PDA

View Full Version : Picking a LEH hunting Area

308Lover
07-17-2012, 02:40 PM
I am absolutely Baffled by the huge number of people who throw darts at a BC map and then, when they get a LEH draw, they come online to Hunting BC and ask questions like " Where is this? Can I drive there? Are there any moose? Where's the best spot to hunt? etc. Only people from southern B.C. and the Island seem to represent the largest number of these (what to call them?). I can gladly give help to young people new to hunting. I had help from members when such a person asked for help getting around his draw zone, and I had to ask for help because he lived on the Island. What is it with you people? Do you just look at draw odds or what? Do you actually resarch Any zones before you apply?I am confused and jealous of these people who get draws in phantom areas and cry for help. Of course our instinct is to help fellow sportsmen when necessary--especially face-to-face in the woods, but what is it with you guys? I'd like to hear your stories of the great LEH choices you blindly (or not so blindly) made.

1980skywalker
07-17-2012, 02:46 PM
The best part about this site is that it connects all of us as hunters and gives us the opportunity to share knowledge and connect with other hunters. You know how the saying goes, 'the grass is always greener on the other side.' So people put in for draws in areas where they think the grass is greener, not all of us have the opportunity to travel and scout constantly, so what if people are asking for a little help? I think that is the best part about this site and it actually gives me faith in other hunters that not everyone hunts zipper lip creek!

schilly101
07-17-2012, 02:50 PM
nothing urks me more than to apply for a area i know well with 5:1 odds for moose and get NIL (which im fine with that part, sucks but maybee next year)..then you see people on here..."oh hey does anybody know how to hunt this area or were do i find moose in that area.." or "never been to ____ before gonna go up and have a look around this weekend maybee..anybody have any tips on were i can find the animals??" then they show up for one weekend..hunt..probley not get anything and dont go back again the rest of the season..just a waste because sombody felt like throwing darts..

rcar
07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I am one of those "people" who put in for an LEH without knowing the area. I did however, do as much research as is possible short of putting foot to dirt but for those of us with families and full time jobs there just isn't any other way. It would be impossible for me to take a 10 day "exploritory" trip 12 hours from home before putting in for the LEH draw, especially when the odds are a long shot. Can you imagine the stupidity of that?

I am not sure what you would suggest? Should I not be allowed to put in for a draw without physically going to the area I am planning on?

If you think about it for a sec, the alternative is for everyone to post a million questions BEFORE putting in for the draw but then there would be a thousand times more questions being asked.

I hear your frustration, but I just don't see any other way to do it. BC is just way too damn big and the big game hunts are just way too far from the LM. You are lucky, you live within a few hours of anything you want to hunt, however 70% of the population in the province doesn't.

schilly101
07-17-2012, 02:54 PM
i would love to see it so you are forced to hunt the region you live in..region 3, or 4, or 5 ect..id give up a moose hunt in the north if it ment everyone from the lower mainland and okanagan had to stay out of region 4..lol now that will never happen and now that i have stirred the hornets nest..im leaving:-P

rcar
07-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Oh forgot to mention....I did put in for my moose and antlerless mulie in the region I have my cabin as I do know it well, but elk and goat were in areas I have never been.

bandit
07-17-2012, 03:12 PM
308Lover as you say all the culprits of this LEH nonsense are from the Island or the Lower Mainland. Bearing in mind almost 80% of the provincial population lives in the LM or the island (where there are no big game, let alone LEH draws) is it any surprise that these hunters look for less pressured hunting grounds?

Choosing an LEH draw by the odds alone is probably the most popular method these hunters use. Realistically, noone is going to spend time money and gas driving across northern bc scouting an area before putting in the LEH. How much research specifically do you expect people to do? Google maps is not much help as it is so outdated for much of BC, ditto the Backroads Mapbooks.

I suspect most people put up those sort of posts about LEH help to INCREASE their chances of success, not to ask someone to give up a honey hole. As 1980Skywalker says, with the invention of the internet and sites such as these it is perfectly normal to exchange ideas and knowledge. There is almost no end to the sort of information that can be exchanged and shared - latest equipment tests, caliber choices, resident priority and FN issues, politics... the list goes on. Given the freedom of other information exchange its pretty harsh to expect an embargo on local nothern bc knowledge relating to LEH success.

riflebuilder
07-17-2012, 03:16 PM
How many of you mainlanders scout out the areas that you put in for when you apply for a Rosevelt draw, come on part of this site is to help guys out.. If I ever get drawn for a Rossie I hope that there is guys on the Island that will give me some pointers. The best way to learn an area is to ask for help and then get out there and hunt. I am going to take one of these lowlanders right up to the ridge where he can shoot a goat. A bunch of sour grapes and belly aching if you ask my opinon. Be a asset and help others out not just a damn winner.....

rcar
07-17-2012, 03:20 PM
How many of you mainlanders scout out the areas that you put in for when you apply for a Rosevelt draw, come on part of this site is to help guys out.. If I ever get drawn for a Rossie I hope that there is guys on the Island that will give me some pointers. The best way to learn an area is to ask for help and then get out there and hunt. I am going to take one of these lowlanders right up to the ridge where he can shoot a goat. A bunch of sour grapes and belly aching if you ask my opinon. Be a asset and help others out not just a damn winner.....

Well said rifleman...except i think you meant "Whiner" not "winner"??/ LOL

pg83
07-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Sounds like the OP missed his moose LEH again. There are far too many variables to simply have black and white on this matter. Odds of the draw, location of the draw, location of the applicant are just the most obvious ones. How one can expect every other person to have a complete hunting plan in place for every hunt they may or may not have a chance to do just makes me shake my head.

This forum is the best source of general information for any given hunt you could think of in BC. The whole point of the websites existence is for the support of hunting and hunters.

emerson
07-17-2012, 03:48 PM
The more draw winners that don't tag an animal, the more draws available next year. Buy trailers, quads, trucks, gas, food, take holidays so others can get some OT at work and do it again next year. Go LEH!!!

sparkes3
07-17-2012, 07:00 PM
so where do you suggest people start
p.s anybody know of any cabins for rent near 7-23 a .

Sitkaspruce
07-17-2012, 07:21 PM
nothing urks me more than to apply for a area i know well with 5:1 odds for moose and get NIL (which im fine with that part, sucks but maybee next year)..then you see people on here..."oh hey does anybody know how to hunt this area or were do i find moose in that area.." or "never been to ____ before gonna go up and have a look around this weekend maybee..anybody have any tips on were i can find the animals??" then they show up for one weekend..hunt..probley not get anything and dont go back again the rest of the season..just a waste because sombody felt like throwing darts..

So how do you suggest people start??? Everyone has to start somewhere, even you did.

I know I did, but I had help in that I love to explore an area and will ask for certain areas to check out, but part of the hunt is the exploring and learning an area.

Better to be part of the solution than part of the problem....and the problem is we need to stick together as hunters. Who really cares if someone throws a dart at the LEH map and gets lucky....at least someone is hunting and keeping the drive alive.

If you did not get the precious draw, it allows you to check out a new area and maybe ask for some general info for your new area......:-P:mrgreen:

i would love to see it so you are forced to hunt the region you live in..region 3, or 4, or 5 ect..id give up a moose hunt in the north if it ment everyone from the lower mainland and okanagan had to stay out of region 4..lol now that will never happen and now that i have stirred the hornets nest..im leaving:-P

Man, who can say anything about this....

Where is FD when you need him........

Cheers

SS

3mk
07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
the grass is greener on the others side . but its just as hard to cut. LOL :razz:

palmer
07-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Now that is some idea....region 2 has tons of great hunting....those boys should be glad to get behind this idea....and to all those persons that make some of there living off travelling hunters...sucks to be you....i guess with ideas that this I am lucky i live in region 8....LOL :smile:

IronNoggin
07-17-2012, 08:12 PM
How many of you mainlanders scout out the areas that you put in for when you apply for a Rosevelt draw.. If I ever get drawn for a Rossie I hope that there is guys on the Island that will give me some pointers.

And... If and when you do draw, I would be more than willing to share what I may know about the area you are afforded to hunt. ;)
OP... not so much as I tend to dislike generalized Labels...

A bunch of sour grapes and belly aching if you ask my opinion. Be a asset and help others out not just a damn whiner.....

Kinda appears that way...

I've put in a LOT of areas I've never been to. Usually on advice of a Buddy or two who have a little insight into what I may be setting myself up for. Odds matter - Local Intel matters MUCH more for me. Rarely draw though, so I'm apparently no real threat to your precious resources in (pick your favorite WMU here)... :mrgreen:

However were I to draw in an unfamiliar spot with no Local Support, I would LIKE to to think I might be able to come to BC's Best Hunting Forum and ask a few general questions. Kinda thought that's part of what Comrades In Arms is all about... :confused:

Cheers,
Nog

shawnwells
07-17-2012, 08:13 PM
The bible says...jealousy is rotten to the bones....

Hank Hunter
07-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Now that is some idea....region 2 has tons of great hunting....those boys should be glad to get behind this idea....and to all those persons that make some of there living off travelling hunters...sucks to be you....i guess with ideas that this I am lucky i live in region 8....LOL :smile:

you are lucky, me too and after 15 years of trying I drew a bull moose in 8-14

Ron.C
07-17-2012, 08:57 PM
man, I hoped all the LEH whining had finished.

The first LEH I ever got was a goat draw in an area I never hunted, or ever even been to. I got some PM's back then from Hunter1947, Goatguy, Budismyhorse and a couple others that helped me out and got me on my way. I never got a goat that year, but have returned and hunted it for several years since and have harvested a few good animals. So it was not a waste in my mind.

This year I put in an LEH for a sheep draw in an tough odds area I have never even had boots on the ground in. Never got the tag, but did get a goat tag the same spot I submitted that first one in several years ago. If I would of got my sheep draw, I would of hit every resource available to try and get some insight that would help, including posting for assistance here on HBC. I've helped other guys on here with Island Elk LEH's that had put in and had no idea where to begin. Why not, others on here did that for me and where is the harm is helping someone else be successful.

And like someone said above, not everyone lives or has grown up in the areas they hunt, or would like to hunt. And hunting tips/info can be very guarded info and its tough when you are just starting out, so why not throw in and LEH and if successful, let that be the deciding factor on where to go. You have to start somewhere.

07-17-2012, 09:28 PM
I've put in a LOT of areas I've never been to. Usually on advice of a Buddy or two who have a little insight into what I may be setting myself up for. Odds matter - Local Intel matters MUCH more for me. Rarely draw though, so I'm apparently no real threat to your precious resources in (pick your favorite WMU here)... :mrgreen:

However were I to draw in an unfamiliar spot with no Local Support, I would LIKE to to think I might be able to come to BC's Best Hunting Forum and ask a few general questions. Kinda thought that's part of what Comrades In Arms is all about... :confused:

Cheers,
Nog

Well said! If you don't like the thread, ignore it. Some of my best hunts have been hunts determined by LEH's. Been from Atlin to the south end of the Flathead valley and some nice country in betwee on draws. Also met hunters on this site who l'm proud to call my friends, again all because of draws. For quite a few years my LEH card was my vacation ticket to see "super natural BC"

Spy
07-17-2012, 09:42 PM
How did you & your son do on your elk hunt ?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?17962-Elk-Hunting-in-Northern-B-C/page2

Thanks for all the info you guys! It all helps---that's why this is such a great web site!

Mmmm!!!

Spy
07-17-2012, 09:52 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?37139-Hunting-zone-5-13-B/page3

Yaah Baby! Check out today's post "Old Fart's Xlent Success!" Thanks to all the gang on the site for their help and advice.
Seems everyone could do with help, once in a while!!!!

Singleshotneeded
07-17-2012, 10:23 PM
I think we should all give general advice to other folks on here if we know an area they get a draw in.
With the size of BC, it's just not feasible to scout in person every spot you might apply in.

The Dude
07-17-2012, 10:33 PM
I hope the OP gets a Rosie draw some day, and all the Islanders and LMLers tell him to go piss up a rope.

Once again Thx to all that contributed to my Stones Sheep LEH Thread! Go HBC!

IslandHunterBXL
07-17-2012, 10:34 PM
wouldnt it be nice to have the money and the time to explore every little nook and cranny of the province then know exactly where to put in for leh (roll eyes)

RENO
07-17-2012, 10:47 PM
This is a large province of diverse terrain, and species , with this said it is impossible to be an expert of all areas of BC. As I am from the Island and am not familiar with all areas, I do allot of research year round of where would be the most productive area for me to hunt, and within my physical limits. Being part of HBC I have learnt allot more than I knew before from first hand experience of fellow members. When the LEH is available I know the species I am looking for and where, and that is the area I try for , high and low odds in and around the area, and hopefully one will win, if not it's plan number two. If I do get a draw I then find the area maps and begin my search to pin point the most productive area in that Region. I don't think making a general statement that Island and LM hunters throw darts at a map to establish where to hunt, is correct. anyone doing this better think twice, not the way to go, and I am sure no hunters on the island approach the LEH in this manner as stated. I like to check the regs,the maps with in topo maps of the area I have chosen, and gather info from fellow hunters who have hunted there , this gives you enough info to have reasonable idea of what to expect. As far as the island , If you are hunting here, and I can help you with info, let me know. Helping each other just adds to the safe enjoyment of the outdoors.
cheers

blackwater moose
07-17-2012, 11:26 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?37139-Hunting-zone-5-13-B/page3

Yaah Baby! Check out today's post "Old Fart's Xlent Success!" Thanks to all the gang on the site for their help and advice.
Seems everyone could do with help, once in a while!!!!

SLAM DUNK i'm thinkin !!!!!

monasheemountainman
07-17-2012, 11:33 PM
I am absolutely Baffled by the huge number of people who throw darts at a BC map and then, when they get a LEH draw, they come online to Hunting BC and ask questions like " Where is this? Can I drive there? Are there any moose? Where's the best spot to hunt? etc. Only people from southern B.C. and the Island seem to represent the largest number of these (what to call them?). I can gladly give help to young people new to hunting. I had help from members when such a person asked for help getting around his draw zone, and I had to ask for help because he lived on the Island. What is it with you people? Do you just look at draw odds or what? Do you actually resarch Any zones before you apply?I am confused and jealous of these people who get draws in phantom areas and cry for help. Of course our instinct is to help fellow sportsmen when necessary--especially face-to-face in the woods, but what is it with you guys? I'd like to hear your stories of the great LEH choices you blindly (or not so blindly) made.

i drew Bison na na na boo boo

kennyj
07-18-2012, 05:31 AM
One thing you could do is stay off HBC then you wouldn't have to read the posts from people asking for a little help!
kenny

Ruger4
07-18-2012, 06:22 AM

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?17962-Elk-Hunting-in-Northern-B-C/page2

Thanks for all the info you guys! It all helps---that's why this is such a great web site!

Mmmm!!!

ah thanks that's the one I was looking for , nothing like a little help from from your fellow HBC'ers

elker
07-18-2012, 07:39 AM
I always throw my darts to new areas. it is a great opportunity to explore beautiful BC. i don't want to put my draw at 5-12 every year only because I know the area very well.

ncurrie
07-18-2012, 07:52 AM
I drew a buffalo this year and never have been up past PG, how are you to experience new hunts if you don't go to places that you never been? If you were to go over to Europe and have never been before, would you not ask for some advice from someone that has been before?

barry1974w
07-18-2012, 08:10 AM

Mmmm!!!

Ha,Ha, How does that foot taste??

barry1974w
07-18-2012, 08:15 AM
The guys on this site have helped me out a few times and I try to help other guys out as much as I can. I hardly have the time to get in a decent hunting trip or two each year (if I get that), and I really don't have the time to take scouting trips if it's more than a few hours from home. All advice I get from others is sincerely appreciated, and I hope that advice I give others helps them out in some small way.

PS. I apply for Bison every year, and I've never been there....

Cami
07-18-2012, 08:33 AM
I one of them i drew a goat up meager mountain and i put a thread up for some help.
I got so busy at work that i can't drive up there to do a scouting trip but i will take about 10 off to get my goat.
I don't wanna know where the best spots are for goat but i wanna know if you can drive across meager creek. In my research i saw that is a "bridge" gravel bed to drive across.
Anyways like everybody on here is saying BC is hugh and we cant be every where.
And of an example what if i went to and area last year to scout and now with all the water the road is washed out so something and i show up and can't get there.
wouldn't you ask before you go on a trip up north just to be sure!!!!

GoatGuy
07-18-2012, 08:35 AM

If you're 'helping' out because necessity you're not really seeing the big picture.

.330 Dakota
07-18-2012, 08:36 AM
so where do you suggest people start
p.s anybody know of any cabins for rent near 7-23 a .

lmao.......

.330 Dakota
07-18-2012, 08:39 AM
wouldnt it be nice to have the money and the time to explore every little nook and cranny of the province then know exactly where to put in for leh (roll eyes)

Ya thenwe would all be hunting in the same unit,,,not much hunting going on but 1 heel of a HBC party...lol

07-18-2012, 08:44 AM
You may get Bafled by people who put in for areas they dont know and ask for help?
Well i get baffled by threads like this. I thought this sites whole purpose was to ask questions about hunting, And that you the guy who has the answers can decide weather or not to post.
Course this thread could just as easile be you tring to stir the pot... Since you havent responded. Even to the fact you did exactly what you are talking about.

Fricken Stupid.

.330 Dakota
07-18-2012, 08:51 AM
You may get Bafled by people who put in for areas they dont know and ask for help?
Well i get baffled by threads like this. I thought this sites whole purpose was to ask questions about hunting, And that you the guy who has the answers can decide weather or not to post.
Course this thread could just as easile be you tring to stir the pot... Since you havent responded. Even to the fact you did exactly what you are talking about.

Fricken Stupid.

I like to do as much research as possible before applying. I will dig through maps and info on the area, then I will ask HBC'ers for input, and will bounce all comments and info off my own research and google earth etc,,,look at internet pix...then I will put in for the LEH,,,this year I was fortuneate enough to go and scout it as well.
I dont want a tag in a area that is miserable to hunt, or where you show up with the wrong gear...just common sense to do the research before applying. Then if the research says no-go you can switch area's and start over without wasting a tag.
JMO, but I also dont get too bent out of shape when people ask for advice on here either,,I just think it would be smarter on their part to do the research. Even if they cant afford the time or money to scout,,,check it out online as much as possible.

07-18-2012, 09:03 AM
.330 Dak
Me too, i put hours of Map book time. i print the LEH hunts out and corosponding maps so i can have one in each hand. Tonnes of google time.... Every time im at the tv and a comercial is on there is a book or a lap top in my hand..... BUT!!!!!!!

Me'n you and others here are not Everybody! There are members of this site that are starting out and dont have our experiance in how to reaserch. Or maybe it is their first LEH???
We know how to think and what to think. People here just assume that the guy asking the question is some slack ass lazy guy who just willy nilly tosses in and gets the draw.... Sure that may be it some times..
But who cares. Help him or dont help him that is your choice...... Dont post a stupid thread about people asking questions on a forum who's point is information. There are different levels of hunter, and different "Drives" in them all.... I sure as hell aint cut out for Sheep or Goat Those guys go the extra mile.... Should i be put down because i have no idea about it? No

Popove
07-18-2012, 03:49 PM
308 lover is a wiener

.330 Dakota
07-18-2012, 03:54 PM
.330 Dak
Me too, i put hours of Map book time. i print the LEH hunts out and corosponding maps so i can have one in each hand. Tonnes of google time.... Every time im at the tv and a comercial is on there is a book or a lap top in my hand..... BUT!!!!!!!

Me'n you and others here are not Everybody! There are members of this site that are starting out and dont have our experiance in how to reaserch. Or maybe it is their first LEH???
We know how to think and what to think. People here just assume that the guy asking the question is some slack ass lazy guy who just willy nilly tosses in and gets the draw.... Sure that may be it some times..
But who cares. Help him or dont help him that is your choice...... Dont post a stupid thread about people asking questions on a forum who's point is information. There are different levels of hunter, and different "Drives" in them all.... I sure as hell aint cut out for Sheep or Goat Those guys go the extra mile.... Should i be put down because i have no idea about it? No

Agreed...............

Mulehahn
07-18-2012, 04:17 PM
The OP seemed to focus on people people who apply for draws based solely on good odds. The only LEHs I put in for are long shots (Rosie, Bison, Coastal Griz, Region 3 Moose, etc) because I plan my hunts well in advance. With the exception of region 3 moose I would be lost on all of them, even though I have been to most of the areas. What about the person who gets a once in a life time draw. I am not going to spend my time examening an area I will probably never get to hunt. Or last year when highway 37 got washed out and my caribou hunt got screwed, along with all the research I had done. I needed help and a few members on here were great. Like many have said, if you don't want to help don't.

RENO
07-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I am absolutely Baffled by the huge number of people who throw darts at a BC map and then, when they get a LEH draw, they come online to Hunting BC and ask questions like " Where is this? Can I drive there? Are there any moose? Where's the best spot to hunt? etc. Only people from southern B.C. and the Island seem to represent the largest number of these (what to call them?). where and who told you people throw darts at a map? And can you say it's the guy's from the island and Lower main land representing the largest number of these guy's, awhile ago someone, said it was the lower mainland and island guys who were dumping garbage in the interior as well? There are allot of great guys that hunt in both these regions and I highly doubt they would fall in either one of these two make believe situations. What you call us is Fellow Hunters/ Conservation minded people!

I can gladly give help to young people new to hunting. I had help from members when such a person asked for help getting around his draw zone, and I had to ask for help because he lived on the Island. So you do help? that's nice and you actually needed help on the Island? Is this where the dart hit for you? and you knew all about the Island when you got that opportunity to hunt here, NO! you asked for HELP! so why did you pick and get this phantom area? Sounds like what your stating applied to you in this situation as well. Hum

What is it with you people? Do you just look at draw odds or what? Do you actually resarch Any zones before you apply?I am confused and jealous of these people who get draws in phantom areas and cry for help. Of course our instinct is to help fellow sportsmen when necessary--especially face-to-face in the woods, but what is it with you guys? I'd like to hear your stories of the great LEH choices you blindly (or not so blindly) made.
I will conclude in saying, anybody picking blindly with no knowledge of area,game and expectations has either too much time, too much money to blow on entries, and needs to sit down and think if hunting and venturing in the woods is what he should be doing. This is a sport and lifestyle not to be taken lightly especially in the wild and with firearms, you need to be prepared in every way, and know what your goal is and your limitations , hunting is an experience and an ongoing learning trip, sharing knowledge is part of the journey, and that is why most of us are on HBC. Members here vary in knowledge and experience and there are no dumb questions. I hope that whom ever is putting in for an LEH knows in advance what they are choosing and if they are chosen take the chance! The only part of the LEH that bothers me is people putting in for draws on hunts they know well in advance they will never complete and take the opportunity from someone who has waited along time to get a chance. We are all hunters here and all members should be respected, the clowns eventually fall by the way side, these are the ones to look out for and they are not all on the island and lower mainland, cheers be safe and good hunting.

dana
07-18-2012, 07:08 PM
To the life of me, I can never recall once ever asking for advice on an area I drew on a hunting website. There is a ton of info on sites like this and we should encourage people to use the search function and actually do some homework for themselves instead of having others spew the same things over and over and over again. I totally understand the point the OP was getting at. There are a lot of lazy people on these sites who not only can't get off their asses and scout their own areas but can't use Google, Google Earth or the simple search engines located on the same forums they are on. Every year I get gobs and gobs of PM's and emails from people wanting to know where to go. It is like they think I am going to part with all the good info I personally gained myself and hand it over to complete strangers. Did these same people try to get the smart people to do their homework for them in highschool too?

rcar
07-18-2012, 08:33 PM
To the life of me, I can never recall once ever asking for advice on an area I drew on a hunting website. There is a ton of info on sites like this and we should encourage people to use the search function and actually do some homework for themselves instead of having others spew the same things over and over and over again. I totally understand the point the OP was getting at. There are a lot of lazy people on these sites who not only can't get off their asses and scout their own areas but can't use Google, Google Earth or the simple search engines located on the same forums they are on. Every year I get gobs and gobs of PM's and emails from people wanting to know where to go. It is like they think I am going to part with all the good info I personally gained myself and hand it over to complete strangers. Did these same people try to get the smart people to do their homework for them in highschool too?

I totally understand your point Dana....you and a few select others, who have been here a long time probably get a bulk of the "troller" crap. That being said....this is a forum of shared knowledge and I would expect that "most" folks here are good hunters just looking for some additional info...as I am for my goat hunt this fall. I have done everything I can thing of but still want to gather as much info as possible before I spend 2 grand and my 2 weeks vacation on a hunt. Unfortunately the very lucky few that have the knowledge are asked for it more often.....kinda like the Bank I suppose.

I have read most of your posts over the past year and a bit and have never detected any bitterness towards anyones questions. I hope the offline PM's don't affect your willingness to help.... I believe it is much appreciated by the bulk of this group as it is by me.

pg83
07-18-2012, 10:22 PM
I have found PM's to be far more useful than posting a thread. Like Dana mentioned, use the search function. You will likely find a number of threads on your specific hunt and you will probably find that the same few people have been replying to those particular threads. Gather the info that you can from those threads and if you still have questions, PM the guys/gals who seem to have some knowledge. If you present yourself as being at least somewhat educated and you type a personalized message to someone you are far more likely to receive a response than not.

monasheemountainman
07-18-2012, 11:11 PM

we all think it, but whats the point of whining about it?

Ovis17
07-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by RENO.....

"The only part of the LEH that bothers me is people putting in for draws on hunts they know well in advance they will never complete and take the opportunity from someone who has waited a long time to get a chance."

Definately irritates me too. People putting in for draws and then not even going without a good reason.

Bromley
07-19-2012, 01:11 AM
DIDO, and I also agree with the point regarding applying with the knowledge that you will not part take in the hunt, that I also understand!

I have to type my piece as well as this has been eating at me for a while on here:

First and foremost Ill put it right out there, I have asked for more advice on here than I have ever given on here. Reason for this being, I am 21 years old, have never had a hunting mentor, picked the hobby/sport up myself, and spend all of my few hours and dollars taking my little brothers, and now my father as well out. I go to school, work, and play high level sports full time and have little free money and time and yet I am spreading the sport we are all on here because we love.

I cannot say enough about some of the people on here, I have had people PHONE me and offer advice (to a complete stranger )and been so overwhelmingly kind its absurd. I would take any of these people out for a bevvy anytime we were in the same area. However, this being said there sure are some people on here (they know who they are) who act like the saltiest of sea dogs, and it is really to bad for the forum as a whole.

As I said I have taken from this site more than I have given; that being said, if I had something to give I would, but at my juncture and ability at the sport in life I do not. One day when I am an "HBC champ" and more importantly more versed in the ways of the woods I will be more than willing to help a fellow outdoors men out, as I will always remember how I got there!

Different strokes for different folks, I am an easy going guy but some of these posts are down right unnecessary, if you don't like people asking for advice then skip those threads! For such experienced outdoors men it should not bother you some rookie asking for some assistance on areas. Its our right to hunt, right to ask questions, and our right to help others.

That being said I cannot say enough about some of the people on here, amazing, and I will give back what I can to the site and the outdoors community. STAY SAFE, SPREAD THE SPORT, AND HAVE FUN!!!

.330 Dak

barry1974w
07-19-2012, 08:20 AM
DIDO, and I also agree with the point regarding applying with the knowledge that you will not part take in the hunt, that I also understand!

I have to type my piece as well as this has been eating at me for a while on here:

First and foremost Ill put it right out there, I have asked for more advice on here than I have ever given on here. Reason for this being, I am 21 years old, have never had a hunting mentor, picked the hobby/sport up myself, and spend all of my few hours and dollars taking my little brothers, and now my father as well out. I go to school, work, and play high level sports full time and have little free money and time and yet I am spreading the sport we are all on here because we love.

I cannot say enough about some of the people on here, I have had people PHONE me and offer advice (to a complete stranger )and been so overwhelmingly kind its absurd. I would take any of these people out for a bevvy anytime we were in the same area. However, this being said there sure are some people on here (they know who they are) who act like the saltiest of sea dogs, and it is really to bad for the forum as a whole.

As I said I have taken from this site more than I have given; that being said, if I had something to give I would, but at my juncture and ability at the sport in life I do not. One day when I am an "HBC champ" and more importantly more versed in the ways of the woods I will be more than willing to help a fellow outdoors men out, as I will always remember how I got there!

Different strokes for different folks, I am an easy going guy but some of these posts are down right unnecessary, if you don't like people asking for advice then skip those threads! For such experienced outdoors men it should not bother you some rookie asking for some assistance on areas. Its our right to hunt, right to ask questions, and our right to help others.

That being said I cannot say enough about some of the people on here, amazing, and I will give back what I can to the site and the outdoors community. STAY SAFE, SPREAD THE SPORT, AND HAVE FUN!!!

Well said.

Spy
07-19-2012, 08:58 AM

X2 well said! I will add that in my search/quest for more info on mule deer years back , I stumbled on a post by Dana! I was totally flawed by the wealth of knowledge shared by him & others I joined HBC & am still learning!
Thanks to Dana & all others that share their knowledge & make this site what it is today,without you we would be lost!
Thanks
Spy

billjc33
07-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Call it selfish, but I'm not advertising on a public forum where my draws are, how successful I am and how to hunt the area. I will generalize, region 5 or region 7a but not going to give detailed information. Why would I want to advertise my area and my success to thousands of people and have my odds next year shrunk substantially. But I think growing up in PG and hunting here your whole life you sometimes get i don't know frustrated seeing the same lower mainland guys with draws every year when you can't get one. The pressure and odds for draws around PG are not very good, I have had to move my draws outside of the "daytrip" zone to get success. I would love to see the odds increased for locals, isn't the outdoors life one of the perks to people living in the north.

springpin
07-19-2012, 04:59 PM
I put in for areas I know, or that are close to home. That's it that's all!

MichelD
07-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I like to adventure around and try new places. Maybe I've been deer hunting here or deer hunting there or even on a summer drive somewhere new in the province and wondered "what would it be like to hunt here?" So next year I might put in for a draw. Or possibly a buddy has said he had success in X area, so I apply there. I don't know much about moose so I need all the help I can get.

Sure, I'll do all the forum searches and even Google searches and look at Google Earth and ask friends, but as part of the research process I may ask here too. I've had excellent unselfish advice from numerous members here (too many to name names) who pointed me in the right direction, then it was up to me to succeed or not. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't.

Sometimes you just get lucky. When I got my Roosevelt elk bull draw it was in an area close to where I grew up I knew somewhat, though I'd never even seen a Roosevelt elk in my life and a local friend of my dad's knew the area even better. When I got my Rosie cow draw it was a fluke that I happened to stop by a farm to buy eggs near the Island Highway and asked the lady if she ever saw the elk around.

"See them? They live here, they were just here this morning," she said. "If you want to apply for a draw for this area you can shoot one here."

So I did.

M.Dean
07-19-2012, 05:27 PM
How many guys on here have put in for Buffalo and never being to Pink Mnt or the 171 Rd, Chicken Crik or the Ranch? I've had some of my greatest hunting trips in places I've never been before!!! To me, anyone who belittles someone for asking a question about a certain area, or about the game numbers etc, simply has never experienced the rush of leaving camp in the dark on the first day of a 10 day hunt in a area you've only seen on maps! And, as we've read in a number of post here, some of the guys that do ask questions about the MU there draws in have never being there before, they could be new Hunters, or just guys like myself that love seeing new country!!! So, in retrospect, anyone who hates to help out fellow Hunters, or maybe new Hunters, you maybe happier clicking on to "Ann Landers or even "Oprah's" web sites, (you might want to ask them how to avoid being bitchy during "That" time of the month too)!!! Instead of ranting on a Hunting site such as this one, where most folks like to help fellow Hunters! The End! ( Insert Happy Face Here!)

hunter1947
07-20-2012, 02:47 AM
A person can throw a dart anywhere on the regs but a person does not have to tell them anything if they don't want to ,thats up to that person thats being asked..

308Lover
08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Well that was fun! Got you all talking didn't it? Check my post (which was mostly tongue-in-cheek as opposed to foot in mouth)and you will ,see that I was interested in how people actually picked a zone (usually near me).Most people I've met are indeed from Van Isle and Lower Mainland (no secret due to the BC population zones --that's not a negative.) This is a great site for getting help. I asked for help for 2 old farts Xlent adventure on behalf of a complete stranger from Van Isle., whom I agreed to "guide" in his LEH zone. I asked for help to clarify current conditions (logging etc.) even though I knew the area. Good on you guys.NOT THE QUESTION HOWEVER! I did learn about some research, however. In 1969 my hunting partner and I drove to Germansen Landing to hunt based on "lotsa rivers and swamps" and a 1930's description of hunting during the hunt for gold.
That was an adventure. We are lucky to have Hunting BC today. People stepped up recently and helped my cousin's widow dispose of his firearms since she is in Kelowna, and I'm in PG. Lighten up! There's no disrespect here about LEH choices, and I still love to hear stories of how regions were chosen.( I chose the same one (near my cabin) for 20 years unsuccesfully-LOL, but met a lot of people from the Lower Mainland. When you're retired it's hard to imagine how important it is for people to get their one and only crack at hunting on a short-lived holiday. Yes, you guys make it easier to research an area rather than the old "let's look at a map" routine some of us relied on (before LEH.) I just know some looked at the odds column for moose and filled in the best ones---wherever that might be. Ha! Ha! Good luck this year. (PS--got 2 bull tags on a group hunt coming to a theater near me)

Spy
08-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Did you even read your first post again, before you decided to suger coat it with the last ! You wrote what you wrote there is no changing it now 20 days later , nice try though !
Just to add last year I got a draw for 7-27 had never been there before thanks to Sitca Spruce & others for all the info! I got a nice bull ! Call us Islanders what you want,just know we will be more then willing to help, even you when you one day get a Rosie Draw !

Gateholio
08-05-2012, 04:47 PM
LEH draws have taken me to some areas I never knew existed. Thanks to some HBC members, we had good times and some background knowledge of the area before we left. I admit it irks me a bit when people put in for high odds hunts when they pretty much know they won't be able to do it, or for remote areas without checking to see if it needs boat or plane access, but I don't have an issue with people putting in for something across the province and then asking for help. We all gotta start somewhere when hunting a new area.

It's really not that much different than when someone says "Hey, I think I will try hunting Reg XXX this year in GOS, anyone got any tips?"

Of course, if these questions bother you, then you arent' obligated to respond.

Spy
08-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Of course, if these questions bother you, then you arent' obligated to respond.[/QUOTE]
Hit the nail on the head !
If you don't like sharing than you don't have to nobody is forcing you to!
I would also like to hunt elk in my back yard but all these mainlanders keep putting in for them,that the odds are rediculous ! LOL!!!

RENO
08-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Of course, if these questions bother you, then you arent' obligated to respond.
Hit the nail on the head !
If you don't like sharing than you don't have to nobody is forcing you to!
I would also like to hunt elk in my back yard but all these mainlanders keep putting in for them,that the odds are rediculous ! LOL!!![/QUOTE]

well said, 200:1 odds for elk been that way as long as I can remember, between the clients of guides the grizz up island and natural and unnatural demise
I highly doubt to get a crack at one, unless I book a guide, as a non Canadian and pay for it. :idea:

curt
08-06-2012, 08:19 AM
You said it I've been thinking it for years I always laugh it usually only takes hrs after the draw results come out for all the "hey I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole here.....BUT" ya I dont get it!? I like to do all my research well before I decide what area I'm putting in for. The best advice I have is contact the local Biologist or CO they are normally very accomidating and helpful, there are few helpful guys around forsure but planning a trip off someone else's opinions or experiences of an area is risky bussiness IMO. Say what you want most hunters who have spent yrs figuring out area's, the game and how to approach their hunt in their spot, arent going to just broadcast that over the forum!?!? and really why would they?