PDA

View Full Version : Willow

willyqbc
07-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Her name is Willow and she is 8 weeks old. We picked her up from Eromit Labs Sunday night.

House training is going very well....not a single accident so far and whenever she goes outside she allready heads straight for the dog run to do her business! Crate training is also going well, she and I had a rough sleepless night the first night in the crate but i think it was because we had the crate out in our front hall. Last night we moved the crate into our bedroom so she could hear us breathing and know we were nearby and she slept through the night....except for one odd incident where she woke up at around 2 am beat the crap out of her tiger stuffy for 2 minutes then went immediately back to sleep, not even sure she was actually awake, haha!!.
She has been to the lake a couple of times and happily goes in the water up to her tummy, but no further, but there are too many people and boats around at the beach at Lazy days, so may take her out to a less crowded lake this afternoon instead, pretty sure it will not be long before we can't keep her out of the water!.
"Come" and "Sit" are extremely reliable allready....thanks to Eromit for that!!! She also seems to have a very natural "heel", wherever i go, she follows just off to the side of my left heel, even with all the distractions there was at the beach, obviously I have been encouraging this and introducing the word "heel" to her as she does this!

My daughter has a ton of pics on her phone but i can't seem to figure out how to get them onto the computer so i will take some with my camera at the lake tonight to post up!

Chris

P.S. she also seems to like Wild TV, seemed pretty interested when she heard the duck calls this morning, also watched very closely when a coyote hunting show was on!!

Kasomor
07-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Her name is Willow and she is 8 weeks old. We picked her up from Eromit Labs Sunday night.

House training is going very well....not a single accident so far and whenever she goes outside she allready heads straight for the dog run to do her business! Crate training is also going well, she and I had a rough sleepless night the first night in the crate but i think it was because we had the crate out in our front hall. Last night we moved the crate into our bedroom so she could hear us breathing and know we were nearby and she slept through the night....except for one odd incident where she woke up at around 2 am beat the crap out of her tiger stuffy for 2 minutes then went immediately back to sleep, not even sure she was actually awake, haha!!.
She has been to the lake a couple of times and happily goes in the water up to her tummy, but no further, but there are too many people and boats around at the beach at Lazy days, so may take her out to a less crowded lake this afternoon instead, pretty sure it will not be long before we can't keep her out of the water!.
"Come" and "Sit" are extremely reliable allready....thanks to Eromit for that!!! She also seems to have a very natural "heel", wherever i go, she follows just off to the side of my left heel, even with all the distractions there was at the beach, obviously I have been encouraging this and introducing the word "heel" to her as she does this!

My daughter has a ton of pics on her phone but i can't seem to figure out how to get them onto the computer so i will take some with my camera at the lake tonight to post up!

Chris

P.S. she also seems to like Wild TV, seemed pretty interested when she heard the duck calls this morning, also watched very closely when a coyote hunting show was on!!

I'm not one to say "told ya so"........ BUT..... told ya she'd know come and sit already!!:lol:

Congratulations on the new fur kid! Looking forward to seeing pictures....lots of 'em!

willyqbc
07-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Took her to the gravel pit and had my son shoot the 22 about 75 yards away....first few shots she didn't even notice. Then she saw him standing there and wandered over to within 50 yards and quietly sat and watched him as he fired off the rest of the clip. Only reaction at all was she would turn her head to look at where he was shooting towards....I'm assuming she heard the bullets hit and it drew her attention.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/by_the_lake.JPG (javascript:;)

After that we headed up to a little lake to see if she wanted to swim. The kids went in to about knee deep and she followed them right in and swam a 10 yard loop around them then back out. Did that 3 or 4 times but the bugs were chewing on us all so we called it an afternoon!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/first_swim.JPG (javascript:;)

.....currently passed out in the living room!

Chris

Ruger4
07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
looks like a keeper !!

yamadirt 426
07-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Wow. Sounds like it couldn't go any better congrats !!

ActionJackson017
07-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Awesome! She looks great!

ianwuzhere
07-17-2012, 06:04 PM
very nice- congrats

willyqbc
07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
First water retrieve today!! Did some retrieves with her in the yard this morning and she did 4 perfect retrieves of about 15-20yds going straight out, picking up and coming straight back to me, sitting down at my feet and happily trading me the dummy for a treat. Took her out to the lake for a quick swim after lunch let her go in and out a few times then showed her the dummy and tossed it about 15 feet into the lake....she went out picked it up and brought it back to me, then we had a party on the beach. Did one more short one and then let her have the run of the place for a while. The lake is quite shallow for a long ways out so she didn't have to swim for the dummy but just wanted to introduce her to the idea of fetching in the water, was pretty happy with how it went!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/1st_water_retrieve.JPG (javascript:;)

and about 10 minutes after we got home!!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/snoozing.JPG (javascript:;)

07-19-2012, 01:24 PM
That last one sure is a contented puppy!

frenchbar
07-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Great looking dog!. gotta love those Labs .

blackford
07-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Awesome pics and dog

BCHunterTV
07-19-2012, 10:23 PM
cute looking lil pup

willyqbc
08-10-2012, 02:53 PM
So Willow is now 11 weeks old and progressing well in her training......at least to my inexperienced eye she seems to be. Sit, come, heel, all VERY reliable, down and stay coming along very nicely. Crate training and house breaking is going very well and she sleeps through the night without having to go out for a whiz at 2:30 am anymore!!! WOO HOO!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/stay.JPG (javascript:;)

She will do water retrieves but still isn't crazy about the water, so not pushing her on that. We take her to the lake daily and she will come around to loving the water when she is ready.....she is a lab after all!!! Her retrieves on dry ground are coming along very nicely I think. She is very reliable on open ground retrieves and I have begun throwing into the tall grass in our old garden.....she doesn't always go straight to it but will root around in the grass and generally come up with it!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/long_grass_retrieve.JPG (javascript:;)

Have also started blood trailing with her with some basic tracks using her favourite treat (elk rib with a bit of good stuff left on). Just doing basic tracks by dragging the rib through the grass and leaving piles of treats along the way and leaving the rib for her at the end of the track. No problems with the straight ahead track and have added some 90 degree turns and intermittentantly lifting the rib off the grass for a pace or 2 and she doesn't seem to have too much trouble with that. She tends to cast around a bit where i have lifted the rib up for a pace or two but seems to pick it up again without much trouble and has completed each track I have lain so far!!

overall, very happy with the way things are going!

Chris

08-10-2012, 02:57 PM
You play too much X-Box! lol!

your pup looks just like mine did. Nice work!

pnbrock
08-10-2012, 03:13 PM
thats a cutie for sure!keep up with the progress reports.

willyqbc
08-10-2012, 03:20 PM
You play too much X-Box! lol!

HAHA!!! I have a 12 year old with a short attention span....gets a new game, plays for a while, gets bored, buys new game.......and repeat!!!

Chris

yamadirt 426
08-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Looking good! One thing I haven't done much of is tracking. Is she gonna see any hunting time this fall ?

willyqbc
08-13-2012, 06:02 AM
she for sure will see a bunch of hunting time this fall. hope to get her onto a couple blood trails and put her in the vicinity of some birds. Not expecting she will actually get out and flush up the birds but would like to get her exposed to them some anyway! I will shoot some grouse/rabbits and let her go out and pick them up etc. Hoping to get her out with some friends with experienced bird dogs so she can see what it's all about!

Chris

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
08-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Nice puppy. Good luck with the training.

Mooseman
08-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Nice looking pup Chris!