PDA

View Full Version : new bow break in

Big Lew
07-17-2012, 07:47 AM
I've owned 4 new bows during approximately 25 years. The first 2 were long ago and I wasn't consistent or confident enough at the time to evaluate their performance. The 3rd bow fit me comfortably and I have done well with it. Once I had shot about 250-300 arrows through it I haven't had to adjust the multi-pin sights anymore....I still have it and rely on it as my backup, knowing it's stable and ready to go. With my new PSE Dream Season bow, after about 150-200 shots, I had it tuned and serviced, including the rubberless peep re-adjusted (string stretch had it turned a bit). Now, after approximately 225- 250 shots, I've had to adjust my sight system twice, both because I was hitting too low. The next few days of practice should determine if it will stabilize or not. (Both the bow shop and I have checked that all the screws etc. are tight) So, my question to all is....have others noticed a settling in period similar to mine with their new bows, and if not, can you offer any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Yea.. its your shitty factory strings.... they will never stop stretching... therfore you will never stop having to adjust.... invest in a custom set made from either 8190 material.... or 452x material.... ... i personally wont seriously shoot factory strings anymore ... when I buy a bow I buget a new set of strings .... the best factory strings I had were on my 2011 elite ... the worst were on my 2007 pse followed closely by my 2012 elite..... hoyts were not terrible Martins were pretty good actually... Bowtech was good untill they went away from wc in 2008 ... Now they suck-ka-ka

Big Lew
07-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Yea.. its your shitty factory strings.... they will never stop stretching... therfore you will never stop having to adjust.... invest in a custom set made from either 8190 material.... or 452x material.... ... i personally wont seriously shoot factory strings anymore ... when I buy a bow I buget a new set of strings .... the best factory strings I had were on my 2011 elite ... the worst were on my 2007 pse followed closely by my 2012 elite..... hoyts were not terrible Martins were pretty good actually... Bowtech was good untill they went away from wc in 2008 ... Now they suck-ka-ka

Thanks for your reply....now that you mention it, my last bow has an after market non-stretch string that I had installed after noticing stretch. For some reason I had assumed this new bow came with a quality string.

Ruger4
07-17-2012, 08:35 AM
I've owned 4 new bows during approximately 25 years. The first 2 were long ago and I wasn't consistent or confident enough at the time to evaluate their performance. The 3rd bow fit me comfortably and I have done well with it. Once I had shot about 250-300 arrows through it I haven't had to adjust the multi-pin sights anymore....I still have it and rely on it as my backup, knowing it's stable and ready to go. With my new PSE Dream Season bow, after about 150-200 shots, I had it tuned and serviced, including the rubberless peep re-adjusted (string stretch had it turned a bit). Now, after approximately 225- 250 shots, I've had to adjust my sight system twice, both because I was hitting too low. The next few days of practice should determine if it will stabilize or not. (Both the bow shop and I have checked that all the screws etc. are tight) So, my question to all is....have others noticed a settling in period similar to mine with their new bows, and if not, can you offer any suggestions or comments. Thanks.,

my 2011 Evo 6 has the original string and has worked perfectly , little tweek after 100 or so arrows but to date has been flawless..............

doing my Omen as we speak with 8190, my hooded peep serving let go and was cutting strands on my 452X during the R100, didnt want to risk a dry fire with that bow, so off she came.

I have Majesty string from Angel on my Vendetta XL which is going through some tests and trials , wont have a full report for a bit but first indications says it doesnt like direct sun !!!
however shooting Majesty indoors with the Vendetta and Supra worked excellent , the Majesty finish's smooth as glass......

The Hermit
07-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Who then makes excellent quality strings?

Riverbc
07-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Winner's Choice to name one company.

Big Lew
07-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Winner's Choice to name one company.

I believe that's the string I had installed on my old bow....and as I said, it's not given me any problems at all.

000buck
07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
my peep was moving .... my rest was mis aligned and a host of other problems but they are sorted now. no more problems

donny.brooke
08-21-2012, 03:24 PM

my 2011 Evo 6 has the original string and has worked perfectly , little tweek after 100 or so arrows but to date has been flawless..............

doing my Omen as we speak with 8190, my hooded peep serving let go and was cutting strands on my 452X during the R100, didnt want to risk a dry fire with that bow, so off she came.

I have Majesty string from Angel on my Vendetta XL which is going through some tests and trials , wont have a full report for a bit but first indications says it doesnt like direct sun !!!
however shooting Majesty indoors with the Vendetta and Supra worked excellent , the Majesty finish's smooth as glass......
Who is majesty by angel? Never heard of them

StoneChaser
08-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Definately replace your strings, as string stretch is likely the culprit.

Bowtech was good untill they went away from wc in 2008 ... Now they suck-ka-ka

Definately have to disagree with ya on this one....have had two 2010 Admirals, a 2011 D340, 2011 D350 and an Invasion and the factory strings have been excellent. Just finally replaced the one Admiral last spring after a few hunting/shooting seasons with Proline Xs2 Strings.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-22-2012, 08:29 AM

Crackers!!!!
send your bow away to be Crackerized ... ;)

there are many quality aftermarket string makers ... there are equally some shitty ones ... I dont wanna say who makes good ones nor bad ones ... cause I dont want the thread to be locked down ;)

Bowzone_Mikey
08-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Hermit ... I just got Both my Elites some new threads... the only problem is I dont know where Don got them from(long story about supply and demand chain ... wanted one companys ... he was sick or something so he got behind ... went with another etc...) ... In the last week i have put probally 300 arrows through both of them and they are rock solid ... I am pleased

had a "super Tuning" session ... I was stacking arrows in a hurry .... My daughter is pissed that I have ruined her shooting mat ... Those latest pics on my FB page were the first few shot s outta my bows...

donny.brooke
08-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Im glad your strings are working good for you mikey, good strings make a world of difference.