PDA

View Full Version : Cow Moose Draw 3-42 Seaking Advice

tightgrouper
07-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi Folks,

My hunting buddies and I are reasonably new hunters and have FINALLY acquired a cow moose draw for 3-42 which starts Nov 01. While we have all been hunting deer for the past 5, 6 ,8 years this will be our first real go at a moose and we are excited but no this is no easy task. I just want to put my feelers out there for some advice.
I understand some basic issues about this hunt. First off in that area, be prepared for snow, even to the point where we may have to evacuate the area to avoid spending the winter there. There is no rut or way to call cows and Its been hunted well in the previous month. In summary we do not know much.
How does one find these critters up there at that time of year.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The Dawg
07-16-2012, 09:55 AM
You can call cows in.

Learn a cow/calf in distress.

Youtube will be a friend here.

tightgrouper
07-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the input folks. Much appreciated. And if anyone has something to add, my all means, fill your boots.

Thanks again.

Allen50
07-17-2012, 10:54 AM
what happened to year 7, just woundering,,:shock:

tightgrouper
07-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Well, no one in my group has hunted for exactly 7 years.

recoil
07-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Never hunted that area before but i would suggest hope for some fresh snow (but not too much!) and road hunt in an attempt cut some fresh tracks and follow them to your moose. This strategy has come through before for me during late season hunts. Bring a quad or sled if you can to help get around.

SUAFOYT
07-17-2012, 02:56 PM
You might run into snow or not. Come up from the south. Go from Louis Ck to Agate Bay on Adams Lk., hang a left and follow that all the way to the Mowich forestry campsite. You're still in 3-37 there but just a little farther and you're in 42. Or you can come in from the Vavenby end and use the Vavenby/Adams FSR. At Graffunder lakes rec site you're in 3-42. Good luck.

cameron0518
07-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Moose are so big that if they are there, you will see them just like deer. Don't overthink it. If you guys have hunted deer for that long, you don't need any more info. Go out there, enjoy and look for a big dark object in the bush. Just make sure you got enough gear to get it out. cordless sawzall apparently is the way to go.