PDA

View Full Version : What a Day.

springpin
07-15-2012, 10:46 PM
So, this morning my buddy(Chris) gives me a shout and wants to go fishing...Like I can say no. Get my gear together, zip over to his place. We get on the road, and the weather starts going down hill fast. We figure, what the hell were going anyway.

We get to the lake, weather starts to smarten up. We launch Chris's boat, and he's fishing. I quickly inflate my Navigator 2, and I'm in the water. Not much action on the top, lots of bugs, but nothing rising to the occasion. So I decide to switch reels and go with an intermediate sinking line, and start kicking around the lake switching patterns quite often.

Mean while, Chris is trolling around with his 12' tinney, and electric motor, with not much luck either.

About 2.5hrs into the day, I decide to throw on a Mickey Finn. Roughly 20min after tying on Mr. Mickey....WHAM! My 6 weight rod doubles over, and my BFR reel screams! FISH ON!

The fish is ripping out line, and now I'm into my backing. After about 10mins of tug of war, she decides to go acrobatic...She's BIG.

Chris is across the lake, and I need his net. I yell to him, and he zips over. Comes behind me, and ties off. He grabs my point and shoot digicam, and starts to video the battle. This fish does NOT want to come in at all, and my wrist is getting cooked. Finally after a LONG 45min scrap she's in the net. She measured 64cm and weighed 7lb 8oz. Now, I'm normally a catch and release guy, but, my inlaws are in town, and I felt like bringing a fish home for supper...Was it EVER GOOD!! That fish fed myself, wife and kids, and the in laws.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/springpin_2010/020.jpg

So Chris is now deflated, so I give him a Mickey Finn I tied up Saturday night. He heads off on his way. Not even 5 mins after he's trolling. WHAM!! Fish on!! Now, Chris is in his boat with a flyrod and a spinning rod..lol!! and he didn't have time to reel in the other line. Boy did that fish make a mess. His Fish weighed in at 62cm and 6lbs 3oz.

Sorry about the long story..But thats my biggest fish so far this year, and I'm pumped.

Here's the 2 of us with our fish.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/springpin_2010/023.jpg

coach
07-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Wow! Looks like an awesome day. Great fish - congratulations!

2chodi
07-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Truly a fabulous day. Can't have too many of them.

sneaky67
07-15-2012, 11:45 PM
What lake is that if you dont mind me asking, two beautiful fish

ianwuzhere
07-16-2012, 12:55 AM
very nice- good job guys!!! them pix make me wanna get out fishing!

The Dude
07-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Nice fishes!
Looks really shallow, that lake.....big fish with no cover!

springpin
07-16-2012, 06:07 AM
The lake is shallow for the first 30ft, all around the shore line. Then it drops!

Knute
07-16-2012, 06:49 AM
Holy cr@p, you could fish many a day and not catch a rainbow that size let alone two...well done.

Two beauties there!

The better half and I have been debating on where to retire to in a couple of years...Golden just upped the ante :)

d6dan
07-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Congrats on 2 beautiful Bows boys!. Great pics and story. I'd say you 2 know your lake..:-D

4 point
07-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Now that is a FISH story, congratulations nice job.

Jagermeister
07-16-2012, 08:30 AM
That long red slash along the side suggests that it is of the Gerrard rainbow strain. I bet it did not get aerial and just pulled like a plow horse.
Both are nice fish.

NaStY
07-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Nice rainbows you caught. I would keep that lake a secret if I were you :mrgreen:

springpin
07-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Correct Jäger, it was a Gerrard. It did fly a couple of times, and yes it bull dogged like crazy!!

You couldn't be more right Nasty. I'm not announcing that lake!

springpin
07-22-2012, 03:49 PM
So I go back to the lake today, its dead calm. I figure I'll tie on the Mickey Finn again. 10 min into my morning, rod bends, and the BFR screams! Hard fight for about 10min, then spits hook....oh well. Thats how most of the fishing was today had 4 on and lost them...So I decide to change it up a bit...Throw on a Purple egg sucking leech, kick around for a bit, then a nice hit...so I wait a second, and twitch the line..Bingo fish on! A quick scrap and 2 real good jumps, and he's in the net. Put the tape to him, and he's 45cm, nice fish! Then he gets a gentle release, and we both go away happy!

Wood butcher
07-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Some nice fish there boys!! Congrats for sure. Nothing wrong with keeping a couple for the table either :)