PDA

View Full Version : Creel Surveyors

Browningmirage
07-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Seems to me something needs to be said about creel surveyors...and how rude people can be towards these people.

I have noticed more and more that people are becoming increasingly frusturated towards the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Thats fine. With the increased censoring of government scientists, decreasing funding and the general feeling that DFO is out of touch with the important fisheries of Canada, its understandable that people are finding it hard to like the department. Understandable, but irrelevant to my point.

Its become increasingly clear that fishermen on the coast are frusturated with DFO. So they take their frusturations out on the only people they are constantly in contact with. The creel surveyors. I am shocked and frusturated at how rude and abusive people are being to these seasonal employees. My wife currently works as a surveyor. Every day she comes back with stories of verbally abusive fishermen. Be it pissed over regulations, being bothered with the interview, or whatever, there is no excuse for anyone to be so rude to a surveyor.

There is no excuse for taking out your frustrations on the surveyors. They are trying to do their jobs.

If you don't like DFO, take it up with someone who is actually responsible.

lorneparker1
07-14-2012, 04:34 PM
The reason alot of these restrictions that people find absurd are here is because the DFO is left to guess what we as rec guys actually harvest. If you were smart not only would you be nice to creel folks, but you should make every possible opportunity to provide then with solid data.

just my opinion.

Lorne

ultramafic
07-14-2012, 05:09 PM
I have never had a problem with the surveyors, they have always been very polite and never pushy. They have always asked for permission to have a look at my catch. I agree there should be no reason to be unfriendly with them. If you dont want to talk to them, then politely say "no thanks." As I understand any contact with them is voluntary.

mike

Big Lew
07-14-2012, 06:34 PM
The reason alot of these restrictions that people find absurd are here is because the DFO is left to guess what we as rec guys actually harvest. If you were smart not only would you be nice to creel folks, but you should make every possible opportunity to provide then with solid data.

just my opinion.

Lorne

x2 for sure, well stated.