PDA

View Full Version : To late to put my lick in?

yota
07-14-2012, 10:23 AM
So I finally got a few days off work and and was thinking of going up to my new spot i found last year were i saw lots of elk and deer and put a lick in. Whats your opion? Is it to late to do so? When do most of you guys put in or start to replenish your lick?

-Brent

pnbrock
07-14-2012, 10:31 AM
better late than never!!!!

ianwuzhere
07-14-2012, 10:33 AM
better late than never!!!!

x2.....................

Ourea
07-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Better get on it ,ASAP.
Our experience is that by mid aug the bulls are weaned off them. Nutrionally they don't require them anymore coupled with the fact they're starting to get other things on their mind.
You r late to "establish" a lick but you should get some customers on the lot if you have a good location. Wayne has got a great program going.......and his results show it........bait and licks together = winner.
Good luck, sure you will get some great shots.

moosinaround
07-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Get it started now, and keep it up all season. Once they know it is there, they will keep using it year after year! Will be good for next year! Moosin

Ourea
07-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Get it started now, and keep it up all season. Once they know it is there, they will keep using it year after year! Will be good for next year! Moosin

Moosin knows the program.

yota
07-14-2012, 08:00 PM
thanks guys I'm gonna head out probably monday or tuesday. I'll make sure to bring the camera along as well. Cheers

Brent

kyleklassen
07-14-2012, 08:48 PM
better late than never!!!!thats what she said

cameron0518
07-14-2012, 09:04 PM
i thought she said it's not too late to put your lick in.
thats what she said

Wrayzer
07-14-2012, 10:08 PM
No worries on timing, I've put mine out as late as 3rd week of Aug and still had Whities, Mulw deer, Elk, Coyotes and bears come by in time for hunting season. Even spooked a nice whitey, that was on the cam daily, opening day of bow as we crept to the camera spot.

hunter1947
07-15-2012, 04:51 AM
Never to late I started a lick in late Sept last year and it only took a few days until the animals where coming in left and right to my lick no elk but lots of WT deer does and bucks and the odd mule deer ,I agree with Ourea when late Aug rolls around you don't get as many animals coming in to your lick ,Last year I had over Ten Thousand trail pictures on 7 trail cams that where out at my baiting station this was the month of June.

This year almost the same results in the same month June ,Sept Oct rolled around and there where very few elk cows ,bulls that showed up at my licks ,the month of Oct last year I had no elk show up at my licks I pulled my trail cam at that lick..

The same lick back in June ,July Aug I had the elk coming in 4 times in a week ,the WT deer and the mule deer did come in in Sept ,Oct but fewer compared to the summer months of June ,July ,Aug..

Ruger4
07-15-2012, 07:21 AM
So I finally got a few days off work and and was thinking of going up to my new spot i found last year were i saw lots of elk and deer and put a lick in. Whats your opion? Is it to late to do so? When do most of you guys put in or start to replenish your lick?

-Brent

if the game numbers are good , get'em the old fashioned way !! , grunt, rattle................:razz:

yota
07-23-2012, 12:59 PM
So I got back from putting my lick in and while i was there managed to see a couple dozen cows and 2 nice bulls. Also lots of muliies but no bucks. Sorry no pics I brought the camera to later find out the batteries where dead:sad:. hope fully I'll have lots of pics to update this thread with in a month or so from my trail cam.

hunter1947
07-24-2012, 05:05 AM
So I got back from putting my lick in and while i was there managed to see a couple dozen cows and 2 nice bulls. Also lots of muliies but no bucks. Sorry no pics I brought the camera to later find out the batteries where dead:sad:. hope fully I'll have lots of pics to update this thread with in a month or so from my trail cam.

No worries them elk will be on your camera in a day or so ,looking forward to seeing your trail pictures..

WKCotts
07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Do you think it is lick it's self? or more the location (lower elevation i assume) of the lick...?

Never to late I started a lick in late Sept last year and it only took a few days until the animals where coming in left and right to my lick no elk but lots of WT deer does and bucks and the odd mule deer ,I agree with Ourea when late Aug rolls around you don't get as many animals coming in to your lick ,Last year I had over Ten Thousand trail pictures on 7 trail cams that where out at my baiting station this was the month of June.

This year almost the same results in the same month June ,Sept Oct rolled around and there where very few elk cows ,bulls that showed up at my licks ,the month of Oct last year I had no elk show up at my licks I pulled my trail cam at that lick..

The same lick back in June ,July Aug I had the elk coming in 4 times in a week ,the WT deer and the mule deer did come in in Sept ,Oct but fewer compared to the summer months of June ,July ,Aug..

yota
07-24-2012, 07:55 PM
So I also but a small mineral lick in my moms back yard for her to watch the deer and I just watched 3 does and a nice 3x4 buck come in and spend more then 30 min just chewing and kicking the dirt up all around it. I'm so happy it's working here cause it gives me all the confidence that it'll work up in the okanagan where I got my other 2 set.

hunter1947
07-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Do you think it is lick it's self? or more the location (lower elevation i assume) of the lick...?

Elk will be anywhere at this time of the year they can be at hi elevations or the low elevations all comes down to where there is feed water and cool cove for them to bed ,the salt is just an additive that we put out for them to enjoy

WKCotts
07-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Elk will be anywhere at this time of the year they can be at hi elevations or the low elevations all comes down to where there is feed water and cool cove for them to bed ,the salt is just an additive that we put out for them to enjoy

Yea I meant in hunting season.. guys were saying the elk are disappearing from the licks in sept/oct

hunter1947
07-26-2012, 05:36 AM
Yea I meant in hunting season.. guys were saying the elk are disappearing from the licks in sept/oct

X2 I agree in the month of Oct there are very few elk that come to my 7 salt licks where my 7 trail cams are..

yota
07-27-2012, 02:30 PM
X2 I agree in the month of Oct there are very few elk that come to my 7 salt licks where my 7 trail cams are..

Do you think its cause the elk have moved out of that area? or they just arent interested in the licks at that time of year? where my licks are at i have seen them from july right through to december but i didnt have any licks in at that time this is my first year putting them out.

hunter1947
07-28-2012, 03:45 AM
Do you think its cause the elk have moved out of that area? or they just arent interested in the licks at that time of year? where my licks are at i have seen them from july right through to december but i didnt have any licks in at that time this is my first year putting them out.

The elk deer are still in the area I see them but they do not visit the salt lick very often during October and on..