PDA

View Full Version : Shed hunting dogs

Quesnel Kid
07-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Hey all

I just got a new pooch. She is an 18 month old ladradoodle. I work in the bush as a forest tech and got her as a campanion/ bear and couger warning system. So far she is doing great but I want her to range a little more and sniff out sheds. Anyone have any tips on how to get your dog interested in finding sheds and flushing birds?

I have givin her antlers to chew and try to play fetch with them but so far she doesnt seem to interested. I got her from the city and I don't think she has any idea how much fun being a dog can be. She is seems more concerned about following me around then chasing new smells and exploring.

What have been your experience with adopted dogs can they make good hunters? can you make your dog have more retriver / hunting drive?

Shooter
07-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Is she food motivated? If so give her treats when she brings them back while playing fetch. Along with a TON of praise. Don't just leave them laying around all the time only leave them out when you want her to bring them back. When she gets good at fetching them for treats just leave one randomly in the yard when she isn't looking and see if she brings it back..

Start there and then move on to hiding them.... and so forth. When you are hiding them for her make sure that you associate a command with her to look for it. That way in the bush you can let her know that you want her to look for sheds.

And PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE.

Also play other games with her that encourage her to use her nose first and foremost. Hide her dinner. Hide her treats etc. Let her pick what hand the treats are in... anything to encourage the nose.

Buck
07-14-2012, 04:25 PM
This should help http://www.gundogsupply.com/tom-dokken-s-shed-dog-training-dvd.html