PDA

View Full Version : Emergency two way radio channel ?

snowhunter
07-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Nowadays, while hunting, many of us carry a two way radio, some under ideal conditions have with a range up to 50 kilometers.

The emergency channel for the VHF two way radio at the ocean is channel 16 , and the 2182 kHz frequency for long range, both monitored by the various nations Coast Guards, as well as all all commercial ship at sea, who are obligated to leave these two emergency channels open and monitor at all times.

Channel 9 at these inexpensive two way radios are often considered to be the "emergency channel" ? Is this channel 9 still the "official" emergency channel for search and rescue ? And who monitors this emergency channel ?

Gun Dog
07-14-2012, 08:41 AM
If you're talking about FRS/GMRS radios then there is no emergency channel and nobody monitors the frequencies. The typical range is 2 - 5 km in the mountains. Some ski resorts will monitor a channel but there's no common channel.

Grizzlydick
07-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Coast Guard does not monitor ch 9

scottwh
07-14-2012, 09:22 AM
I believe the Coast Guard monitors the Alias "Marine 16" channnel. RXF 156.800 is the frequency. I happens to be programmed to channel "0" in my handhelds. Not sure what the range on that would be, or even if its monitored inland. Firedispatch channel is a good one to have in your radio too.

Little Red Man
07-14-2012, 02:22 PM
I am with SAR here in BC, and I am unaware of any VHF channels that would be "monitored" by PEP (Provincial Emergency Program, the “controllers” of SAR) or any other SAR groups.

PEP and SAR both have dedicated VHF channels for EOC (Emergency Operations Center), Liaison, Training and Operations, but none of those would be available for general use by the public to contact SAR.

FYI, SAR groups in BC can only be engaged directly by the RCMP, BC Ambulance Service or the Coroners office, and even then, they must communicate via PEP; there is no way to "task" SAR groups in any other fashion.

In the Shuswap area, there is the first ever Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary that services inland waters (i.e. non-coastal). The name has recently changed to the Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue, and is a federal non-profit volunteer agency, similar to SAR in BC, except SAR in BC is provincial. As I understand it, they do monitor marine channel 16, but the only waters they service (that I am aware of) are the Shuswaps. I also am unaware if they monitor 7x24; you would have to contact them directly to determine that.

It should be noted, that while RCMSAR and SAR do liaise, they have different mandates with respect to the areas they service. That is, RCMSAR, as understand it, is strictly for marine operations, whereas SAR does both Inland Waters and Ground Search and Rescue.

Legi0n
07-15-2012, 08:53 AM
there's a greater chance to find someone listening on the amateur radio frequencies.
but for that you need to be licensed (no big deal, really)

Drillbit
07-15-2012, 09:21 AM
"Ladd "1 is 154.100 (I'm pretty sure on the freq) it's monitered by almost every highway trucker in BC. They'll make a phone call for you when they hit service. Saved me a few times.

Little Red Man
07-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Found this on another site....there was some discussion about these frequencies being "CB" which as I understand it, is different from "normal" VHF.........

154-10000 LADD 1 - ----do not use in USA or west of Hope, B.C
158-94000 LADD 2 ------do not use in USA
154-32500 LADD 3 - -----do not use in USA - Golden Hills
173-37000 LADD 4 - Mile 71 - Mile 178 Road

BradB
07-15-2012, 12:38 PM
I know we were able to contact MOF in some fairly remote locations when we spotted a forest fire, but since I didn't program the radios I couldn't say what the exact frequency was. I know they seem to have a pretty big range and the frequency was being monitored actively.

Ry151
07-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Found this on another site....there was some discussion about these frequencies being "CB" which as I understand it, is different from "normal" VHF.........

154-10000 (tel:154-10000) LADD 1 - ----do not use in USA or west of Hope, B.C
158-94000 (tel:158-94000) LADD 2 ------do not use in USA
154-32500 (tel:154-32500) LADD 3 - -----do not use in USA - Golden Hills
173-37000 (tel:173-37000) LADD 4 - Mile 71 - Mile 178 Road
Ladd 1 is your best bet in remote areas if you don't know the freq to the road/ area you in.

Gun Dog
07-15-2012, 05:22 PM
I know we were able to contact MOF in some fairly remote locations when we spotted a forest fire, but since I didn't program the radios I couldn't say what the exact frequency was. I know they seem to have a pretty big range and the frequency was being monitored actively.Industry Canada leases radio frequencies to companies for private use plus there's a repeater network to extend the range plus there's a radio-telephone network so you can call ayone in the world. The radios can only be programmed by an authorized dealer and not available to the general public. There's also a BC Radio Communications Project (http://www.bcforestsafe.org/forestry_trucksafe/tools_truckers/radio.html) to standardize and share frequencies across the province. Again, this is for companies. I don't think anything is available to recreational users like there is for coastal marine users.

snowhunter
07-16-2012, 12:22 AM
The consensus and opinions I get from all these previous and fine inputs in the research of a particular, monitored emergency channel for the common and inexpensive, unlicensed two way radio's is that it does not yet exists?

Since more and more hunter own these common two way radios, and use them while hunting, it would and could be a mayor step towards hunter safety, if all the users of these fine pages, could agree on a common channel for two way radios, for the exclusive use in emergency situations ?

Since the channel 9 was at some point used on CB's as an emergency channel, I am suggesting that we use that same number 9 channel for the two way radio's ? I know lot of folks would like to help out and voluntarily monitor any emergency channel at home or in the field, on a 24/7 basis, and thus create a large pool of monitors of a chosen emergency channel for the two way radio's ?

Eventually, these cheap two way radio's could be build and sold with an automatic "Channel 9" monitoring device ?

If we, the many users of these fine pages, start a trend of using "Channel 9" for emergency use only in our two way radios, it might end up becoming a known and accepted "Official Emergency Channel" for two way radios ?

Wackman
07-16-2012, 08:06 AM
I think that would be an excellent idea Snowhunter!
The consensus and opinions I get from all these previous and fine inputs in the research of a particular, monitored emergency channel for the common and inexpensive, unlicensed two way radio's is that it does not yet exists?

Since more and more hunter own these common two way radios, and use them while hunting, it would and could be a mayor step towards hunter safety, if all the users of these fine pages, could agree on a common channel for two way radios, for the exclusive use in emergency situations ?

Since the channel 9 was at some point used on CB's as an emergency channel, I am suggesting that we use that same number 9 channel for the two way radio's ? I know lot of folks would like to help out and voluntarily monitor any emergency channel at home or in the field, on a 24/7 basis, and thus create a large pool of monitors of a chosen emergency channel for the two way radio's ?

Eventually, these cheap two way radio's could be build and sold with an automatic "Channel 9" monitoring device ?

If we, the many users of these fine pages, start a trend of using "Channel 9" for emergency use only in our two way radios, it might end up becoming a known and accepted "Official Emergency Channel" for two way radios ?

Gun Dog
07-16-2012, 08:38 AM
There's better solutions already available. SPOT (http://www.findmespot.ca/en/) is a personal locator beacon so you can call for help. A lot of people also carry satellite phones for their remote wilderness adventures.

These GMRS radios have a short range in the mountains so even between members of the same group it can be a problem. I tend to use them in two places: on a ski hill where I have cell phone service anyway, and hunting where I'm far away from houses and potential listening stations.

If you're going into a remote area it's important that the people at home know what radio channels you're using so SAR can monitor them if they're on the scene.

edit: Personal Locator beacons are now a standard (http://www.nss.gc.ca/site/emergency_beacons/plb_e.asp).

snowhunter
07-16-2012, 08:58 PM
My point is just using these inexpensive and plentiful two way walkie talkies, and then we all agree to use channel 9 for emergencies ?

There are out at the marketplace a number of much more expensive alternatives to the walkie talkies most of are using whilst hunting, and after years of using these inexpensive two way radio's, I find that the newer models have more than sufficient range under most hunting conditions, and the battery life of these two way radio's, because of their automatic "battery saving mode" are just as amazing as well.

I believe that these inexpensive and efficient two way radio's are here to stay, no license or other cost like "airtime etc" required, which will assure that most of us will carry one of those little electronic wonders while hunting, and if we voluntarily "added" an emergency channel 9 to these two way radio's, we would have a large pool of hunters and others, who could and would monitor such an emergency channel ?

While hunting, it would be very comfortable to know, that in case of an emergency that I could help, or receive help from others hunter, by just using my inexpensive two way radio ?

Gun Dog
07-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Generally, when we're hunting the radios are OFF until there's gunfire or a prearranged time. You don't want radio chatter spooking prey.

94_sahara
07-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Why don't you just go get your amateur radio licence and enjoy the benefits of long range communication as while as location tracking by someone at home via APRS (built in on certain radios like the Kenwood TH-D72A)? There are vast repeater networks covering most parts of British Columbia and with a decent VHF/UHF (and HF for some of the more expensive ones) you will almost always be able to find someone listening. It is not a yearly fee, you get the licence and have it for life.

snowhunter
07-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Always been concerned about spooking game while taking on the two way radio. However, after years of using these little and handy electronic gizmos in the field, I have no evidence of ever spooking any game while talking or receiving info over these two way radios ?

No thank you, I am no longer interested in a HAM operator license, I got this fr..... internet, which I for once would like to use for something useful, by creating an "emergency channel 9" for two way radio's ?

I am thinking that if a hunter was lost or hurt, help would be close at hand, if we all agreed to use channel 9 for such emergencies ?