PDA

View Full Version : Small items that one might tend to forget in the sheep pack

vip_ruger
07-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Just going though the sheep back and. Gone though it twice and 3 times. It a person alway seems to forget a small thing or two .items others wished they had and or forget when sheep hunting? Because its getting close to opener whoop whoop

rocksteady
07-13-2012, 01:01 PM
More than 1 disposable lighter... Easy to lose one and its a long ways to replace, at least you will be able to start a fire...

Foxton Gundogs
07-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Zantac and Imodium living off the land and freeze dried can be taxing to the stomach

Browner
07-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Your probable going to want to trade that Sako off and put a Remington in your pack ! lol

warnniklz
07-13-2012, 01:48 PM
I always make sure I have some lens cleaning soloution and a couple of cloths

buckhunter
07-13-2012, 02:12 PM
allan keys (just in case), and t.p. (don't want to come home sleeveless or with chilly feet).

steel_ram
07-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Finger nail clippers. Vasaline.

huntcoop
07-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Lipbalm and TP.

silver fox
07-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Sewing needle and dental floss comes in handy for repairs...

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-13-2012, 05:52 PM
extra boot lace and jolly ranchers and 7oz of wiser's...............

ianwuzhere
07-13-2012, 05:54 PM
electrical tape
pain killerz

Call of the Wild
07-13-2012, 07:10 PM
A mickey of spiced rum and powder ice tea!!!

killman
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM

OK............:shock:

srupp
07-13-2012, 08:09 PM
2x 81 mg asa
"quick clot"
SPOT

steven

ianwuzhere
07-13-2012, 09:11 PM
bug net..........

The Dude
07-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Spare SD card(s), spare batts OR Solar Batt Charger with USB out for charging. weighs 5 oz, but you don't need spare batts or phone batts etc.
Depending on where I go, I take my cell phone, as it never ceases to amaze me some of the places you can get cell service once you get up top.

TP, spare laces, spare buckle or two for gear. They break.
Gold Bond Dancing Elves Powder........ask Dawg.....

07-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Small length of stainless steel wire to cook the ribs or back straps above the fire with once old Curly hits the deck ........

Toilet paper soaked in paraffin wax for fire starter ........

CT

ianwuzhere
07-13-2012, 10:03 PM
rope/parachute cord.

BromBones
07-13-2012, 10:17 PM
A book, for the shit weather stuck-in-tent days.

Also, (going along with this thread) a pencil and piece of paper. Often during a hunt you think of an item that you *should* have packed - write it down right away while it's in your mind and you can add it to next years list, 'cause if you're like me you'll have forgotten about it by the end of the trip. Works good for me.

The Hermit
07-13-2012, 10:52 PM

A hahahaha! Funniest Post of 2012 to date! Note to self, never accept invite to Steel_Rams camp for dinner! LOL

Alpine85
07-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Always have a few zip ties in my pack, amazing the uses. Cards are always in the pack,helps pass "tent days". If its later season hunting I have a piece of Ridgerest cut for a glassing seat.

anglo-saxon
07-14-2012, 12:21 AM
2x 81 mg asa
"quick clot"
SPOT

steven

If you're going to use "QuickClot", ensure you use the newer generation version that DOES NOT produce an exothermic effect when coming in contact with moisture (blood). The severe chemical burning of the older QuickClot will stop the bleeding, but then the surgeon will have to deal with the issue of a significant burn on top of the wound itself. A much better method of sever trauma treatment (major puncture wound/cut/gunshot wound, etc.) is to pack the wound (and I do mean PACK it TIGHT) with "combat gause". Combat gause is a sterile gause that is impregnated with kaolin powder which is extremely absorbant. Once you have stuffed the wound with as much combat gause as you can get in there, place a direct-pressure on it, followed by a direct-pressure bandage over it. The best direct-pressure bandage is the Israeli bandage. Carry a couple and learn how to use them. Finally (and as a last resort only) consider a tourniquet. Firstly, don't use one of these if you have not had the training to do so. You can kill a casualty by using one incorrectly, including by loosening periodically as was taught years ago. However, if used properly they can save life (which is the aim of the game) and I know some good guys who are alive today because of them!! BUT GET TRAINING before using.

All of the above supplies can be found here: http://www.vancouvertacticalsupplies.com/medical/. I would prioritise on getting the combat gause and Israeli bandage and learning how to use them. Buy a cheep chunk of beef (at least a three-pounder) that is past its due date (so it's on sale). Poke a deep hole in it with a carving knife and then start packing with the gause (use ordinary gause for training as combat gause is expensive). You'll be surprised at how much you can get in there. Pack it in tight without increasing the wound. It will hurt the casualty like an SOB if they are conscious, but will save their life. Once you've got the gause in, get the Israeli bandage on (see video). Practice on a friend with the bandage. You won't get this type of training from a St. John-type FA course, but is good knoweldge to have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2_EU1T-o-g

Once you're done training, give the meat to your pooch!!

anglo-saxon
07-14-2012, 01:59 AM
A small roll of fleurescent survey tape to mark locations to find them easier later. A couple of 12-hour chemical light sticks for marking locations at night/assist in rescue.

"Tobacco tin" (http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/HingedTin.Comp.w.jpg) survival kit (kept on body (jacket pocket), not in pack), containing:

Waterproof note paper (just a couple of sheets) and survival pencils (not pens): http://www.modernoutpost.com/shop/waterproof/294-3x5-weatherproof-spiral-notebook-135.html.
Lifeboat matches (6 or so, wrapped in a little Saran wrap.
Surgical (scalpal) blades X 2 (the Swann-Morten No. 4 blade is a good shape/size).
6-feet of 20 gauge brass wire (small snares, binding, utility use).
Snares X 2.
Small (good quality) button compass, such as the Francis Barker NATO survival compass (http://www.vancouvertacticalsupplies.com/survival/compass_survival.php).
Mini survival pencil.
Wire saw (remove rings and include in kit).
Needles X 2.
Waxed cotton thread or strong floss (10 feet).
Assorted fishing hooks (6), fishing line (25-feet X 20 pound line). Split shot.
Microlight (keychain attachment removed to save space).
Vial of potassium permanganate (fire starting, wound cauterizing, disinfecting agent, emergency water sterilization, ground to air signal in snow).
Vial of glyserine (skin ointment (burns, bites, etc.), moisturiser, and spontaneous fire starter when mixed with potassium permanganate). Ensure the vial is plugged with hot wax before the lid is put on to stop leaking).
Small tallow candle, shaved to an oblong (for fit) (emergency light, prologed flame (so matches aren't wasted), or emergency food (energy) source (MUST be a tallow candle to be edible).
Steri Strips X 6-8 (for holding wounds together).
Assorted small band aids X 5 or 6.
4 micro "ziplock"-type bags containing:
- Tyleonol Extra Strength X 4
- Imodium X 4
- Anti-hystemine (NOT non-drowsy) X 4
- Caffeine pills X 4.
18" of electrical tape (around pencil).
Safety (small) pins X 3
Beef or chicken bullion packet (hot, tasty drink - morale booster!! Worth its weight in gold as it adds to the "will to survive").
Condoms X 2 (sterile water collection, sucking chest wound covering, etc.).
Fire starters (paraffin wax soaked cotton balls, wrapped in tin foil).
Char cloth (1-inch squares x 6).
Small flint and striker.

vip_ruger
07-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Please don't hijack this thread start a new one ! I think a quick clot is a good idea and would get u out of a scary time . A kerstel knife is super lite and sharp, havalon , multi tool

A small roll of fleurescent survey tape to mark locations to find them easier later. A couple of 12-hour chemical light sticks for marking locations at night/assist in rescue.

"Tobacco tin" (http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/HingedTin.Comp.w.jpg) survival kit (kept on body (jacket pocket), not in pack), containing:

Waterproof note paper (just a couple of sheets) and survival pencils (not pens): http://www.modernoutpost.com/shop/waterproof/294-3x5-weatherproof-spiral-notebook-135.html.
Lifeboat matches (6 or so, wrapped in a little Saran wrap.
Surgical (scalpal) blades X 2 (the Swann-Morten No. 4 blade is a good shape/size).
6-feet of 20 gauge brass wire (small snares, binding, utility use).
Snares X 2.
Small (good quality) button compass, such as the Francis Barker NATO survival compass (http://www.vancouvertacticalsupplies.com/survival/compass_survival.php).
Mini survival pencil.
Wire saw (remove rings and include in kit).
Needles X 2.
Waxed cotton thread or strong floss (10 feet).
Assorted fishing hooks (6), fishing line (25-feet X 20 pound line). Split shot.
Microlight (keychain attachment removed to save space).
Vial of potassium permanganate (fire starting, wound cauterizing, disinfecting agent, emergency water sterilization, ground to air signal in snow).
Vial of glyserine (skin ointment (burns, bites, etc.), moisturiser, and spontaneous fire starter when mixed with potassium permanganate). Ensure the vial is plugged with hot wax before the lid is put on to stop leaking).
Small tallow candle, shaved to an oblong (for fit) (emergency light, prologed flame (so matches aren't wasted), or emergency food (energy) source (MUST be a tallow candle to be edible).
Steri Strips X 6-8 (for holding wounds together).
Assorted small band aids X 5 or 6.
4 micro "ziplock"-type bags containing:
- Tyleonol Extra Strength X 4
- Imodium X 4
- Anti-hystemine (NOT non-drowsy) X 4
- Caffeine pills X 4.
18" of electrical tape (around pencil).
Safety (small) pins X 3
Beef or chicken bullion packet (hot, tasty drink - morale booster!! Worth its weight in gold as it adds to the "will to survive").
Condoms X 2 (sterile water collection, sucking chest wound covering, etc.).
Fire starters (paraffin wax soaked cotton balls, wrapped in tin foil).
Char cloth (1-inch squares x 6).
Small flint and striker.

Brez
07-14-2012, 07:08 AM
sunscreen. space blanket - works great to keep meat cold by spreading over it to keep the sun off of it, especially if buried in snow first.

nature girl
07-14-2012, 04:42 PM
orange garbage bag.

bosca
07-14-2012, 06:24 PM
3ft of duct tape for minor repairs and is excellent for preventing blisters when you feel one starting to form...I store it by wrapping it around the top of my treking pole.
Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline...Will burn for 5 min in almost any conditions.
Starbucks instant coffee packets...I like espresso flavor...best tasting instant I ever had.
6 ft stainless bailing wire...for shelter and other 'cunstruction'...I wrap that around my other treking pole.
Ibuprofen...That first day on the trail can be a b!@#$.
Small deck of cards.
Compact...inflatable seat cushion for extended periods glassing.

Ron.C
07-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Starbucks instant coffee packets...I like espresso flavor...best tasting instant I ever had.

x2, tried it on my Griz hunt this spring. Too easy to make and very tasty

anglo-saxon
07-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Please don't hijack this thread start a new one ! I think a quick clot is a good idea and would get u out of a scary time . A kerstel knife is super lite and sharp, havalon , multi tool

Nobody's hijacked anything. You asked for small useful items. I suggested some. You telling me a survival kit is not useful? If you don't like it, don't read it.

Used Quick Clot much have you?

Hmmm!

pro 111
07-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Small packs of salt and pepper . They are a must when you bag your ram and cook the ribs.
This is one of the best threads yet. I really like the stainless steel wire for the ribs . Great Idea.

brew16
07-14-2012, 09:54 PM
You me a browning browner!

scottwh
07-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Benedrill is a good thing to bring.

ianwuzhere
07-15-2012, 09:50 AM
who packs some cheap dollar store type water shoes or maybe crocs for river crossings etc?? What do you find the best?

Brez
07-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Small packs of salt and pepper . They are a must when you bag your ram and cook the ribs.
This is one of the best threads yet. I really like the stainless steel wire for the ribs . Great Idea.

X2! Aluminum arrows melt!
Also, vitamin C - really helps with lactic acid from hiking.

Alpine85
07-16-2012, 05:58 AM
who packs some cheap dollar store type water shoes or maybe crocs for river crossings etc?? What do you find the best?

I started packing knock-off brand Crocs. Can't see doing a early hunt without them,crossing water and just to wear around camp letting feet breath.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-16-2012, 09:15 AM
I started packing knock-off brand Crocs. Can't see doing a early hunt without them,crossing water and just to wear around camp letting feet breath.

Me to. One of the best, lightweight additions to my pack.

Man, my pack would be effin heavy if I followed advice in this thread.

Used to pack cottonballs soaked in vaseline. Stove works much better to light a fire...and to light a the stove you only need something that sparks.

Bugnet, as mentioned above, is easy to forget.

SSS