PDA

View Full Version : backpack sheep cloths only

leadpillproductions
07-12-2012, 06:13 AM
I'm not 100% on clothing for my fly in pack dall sheep hunt what do u guys think or would add
1 pair northface convertable pants
2 pair underarmour ginch wash every couple days lol
2 pair cabelas coolmax socks
2 pair liner socks
1 pair goretex socks
1 pair gators
Cabelas pac lite rain gear
2 under armour long sleeve heat gear shirts
1 fleece vest
Belt
Hat
Bug net
2 sets gloves
Pair of bottoms long johns
Asolo hiking boots

BromBones
07-12-2012, 06:43 AM
You should live.

I'd throw in a toque for sure, mid-weight fleece or light wool is what I like. And also the good old wool Stanfield shirt (bulky but worth it when the weather goes to shit)

Stone Sheep Steve
07-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Jacket??...other than your rain gear?

bigwhiteys
07-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Yeah you look a little lite in the upper body clothing... 1 heat gear shirt, 1 fleece vest + 1 pack lite rain gear = 1 cold dude on the top of a ridge! I would ditch the vest and go for a long sleeve mid-to-heavy weight shirt.

1 under layer (under armour)
1 mid layer (merino or mid-weight synthetic) - long sleeve
1 heavy layer (merino or heavy weight synthetic/fleece) - long sleeve
1 outer layer (rain gear)

That's what I do... Toque or hat of some type is a good idea too. I take a brimmed "outback" hat or whatever they are called because it shades my face from sun and is easier to glass with when the sun is up.

leadpillproductions
07-12-2012, 07:40 AM
I was thinkin just rain jacket and vest combo

bigwhiteys
07-12-2012, 07:44 AM

Even in August you will be cold. Sitting on a ridge for hours glassing doesn't help you build up body heat.

leadpillproductions
07-12-2012, 07:49 AM

Fosey
07-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Where do you get your mid layer long sleeve and what brand. Also I need ideas for heavy layer. Good thread for everyone getting ready

bigwhiteys
07-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Mid Layers? Anything comfortable... That is long sleeve and will keep you warmer than a t-shirt.

- icebreaker merino 260 weight
- first lite merino "Chama"
- thin north face fleece
- sitka traverse
- stanfields

For heavy layers

- icebreaker 320 GT
- first lite "labrador"
- sitka jetsream
- heavy north face fleece

I mentioned these brands only because I personally use them. Spend the big money on your outer layers.

BCrams
07-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Your sheep hunt could be a very very short one.

Ditch the vest (or keep it and still add the following) - add a mid weight long sleeve, add a light jacket to wear under your rain gear. I pack the North Face Optimus jacket on top of mid weight syn shirt and even my favorite stanfields grey sweater (I know its bulky but I love it)

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-jackets-vests/mens-redpoint-optimus-jacket_3.html?from=subCat&variationId=682

You'd be surprised just how cold mornings and late evenings are in August it can get even if day time temps get hot. Expect mixed weather systems and even snow, persistent winds and more wind ..... did I say wind? etc ...

Alpine85
07-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Down is extremly light. I have a packable down jacket in my pack always! If shit goes sideways with weather in August I put on; rain jacket(westcomb),260 icebreaker,180 Icebreaker,Downjacket. If its October I also have a stansfield wool to put on.

bruin
07-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Down jacket. Like wearing a sleeping bag when you're among the peaks.

bigwhiteys
07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Yep.. Can't argue with down... I've got a few down jackets from Mountain Hardwear.

Mountain Hardwear Nitrous with or without hood is very light and almost too warm for me.

My clothing list for this year...

- red ram merino wool underlayer (bottoms only)
- mec synthetic very thin boxers 2pr
- sitka timberline pants 1 pr
- very lightweight synthetic MEC tee. (base) 1
- first lite "chama" top (mid) 1
- sitka traverse top (mid-heavy) 1
- sitka coldfront jacket or eVent thru-hiker for rain shell.
- sitka stormfront pants (still undecided if I'll even take)
- merino wool liner sock 1 pr
- thorlo "trekking" socks 3-4 pr
- brimmed gore-tex rain hat 1
- sitka mountain gloves 1 pr
- gators 1 pr - I need to buy a new set - my old are toast
- small pack towel to hang from shoulder straps on pack (used for wiping away sweat - sweat + glass = crappy)
- hanwag trapper top elites for boots

That should do'er for me.

whitetailsheds
07-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Just a heads up Leadpill....did 26 days in that country last year, and I have never experienced rain, fog, and miserable shyte, and spend as much time in a tent as I ever have over 25 years of chasing sheep.
It was an eye opener.
Glad I had good gear.
The weather tested every bit of my hunting abilities and keeping sane, as it did my gear.
Lots of great advice here.

bruin
07-12-2012, 11:25 AM
My list for 10 day early season hunts.

1 Merino wool base long sleeve
1 pair long john bottoms
1 pair merino gaunch and 1 to pack
1 pair of MEC pants to wear and 1 in my pack
1 light wicking t to wear and 1 for my pack
1 light fleece longsleeve pullover with a turtleneck
1 down jacket
1 set of Kuiu raingear
4 pairs of assorted hiking socks
2 sock liners
1 set gaiters
1 set packable allweather mits (first try with these)
kuiu ball cap
toque
Zamberlan boots (first try)

sheephunterab
07-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Absolutely on the down jacket. I'd throw in a wind fleece as well. I've been trying out some new base layer clothing this year made by X-Bionic and the stuff is amazing. It's pricey but it puts Under Armor to shame. While their slogan "Turns sweat into energy" is a bit cheesy, it really does. It keeps you warm in all the right spots and cool in those that require it.

ThinAir
07-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Another vote for a down jacket. Sometimes a guy focuses on " gotta be light" and forgets that when your in the middle of nowhere....you better be prepared!

I often pack a little too much, but I've never regretted it. I went mid Aug once and it got down to -7 at night. The guys that saved a couple pounds, and just brought the bare minimum were whining like babies and wanted to go home:). It's amazing what 1 jacket can do!

warnniklz
07-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I take a brimmed "outback" hat or whatever they are called because it shades my face from sun and is easier to glass with when the sun is up.

boonie hat

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00QCHaElYgTDqB/Boonie-Hat-HC-HT90-.jpg

I'm no expert in mountain gear... still learning this business. From what I've learned... I've added a lot of gear to my pack, and I've noticed so far taht a better balanced pack that is a bit heavier is better than a light weight pack that is poorly packed

Ambush
07-16-2012, 10:33 PM
A down or quality prima-loft jacket is light, easy to keep in your day pack and very importantly, can add several degrees to your sleeping bag, if need be.

Cheaping out on rain gear and clothing can not only ruin, or end your hunt, it can be outright dangerous.