PDA

View Full Version : August Moose

bearhunter338-06
07-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Was talking with my old hunting partner tonight, and since nether one of use got our LEH moose, we have decided to go for the August moose season up north. Now since I no longer have my contacts around the Dawson Creek area, I am in need of some advice as to where to camp, or if someone would be willing to let us stay in there yard.

Little Red Man
07-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Did that hunt last year with a buddy; both of us grew up there, and"Dodge" is our old stomping grounds. Never did see a moose, but it was HOT, HOT, HOT. Did see a bit of sign, as well as literally 20 bears (all dinks). Guessing moose were travelling mostly after sun-down when it cooled off (but only a bit). There is a ton of crown land up there, and quite a few roads with landings and cut-ins on them. We just drove around a located something suitable and setup camp. Ended up being mostly a beer and bullshit trip.......

nap
07-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Stewart lake, just west of groundbirch half way between chetynd and dawson might be a place for ya, good luck where ever you end up.

250 sav
07-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Went up last year end of aug. My 12 year old got his first moose. Saw moose and or elk everyday. we were on crown land. dawn and dusk don't sleep in or you miss the criters.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Stewart lake, just west of groundbirch half way between chetynd and dawson might be a place for ya, good luck where ever you end up.

really busy with oil end gas activity ; shell is going full tilt in there

nwalter
07-12-2012, 02:08 PM
I am up in this area working for Shell :S
Best bet is to carry on North a bit more passed Wonowon until Mile 120. There is drilling going on in the area but there is a lot of places that have potential. I have seen a few cow/calfs but no Bulls

bear buster
07-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Camp at Boot(Foot) Lake, on the Noel FSR, lots of roads to cover, and good fishing in the lake for rainbows and brookies. You can take the Hourglass RD just past Boot lake and cut across to the Tumbler Ridge hwy, lots of new roads and cut blocks. PM if you would like more info.

bearhunter338-06
07-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Thank you all for the information.

kr87amer
07-15-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm a new hunter and am planning for August moose as well. You recommended Boot Lake. How would that compare to the Pink Mountain area (7-45)? Any info is gratefully received. Can I also PM you for more info on the Boot Lake area?

Thanks.