PDA

View Full Version : Pack for 10 day sheephunt!

big game chaser
07-10-2012, 08:53 PM
I own a badlands 4500 and am going on a flyin sheep hunt my partner seems to think it may not be big enough! wondering the views on this from some of the other experienced backpack hunters if this pack is big enough for 10 days?

ryanb
07-10-2012, 09:14 PM
I'd say yes, barely...if you pack light and compact. But with a dead sheep your are going to have to start lashing stuff to the outside of the pack, which isn't the end of the world. I've done it. Used an 80l pack on many backpack hunts (4800ci). Now I have a Kifaru 7200 ci. Should allow me to pack all my gear and dead animal internally.

KodiakHntr
07-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Not as experienced as some, but without some serious paring down of gear and repacking of food (ie taking the Mtn Houses out of their original packages) you likely won't have enough room for food alone, much less the rest of your gear unless you've got some seriously compactable stuff.....

10 days of backpacking, or 10 days drop off to pick up? 10 days worth of food takes some serious volume. Might be possible, but it likely won't be easy.

BromBones
07-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Do a search in the hunting gear forum on backpacks, you'll find plenty of opinion on packs.

I used an OX pack last year which is the same volume. Packing food and gear for 10 days in a 4500 cu.in pack is not an issue, but with the OX pack the meat shelf setup allows you to pack out the meat without using up bag space. The internal frame 4500 doesn't allow that and would be tough to get meat + camp out in one trip.

I'd say if you dont want to upgrade/replace your pack, get 3 or 4 Ultra-Sil lightweight drybags made by Sea-to-Summit, probly 10-13 liters or so. You can strap them to the top/sides of your pack for gear, to make room in the main bag for hauling out meat. They are incredibly tough, waterproof, and are a cheap way to add some volume to your pack if needed.

Or if you have $700 + kicking around, buy a Barney or Mystery Ranch. :)

KodiakHntr
07-10-2012, 09:24 PM
He did say he isn't going solo though, so with another guy there to redistribute load as required weight/volume wise it looks like it might be feasible. Tight, but possibly feasible. Solo trip would require a couple trips though would be my guess. 4500cu isn't very much space inside a pack.

big game chaser
07-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys! I live in prince george were is some places to buy mystery ranch or barney packs ?

Hammerhead
07-10-2012, 10:22 PM
If you put together all the gear you will need for your hunt in compression sacks etc and see if it all fits keeping in mind the pack out, hopefully heavy, you will find out quick enough if you will need a different pack. It also will depend on how you go about your hunt. Last season I used an eberlestock J107 with the add on spike duffel and will use it again this season. We had a base camp at our drop off and pick up point where we left the majority of our gear and just broke away from there and would set up a 3 day spike camp carrying only what we needed. So what you have may work for you depending how you approach it, or maybe you just want a new pack,lol. Good luck to you on your hunt
HH

Rubicon500
07-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys! I live in prince george were is some places to buy mystery ranch or barney packs ?

Only get them direct , or try ebay. Google MR or Barneys and itll come up cant go wrong with either !! I wouldnt use a 4500 CI pack myself , if you guys whack 2 rams what will you do you wont have much room for anything. I personally use a 7800CI pack it has more than enough room :mrgreen:

bruin
07-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Leaving it a little late but you may be able to get a pack rushed. I personally wouldn't go in with a 4500ci, you'll end up sacrificing some comforts/conveniences.

Ambush
07-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Have done several 10 day hunts with a Badlands 4500. No problem getting everthing in, and sometimes sheep and goats to, on the way out.
The top sleeve extends well above the pack and can hold a lot of light gear, clothing, etc. Leave the fanny pack lid at home or at least cut out the waiste belt and webbing and keep the buckle as a spare, in your pack.
The only complaint I have with the 4500 is sweating. Your back will be wet.

ianwuzhere
07-10-2012, 10:58 PM
I have the ox and find if dont have compact and "packable" gear the 4500 would be small.. i love the meat hauling option on the ox as well.. You will definatley not be able to have every luxury but would work..
Maybe theres someone in PG who could let you try another pack on etc??

blackbart
07-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I agree with Ambush. I have a badlands 4500, and have used it for up to seven day trips with enough room. Mind you I am sure that there are better packs out there for a ten day trip. Ten or more days sounds like a horse or two and a cute wrangler would be good to have along!

big game chaser
07-11-2012, 05:57 AM
how about kuiu anybody try this pack out?

goinghunting
07-11-2012, 06:27 AM
I took a MR crew cab with a day pack lid last year on a 10 day sheep hunt it's 5000 CI. I did okay but it was tight, I did kill a ram and was okay on the way back but I bought a 6500 bag now just because it was to time consuming to have to put everything in the exact right spot to make a 5000 CI pack work with that much gear and i rubbed holes in a few pockets because they were stuffed so full.

bruin
07-11-2012, 08:51 AM
how about kuiu anybody try this pack out?

I've got a couple of guys coming up this year that will be using the new Icon 7000. Its obviously bigger than the previous model and is suppose to have a few other improvements. I'm looking forward to seeing them in action! Report in October.