PDA

View Full Version : extended choke tubes

pnbrock
07-10-2012, 07:42 PM
doing a little research on aftermarket choke tubes are they all they say they are?who uses them and did it really improve your patterns?

Crazy_Farmer
07-10-2012, 07:49 PM
With alot of the wad restricting choke tubes, pattern master, wad wizard. You may find you're either gonna kill em or miss them. You're pretty much shooting a full choke in a sense so if you're on the bird its gonna get crushed. But if your behind your shot string is shorter then with conventional chokes or so they claim. So all your pellets are going out in a tighter group both in radius and length of shot string.

All I know is I've shot a wad wizard supreme for 4-5 yrs and to me its just a good solid choke. I honestly can't say if I would of killed more with or without it but I'm happy with it and it's results so it stays.

Foxton Gundogs
07-10-2012, 07:49 PM
My guns all patern very well with the factory chokes so never felt the need to try on. However I am considering the extra full coyote buckshot choke for my deer gun

lorneparker1
07-10-2012, 08:13 PM
^^^^ I shoot a swat out of my gun with buckshot and it is gross the damage it does to deer.

Dutch
08-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Bought a wad wizard this year as the guys I was with in South America swear by them and they shoot more ducks in 2 weeks than I shoot in 5 years.Patterned very well compared to the stock choke ,#4 and #3 were its favourite .Larger dia. bb and bbb couldn't see that much differance. Interesting what CF says about the shot string never thought about that.Oh they still shoot lead in SA too.

Eastbranch
08-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Your gun may pattern well but you can't tell the length of your shot string from the size of your pattern. There are some really good videos on the patternmaster website about how their system works. I bought their upland CODE BLACK tube for my 20ga and it just crushes anything I point it at. Vast improvement over the stock tubes. I really like the 'hit big or miss big' aspect because you get zero cripples. I've got long and short range patternmasters coming for this fall.

field marshal
08-14-2012, 07:32 PM
^^^^ I shoot a swat out of my gun with buckshot and it is gross the damage it does to deer.
Not to mention ,all the waterfowl you "Dry Gulch" on the ground?????

lorneparker1
08-14-2012, 07:34 PM
I shoot an IC at ducks hombre! I would keep a sawed off in the blind if it was legal just so i could swat my limit in one shot!

field marshal
08-14-2012, 07:42 PM
I shoot an IC at ducks hombre! I would keep a sawed off in the blind if it was legal just so i could swat my limit in one shot!

Somehow "Sportsman" and Lorne Parker 1 are not a good fit together???? Elmer Fudd would be a better analogy,tho???
Cheers---Field Marshal.

pnbrock
08-14-2012, 08:08 PM
I bought the patternmaster long range choke tube and what a difference. Factory choke left football size holes in pattern while patternmaster closed them right up. Money well spent imho

Ian F.
08-14-2012, 09:14 PM
I have a patternmaster over the decoys in my X2, not sure if they still make them, beautiful choke, only sticks out 1/2" patterns just about everything well and as you increase shot size the pattern tightens, restated 1 choke for decoying ducks and same for geese. In my O/U's I have brileys and trulocks and have been happy with both the patterns on paper and the results on birds. If you are a 30yds or less shooter, they are bordering on overkill.

lorneparker1
08-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Somehow "Sportsman" and Lorne Parker 1 are not a good fit together???? Elmer Fudd would be a better analogy,tho???
Cheers---Field Marshal.

Easy there you little hobbitt.