PDA

View Full Version : Living quarters while hunting. Opinions..

dog812
07-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Well i sold my last trailer, I am in the market for something a little better for hunting.
Me n a hunting buddy are thinking of splitting on a wall tent. I like the idea of light weight, space, and wood stove heat.
I dont like setup / tear down in miserable weather among other things.
Was also thinking of converting a 7x14 enclosed trailer. So i can use it the rest of the year.. i dont know..
.. what are your recommendations for under $4000?

scoutlt1
07-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Just out of curiousty, what is it you didn't like about having a trailer?

dog812
07-10-2012, 06:34 PM
My last trailer was just too small.. It was a enclosed trailer, i converted at the end of last season for hunting, But was only 5x8 , so it was cramped to say the least.

longwalk
07-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Hunted out of a travel trailer for a few years. It was nice, but you are limited to where you can go and you will burn a crap load of fuel getting there. I currently have a wall tent and wood stove maybe a bit more trouble to set up and take down but some of the more out of the way places are more accessible and there is a certain ambience to going to sleep with the fire popping in the stove and when the weather is colder you do not get condensation on windows etc. Both are nice, I just prefer what I have currently.

pg83
07-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Wall tents are where it's at. There is a thread here with a bunch of set ups guys here are using. Once you have your system organized it's tough to beat. Set up and take down are not that big of a deal when you have done it a few times. I can have my 14x16 up solo in 5-10 minutes. another 5 for the tarp to be pulled over and tied down and a couple minutes to set up the stove. If you have a couple guys who know what the process is it's even faster.

roping_tom
07-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Check out a tipi tent too i love mine heated with a woodstove its neck and neck with the wall tent.

Wood butcher
07-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Get a wall tent and a wood stove and keep some of your money. Check out some of the site sponsers, several of them can supply a great product.

dabber
07-10-2012, 09:51 PM
I think the only advantage of having a trailer for hunting is it is easier to pick up camp and move on. If you have a wall tent with a good stove you can't go wrong.
Every year we try and improve our set up, not sure were to go next, last year we added christmas light.

Iltasyuko
07-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Wall tents are practical, low maintenance and last for decades - the dirt they accumulate just adds charm and shows you use it. The only pain is having a place to lay it out or hang after use because they must be bone dry before storing.

Darksith
07-10-2012, 10:09 PM
If you don't like setup and take down in crappy weather then the wall tent isn't for you. I love mine, but different strokes. I also have a 18' trailer and a 19' 5th wheel...you'd be surprised where I can take them. Wall tents take up a lot of room if you have all the accessories for them (poles, floor mat, cot, stove, tarps, plus anything you want for a kitchen), a trailer has everything in it, stored in its place u just hook up and go. When the weather is dry or cold the wall tent is better, when its wet and ugly the trailer can't be beat. Both options are great, its just a matter of what an indavidual wants. Im selling my 5th wheel for 2k, hitch, rails everything you need fyi.

dog812
07-10-2012, 10:15 PM
yeah i live a couple blocks away from northwest shelters, have gone in and looked at their wall tents. It is probably the way we will go.. Thanks for the advice.

lip_ripper00
07-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I think the only advantage of having a trailer for hunting is it is easier to pick up camp and move on. If you have a wall tent with a good stove you can't go wrong.
Every year we try and improve our set up, not sure were to go next, last year we added christmas light.

Christmas lights?! have the hot tub yet, best thing ever when its freezing or raining and just shitty

dakoda62
07-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Ive got a box tent ill sell you, it is the for sale string.

kako99
07-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Wall tents are great. Once you know how to set it up it will take you and a partner around 15 min to have it set up. if your intrested in a wall tent pm me. The company my dad works for has been making them for years.

BCBRAD
07-11-2012, 07:23 AM
https://www.reliabletent.com/index.cfm?page=detail&Product_ID=145&CATID=9

We've had all manner of canvas tents over the years and this one is the Cadillac.

07-11-2012, 09:35 AM
I bought an 8 man Kifaru Tipi with large stove for this years sheep hunt ( we pack in with horses). I've set it up a couple of times and so far I think I will like it. Very roomy for two guys. I will post a review when I return from my hunt.