PDA

View Full Version : Went Pike fishing on the weekend

Skull Hunter
07-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Edited....

swamper
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
I have to ask, where were you fishing. Obviously somewhere in Northern BC.

pnbrock
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
wow those are huge!!u don't really eat those do you?

lovemywinchester
07-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Good job. Some of the best fish I have ever had was fresh caught pike on the camp fire. Its awesome and I don't think it gets its due for how good it is. A flaky white meat, so good. No need to justify keeping fish. Catch your limit and limit your catch. I find people are getting too worried about keeping fish thinking they are doing something wrong. Great pike!

hunter1993ap
07-10-2012, 02:43 PM
I have to ask, where were you fishing. Obviously somewhere in Northern BC.
obviously in a lake :wink: very nice fish!!

d6dan
07-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Nice pike pics Zubris. You normally don't see pike that big.

Canned pike tastes alot like tuna.

Skull Hunter
07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Good job. Some of the best fish I have ever had was fresh caught pike on the camp fire. Its awesome and I don't think it gets its due for how good it is. A flaky white meat, so good. No need to justify keeping fish. Catch your limit and limit your catch. I find people are getting too worried about keeping fish thinking they are doing something wrong. Great pike!

Pike is awesome, one of my favorite freshwater species... I'm not trying to justify keeping fish, I keep part of my catch just about every time I go out. I just don't like keeping the great big breeders. For one, I like keeping the good genetics in the lake and secondly the meat tends to be better on the smaller fish. For pike, I like them in the 6-10lb range.

As for the location of this lake, I'm going to keep that for myself. The fishing is just too good (as you can see) and I plan on doing a lot of moose hunting there this fall.

-Andre

RENO
07-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the pics,brings back lots of fishing memories when I lived in NOnt. nice jacks, I like them from 12 to 22 for eating that's when they are the best, fall winter is always better for these fish as they tend to get a little soft in hot summer months, pike or jack fish get even larger , muskies are the larger member of the pike family, you know when you got one of these babies hooked for sure, they are similar to the salt water lingcod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskellunge

scoutlt1
07-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Nice fish! Love catching pike when I'm up north. Great eating too...and love those in the just under 10lb range too.
Fun fish to catch. Sight fishing in the shallows with topwater baits...not much better!
Thanks for the pics!

RENO
07-10-2012, 05:50 PM
We used the Red Devil Lure allot, on these fish and they love them, williams wobblers are great to, as smelts were abundant in spring, we would save some for bait and a half smelt on a hook with sinker and bobber works very well to.
My favorite is still bass and jumbo perch and pickerel.
Nothing like big hunk of butter in a cast iron skillet an a fresh jumbo perch frying in there, hummm and a beer.

boxhitch
07-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Meat bucks, pepperoni bears, and now freezer pike. Gotta love it.
A couple of 20's add up quick, giving some options.
Nice haul.

scoutlt1
07-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Nothing like big hunk of butter in a cast iron skillet an a fresh jumbo perch frying in there, hummm and a beer.

Damn........now that is about as good as it gets!!! :-)

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
07-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Nice big Pike. Good catch!

Benthos
07-10-2012, 08:01 PM
I like the taste of pike, but much better in the winter ice fishing. This time of year they tend to et soft and muddy, unfortunately

ratherbefishin
07-11-2012, 09:36 AM
do you filet them?if so-how?

SHAKER
07-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Love to try these catch'n one of those buggers some day. Have to research some pike waters in B.C.

300H&H
07-11-2012, 12:21 PM
I can understand you wanting to keep it a secret.
But would you tell us what M.U. it is from ?

RENO
07-11-2012, 12:39 PM

Damn........now that is about as good as it gets!!! :-)
Well for jacks I like to clean them up and cut them in 3inch steaks, then put them in my special tomatoe
sauce recipe, 1/2 head of garlic , mince half and lightly flatten the rest, 2-3 fresh red chillies minced seeds and all and 2-3 cans of plum tomatoes 1teaspoon salt and 1teaspoon course black pepper and a hand full of chopped parsley let simmer for 1hour total add pike chunks after 1/2 hour mark .great with pasta or some fresh bread.

Skull Hunter
07-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the pics,brings back lots of fishing memories when I lived in NOnt. nice jacks, I like them from 12 to 22 for eating that's when they are the best, fall winter is always better for these fish as they tend to get a little soft in hot summer months, pike or jack fish get even larger , muskies are the larger member of the pike family, you know when you got one of these babies hooked for sure, they are similar to the salt water lingcod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskellunge

Lim an ont boy too. Never got into any Muskie, but sure have caught my share of nice walleye! With the cold temps this year the fish were still in perfect condition.

springpin
07-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Pike, a fish I've never caught. Would love to get them on the fly rod.

Opinionated Ol Phart
07-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Well-- I got spoiled fishing jackfish in the NWT years ago. Every cast on the south shore of GSL got at least a hit. As far as fight??? Not in cold water... a wet sock is as challenging. But I will give the pike credit for one thing......they do go nutz when they hit the floor of the boat and try to eat your ankles!!!!

As far as eating them---the local Indians only used them for dog food-- too bony and coarse flesh, esp the biggies ... The eating fish of choice up north is , of course, the walleye. Now THOSE I like!

But its all relative... in warmer water, they do have an impressive strike. and maybe I just not a good enough camp cook to appreciate them LOL

Eastbranch
07-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Jaysus, is that W--------r? I was there last week and didn't touch anything bigger than 8lb. But I was fishing flies. PM me if you want, I'd like to know what side of the lake you were on. Those are hawgs.