PDA

View Full Version : My first scouting trip!

Fella
07-10-2012, 10:41 AM
So on Sunday, a buddy took me on my first scouting trip to region 3. Was an incredibly hot day so we didn't see any animals aside from a couple grouse, but TONS of bear and deer sign. We parked our vehicle on an FSR and snooped around on the edge of a power line cut. Saw my first monster black bear track. By that time, the sun was really scorching us, so we decided to follow a deer trail up the side of one of the mountains. Again, no animals but lots of sign, and the views were worth the steep climb. We decided to hike down the other side of the mountain which turned out to be one big steep rockslide, and I was surprised to see quite a bit of deer sign even though it was so steep that we were basically letting gravity do most of the work and sliding down. For some reason I didnt think that deer would go down such a steep area, but being a newbie I obviously still have lots to learn. Anyways, it turned out to be an awesome day, and we ended by enjoying a cold Guinness beside a nearby river. I'll post up some of the pics that I took later.

coach
07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a great day, Fella. The animals are there - but in this heat your best chance of seeing them is at first and last light or in shady bedding areas. Looking forward to your pics.

brian
07-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Gotta love it. You will be amazed at what deer can do. I've followed fresh deer tracks going through thick snow laden trees without disturbing the snow on the branches. They can go through things you never would have imagined possible. But this is the good stuff, getting out there hiking, learning, and seeing new land.

Elk-Aholic
07-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Good stuff getting out there and laying some boots tracks. It's always a great day when you end it with an ice cold Guinness!