PDA

View Full Version : Cow moose

bandit
07-09-2012, 06:15 PM
So me and my buddy lucked out and got a high odds late season cow moose LEH. What are the best techniques for hunting cows in the post rut period? Are there any sorts of calls that might work? There are tons of books and posts about calling bulls but aint seen nothin about the fairer sex!

The Dawg
07-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Find the bulls. They will be around cows :)

d6dan
07-09-2012, 07:16 PM
I had a Oct 10 cow draw and had no problem finding 2 on opening day. We never saw a bull in 5 days hunting.:???:

wiggy
07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
pretty simple; drive around hike cutline or trail to giant moose patch; climb tree; spot cow moose; go shoot cow moose in head; hike clean cow moose; go get quad; drive to cow moose; load cow moose; go home; hang cow moose for 15 days; cut up cow moose; make sausage and hamberger; enjoy every bite and good luck on getting one again; mine took 15 years lol.
I had a Oct 10 cow draw and had no problem finding 2 on opening day. We never saw a bull in 5 days hunting.:???:

hunterdon
07-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Yes, there certainly is a call which can be very effective for late season cow moose. Several years ago, I was drawn for a late season cow moose. Unfortunately I've only lucked out on 2 moose draws in the past 15 years. If there is snow, than find fresh moose tracks. When you do, follow carefully while at the same time being observant of the surroundings. In the late season, moose feed heavily on browse. They also like to strip the bark of large poplars.

Anyways, once you find an area with fresh sign, use a calf moose call. It is deadly especially at this time of year. Quite often a cow may have lost it's calf recently from predation or may not even have a calf. If that's the case, as long as you give gentle calf calls while walking through the woods, you can almost walk right up to the cow.

As mentioned, I drew a cow moose draw once several years ago. On that late hunt, I bumped into a few hunters who also had a draw. They apparently were also following the same tracks as I was. They said they saw the cow but she bolted down in the lower bush and they couldn't approach her. So I walked toward the area in a steady walk, while giving gentle calf calls. I finally found her standing still in a small opening in the forest, as if she wanted to be noticed. I could have easily shot her from my position, but curiosity got the better of me. Whenever I get the chance, I like to experiment. I have often called moose at all times of the year with relatively good success. So, as I continued to walk straight towards her I kept gently calling. She could easily see me, yet to my surprise she never moved a muscle. I walked to her and stopped at 10 yards and took the broadside lung shot.

Again to my great surprise, she never moved a muscle. I kept gently calf calling. Could something be wrong with my gun I thought? I was using my old British 303 which I have not used in more than 20 years. My son had accompanied me on this hunt and was using my regular rifle. So thinking at 10 yards how could I have missed? She displayed no evidence of being hit. So, I fired a second shot and again she did not move a muscle. There is no doubt, she heard the shots and could see me standing 10 yards away, but she was convinced a calf was nearby and she was not leaving until that calf joined her. Finally I saw evidence of the shot as she now began to breathe more heavily and blood was beginning to blow out from the lung area of her chest. I waited another moment or so and she swayed back and forth a couple of times and keeled over dead.

The whole thing here is that cow moose have strong motherly instincts. Even a cow without a calf will be concerned about a lost calf. And so a calf call can be very effective at holding a cow for you to get in position. Perhaps you don't know what a calf moose sounds like. If you can give a nice mellow cow call, not a cow in heat call, just an easy call, then the calf call is similar except that it is a bit higher in tone and a bit shorter. Remember it's the late season and the calves are not the little guys from the spring time. They will sound similar to the a full grown cow, just higher in tone and shorter in duration. Smaller lung capacity. You don't have to be a pro. You only have to get the animal's attention long enough.

Good hunting!

cameron0518
07-10-2012, 03:02 PM
if they are there, you will see them. look in swampy areas, cut blocks. Don't need to overthink it. Get out and hike or quad it and u shouldn't have an issue as long as there is moose around. If you aren't hunting bulls in the rut, not sure if i would sit and call. cover ground IMO.

swampdonkey
07-10-2012, 03:24 PM
what region