PDA

View Full Version : Who's hiking in for stones or bighorns this year ?

BlacktailStalker
07-08-2012, 06:40 PM
As titled !
Who's huffin' it in from the truck this year !?
Just curious what the HBC'ers are doing this year. Don't be shy !

IF I can, I may but it will likely be a kamikaze trip, drive, short hunt (5-7 days), drive home... always end up with all the time off when I don't want it and not enough when I do :mad:

Painfully, regretfully, had to turn down a jetboat invite from a friend, again, due to not being able to give the required 45 days notice for days off.

Flingin' Sticks
07-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Had you asked yesterday I'd have said no...Got an invite today to possibly hike way back in for bighorns in mid august. I'm still kind of in disbelief that I may actually, finally get to try sheep hunting. Then I remember I've got 6 weeks to ready and realize just how badly its going to hurt. Oh well..nobody ever said learning to hunt sheep would be easy or comfortable.

coach
07-08-2012, 06:54 PM
I'll be hiking in from Kamloops lake in September. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/webkit-fake-url://7F099C74-A291-40A8-9F52-2698137C972F/imagegif A friend of a friend got the coveted draw! I'll make sure my camera battery is fully charged.

anglo-saxon
07-08-2012, 06:54 PM
45 day's notice? That's harsh!

Well, the older I get, the harder it is to get in shape, so I try to stay in shape year-round. Just coming off the longest period of leave (53 days!) I've ever had, though, has taken its toll and man I am having to work like a bugger to get back into shape. Luckily, in my line of work, I am given time for physical training. We get an hour each morning, but I am having to start earlier right now and get extra in. Lots of hills during the runs/ruck marches and lots of upper body. I would love to do a long-range sheep hunt or some such, even if I didn't have a tag and some one just needed the extra set of eyes/ears. That would be awesome.

hitch
07-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Hiking off the river. Looking for 2 hammers and it will all be on film!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-08-2012, 07:28 PM
hiking up somewhere looking for stones early or late or both.................

ufishifish2
07-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Heading up North past Fort Nelson for Stones. Will quad back a couple hours and set up base camp. Then we'll spike out for 3 days at a time.
Two weeks on the ground hunting stones will get us in shape for sure!

Bisonfirst
07-08-2012, 08:32 PM
First trip for stone's sheep for me. I am pumped! Been preparing for this for a long time!

houndogger
07-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Go later so book your 45 days now...plenty of time!

big game chaser
07-08-2012, 08:48 PM
I will be flying in for stones! then putting on alot of miles should be a gooder! Hope its a good trip been planning along time!

mark
07-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Driving waaaay up, then boating waaay up, then hiking waaay up.
Hoping to find a nice stone! aug. hunt

ianwuzhere
07-08-2012, 09:49 PM
hiking in for stones-off hwy. early season... should be starting to get my chicken legs in shape soon...

Fosey
07-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Will be hiking in the first two weeks of September. There is lots of options to fly but will probably hike in. It has been along time since I hunted Stones, last time seriosly hunting Stones was 1992. Been biking lots and have to keep working hard. would really like to purchase one of those Kuiu packs but would like the bugs to be worked out of them. Plus I am to cheap!!!! I saw Kootenay elk slayers Kuiu pack and was impressed. My wife is away for a few days and I have maps spread all over the living room. Hope she doesn't come home early.

BromBones
07-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Bit of a rat race for me to start out - finish 12 hr shift at work, go home and grab the dogs and gear, drive all night and hop on the plane the next morning. If it's early enough when we land, I'll make the long hike off of the lake to my 1st camp. Then it's sleep/lounge/glass time for a couple days until the season opens and the fun starts :)

kayjayess
07-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Stones fly in and then putting some miles on with the pack

junkyard_g
07-08-2012, 11:35 PM
had big plans but blew my acl in october. rehabbing like a mofo for a planned trip next year. we'll see how she goes....

Skull Hunter
07-09-2012, 08:52 AM
I'll be hiking in from the highway, I plan on making a few trips as I've got all of August off and a few different places to check out!

BCrams
07-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Sounds like with all the fly in hunts happening, it will be a great airshow throughout Northern BC this year!! "Wings over the Mountains"

It is awsome to see so many folks gearing up to head into the mountains for sheep!!

vip_ruger
07-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Leave 4 days early after night shift arrive at the plane fly to lake then hunt for 15 days for stones then again in sept have a 15 day hunt planed for stones and is another fly in then 3 weeks off at the end of sept and haven't set anything in stone yet I guess i see how we make out on the first 30 days of hunting

srupp
07-09-2012, 10:42 AM
kidney surgery 2 weeks before the opening for DALL sheep and my coveted Tat sheep tag..even had a wonderfgul memeber here who has horses and tons of expeience offer me the chance to go horseback..unfortunatley I need my kidneys and the 2 weeeks is not enough of a rehab..so no DALL sheep this year..

so plan B off to Spenses Bridge and the pursuit of Rockies..

good luck to all....

cheers
Steven

High Country
07-09-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm making the 1240 km drive. Atv'in for 26 km. Hiking up 4500feet to camp. Then it's time to start sniffing out some stone sheep. Right now I have 8 days in the kill zone but I may be able to steal more from work. It's not like they will be able to find me ha ha! I can't wait.

squeege
07-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Gonna try for the 3/4 slam this year on rockies in the south east corner of the province. Just remember to have fun, be safe and best of luck to everyone.

SHAKER
07-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Somewhere doing something...... just not sure where or what yet. That could change tomarrow though.

kennyj
07-09-2012, 08:14 PM
I'll be going solo for my second try for stone sheep.
Good luck all.
kenny