PDA

View Full Version : New to BC, Looking for hunting buddies

Bravepaw
07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Hey Folks, I'm moving to White Rock British Columbia from West Virginia and I am a very passionate Hunter. I don't know anything about hunting BC but am looking for someone to take me under their wing up here. I harvested close to 100 deer in West Virginia so I'm not new to hunting by any means. But British Columbia is another world compared to the type of hunting I did in the states and I know I have a lot to learn up here. So If anyone's looking for a friend to hunt with or just feel like giving tips and locations of good hunting grounds for various game please message me, thanks!

421fighter
07-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Hello Bravepaw.. There will be a number of hoops you will have to jump through, first. You will need to go through a C O R E course, ( Conservation, Outdoor Recreation environment) after you become either a landed immigrant or citizen. That will lead you to a hunters number, then the ability to get a hunting licence.That is needed to get the tags Then to buy firearms, or ammo, a Posession and Aquisition card. Or, hire a guide. If you are a blood relative of someone here, then they can apply to take you out hunting. I do hope I am right on this, but if I am not, someone will be sure to point out my errors!

monasheemountainman
07-08-2012, 04:57 PM
welcome to BC... like said by 421, you have to be a perminant resident to get a licence. work on that then you will be on your way to some awesome hunting opportnities!

Bravepaw
07-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I am still considered a visitor come this hunting season. I am bringing up one of my rifles and and buying ammo up there. I sent off my papers to become a Permanent resident but until that goes through I'm hunting as a visitor. I'm on top of the papers I need to hunt. I just am looking for information on where to hunt or perferably making friends. The circle of people I know in Canada aren't into the outdoors and I'm trying to make friends with the same interest. thanks for the info though and I appreciate any information thrown my way.

BearStump
07-08-2012, 07:11 PM
a good start would be to fill in your profile . how old a are you what are you into. do yo drink whiskey? do you like to road hunt, or wear out your feet? noones gonna go hunting on a completely " blind date"

Bravepaw
07-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Just updated my profile. As far as the whole road hunting thing goes I've never done it but it sounds more like shopping then hunting. But I'm a fan of free meat so if it puts food on the table and it isn't illegal i'm not opposed to it. I'd prefer to hunt on foot though.

The Dude
07-08-2012, 08:04 PM
You can hunt this fall as a Non-Resident, but need to pay the extra-cost tags and License, and MUST be accompanied by a BC Hunter. Resident info as above.
Welcome!

ufishifish2
07-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Welcome Bravepaw,
Well, you've come to the right place for sure.
Spend time right here on HBC and wade your way through the crap and you will find some really good advice and tips.
You will also get to know some really great people here over time.
If you get to hunt with a guy from Jelvis in Kamloops I will buy you a case of beer!
Enjoy!

REMINGTON JIM
07-08-2012, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=Bravepaw;1176264]Hey Folks, I'm moving to White Rock British Columbia from West Virginia and I am a very passionate Hunter. I don't know anything about hunting BC but am looking for . I harvested close to 100 deer in West Virginia so I'm not new to hunting by any means.

HOLY crap ! a 100 deer ! :shock: Just how old are ya ! :smile: LOL RJ

Everett
07-08-2012, 08:23 PM
First you will need to get a PAL before you can bring your rifle to Canada. You will need to take a Core course so you can get a hunter # than you will need to wait the required time to meet residency requirments as a foreigner I believe it 12 months as Canadian it would be 6 months. Hunting big game as a non resident is pretty much only for the wealthy. Hunting upland game as a non resident is an option. Hope this helps.

limit time
07-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Hi, and welcome!
Have you hunted with archery equipment? A gun license is not needed for archery equipment, and a crossbow is considered archery, so you can use it in the "bow only" season as well as the rifle season.
Myself... I LOVE bear hunting, when you get your all your paperwork together, give me a PM.

limit time
07-08-2012, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=Bravepaw;1176264]Hey Folks, I'm moving to White Rock British Columbia from West Virginia and I am a very passionate Hunter. I don't know anything about hunting BC but am looking for . I harvested close to 100 deer in West Virginia so I'm not new to hunting by any means.

HOLY crap ! a 100 deer ! :shock: Just how old are ya ! :smile: LOL RJ

Shit dude, there are more deer in some states than in Canada...

Moose Guide
07-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Welcome, in B.C. we have a wealth of big game animals to hunt in general open seasons(gos) but the north country and the Kootenays would be my choice for best hunting(biggest variety of game animals on gos). I wish you well on hunting your new home, look me up if you get to the West Kootenays!

anglo-saxon
07-08-2012, 08:50 PM
The circle of people I know in Canada aren't into the outdoors

Bed-wetters! Get rid of 'em!

This is from the BC hunting regs:

BC Resident
- means a person who is a
Canadian citizen or permanent resident of
Canada, and whose only or primary residence
is in British Columbia and who has been physically
present in BC for the greater portion of
each of 6 calendar months out of the 12
calendar months immediately before doing a
thing under the Wildlife Act, or if not a Canadian
citizen or permanent resident of Canada, but
whose only or primary residence is in British
Columbia, and has been physically present in
BC for the greater portion of each of the 12
calendar months immediately before doing a
thing under the WildlifeAct.

NON-RESIDENT HUNTERS
Non-residents of British Columbia hunting
big game must be accompanied by either a
licensed BC guide or a resident who holds a
Permit to Accompany.

You should study the BC hunting Regs in detail from cover to cover, then keep them handy. It'll keep you out the pooh!

Good luck!

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/ (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/)

REMINGTON JIM
07-08-2012, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;1176378]

Being just new to hunting too - i did not know that - Thank You ! :smile: RJ

moosinaround
07-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Come up north and help me pack a moose out of the bush, and a portion of it is yours!! Free meat??!! Maybe in a field in West Virginia, NOT IN BC!!!!! Almost cheaper to buy a beef and have it butchered!! Do it for the lifestyle and the good organic meat, not the cheap or free meat!!!! Enjoy Beautiful BC, make sure you see it all, there's lots of it to see!! Moosin

Bravepaw
07-08-2012, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;1176378]

LOL. West Virginia has had an over population problem my whole life or atleast in my county. My family doesn't buy beef, we kill Doe's off our property and keep the fridge full. I've been on hunts since I was 4. Harvesting since I was 8. so yea close to 100 deer. But the hunts aren't as Epic as what British Columbia is going to offer me.

Bravepaw
07-08-2012, 11:47 PM
So this "Permit to Accompany" Is that something easy to get for someone that's willing to take me hunting?

Bromley
07-09-2012, 12:41 AM
send me a PM I am in whiterock and went to school a little north of your parts so i can relate! Look forward to hearing from you.

barry1974w
07-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Welcome to B.C. You're going to love it here. Next time you have a week off go for drive and check some of it out.

Elkaddict
07-09-2012, 08:04 AM
So this "Permit to Accompany" Is that something easy to get for someone that's willing to take me hunting?

Permits to accompany are not difficult to get, unfortunately in your case being a non-resident of Canada the permit would have to be applied for by a relative. If you were a Canadian resident, but non-resident to B.C. then you could be accompanied by any friend. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/accompany_hunt.html#eligibility Gonna be a long 12 months:sad: Nothing stopping you from "scouting" though! It's a fantastic Province to explore. Welcome.

On edit: Just read your profile,... any chance of getting the wife to get her core? She could take you out, or any of the "in-laws" if they are into the sport. Get ready for sticker shock though, it is not cheap for a non-resident to hunt in B.C. $180.00 dollars for just a general license, then you have to start adding tags......

On a more positive note, it is much easier for a non-res. to fish in B.C. so you can still enjoy what B.C. has to offer and maybe scope out some hunting territory at the same time.

oldtimer
07-09-2012, 08:36 AM
I notice you said you were going to buy ammunition up here. I don't think you can until you get your " PAL " Might be wrong but I believe those are the rules............Mike

shottyshooter
07-09-2012, 10:12 AM
My sister did the opposite - married & moved to Washington - I always bug the BIL because our access to GOS and hunting in general is way better. Once you overcome the timeframes/hurdles you will be laughing! Good Luck!

Bravepaw
07-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Man this sucks. so I can't hunt with a friend I meet up there until my residency papers go through?

pg83
07-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Man this sucks. so I can't hunt with a friend I meet up there until my residency papers go through?

You can if you are willing to pay an outfitter a lot of money. If you have any family up here that is a Canadian Resident, get them to get their CORE and they can then get a Permit to Accompany for you and you are good to go. Time may be a little short to get any hunting in this year for you, but it sounds like you will be good to go for next year provided you have your residency by that time. This doesn't mean that you can't make friends and head out with them this year, you just can't hunt yourself.

Go here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

Like some others have mentioned, grab a copy of the Hunting Synopsis and read it a few times(at least the front portion).

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1214/docs/hunting_trapping_2012_2014.pdf

You can learn a ton on this website through the search feature. Try a specific species or area for starters. BC is an amazing place to live as a hunter, if you plan on living here for a while you are never going to want to leave.

shottyshooter
07-09-2012, 04:54 PM
If you have any family up here that is a Canadian Resident, get them to get their CORE and they can then get a Permit to Accompany for you and you are good to go. .

I haven't checked - but I think you needed to hold your licence for several years before you can get a permit to accompany a family member...

pg83
07-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I haven't checked - but I think you needed to hold your licence for several years before you can get a permit to accompany a family member...

You could be right. I have never done it before. Synopsis will have te answer.

Elkaddict
07-09-2012, 06:31 PM
You could be right. I have never done it before. Synopsis will have te answer.

He's correct, the answer is in the link I posted above. The Permit carrier has to have held a BC hunting license as well as a big game license for either 2 or 3 of the previous 5 years, depending on whether they have taken CORE or not.

bugler
07-09-2012, 07:39 PM
If you have taken hunter training in your home state you may not need to take the CORE here. I know a guy who moved here from Alberta and just had to show his equivalent from there to get his BC license, once the required time to become a resident had elapsed.