PDA

View Full Version : Bad Experience

Hal
11-11-2006, 02:09 PM
After a questionable run in with another hunter, I have to find out what the rest of you think.
If you were driving up an old road way back in the bush and find a truck parked to the side and foot prints in the snow going from the truck and down the road, would you still drive the road or turn around? I know that hunter has every right to be there as me, but I know I would turn around and look for another spot. Just courious what you would do?

swampdonkey
11-11-2006, 03:02 PM
i agree i always back out hunter ethics show some respect

J_T
11-11-2006, 03:04 PM
What I would not do, would be proceed down the road in my vehicle.

I might walk a bit and get a sense of where the dude was going, if he was a hunter, and what his plan might be. (maybe he's doing something unrelated to hunting. Maybe his truck broke down or he ran out of gas and needs help)

I would do my best not to impede upon the qaulity of his hunt.

JT

Gateholio
11-11-2006, 03:06 PM
This has come up at least a dozen times recently.

I think that nobody likes it, but maybe if it is happeneing, it's time to scout new areas?

mainland hunter
11-11-2006, 03:26 PM
it happens everywhere there's roads frustrating for sure but some people just dont think or dont care. i think theres alot of hunters that dont even realize that its unethical.

jjensen20
11-11-2006, 04:34 PM
I come across this all the time and i will always turn around.

I have a good story about this sort of thing though:

Me and a buddy were hunting a few years back and turned down a road where we had seen a decent buck the day before we just couldnt get a shot at him. Anyway when we turned down the road halfway down the road there was a vehicle parked right in the middle of the road and there were footprints walking down the road. (obviously this guy was hunting the clearing and didnt want anyone else too.) anyway, my friend was furious he was ranting and raving to me about people and the lack of respect and ethics they have for others, in the midst of listning the this i happen to glace into the first part of the clearing and there he was the buck from the night before. So i calmly mention this to my buddy, well lets just say that shut him up in a hurry, he was out of the truck and the buck was down in about .3 of a second, what makes the story ironic is that as we were pulling the deer out the guy who parked in the middle of the road was freaking out because we were partially blocking the road with our truck and he couldn't get by. (we pulled off as far off the road as possible.) My buddy calmly appoligized and moved the truck so the guy could get by, the look on his face as he saw the buck we had shot was priceless!!!!!!

LUCKY
11-11-2006, 05:14 PM
No question in my mind.
As soon as you see someone else is hunting the road you should quietly move on. I often will hunt 1 small road all morning and have had people drive in on me and walk in on me. I have been posted and had some one walk right in past me.
We should all show respect for our fellow hunters.

LUCKY

TravisC
11-11-2006, 05:16 PM
I have to say that i've come across this several times and most of the time its me who has walked into and area. It happened in princeton last year where this small cut with a nice little ridge where id seen a few nice deer in there the day before. So i parked the bike about 500 meters from the opening whitch was pretty much the end of the road anyway and walked in for the evening hunt. As it started to come dark i seen a few trucks come in then turn around at my bike. Then this one truck came in i watched him push my bike off to the side of road and drive in the extra few feet he then threw his beer out the window and spun around and sped out of there. I ran into them again coming back in at dark while i was leaving believe me i was pissed for the way they where hunting:twisted: ( im not going to say what race they were)..... Then this year while waiting for enough light before heading into another spot during our LEH hunt. I was sitting on my bike getting ready to head in when one truck came speeding up was going to come in then changed his mind ...lots of other areas to hunt. Now as i start down the road another truck comes down and rips on by. i was CHOKED!! But then he stopped (ethics) and backed up, he knew the area so he said i was here first and that they will wait till i go in so they can go in on the other side. knowing the road spit up ahead and that it was a small split to where they would go i was much happier that there were some decent hunters out there.

Hal
11-11-2006, 07:20 PM
What happened was we parked about 1500 yrds before a dead end.We parked to the side and walked in foot prints in full view. We walked in to an area between the road and a clearing, then my son and I set up in a stand of trees.After a while I hear a truck come up the road an I thought that when he saw the truck and tracks he would turn around........he didn't. So he comes down the road and when he comes into view I step out of the tree's and give a wave,expecting him to finally turn around........he didn't. I just about filled my shorts, I couldn't believe it. The a-hole drives past me to the end of the road, waits a few miniutes and drive out. The worst part is that this guy had a kid with him. This is how an a-hole is produced. The kid doesn't stand a chance.

nykoma
11-11-2006, 07:30 PM
well never had happen to me till today, but the ass shot the deer i was tracking down. at the least i hit the dirt kissing it for everything. i frigured he was 300 or 400 yards from the deer and i was less then 60 yards from it. ( bowhunting ).

after i watched him come and claim his prize. i came around on him and scared the shit out of him. yelled at him " nice kill !!!!!!" felted better after this explaining to him i spent close to a hour tracking it down. them asked him if he say my truck parked on the side (so others can turn around and leave ):-|

brotherjack
11-11-2006, 10:55 PM
I think the rule should be to try to avoid other hunters when possible, and in the example given, I'd be gone the second I saw the situation.

I don't think, however, that the same rules apply if I was parked on a major (or even a minor but regularly traveled/heavily hunted) FSR. If it's an area with a lot of traffic like that, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the whole world to back off because I got out of my truck - those are the situations when I, the hunter, should be getting myself well away from the road if I want a private hunt.

CanuckShooter
11-12-2006, 08:37 AM
And then there are the a-houles that park their vehicles at the opening to every major cut close to their condo hunting camps and think they own each and every cut they have 'marked'...ANd then they have the balls to post private property/no trespass signs on crown and private land...and then they have even bigger balls to come into your camp to 'inform' you that your hunting on private property. What do they think?? That we all live in the 'big city' and don't know any better?? Just plain old dumbasses, on a side note luck was on their side because if another of their group had the nuts to try the 'your hunting on private property' bs routine he was going to get the old fashion northern watoosi dance lesson. some guys have all the luck.:twisted: