PDA

View Full Version : Black Bears Vs Grizzlies Fear

Mulehahn
07-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Didn't want to hijac the other thread. People are always asking questions about what to do in when going into grizzly country, but don't seem to think twice about hunting with black bears all around. Why is that? Between the two, BB scare the crap outta me. I have hiked and grizzly country, hunted in grizzly country, fished the same river as them and have never have never had one scare me real bad. I have had them stand up or stomp at me, but nothing serious. Once they knew what I was they moved on. Blackies on the other hand, numerous times I have had them act aggressive towards me or heard of them menacing a friend. About two years ago, I was hiking into a lake near kamloops and a black bear was on the same trail. No biggie, yelled, waved arms but it just kept coming. Not aggessive but not scared either. Then at about 15 yrds it went into the bushes. Then I was worried (better to know where it was). Last year when hunting up near Good Hope Lake, I came around the corner and saw a nice blackie on the side of the road. Drove around a bend, parked and walked back to check him out. Found him a bit closer to the road. He saw me, huffed/growled and went back to the grass. No Fear, did not care I was there. The third time a buddy of mine was "stalked" by a blackie. Don't know what the bear was really doing, but my buddy was on a lower trail with his dad and their dog above. His dad looked down and saw a BB with its ears back and crouched low following my buddy. The dog treed it it, but who knows what may of happened. This is only a few of the more recent examples. Not saying don't fear a grizz, but they are not the only danger out there. Its a matter of numbers, only 1 in 1000 bears may be aggressive, but when you only have 15,000 grizzlies, and 150,000 blackies I worry more about the blackies.

REMINGTON JIM
07-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Very Good Points - i feel the same as you - in most instances i do think that black bears are more dangerous - but i do know that when a grizz does attack its prob the worst attack of the two bears its going to be ! JMO RJ

Danielcan
07-04-2012, 07:52 PM
My dad went to Australia to visit his sister some 30

years ago, they feared the wild boar. My dad laughed at

them for their fear of "a pig", as is his way. he went

on to tell the locals he hunts Canada, home to grizzly

bears. My point is not my dad’s arrogance indicative of

ignorance, but rather that the grizzly bear is the

biggest we have, it’s impressive. If he were to say I’ve

had a 300 pound black bear follow me through the bush

for a bit, the locals would have countered with, "how’d

you do to be treed by a pack of 150 kelo tuskers,

mate?". The black bear is a big solitary dog, a man

doesn’t fear a dog, dogs maybe, if there big, but not a single

black bear. Wearing a bell and carrying pepper spray and

curling up into the fetal position is for

women and children, carrying a gun and a big knife

is for men.

long post short, grizzlies are bigger.

Big Lew
07-04-2012, 07:56 PM
For those of you that are a bit nervous about sharing our woods with either grizzlies or black bears, I have just the book for you to read....:shock::shock:
....Bear Attacks, their Causes and Avoidance
by Stephen Herrero....

Lyons & Burford, Publishers
Distributed in Canada by Hurtig Publishers Ltd./Edmonton

I guarantee that if you weren't apprehensive or nervous about bears prior to reading this book, you will be after finishing the book, including the back outside cover....enjoy:smile:

Anyone living in the Mission-Abbotsford area that would like to borrow this book can PM me.

Gateholio
07-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Grizzly bears are tough customers, for sure, but you are more likely to be attacked by a black bear for a number of reasons. FIrst, there are so many more black bears, and second, black bears sometimes act predatory towards humans, while grizzlies rarely begin an attack for predatory purposes.

I've been stalked by black bears and so have several of my friends. I've never been stalked by a grizzly, although I've definitely had to back away from some of them! :)

Ourea
07-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Facts are facts........black bears are responsible for the most attacks in North America. They inhabit a very broad range of habitat and overall space on the map. Areas where the masses interface with them.....incidents are inevitable.
Gates is spot on.

Grizzlies however...different deal.
One shit your pants point blank aggressive experience with a griz and blackies seem like song birds all of a sudden.

Those of you that have shared the experience know what I'm talkin about....

BradB
07-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Stephen Herreros book is definitely a good one for anyone looking to learn more about bears, but I don't know that it scared the hell out of me. I think more than anything it gave me a good foundation of knowledge for avoidance. People ask me about spending time around grizzlies and when they ask me about whether I'm scared, I usually reply with no because grizzlies are almost always pretty good at letting you know their intentions. If they aren't happy and you know what to look for, you'll know. Black bears can be so much harder to read and that's what's so unnerving about them for me.

Big Lew
07-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Stephen Herreros book is definitely a good one for anyone looking to learn more about bears, but I don't know that it scared the hell out of me. I think more than anything it gave me a good foundation of knowledge for avoidance. People ask me about spending time around grizzlies and when they ask me about whether I'm scared, I usually reply with no because grizzlies are almost always pretty good at letting you know their intentions. If they aren't happy and you know what to look for, you'll know. Black bears can be so much harder to read and that's what's so unnerving about them for me.

Yes, I thought I knew quite a bit about how to read and avoid problems with black bears, but that book was certainly an eye opener. I agree that it won't scare the hell out of most outdoors persons, but it will make them more wary, apprehensive, and nervous when a blackly approaches them in a stalking manner.

The_Bear_Man
07-04-2012, 10:52 PM
The book by Stephen Herreros is a good read. Being a new hunter I have not had any close calls with bears but hopefully have a bit more insight on how to avoid potential problems.

elker
07-05-2012, 12:01 AM
of course we should fear grizzlies more than black bears. if get attacked by them, you can fight till death and have a good chance beat a blackie with whatever you have in your hands. but you will almost 100% be killed by a grizzly in a similar situation.

sky-gunner
07-05-2012, 12:13 AM
I had a black bear roaming our neighborhood Monday night around 930. We got in the car with a bear banger, he ended up right on my neighbors front door step sniffing around. So we honked and yelled, it's didn't care. Then he proceeded to climb the fence into my back yard. We raced home, I ran to the back door and yelled at it, he just kept coming towards me slowly, starring at me no giving a single fck that I was there. So I shot the banger off, it flew past him and blew up on the neighbors house (oops). Anyway he turned and watched it fly by him, then when it blew, the ******* literally ran through my fence. I wish I knew how to upload pics from my phone. My fence stands about 6 feet high, and when he stood up he was about 2 feet higher than the fence. I figure he was about 3-400 pounds. Huge black bear no fear of People. He only ran 2 yards down before he went back to browsing. I have no experience with grizzlies. But this black bear is scary. Lots of kids in the hood. Called fish and game they didn't seem to care.

hunter1947
07-05-2012, 02:50 AM
I find the the more remote areas I find bears in that is when they are more dangerous ,areas where it is not remote and bears see hunters all the time they tend not to be as aggressive and run away from you not so much the Griz but the black bears.

In all my years out hunting on Vancouver island I have never had an aggressive bear encounter and I have encountered hundreds of blacks while hunting for deer on the island.

For grizzlies its a different story they are more aggressive and have had about 6 encounters with them over my years hunting elk here in the EK is it there size that makes some of them aggressive I don't know ???.

When I encounter ether a black or a Griz I am always ready for the unexpected I am always aware of my surroundings when I am in the bush hunting I don't trust ether of the two species and thats why I am on my gard at all times..

Tikka270wsm
07-05-2012, 06:56 AM
I think I worry about stepping on a bees nest more than I do bears. At least you can shoot a bear if it is a problem. I have fished beside blacks and hunted in Grizz country and where I do think it is very important to give bears space and to be aware of their capabilities, it is more important to watch for the hidden dangers in the woods. If you are consumed with fear of bears or other animals, you are twice as likely to get hurt or mangled by the terrain alone.
Last year I damn near walked right off a cliff that was hidden by a patch of salal that extended over the ridge by about 10 feet. If I went down, it would have been fatal for sure.

hunterdon
07-05-2012, 09:41 AM
When I encounter ether a black or a Griz I am always ready for the unexpected I am always aware of my surroundings when I am in the bush hunting I don't trust ether of the two species and thats why I am on my gard at all times..

Grizzly bears are tough customers, for sure, but you are more likely to be attacked by a black bear for a number of reasons. FIrst, there are so many more black bears, and second, black bears sometimes act predatory towards humans, while grizzlies rarely begin an attack for predatory purposes.

:)

Well agreed. There has been many documented bear attacks with black bears acting as predators.

I'm reminded on one particular gruesome attack from Ontario about 20 years ago. There were 2 hunters camped out on an island on lake Nipissing in Ontario. As they were several days late returning from their hunting trip, a search was conducted. The search party found their tent and belongings still on the island, but with a large tear in the fabric of the tent. There were drag marks on the ground leading from the tent into the nearby bush. There they found the remains of the 2 men. (what little there was)

It was concluded that a large black bear had most likely swam across to the island during the night, tore into the tent, killed and dragged the 2 men out and proceded to consume the bodies over a period of time. (one week estimate). All that was left was some clothing framents. Everything else was consumed by the bear. They never did find that bear.

RiverOtter
07-05-2012, 06:40 PM
IME, if a black bear does a bunch of huffing and puffing about what he "could" do to you, he usually won't.

When they are quiet, methodical and focused on you, you got problems....

scoutlt1
07-05-2012, 07:08 PM
I liken it to comparing driving to flying.
Statistically, you have a much better chance of getting into some kind of trouble with a black bear because there are so many more of them (driving)....but with the proper knowledge you have a better chance of coming out of that encounter alive. Good chance it can just be a fender-bender.
Getting into trouble with a Grizz is like being in a plane crash. If it happens it's probably gonna be ugly.

Does that metaphor even work?? :confused: lol

HD95
07-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Well put...

quadrakid
07-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Good thread,i used to think black bears were good for throwing rocks at,i did not pay much attention to them. After reading many books on bears i don,t take the black bears so lightly. If you want a good bear story try "The Black Grizzly Of Whiskey Creek " by Sid Marty.

RiverOtter
07-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Prolly the part that concerns me the most about Blacks, is that after they maul you, your odds of getting turned into bear poop are much greater. Fine and dandy, if you're already dead, but I've read too many accounts of the feeding starting PRE-Mortem.

If you've ever seen a bear feeding on a salmon, you know what you're in for.........:shock:

steel_ram
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I think a little 150 lb Black could FYU pretty good if it wanted to. The most numerous scary encounters with wildlife amongst my aquaintances, especially during the summer has been with cow moose with calfs. They are very protective.

Iron Glove
07-06-2012, 10:00 AM
For those of you that are a bit nervous about sharing our woods with either grizzlies or black bears, I have just the book for you to read....:shock::shock:
by Stephen Herrero....

I guarantee that if you weren't apprehensive or nervous about bears prior to reading this book, you will be after finishing the book, including the back outside cover....enjoy:smile:

Anyone living in the Mission-Abbotsford area that would like to borrow this book can PM me.

Agree it's a well writen and very well researched book, with stats to back it up.
When I first read it, maybe 10 + years ago, I was quite suprised by the predatory nature of the Black Bears, it was contrary to everything that we had been led to believe over the years.
I have a copy sitting on the coffee table of our cabin - many guests have read it and then refuse to leave the yard after. :)
Never had a frightening encounter with a bear, it's the damn mule deer does that scare the crap outta me.

Danielcan
07-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Bah, books are for women and children.

All jokes aside, I never seen a live grizzly. Nor have most folks, people fear what they dont know.

Big Lew
07-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Bah, books are for women and children.

All jokes aside, I never seen a live grizzly. Nor have most folks, people fear what they dont know.

Unless you go to a zoo, it's pretty hard to see any unless you go out into their playground:razz::smile:
The day you have one bluff charge you or start popping it's gums in agitation as it rocks from one leg to another is the day you'll know fear.

Salty
07-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Through hunting fishing working and other wise messing around in the bush through the years I've ran in to black bears in the hundreds. They get my attention but I'm fairly confident around them armed or other wise. I've only seen a few grizzlys and they put me on high alert.

Ourea
07-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Unless you go to a zoo, it's pretty hard to see any unless you go out into their playground:razz::smile:
The day you have one bluff charge you or start popping it's gums in agitation as it rocks from one leg to another is the day you'll know fear.

Big L, bang on.
Someone reading a book about black bears and their documented history of showing predatory tendancies is one thing ( all do respect to those that posted up valuable insight on their readings). Black Bears are far more larthergic about their aproach to predatory attacks on humans. Grizzlies, whole new deal. ....their shit goes down fast and furious. I had an experience, albeit minor , pales in comparison to the people i know who didnt fare well. They got chewed.
Aint the fear of the unknown that gets a guys radar up...its the reality of knowing that its real.

Big Lew
07-06-2012, 10:18 PM
"mpotzold"
'A wake-up call was the Liard Hotsprings attack. In Aug. 1997 an unprovoked & predatory attack by a very aggressive bear occurred. The bear killed 2 people -a young woman and a local man trying to protect her. Her son was severely mauled.'

I stayed at Laird Hotsprings in 2000 while touring on a bicycle, and most everyone I met there that were either working or tourists went out of their way to warn me about bears and tell me of that unfortunate incident. I was advised by a Warden to stay at the motel rather than tent camp as there were other unpredictable bears in the area he was concerned about. I took his advise. I did have an uncomfortable situation just west of Summit Lake where a cantankerous black bear was showing aggressive behaviour and began stalking me, but vehicles on the road blocked for me until I was able to leave the area.

RENO
07-06-2012, 10:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLsOcbizFe8&feature=related
this one cut short
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br373JIsQWY

comments are good on this one
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e9b_1306560469&comments=1

i think it's good to stay on alert , for either one and goes for cougars and wolves as well.

Mulehahn
07-06-2012, 11:59 PM
In the last video that looks like a phase black bear to me. Could be a grizzly, but I don't think so. Just reinforces my belief that you gotta be careful. Either way, guys lucky. And I agree, there are far greater concerns when I am out hunting then bears (sprained ankle, getting lost, other hunters, moose can be nasty). But to me, if you do everything right, keep your wits around you and pay attention your can drastically reduce the chance of am actual mauling with a grizz (but it can still happen as some guys on here atest to). I just don't see the same being true for a black bear. You can stash your food, make a bunch of noise while walking, be in a group such as what happened at Liard, let it know you are there, and all that and it still may stalk and attack you. They are mental!

sky-gunner
07-08-2012, 04:32 AM
I think that the overall lesson to be learned here is it is unwise to be unarmed in the bush. Black or grizzly, they are both powerful predators and can completely ruin your day. I think 12 gauge slugs or better is much more comforting than bear spray or bangers. Always be aware of your surroundings and possible exit points. And always be armed.

dutchie
07-08-2012, 07:34 AM
I think that there is such a huge stigma around grizzlies because "gun shots are like dinner bells". you hear and see alot more aggressive grizzlies in the news rather then just a cute little cuddly black bear.

I have never heard about black bears doing anything like coming up to your kill and wanting it a little more then you do. Or in Brambles and the Rattler's case wanting you gone because of thier territory on thier "migration path"

dutchie

The Hermit
07-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Bottom line... If either one decides to kill you it doesn't matter if its a black or grizzly. Would you rather be hit by a Mac truck or a train either way you are done like dinner!

Pioneerman
10-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Being there are more black bear attacks than Grizzly and that a 150 lbs black bear killed 3 people at Liard hot springs a few years ago, it is very possible to be hurt killed or injured by any size bear, but for strength I would rather be bare handed against a Black fighting for my life rather than a Grizzly

One Shot
10-22-2012, 12:29 PM
by Stephen Herrero....

If you haven't read it yet and you go into bear country frequently IT IS A MUST READ.....................Mind you there will be always the unknown variable that you cannot predicte but this book will educate you to help reduce the risks, encounters and to increase your skills to get out of a situation when an encounter occurs.

RiverOtter
10-22-2012, 05:10 PM
700 lbs. black bear verses 500 lbs. grizzly! Who would win in a fight to the death?

Grizzly...Assuming the black bear even stayed to fight.

Pablothemagnificent
10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
A decade ago my son (15 at the time) and I stalked a grizzly when we thought we were honing in on a moose.
We got within 50 yards of something large in a grove of spruce. I should have clued in on the ravens in the trees because they were the key to understanding what was going on. I finally listened to that oh-oh feeling and the hair standing up on the back of my neck and we got outa there.
We got back onto a fs road and got a few hundred yards down the trail. Then my son exclaims, "Dad! Look!" A grizzly emerged from exactly where we had been. Turns out that he was burying a kill. Of course, the reason that the ravens were making a cacophony in the trees is because they were being prevented from feeding by the grizz. It was, thankfully, a good learning experience and the grizz left us alone. Not sure that would have happened if we had stayed longer.

Sofa King
10-22-2012, 09:38 PM

I've been stalked by black bears and so have several of my friends. I've never been stalked by a grizzly, although I've definitely had to back away from some of them! :)

this.

black bears can be totally unpredictable.
at least with a grizz, we pretty much know how they act/respond.

that said, if i had to choose one to be attacked by, i'm picking the black every time.

Sofa King
10-22-2012, 09:40 PM
A decade ago my son (15 at the time) and I stalked a grizzly when we thought we were honing in on a moose.
We got within 50 yards of something large in a grove of spruce. I should have clued in on the ravens in the trees because they were the key to understanding what was going on. I finally listened to that oh-oh feeling and the hair standing up on the back of my neck and we got outa there.
We got back onto a fs road and got a few hundred yards down the trail. Then my son exclaims, "Dad! Look!" A grizzly emerged from exactly where we had been. Turns out that he was burying a kill. Of course, the reason that the ravens were making a cacophony in the trees is because they were being prevented from feeding by the grizz. It was, thankfully, a good learning experience and the grizz left us alone. Not sure that would have happened if we had stayed longer.

that's a great story.
lucky, with such a close call.

Sofa King
10-22-2012, 09:43 PM
How about a blackie that is 5x the size!

45 year old woman hunter kills a 700 lbs. black bear using a 308.

http://www.ricelakeonline.com/main.asp?SectionID=12&SubSectionID=214&ArticleID=24579

700 lbs. black bear verses 500 lbs. grizzly! Who would win in a fight to the death?

who wins?
the 500 lb grizzly's 1000 lb mama.

Buckzilla
10-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Hands down, I'd rather walk face to face un armed to a blackie anyday!
been having random grizz encounters in the last couple years in close quarters including a bluff charge last fall to 40', that is leaving me feeling a touch spooked from these big guys.
Spotted one 100 yards lower than me in the old growth hunting deer Sunday, and it stood the hair on my back even at that distance... Oddly enough, there was a wolverine about 50 yards from him approx same distance from me.
i headed opposite direction...