PDA

View Full Version : coon hunting.

d_j__c
07-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Does anyone hunt racoons in bc? I have a young hound i dont want sitting in the backyard Ill summer. If anyone was ans tips that would be great.

BCHunterTV
07-04-2012, 05:21 PM
good thread,

Training Tips

The owners of Shaffers Training Center in Charlestown, WV advise on its website that raising puppies in the house rather than a kennel environment makes a dog more trusting of humans and easier to train for hunting. Train the dogs in different types of terrain--basically anywhere the raccoon is found. Train dogs with simulated hunting, which demands the scent of the coon. Use commercial coon scent, hide, or roadkill. Lay the trail on the property, ending at a tree. Making sure the dog barks at the right tree, and continues to bark until the hunter arrives, is the major training hurdle. Putting a hide in the tree is the best way to encourage the dog to keep barking until you arrive. With any dog training activity, praise and a small food reward lets the dog know he's done the right thing.

BCHunterTV
07-04-2012, 05:41 PM
ive seen tracks in the winter, mainly around water sources when looking for cat tracks

All the reading ive done on dry ground it says just to free cast your hound and let it walk the area/road to pick up scent. Id like to give it a try..

Brew
07-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I have called the odd raccoon around beaver ponds while calling for bobcats. Probably a good place to start just like bchuntertv said. Oddly enough they came into a rabbit distress call.

bc_buckshot
07-04-2012, 08:01 PM
What my uncle and I do with our hounds is help local neighbour out and by catching the pesky raccoon from making a mess in the garbage. Trap them. Take the dogs and trapped raccoon out to the bush where it's safe. Open the cage and let it run for 50 yards and let the pups go. That way the learn to chase, learn to tree and bay, and good exersice for the dogs. Remember hounds arnt ment for hunting so use them

Danielcan
07-04-2012, 08:12 PM
I like what bc_buckshot said, I would try it. I seen canadian tire sells coon traps (and dip nets). trap a small one, there mean.

chilcotin hillbilly
07-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Live trap the coons, put them in a roll cage and let the dogs have some fun. Turn the coon loose and let the dogs chase it down. Do this a few times and your dogs should soon want to trail them up, let the dogs stretch a couple and they will even get more fired up. It won't be long and the dogs should learn to strike coons when riding the box, you have to make sure your dogs are broke on all trash before letting them go on strikes. Most dogs will take to coons easily and it sounds like a great way to kill some time.

xfactor
07-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Hey hillbilly. What do you mean by "broke on trash"?

Not that I'm hunting coons, just curious

Thanks in advance

ianwuzhere
07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
yup- let the dogs play a lil tug o war few times and they will be hooked!

brad ferris
07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
There's a few running around the west kootenays. Check the regs on seasons and such. Get out early in the morning around riondel or talk to some farmers over there. The live trapping and moving of caged coons can be very effective but can also get you in trouble with the COs

brad ferris
07-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Hey hillbilly. What do you mean by "broke on trash"?

Not that I'm hunting coons, just curious

Thanks in advance

They talk funny over there in the chilcotin. Everywhere else we say broke "off" trash. Lol.
This means your hound doesn't chase stuff like deer and moose oranything else you don't mean to catch.

xfactor
07-04-2012, 09:45 PM
^^ thanks. Makes sense.

SHAKER
07-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Just be careful 'coons can be tough on pups if you get a nasty one that wants to fight. Don't ruin a good hound pup with an old dumpster diver thats used to beat'n on the local domestic animals. I've seen things I cannot talk about on here when dealing with "city" coons.

d_j__c
07-05-2012, 06:28 AM
By pup i ment dog. She is 2 and a good little dog. Just Trying to hunt her in the number months. Grand forks was no closed selon no bag limit. Just looking for ideas to get her started.

BCHunterTV
07-05-2012, 07:51 AM
I'd be getting a hide for her to smell and taunt her with...

Another thing is bears, the season is closed so you run a chance that your hound may take its scent and run/tree the bear. If this happens leash up and try another area

Peter Pepper
07-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Good info guys. Been looking into this myself as my black and tan needs something to do in the summer.
Now if only we could do it at night like down south. Fun!

yukon john
07-05-2012, 08:33 PM
I like what bc_buckshot said, I would try it. I seen canadian tire sells coon traps (and dip nets). trap a small one, there mean.
It would be a pile of fun to catch a big boar coon in a dip net......

anglo-saxon
07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Don't need hounds around here. You can pretty much just smack 'em with a shovel!

SHAKER
07-06-2012, 09:26 AM
It would be a pile of fun to catch a big boar coon in a dip net......

That would be entertaining to watch........ notice I said watch!

naswell
07-17-2012, 07:01 PM
lol well if you wana have some fun with ur dog get a trap, at least he gets to sniff it n shit without it hurting him. gives you a chance to see what he does when popen a .22