PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Mule Deer

Fullcurled4point
07-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Hey guys....been thinking about doing an early season mule deer hunt with the bow..not sure where yet but anyways...Anyone ever done this? if so can u post some info...maybe some pics?

Wild one
07-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Do you have a host or are you going guided?

I live in Alberta for a while and there is some great mule deer hunting.

Most of the good prairie mule deer is private property but getting permission is easy

There is some good hunting for mountain mule deer but be ready to hike and without knowing the area it can be tough

bruin
07-04-2012, 11:16 AM
I went to school in Alberta and hunted early season mulies consistantly. It was always a blast. I got us permission on a large chunk of river coulie and we hunted that one piece all season long. It was easier than getting permission on multiple small chunks and we learned that area better and could stalk and persue deer further. Just had to get a landowners map. I'd love to say we killed some awesome bucks, we certainly saw them, but we mostly came away with great experiences!

Gr8 white hunter
07-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Ya my brother lives in Fort Mcmurry and he wants me to meet in Hixon for moose,elk,dear,is it worth going late sept?

tomahawk
07-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Ya my brother lives in Fort Mcmurry and he wants me to meet in Hixon for moose,elk,dear,is it worth going late sept?

Hixon is in BC, maybe its Hinton?

Gr8 white hunter
07-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Soory your right it Hinton.

Blacktail
07-04-2012, 08:27 PM
mule deer in alberta are LEH draw so if you havent applied with a alberta resident for the draw you will have to use a guide for them

bugler
07-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Bowhunting for mule deer in a bow season is generally not on draw in Alta so you just need a resident to host you. That means someone who can hunt with you who is also an Alta resident. He/she has to get a hunter host permit and you just buy the tags over the counter when you get there. You will need a WIN card which you can apply for on line.

Been there twice mainly hunting mulies. Saw some beauties, passed some small ones, and took a nice bull elk last year while hunting with my cousin (the mulie hunting was kinda slow last year!)

So if you have a friend or relative that wants to bowhunt with you over there, you are 3/4 on your way.

Ambush
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM
mule deer in alberta are LEH draw so if you havent applied with a alberta resident for the draw you will have to use a guide for them

Are you sure that's case with archery?

Archer
07-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Mulie hunting here is a blast; its all private property where I hunt, around the Calgary area. Not as easy of a hunt as the videos would have you believe (at least not where I'm at), but when it comes together, its pretty sweet.

Blacktail
07-05-2012, 06:21 AM
An Alberta Resident can obtain a general mule deer licence if he /she first obtains a bowhunting permit.If that Alberta resident gets a mulie buck draw then you cant get a general mule deer tag.
A non resident Canadian is eligible to enter the draw for big game in Alberta if you apply with a resident ( kinda like a group hunt application).
A non resident Canadian is eligible to purchase an antlered mule deer tag. I think it is under the same condition of purchasing a bowhunting permit first.
In order for a non resident to hunt you need to have a hunter host that is an Alberta resident.

You need a WIN card ( wildlife identification number) first in order to purchase anything.
You can do all that stuff online and get some more info from https://www.albertarelm.com/

Fullcurled4point
07-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Wow great info guys...ive got a buddy in ALTA so i guess i just need to bug him for it. Im guessing the Pincher area is prbbly the best for prairie mule deer? And i just go door to door asking for permission?

cstairs
07-05-2012, 07:34 AM
For This year there not on draw, take a look at albertaoutdoorsmen there is a huge thread on 2013 going on draw for bow tags. I just relocated to BC for work and will say early season Mule deer bow hunting is awesome. You can catch bucks in groups heading into crop land looking to get fat.

Archer
07-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I would get on bugging your friend to line up the permit, and maybe have him scout permission starting now as well. Many ranchers/farmers get annoyed by a sudden influx of trucks rolling in asking for permission when the season rolls around, and as the saying goes, the early bird gets the worm...
The more land you can have lined up, the better, as a quarter-section of open country here (1/2 mile x 1/2 mile) can be hunted pretty quick.

Good luck!

PS.
I'll see if I can figure out the pic thing later, and get some up for you.

Blacktail
07-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Like archer said
if you are not familiar to the area or the ranchers start getting permission now