PDA

View Full Version : First Grizzly tag.

RMK
07-03-2012, 07:47 PM
I am looking for some info on a recent LEH hunt I got. Do I have to buy a tag for grizzly after getting my LEH info or what do I need to know? I also havent ever skinned a bear does anyone have some info that they could share? do's and donts? Also on a grizzly do you have to take the meat? I have heard you dont have to whats the scoop on this? where can I find some info?? thanks My draw is up past muncho lake for all those wondering.

boxhitch
07-03-2012, 08:21 PM
where can I find some info??HBC search function, for starters.

slyfox
07-03-2012, 08:22 PM
No dont have to take meat on grizz what reg 7 52.

warnniklz
07-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I am looking for some info on a recent LEH hunt I got. Do I have to buy a tag for grizzly after getting my LEH info or what do I need to know? I also havent ever skinned a bear does anyone have some info that they could share? do's and donts? Also on a grizzly do you have to take the meat? I have heard you dont have to whats the scoop on this? where can I find some info?? thanks My draw is up past muncho lake for all those wondering.

you sure do... I think they're $80 or somewhere around there.

BChunter
07-03-2012, 08:25 PM

RMK, for starters you should have a partner also loaded for bear. Consider loads with solids like Barnes X bullets. Grizzlys are not shot with snap shots or on the run. You need to be well prepared and make each shot count. I recommend a mid shoulder shot to bust bones and then keep shooting. Both you and your partner keep shooting to anchor the bear depending on the terrain and brush. Bullet holes are easy to stitch. I've been up past Muncho a number of times but always just passing through or flying out hunting. I would recommend glassing side hills where the berries would still be available depending on the timing as they will be looking for anything in the fall. Watch a bear for a while to check for rubbed patchs or cubs. A boar will definately be alone and more blocky overall if he's got any age or size. Sneak in down wind to as close as 100 yards is easy. They have great shnoss's but lousy eyes.
Do yourself a favour now. Choose a taxidermist and ask them about the recommended skinning and salting methods. With no experience, skin to the paws and neck and get into Fort Nelson and the taxidermist or find videos on how-to instruction. Take 40 lbs of salt. Better yet, stop in Ft. Nelson on the way and speak to the taxiderist about what he would charge to skin & prep the hide to head south. It's worth every cent! A griz is a wonderfull trophy and my wife loves our bear rug. I've seen a few shot and every hunter in BC should get a Grizzly. They are not endangered in my opinion, at least up north and no one wants them near towns anyhow. Good luck and you need to purchase a tag too. Definately go, this part of BC is awesome. Also, take a stone sheep tag, they are often seen from the highway. If you don't have a tag, you will probably see a "cranker" not far from the road.

warnniklz
07-03-2012, 08:25 PM
well you don't have to if you don't plan on hunting them

Paulyman
07-03-2012, 08:27 PM
If you don't want the meat consider taking it out of the bush to be turned into dog food, I certainly would take it off your hands as it would be a shame to see it go to waste.

Paul

scoutlt1
07-03-2012, 08:45 PM
yes you need a tag. Info on skinning as stated...talk to the taxi in Ft. Nelson. No you don't need to take the meat.....but if you have a dog or know someone who want the meat.... Info in the regs.
I lived in the area if you want some info feel free to PM.
Another note...I've found the grizzlies to be a bit grumpier there than in other areas...just a personal obsevation. Be prepared and stay alert!....and yes, get a stone tag!! :-)

cameron0518
07-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Really? This stuff should be known. Open up some regs. You should have some knowledge on some of these questions. Good luck and remember to buy your tag.

monasheemountainman
07-03-2012, 08:59 PM
RMK, for starters you should have a partner also loaded for bear. Consider loads with solids like Barnes X bullets. Grizzlys are not shot with snap shots or on the run. You need to be well prepared and make each shot count. I recommend a mid shoulder shot to bust bones and then keep shooting. Both you and your partner keep shooting to anchor the bear depending on the terrain and brush. Bullet holes are easy to stitch. I've been up past Muncho a number of times but always just passing through or flying out hunting. I would recommend glassing side hills where the berries would still be available depending on the timing as they will be looking for anything in the fall. Watch a bear for a while to check for rubbed patchs or cubs. A boar will definately be alone and more blocky overall if he's got any age or size. Sneak in down wind to as close as 100 yards is easy. They have great shnoss's but lousy eyes.
Do yourself a favour now. Choose a taxidermist and ask them about the recommended skinning and salting methods. With no experience, skin to the paws and neck and get into Fort Nelson and the taxidermist or find videos on how-to instruction. Take 40 lbs of salt. Better yet, stop in Ft. Nelson on the way and speak to the taxiderist about what he would charge to skin & prep the hide to head south. It's worth every cent! A griz is a wonderfull trophy and my wife loves our bear rug. I've seen a few shot and every hunter in BC should get a Grizzly. They are not endangered in my opinion, at least up north and no one wants them near towns anyhow. Good luck and you need to purchase a tag too. Definately go, this part of BC is awesome. Also, take a stone sheep tag, they are often seen from the highway. If you don't have a tag, you will probably see a "cranker" not far from the road.

better make sure your buddy has a tag for one in the same area too. like you said if you take the right shot you will be fine and wont need hep from your buddy.

REMINGTON JIM
07-03-2012, 09:05 PM
RMK, for starters you should have a partner also loaded for bear. Consider loads with solids like Barnes X bullets. Grizzlys are not shot with snap shots or on the run. You need to be well prepared and make each shot count. I recommend a mid shoulder shot to bust bones and then keep shooting. * Both you and your partner keep shooting * to anchor the bear depending on the terrain and brush..

REALLY - you recommend that your partner whos along to help out also SHOOT the Grizz Bear TOO ! Hmm! Whos going to tag it :?: Wait a minute - what if your partner doesn`t have a G BEAR draw-tag :?: would that not be ILLEGAL for him to help harvest the bear :?: Better maybe think a bit more about that before recommending ! :idea: RJ

RMK
07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Why on a grizzly bear are you NOT required to take any portions of meat? I cant find any info in the regs about that. It just states that you do not have to take and portions except for the hide. Also I was wondering if you need to leave a quarter with the testicles on or is just the testicles and penis on the hide good enough?

scoutlt1
07-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Why on a grizzly bear are you NOT required to take any portions of meat? I cant find any info in the regs about that. It just states that you do not have to take and portions except for the hide. Also I was wondering if you need to leave a quarter with the testicles on or is just the testicles and penis on the hide good enough?
You should also know it’s unlawful: 35. To kill wildlife (with the exception of grizzly
bear, cougar or a fur bearing animal other
than a black bear) and fail to remove from
the carcass the edible portions of the four
quarters and loins to the person’s normal
dwelling place or to a meat cutter or the
owner or operator of a cold storage plant.
A person who kills wildlife is exempted
from the requirement to remove the
edible portions if that person transfers
possession of the wildlife to a recipient
who complies with the requirement.
Edible portions do not include meat that
has been damaged and made inedible
by the method of taking. Of grizzly bear,
cougar or a furbearing animal other than
a black bear, the hide must be removed
to the person’s normal dwelling place or
to a meat cutter, the owner or operator
of a cold storage plant or to a taxidermist,
tanner or a fur trader. A person who kills
wildlife is exempted from the requirement
to remove the hide if that person
transfers possession of the wildlife to
another person who complies with the
requirement.

Page18 of the Regs

Read 'em :-)

RMK
07-03-2012, 10:25 PM
This just tells me I just need to take the hide and I did read this a few times and that's what I get from it. I was wondering why I do not have to take the quarters??? Is the meat no good from grizzlys or what's the reasoning behind this??

boxhitch
07-03-2012, 10:31 PM
General concencus is that the meat is crap. G Bear is a trophy hunt, plain and simple.

BiG Boar
07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
wow. At first I thought what a stupid question. But after thinking about it, I didn't have a mentor either when getting into hunting and the one animal I wanted was a grizzly. If you want to PM me I would be willing to help you out in any way I can. I have now hunted 50 days for grizzly and have turned down many bears. I'm not saying I'm a good grizzly hunter, but I have read a everything I can find on the subject, and absolutely love hunting them.

REMINGTON JIM
07-03-2012, 11:03 PM
I have shot 2 G Bears - left the meat in the bush - i was trophy hunting for the hide (completely legal ) BUT if you want take the meat home and eat it ! Do it ! Like boxhitch says a G Bear hunt is a trophy hunt and not a meat hunt ! We have moose- elk- deer-sheep-bison etc for that ! Good LUCK ! :smile: RJ

The Dude
07-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Google is your friend. This is spelled out clearly in the LEH Synopsis and the Regulations. Also many other places on the Intraweb.
Once you get the LEH for an animal, if you plan to hunt it, you are required to have a BC Hunting license and Species tag before you commence.

Page three, upper right.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/leh_12_13.pdf

http://www.ehow.com/list_6725156_bear-hunting-rules-bc_-canada.html

07-03-2012, 11:54 PM
To start with Read and lean the REGS front to back, your questions are answered there.

TAKE the meat ! And It's hide, skinning etc. for learning search you tube and google ..........

You can make some great hams, sausage etc. with it with a butcher that smoke hams. ........ make sure take buddy thats not your favorite dude with you .......... and ........ that can't run as fast as you }}}}} no I mean it !!

Have fun ............. hehe

CT

REMINGTON JIM
07-04-2012, 09:00 PM
To start with Read and lean the REGS front to back, your questions are answered there.

TAKE the meat ! And It's hide, skinning etc. for learning search you tube and google ..........

You can make some great hams, sausage etc. with it with a butcher that smoke hams. ........ make sure take buddy thats not your favorite dude with you .......... and ........ that can't run as fast as you }}}}} no I mean it !!

Have fun ............. hehe

CT

Just another OPINION ! thats what forums are for ! RIGHT GUYS ! :smile: RJ

elkhunter1
07-04-2012, 09:31 PM
No need to take meat us box cutter
skin out skul paws,

r106
07-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Just another OPINION ! thats what forums are for ! RIGHT GUYS ! :smile: RJ
Yup. X2

r106
07-04-2012, 10:02 PM
You don't have to take the meat with griz. If you want to try it take some. The advise of taking a hunting partner is great advise. But if you are the tag holder, then you are the shooter. If your partner is also shooting and has no tag it is illegal. But you are hunting dangerous game having a buddy is just safer for tracking, packing and protection. As for skinning try looking for youtube videos our even better go talk to your taxidermest