PDA

View Full Version : Duck Populations Hit All-Time Record

Marc
07-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Just got an email from Delta Waterfowl and it looks like there will be lots of birds in the air this fall! Add 000 to the end of each number to get an accurate view on how many birds there are in North America.

Breeding Survey estimates 48.6 million ducks; Mallards at highest level since 1999

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/pressrelease/120702-BPOP.gif

WaderGator
07-03-2012, 05:49 PM
well i guess we better kill a few to even out the numbers :mrgreen:

Marc
07-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Here is an email I just got from Delta waterfowl. Looks like we're going to have a bumper crop of birds!

"Wow! The good-old days for ducks are right now."
— Dr. Frank Rohwer, Delta Waterfowl's scientific director
Duck Populations Hit All-Time RecordBreeding Survey estimates 48.6 million ducks; Mallards at highest level since 1999

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/pressrelease/120702-BPOP.gifNorth America's total spring duck population is the highest ever recorded, according to the annual Waterfowl Breeding Population and Habitat Survey released today.

Conducted each May by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Canadian Wildlife Service, the survey puts the duck population at 48.6 million birds. That represents a 7 percent increase from 2011's record number of 45.6 million.

"This is the highest duck count since we started the survey in 1955," says Dr. Frank Rohwer, Delta Waterfowl's scientific director. "We had excellent wetland conditions in 2011, the second-highest pond count ever. So last year, we made a pile of ducks. This year, we're counting them."

Mallards, blue-winged teal, green-winged teal, gadwalls, canvasbacks, northern shovelers and scaup are all up significantly from last year, with both species of teal and shovelers at all-time highs. Blue-winged teal are estimated at 9.2 million, green-winged teal number more than 3.4 million and shovelers now top 5 million.

Mallard breeding numbers sit at 10.6 million, a 15 percent increase over 2011 and 40 percent over the long-term average.

Read the complete press release from Delta Waterfowl (http://visitor.benchmarkemail.com/c/l?u=142CCE2&e=1BBBBD&c=5CBF&t=0&l=3D6DB47&email=YVUE7VFfpLTkj%2FJAjKXdhErKL8EPH3kr)

Foxton Gundogs
07-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Great news Marc thanks for postig it

pnbrock
07-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Let's hope for greater limits!!!

lorneparker1
07-03-2012, 06:21 PM
I;d like to see the stats for the pacific flyway by itself, This super wet spring cant be helping.

Lorne

cautiously optimistic...

Crazy_Farmer
07-03-2012, 09:43 PM
They aint sissy upland grouse Lorne haha, waterfowl do love the water, unless their nests are a foot under water. Last year with all the high water and seepage from the river it was a stellar duck hatch with lots of new habitat normally not around. I honestly think this year will be a repeat of the past season which should make for one helluva season. But time will tell.

Plus who can say no to flooded corn and millet on opener. I know I cant.

lip_ripper00
07-03-2012, 10:06 PM
good to hear, mabye I can kill more than on duck this year and get my first goose!!! This water fowling thing is not as easy as it seems. What was great yesterday for my buddies is cold today when I go out. LOL I am beginning to see a lot of time and effort goes in to the the days when you "limit out". hopefully buddies new duck boat brings me luck, but their are a few farmers I want to talk to about using fields in the fall for geese.

Paulyman
07-03-2012, 10:07 PM
I guess I better do my part as a British Columbian resident.