PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep hunting in September?

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Most of the people that I've spoken to about hunting Stone's say that they go in August. Anyone have any insight into hunting them in September? The only difference that I can think of is the higher likelyhood of snow. I am planning on a Sheep and Goat hunt first week of September this year and any information on this would be much appreciated.

KB90
07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
August is popular because it's summer = nice weather, and people are getting ancy after no hunting all winter. You can get your sheep hunt out of the way early and continue on hunting other species as the season goes on.

I've gone in September and October, this year I am going for the opener.

You've already mentioned the main difference, which is weather. It also likely that there will not be as many people out chasing sheep as other species begin to open up.

gerrygoat
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Colder weather but fewer hunters, TSW and I went at the end of August a couple of years ago and had the whole area to ourselves, on that trip the weather was actually much nicer than it was at the beginning of the season

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the fast replies. That is good information I thought I was missing the boat on something and was starting to get worried that maybe there was a specific reason that people went in August. But hunting early so that they can hunt other species later makes sense.

lorneparker1
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
There will defintly be less legal rams in sept than august :)

srupp
07-03-2012, 12:56 PM
some get pushed way back or onto different mts...

srupp

Sitkaspruce
07-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I have gone both times and prefer Sept. We usually went in late Sept (20th) on wards. Less hunters, only been snowed out once, sheep and goats have a thick winter coat and if you do get snowed out, elk, caribou and moose are open. The weather can be the big question, but it has usually cooperated with us. The animals are also up feeding longer and might even be on their winter range.

Cheers

SS

sillybear
07-03-2012, 05:19 PM
We used to go around Sept. 1. Goats,Cariboo, Moose, G.B. bears were open(pre-LEH). Sheep and Goats would have better capes. But like lorneparker1 said some rams have already been taken.
The game will be moving around more with the cooler weather. We only got snowed out once. It was a 16 day fly in trip. I think we spent 12 days on the beach .Every time it cleared up and we would try and get up the mountain a blizzard would drive us off. We had an extra 4 days waiting for the weather to clear and the plane to pick us up.
Oh, and did mention no BUGS, the best part!! LOL

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks so much guys I am feeling much better about the timing now.

kayjayess
07-03-2012, 10:18 PM
We are planning two weeks Sept 5-23rd this year. I am looking forward to the September hunt.

If you plan a hunt for the opener often the rams are less spooky cause nobody has been shooting at them. Often you can locate a bachelor herd and be on them for opening morning - which happened for us last year. Having said that we were in a very remote (fly in) area and there was significant pressure.

moose2
07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
This a link to a thread I started on here last year. I hope it helps.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?70217-Stone-sheep-hunting-early-season-vs-late-season&highlight=sheep+summer+fall
Mike

WKCotts
07-04-2012, 06:28 PM
good to hear! i'm flying in sept 3rd :)

riflebuilder
07-05-2012, 04:59 AM
There is never aa bad time to hunt sheep. I prefere the late hunts cooler weather and as a bonus Caribou, goats and moose will be open. Good luck and have fun

archerylife
05-03-2017, 05:05 PM
hey guys just wondering if anyone knows if stone sheep have different habits in early to mid september vs. august? thanks

spear
05-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Very different ,
August in good weather look as high as you can, September if often more like deer hunting with focus on first and last light for spotting good rams. As the weather gets colder Rams start feeding more hours of the day as well.
Add to that crafty old rams will get sneaky after the hunting pressure of August

archerylife
05-04-2017, 12:28 PM
okay thanks, have hunted august a few times now. this year will be the first shot at a september hunt