PDA

View Full Version : What if you kill a bear with no tag

Blair
07-03-2012, 09:38 AM
We are going into an area with lots of grizzly this fall. While we have no intention of killing a bear, what is the correct procedure if you have to shoot for your own safety? We will be a long way from any communication (7-40) and probably 2 days' ride from the end of the road so we couldn't even think of contacting the CO until we are out of there - maybe a week or tend days later. Do you just leave it on the ground and walk away? That would seem a shame.

BiG Boar
07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
SSS. Or you better have bite marks....

thehammer
07-03-2012, 09:43 AM
The key to your question is the definition of "for your own safety" which can vary greatly from person to person. Anyway this question has been debated in previous threads with no real answer.

shottyshooter
07-03-2012, 09:54 AM
My understanding is that you report it to the CO's asap and just leave it there. If you are carrying it out and the call hasn't been made it is way too easy to be accused of poaching. CYA

Hank Hunter
07-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Has been debated over and over, talk to the C.O. Why even ask here ?

finngun
07-03-2012, 10:01 AM
texas hearth shot for 300 meters winni the pooh is not gonna cut..:shock: unless co is brother of your..

steel_ram
07-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Report it as soon as you can to RAPP. ie. before someone else does. It better not be because the bear looked at you funny. CO's treat self reporters in a different light as those that don't. (from the regs.)

Everett
07-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Leave it don't touch it and report it as soon as you are able. Had to shoot a cougar in self defense a couple years ago. Thats what I did and it was no problem 10 min conversation on the phone with a CO.

bandit
07-03-2012, 10:29 AM
In Africa the authorities only accept self defense if an animal is aggressively charging and is less than 10 metres away when you pull the trigger. So if every you needed only one shot to count, make sure you save it for then.

In BC there is no such reg about specific distance to my knowledge. However the regs say if you cant call a CO then write it on your license - this should cover you in the event of someone calling it in before you are able to.

Tenacious Billy
07-03-2012, 10:44 AM
I definitely wouldn't be asking on a public forum........

Darksith
07-03-2012, 01:42 PM
as said above "you own safety" aka self defense is the key to this issue. Rather than thinking about what happens if you have to do that, you should educate yourself on G bear behavior, and read some of the stories from people who have had bear encounters. Just cause a bear lays claim to your dead animal doesn't mean you can shoot it, just because a bear fake charges at 100 yds doesnt mean your safety is in jeapordy. You better be well aquainted with bear behavior and don't shoot a bear unless its basically on top of you. Sounds like you lack experience in bear country, so you better start educating yourself to make up for it. Odds are you won't have an issue, you only hear of the few and far between encounters that go wrong, not the 1000's of encounters that have no drama in them. If you do shoot a grizz, you better hike your ass out asap and call a CO, if you are flying in you should have a sat phone with you anyway. If you have a G bear on the ground and it doesn't have a kill very close to you the CO's are probably gonna slap you, plain and simple and there are easily 1000's of people/g bear encounters every year so don't pull that trigger unless you can smell its breath

igojuone
07-03-2012, 02:05 PM

WTF, don't ask a simple question? Why not ask, nobodies shot anything yet. Some HBC members are so paranoid I'm surprised they even leave the house.

.330 Dakota
07-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Carefull...I suggested the SSS method once on here and got a nasty note from a Mod, about promoting illegal activity,,,wow eh
When you consider some of the yo-yo's on here, that really floored me

igojuone
07-03-2012, 02:10 PM
as said above "you own safety" aka self defense is the key to this issue. Rather than thinking about what happens if you have to do that, you should educate yourself on G bear behavior, and read some of the stories from people who have had bear encounters. Just cause a bear lays claim to your dead animal doesn't mean you can shoot it, just because a bear fake charges at 100 yds doesnt mean your safety is in jeapordy. You better be well aquainted with bear behavior and don't shoot a bear unless its basically on top of you. Sounds like you lack experience in bear country, so you better start educating yourself to make up for it. Odds are you won't have an issue, you only hear of the few and far between encounters that go wrong, not the 1000's of encounters that have no drama in them. If you do shoot a grizz, you better hike your ass out asap and call a CO, if you are flying in you should have a sat phone with you anyway. If you have a G bear on the ground and it doesn't have a kill very close to you the CO's are probably gonna slap you, plain and simple and there are easily 1000's of people/g bear encounters every year so don't pull that trigger unless you can smell its breath

So if I'm on a 2 week hunt and day one I shoot a Grizzly I'm suppose to back up and report it? Not a chance, when I exit the bush I'll do what I have to then and a satellite phone because I don't have cell service, get real.

alexboyprin
07-03-2012, 02:10 PM

Sorry but i must intervene here. I value my life very much. (not for me, but i am very useful to my wife and kids). I would never wait until i smell the breath of a grizzly bear on me before shooting him. in doubt and facing agressive behavior from the bear...he is dead meat! If i get charge for this, so be it, but i would think it is stupid to charge a human being from protecting himself from an animal.

bye

Tenacious Billy
07-03-2012, 02:27 PM
WTF, don't ask a simple question? Why not ask, nobodies shot anything yet. Some HBC members are so paranoid I'm surprised they even leave the house.

That was said a little tongue and cheek....I guess I should have put a little winking, smiley face at the end of my post to convey my sarcasm....

Darksith
07-03-2012, 02:30 PM
lol, if you go to a fly in hunt, and you don't take a sat phone your kinda crazy. What happens if you get hurt? Even if your with friends, you could break your leg and an infection could set in while your waiting for your plane to come back which could be 2 weeks away, then at best you lose your leg, worst your dead, but hey who needs a sat phone. You know you can rent them...

A bear will bluff charge usually unless you suprise the shit outta it or its protecting a kill. So maybe smell its breath was an exaggeration, but honestly if its not within 10 yards your pulling the trigger too quickly. Especially if there are 2 or 3 of you. By yourself might warrant pulling the trigger at an overly aggressive bear at 20 yards.

The comments from above sounds like peeps that have never really spent much time in bear country

laredo318
07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Ensure holes are in the front of the bear.

swamper
07-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Nothing wrong with asking on a public forum. I'ts a valid question and some of us here may have had to go through this and can share their experiences. Like the old saying goes, "there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers."

laredo318
07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Nothing wrong with asking on a public forum. I'ts a valid question and some of us here may have had to go through this and can share their experiences. Like the old saying goes, "there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers."

That could also be extended to some of the negative responses that appear on some of these threads.
Someone asks a question. They may not have the 75 years of hunting experience that a lot of the hunters have on here. They may not have experienced everything there is to experience in our great outdoor play area.
Sorry that some on here are so negative.

07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
These threads are always fun.
shoot bear, i like Laredo318's bit too. Then call CO. Adding mythical complications to it and the what if's. We could go on forever. If your life is in trouble shoot the bear, then report it as soo as you can. That is the legal way to do it. The CO's should have no problem identifying where I would have been standing because the flys would still be buzzing on my crappy pants! which woud be to the immediate left of an empty case

REMINGTON JIM
07-03-2012, 02:42 PM

X2 you are 100% correct Swamper - also if you don't like the question or thread or post don't respond to it if you haven't got anything GOOD or HELPFULL to say ! RJ

thehammer
07-03-2012, 02:50 PM
"That could also be extended to some of the negative responses that appear on some of these threads.
Someone asks a question. They may not have the 75 years of hunting experience that a lot of the hunters have on here. They may not have experienced everything there is to experience in our great outdoor play area.
Sorry that some on here are so negative. "

Thats an understatement, one wrong word and your crapped on!

moosinaround
07-03-2012, 03:01 PM
I have answered threads like this one before. In 25+ years of being in the bush, from campsites to wilderness settings, and growing up in a rural community, I have seen 1 bear shot in self defence. Learning bear behaviour is a very good tool in protecting yourself out in the bush. Asking questions is a very good way to open up communication and discussion! So, ask away. If it was me, and I have stood down bear bluff charges, with a 12ga at hand, and several times with just mace, would kill the charging bear if it is in my uncomfort zone, then report it at the end of my trip back in civilization. Take pics of where your were when you got charged, where the bear was, and what the circumstances of the charge were. All this is to collaborate your story, and will be treated as evidence both for you and the crown. Everyone's comfort level with wild critters which can kill you are totally different, and education is your best first defence, a 450 marlin or 12 ga is next!!! Up front and honest is the best policy for you if this happens, and you are not the only set of eyes out there, even in a fly in situation.
HBC saints remember, are folks who never do or say anything wrong. There are some pretty perfect folks who post on this site, so trying to hold yourself to their esteem will be practically impossible, so do not even try! Go out into the BC woods and have fun, be safe, plan for possible issues, arm yourself with knowledge, and for gods sake take a sat phone or SPOT with you so your loved ones, and search and rescue will be able to find and help you if need be!
Moosin

Tikka270
07-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Is this site not for hunters of ALL experience levels to share or gain knowledge from one another? Experience has to start somewhere one should not be getting ripped for asking a simple question.

Jeff88
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM

why not
thats what this site is for ...

Tenacious Billy
07-03-2012, 03:20 PM
why not
thats what this site is for ...

I was saying that because the OPs original question always incites repsonses about SSS etc., etc and guys end up arguing about what should be done. As i mentioned in my 2nd post, which you obviously never read, it was said tongue in cheek and I neglected to include the "winking smiley face"......my apologies. ;)

hunter1947
07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
If you have to kill a Griz or black with no tag and it is self defense you would not be charged for defending yourself ,my thoughts are that I would think you will have to head on out after shooting ether bear and report the kill ASAP..

steel_ram
07-03-2012, 04:17 PM
You have the right to defend your life against anything, but be prepared to be judged afterwards. Bears bluff charge, they check out campsites as do many mountain ceatures not accustomed to man.
If the worst happens, take pic's, write down what happened, and report ASAP. You may not be the only person in the valley. You definately want to be the first to report it.

Moose Guide
07-03-2012, 04:35 PM
I had to kill a grizz in self defense and I know of atleast 3 other incidents locally where a charging grizz was shot. In every instance the hunter was found to be innocent of any wrong doing, that said you must not touch the bear, not a tooth nor a claw or you will be charged with poaching(thats what the CO told me when I asked if I could keep a claw after he investigated) Write it on your license that you intend to self report if you can't immediately.

Jelvis
07-03-2012, 04:52 PM
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6
Jelly ( Big Bear) Bluffs .. It was just me and my .338 .. Grizzlies will Bluff Charge .. Grizzlies like to charge ..
How do you stop a grizzly from charging? ----------------------------------------Take away his Credit Card
lol

yukon john
07-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I also killed a griz in self defence at 15 ft. I took a quick video on my camera describing the situation and showing exactly what happend. I took the hide, caped it out and salted it. Then I called the co and when I got in to town I dropped of the hide and showed him the video. He asked me some questions and I was on my way. I will say this though, as the results are entirely up to the co I would/did go to a northern co as opposed to one in Surrey etc.

.330 Dakota
07-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Is this site not for hunters of ALL experience levels to share or gain knowledge from one another? Experience has to start somewhere one should not be getting ripped for asking a simple question.

Well said, I remember my 1st post when I asked for load data for my Dakota,,,I mentioned that it had a 20 inch barrel and the fun started,,,typical gong show until Bartell mentioned that I might be on to something,,in that I ended up with a light mountain rifle with still more punch than the 338wm which was my exact goal to start with.Until he posted I was sorry I asked and actually wondered why I joined this site.
If a guy asks a question and hangs them out there,,,we should be respectfull in answering.
A little humor is okay but scoffing will lose you members

500grhollowpoint
07-03-2012, 06:07 PM
These threads always make me laugh. Here's what I know, and it 'aint much.

1- the odds of you being charged by a bear are less that 1%. Odds are you won't even see one. You have a better chance of falling in a hole and dying.

2- If you go into bear country, clear your head of all this garbage and go through a few scenarios in your head and decide what your level of comfort is and at what point you would shoot a bear.

3- If you shoot a bear, report it. I would bet money the CO does not want to establish your actual level of danger, but wether you felt you were in danger. Don't listen to the know it all's on here-if you feel your life is in danger-shoot.

4- You wouldn't hesitate to shoot a crackhead that was coming at you with a knife in the parking lot-and you wouldn't go to jail for it. What would make you think you would get in trouble if you felt your life was in danger and you shot a bear?

rcar
07-03-2012, 06:10 PM
A few good points mentioned here. There have been members here attacked by Grizz so it can happen and I for one wouldn't hesitate making a kill shot on a charging Grizz once it reaches 20yds. Although it is likely just a bluff I am not willing to take the chance. If I am able to get off a warning shot at 80yds I would but closer than that I am taking no chances. Keep in mind this is a very unlikely event if you do your due diligence on the nature and habits of Grizz before venturing out.

That being said like anything that is outside the regs, you only have one play. Call the CO or RAPP ASAP and report it. If possible I would use a smart phone/video if at all possible to document the site, but the only answer to your question is make the call. Where I am not sure of the regs is if you are obligated to immediately pack up and make the call as soon as possible or if you are legally able to finish your hunt and report it when you get back to civilization.

jonz
07-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I carry a SPOT messenger, they have the ability now to send a 45 character text message via sattelite. BTW there is nothing wrong with asking for opinions on this forum regardless of some of these ridiculous replies. If you are threatened by a grizzly shoot it ask questions later.

lightmag
07-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Sorry but i must intervene here. I value my life very much. (not for me, but i am very useful to my wife and kids). I would never wait until i smell the breath of a grizzly bear on me before shooting him. in doubt and facing agressive behavior from the bear...he is dead meat! If i get charge for this, so be it, but i would think it is stupid to charge a human being from protecting himself from an animal.

bye

i agree, its me, not the bear, if i feel my life/physical saftey is GREAT danger, BANG! better a dead grizz then a dead me or disfigured me!! be smart, be reasonable, be ready!! id rather deal with a CO any day then my family dealing with my funeral????

And i would NOT be cutting my trip short to call a CO??? no way they would come out ASAP anyways, ill call them as soon as PRACTICABLE, lik ewhen i have cell service on my way home after my hunt.

if your acting in good faith and can reasonably explain your actions, you have nothing to worry about, it's all common sense.. mind you there seems to be a lot of that lacking in out population these days.....

warnniklz
07-03-2012, 08:16 PM
If you see a bear and it makes you nervous, there's probably a really good chance youhave time to sail a round over it's head.

Then go from there

NaStY
07-03-2012, 08:36 PM

Bad advice and illegal

Allen50
07-03-2012, 08:38 PM
carry a bear tag, one black bear, and one grizz tag,,, afew buck on a tag, gives you a bit of safe zone, just tag the bear, but shooting it for your saftey is your choise as long as you prove it,,,,,good luck..

BigfishCanada
07-03-2012, 09:12 PM
I dont care what the F*** it is, a cougar, crack head,,,,,if you charge me, your getting shot. Ill deal with the follow up at that moment in time. Document what happened, be honest to yourself, and thats all you can do.

elker
07-03-2012, 11:04 PM
write what happened on a paper with your personal information in it. put that paper in a Ziploc. attach that Ziploc to the dead grizzly. continue hunting until you are done.

report to co later

Downunder hunter
07-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Some good info in here for an international hunter like myself that hasn't had any dealings with bears & I only know a hand full of blokes who have themselves though generally, they were on a hunt & had a tag with the end result being a dead bear!

I was hoping to ask some questions on what the chances were of being 'attacked' or atleast charged by a bear & it would seem the chances are pretty slim, I don't like asking stupid questions (didn't seem stupid to me but I have no experience in these dealings) so it's handy to have a few blokes here giving some advice/opinions & facts on it all. Thanks ;-)

RiverOtter
07-04-2012, 06:14 AM
If you see a bear and it makes you nervous, there's probably a really good chance youhave time to sail a round over it's head.

Then go from there

Everyone has their own opinion on "warning shots", but the fact is bears don't know bullets can actually kill until they're dead, and that is one less round that could potentially save your life if it came to it. If talking to the bear in a low voice while slowly backing away is not enough to remove all doubt that your human and not a threat, then a bullet smacking the ground behind it likely isn't gonna help your case either.

I've shot exactly one bear that I am positive was gonna follow through on its charge, but being it was a black and I had a tag, I simply ended his career and carried him home.....

Philcott
07-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Some good info in here for an international hunter like myself that hasn't had any dealings with bears & I only know a hand full of blokes who have themselves though generally, they were on a hunt & had a tag with the end result being a dead bear!

I was hoping to ask some questions on what the chances were of being 'attacked' or atleast charged by a bear & it would seem the chances are pretty slim, I don't like asking stupid questions (didn't seem stupid to me but I have no experience in these dealings) so it's handy to have a few blokes here giving some advice/opinions & facts on it all. Thanks ;-)

Downunder,

Your chances are quite slim and I would wager a guess most of the guys on here have not had a close encounter, but it could happen. There are areas in the province that have larger bear populations than others and if you hunt there your chances are increased. Also there are areas where the bears seem to have figured out if there is a rifle shot there is a good chance that a free meal will be waiting for them if they go to where the shot came from. In all areas of the province you should approach a kill (especially if returning to it hours after the kill) with caution. Make noise, pay attention and keep your eyes and ears open.

I am also of the belief (never had to yet) that I'll take my chance with the CO if I feel my life threatened by an animal in the wild. Document what happened, I like the writing on the licence idea and the leaving a note on the dead bear idea and notify as soon as you are able. I personally would not cut short my hunt (if way back in the woods) but make contact upon returning with the CO.

steel_ram
07-04-2012, 06:59 AM
I totally agree you have to act soon enough to protect your life, but if one is going to let bullets fly outside of 50yds, then perhaps they shouldn't be in Grizzly country.

shottyshooter
07-04-2012, 10:48 AM
LOL! HBC has endless entertainment value...

Even trained (combat) shooters would probably only have enough time to fire center of mass in an actual attack. If you have time to do anything else just cover the threat with your sites and evade by slowly backing away and making noise - as mentioned. I imagine the only effective warning shot on a Grizz would be to bounce one off of his forehead or take off his ear! Remember - always save the last shot for yourself.

emerson
07-04-2012, 01:51 PM
We are going into an area with lots of grizzly this fall. While we have no intention of killing a bear, what is the correct procedure if you have to shoot for your own safety? We will be a long way from any communication (7-40) and probably 2 days' ride from the end of the road so we couldn't even think of contacting the CO until we are out of there - maybe a week or tend days later. Do you just leave it on the ground and walk away? That would seem a shame.
If you have to ask....

finngun
07-04-2012, 02:20 PM
somebody says shovel and shut up...what doggy dosen't know that doggy dosen't bark..:redface:

Blair
07-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Why not? Like I said, I have absolutely no intention of killing one. But if he is coming at me, and close, of course I would pull the trigger. I was just wondering what would be the best course of action in the very unlikely event that it happens. I have plenty of bear encouters throughout my life. Never had a problem. Never shot one. But I am not so stupid to think that if I put a large animal down in grizzly country, and then produce a steaming gut pile, there is a finite chance that a grizzly would smell it come to see what's up. And it could develop into a "problem".
Thanks to the many who offered constructive, helpful responses.

Darksith
07-04-2012, 03:04 PM
I totally agree you have to act soon enough to protect your life, but if one is going to let bullets fly outside of 50yds, then perhaps they shouldn't be in Grizzly country.
pretty much sums it up, personally at 50 yards Im still waving my arms, making myself as big as possible and yelling. somewhere around 30 yards Im starting to point my rifle at the bear.

scoutlt1
07-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Blair....don't take this the wrong way. I think websites such as this one offer a great resource of information from people who have TONS of experience in hunting, fishing, outdoor activities, etc. And I think it's always a good idea if someone has a question to "throw it out there" (sometimes at their own peril :-) ) to see what people think.
My own feeling however, when it comes to asking questions that regard issues that involve potential ticketing, fines, or worse....it would be best to ask those that enforce the law. An e-mail, followed up by a phone call to the office that is charge of the area you are heading to, asking the question that you did, would provide a much more "valuable" answer than you will find on here. The people that enforce the laws are the ones you want the answers from. The ones that really matter anyhow. Great opinions, and many facts can be received on a website, but your "defense" of "well a guy on HBC said it was ok to ____" will not be very helpful in a court of law. CO's, and those who work for Fish and Wildlife, are there to answer your questions, and clarify anything you may be unsure about (gawd knows though that can be confusing sometimes).
Again, I don't mean to come across like it's not a good idea to post questions or look for opinions on here....as I said I love reading a lot of the posts on here....I just think that when you venture into an area that bears (no pun intended) potential legal ramifications, it's best to check with the appropriate authorities.....in my opinion of course...

.330 Dakota
07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Ya know, I dont have a lot of griz experience to share,,but I have come face to face with griz on 2 separate occasions. Both times the bear was under 50 yards, and once I had a 375 H&H in my hand and the other time I had a 330 Dakota with me. Even so, when I 1st saw them that close I thought uh-oh,,,but both bears were just curious and not aggressive at all. I wonder if some guys on here tend to overstate the aggressive nature of the bear? Dont get me wrong,,they deserve a healthy respect for sure,,,but have they earned the "holy shit theres a bear we better kill it attitude" ?
I remember an encounter with a black bear where I coud have reached out and petted it (stepped around a blowdown and there he was),,,and it was okay with it,,,although I have seen aggressive behavour from other blacks up close.

steel_ram
07-04-2012, 04:42 PM
It's fare enough to ask what if but the reality is one will react how they react in an unexpected life threatening situation. You can't plan on, or pre-set your reaction based on criteria given to you by forum members or the authorities. You'll do what you deem necessary at the moment, and deal with answering for it later. You can't plan for these things.

scoutlt1
07-04-2012, 04:47 PM
It's fare enough to ask what if but the reality is one will react how they react in an unexpected life threatening situation. You can't plan on, or pre-set your reaction based on criteria given to you by forum members or the authorities. You'll do what you deem necessary at the moment, and deal with answering for it later. You can't plan for these things.

Good point! I don't think that if a big pile of angry hair, teeth, and claws was heading my way at a hundred miles an hourI would be thinking...."what did I read on HBC???"...or "what did that CO say again??" :-)

BCBRAD
07-04-2012, 05:32 PM
With all this talk on what to do , legality's and all, will get you mauled/killed. As long as you are in control of the situation hold off , once that's gone, shoot and shoot well. And , remember the old sayin' "loose lips sink ships".

Mulehahn
07-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Have to agree, people on here can give you advice, a CO can tell you the legal requirments, but at the end of the day its up to you. If you feel that you had no choice and had to drop a bear, and feel that no way in hell am I going to miss out on my hunt then so be it. Or if it frays your nerves so bad you head down , then thats your call. Its up to you!!! I have a question about using a spot though. Don't the new spots give you a few options in the message you send out, or as someone else says you can now send a short text. If you let your family or friend know what happened could they contact a CO?