PDA

View Full Version : late season moose

BearStump
07-02-2012, 09:28 PM
hey guys. I got my leh for november moose in 5-2b. I'm excited as hell and cant wait. we've hunted the area in the past for deer , always succesfully. hunting moose in the rut is one thing, but does anyone have any tips for how to hunt swamp donkeys in november when.....I think they'll be resting and feeding while recovering from the rut. do they still respond to calling at that time of year? or do i just have to push bush and hope for the best?

.330 Dakota
07-02-2012, 09:30 PM
They usually are up high starting to nibble the brouse,,,I assume you hunted deer out Maze Lake area,,,good spot for moose too but farther in,,,and behind Timothy in the Hache

ElliotMoose
07-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Hunting moose in November is a bit of a crap shoot. When is your draw for? I find that the first two weeks of November are poor moose hunting and would rather be out hunting deer. This is the end of the rut, and the bulls will be hung up back in the thick timber recovering and may not move from a small area for weeks. Not very much going on vocally at this time either. If I was to do any calling, it would be soft cow calls in hopes that a love sick younger bull will still be desperate enough to come in.

My best luck has been in the second half of November, just as the snow starts to pile on. This tells the animals that winter's coming, and it's time to put on some weight before food becomes scarce. At this time I find they travel alot more, and it's not uncommon to see 6 or 7 moose in a cut at a time. They really like to munch on the willows at that time, and I have seen numerous moose just on the edge of hay meadows munching on the willows

BearStump
07-04-2012, 03:22 PM
draw is for nov. 1st to 15th. I guess I'll have to get away from the roads and find some good feed areas if I want a bull at this time of year.

ElliotMoose
07-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Don't be discouraged, we have still taken moose in those first couple weeks. If you have time, yes get off the roads and do some walking. Try to google earth some hay meadows hidden from the road. If you are pressed for time, cover some ground in hopes to find one on the move! Good luck

moose2
07-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Try and find snow (if its not every where) and find sign. Once you find good sign go on foot and follow some fresh tracks. They will lead you to feeding areas and more moose sign. A fresh pine rub is a great indication that a bull is using the area. Timber hunting in large aspen stands can be very effective this time of year. The moose feel comfortable in the timber and the bulls can be seen together this time of year. Dark moose can be seen really easy on snow and most aspen stands offer great visibility in the winter. If you jump one in the aspens make sure to give a quick moose grunt he will probably stop to look, and then the work begins. If your bull can't be reached by a machine or truck, quarters can be drug out on tarps or sleds fairly easy when snow conditions allow it. November can offer great moose hunting if you are willing to work a bit and hunt the timber.
Good luck with your draw.
Mike

silvertipp
07-06-2012, 06:01 PM
This is a good draw if you get the snow,Timothy mnt ,bradley creek lots of good areas around

BearStump
07-06-2012, 11:58 PM
thanx for the tips guys, I'll google earth the crap outa the area and see what kind of stuff i can find off the beaten path. I really want a moose this year, ive never actually shot one myself. I've been there for a couple kills but I want my own this year.