PDA

View Full Version : Tree Stands

Ironball
07-02-2012, 04:54 PM
I would like to know what one should be looking for when purchasing a tree stand. The pro and cons like weight , set up, self climbers vs a fixed type ect. What is the best way to set up a fixed type tree?

Thanx,

kevin

pnbrock
07-02-2012, 05:07 PM
i myself like the self climbers,bought a summit off another member.very happy and comfort is better than i would have imagined.

Ron.C
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
I like fixed stands that I can leave in position. Sure, they are more likely to be stolen but I can have several set up in different areas and slip into them in the dark without making a peep. The down side is you'll need enough treesteps for each. That can add $$$$ in a hurry unless you get them in bulk or while on sale. I also have a ladder stand that is cumbersome but extremely comfortable. Keep an eye at walmart and cabelas. They put stands on sale quite a bit and you can pick up a few stands for a great price. Having said all that, I am on the hunt for a self climber to add to my collection. I could have used one this year for bear season.

Whatever brand you buy, inspect it often to make sure it is safe and nothing is loose or damaged. And take some time to practice setting it up. Lots of little tricks to getting one up safe and easy.

todbartell
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
I have a fixed ladder stand 16'. Heavy and not easily moved. Comfortable though, could easily fall asleep up there :razz:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Sept1008001.jpg

I'll be picking up a climber this fall and maybe a couple fixed ones with steps.

.330 Dakota
07-02-2012, 09:28 PM
I have 2 climbers and 2 ladder types. The climbers are aluminum and are very light. They fold up with backpack straps on them and sit on a quad rack very nicely. The ladders are bulky/heavy and a general pain iin the ass. Also the self climbers work really well climbing and are quite comfortable and safe and your height is your choice..JMHO

Ambush
07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Where and how you hunt will dictate your choice. I have three climbers and two [maybe three] hang ons.

One hang-on is big and quite heavy, but it gets put in place near the end of August and stays there untill the end of season. Comfy, lot's of room, easy and quiet in and out.

One hang-on is very light. If it's a spot I'm going to hunt for a few days, but it's farther back, I can pack it in and use it when the time is right. Smaller platform, but it's mostly a morning and/or evening thing.

One bulky climber that is very comfortable and easy to climb with. Great for a whole day sit closer to the truck where pre-scouting a treestand sight wasn't handy. Pick a spot and up you go. Adjust your height to suit or move to another tree quickly if that one wasn't quite right.

One very light weight climber for bush whacking. Lone Wolf, hand climber, the one I'd keep if I could only own one. Large platform, very leight, very quiet, very packable and fast up the tree.

If you are only going to have one tree stand, get a climber. If you want the fast in/out that a hang-on can give you [once it's in place] then buy some screw in pegs and hang your climber. Best of both worlds.

Once you see how much more you can see by getting 20-30 feet up a tree, you'll be amazed!

Johnny G1
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
ZXSXSDASSSSSSsssdxc

Johnny G1
07-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Friggin pc is gone nuts???????????

longstonec
07-02-2012, 10:36 PM
get a nice chair folding chair and put it in a tree.

bugler
07-04-2012, 09:49 PM
I like hang on because you don't have to find a branchless tree (or alternatively cut all the lower branches off). More choice of trees. More versatile and packable then the other types.

cariboobill
07-05-2012, 07:06 AM
I bought a Summit climber 5 years ago and have never looked back. It is light and easy to pack a couple km's into a good spot. I have shot with a crossbow and a rifle from the stand and no issues. I also have a easy to get in and out of harness that fits under my cloths.

CB