PDA

View Full Version : Pitlamping

DropTines
11-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Ok, this mornin' I skip the day of school to go hunting with my dad and a family friend, we get up at 5, and leave at about 5:45, head up to a spot my dad right awayed a few years back, on our way up we see a vehicle way across the canyon, we watch it for a bit to see where he turns still dark out) then a light shined out onto the cutblock all over the block then at us and they turn it off and burn away, no wonder we dont see anything in the cut blocks where you'd think they'd be, we turned off on a road, now shooting light, and pass a vehicle and we got a license plate number, but I'm not quite sure if it was these people because there were 5 others up on the mountain and the vehicle we got a license plate number from was a smaller pickup and we thought the truck we seen pitlamping was a bit bigger so I am not to sure what to do!
I don' know if this post is easy to understand or not but I just thought I'd throw it out there!
________
Honda Cd175 Specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CD175)

Steeleco
11-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Be sure to pass this info along to your local Co's I'm sure they'll be interested.

Jagermeister
11-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Be sure to pass this info along to your local Co's I'm sure they'll be interested.
I concur with Steeleco.

WhitetailKilla
11-10-2006, 12:54 PM
id run it by the co's

Hank Hunter
11-10-2006, 01:06 PM
I agree, mention it to the co but unless you know for sure the license plate belongs to the poachers I would be careful about blaming innocent hunters.

sako7mm
11-10-2006, 01:21 PM
I agree, mention it to the co but unless you know for sure the license plate belongs to the poachers I would be careful about blaming innocent hunters.

If they are innocent hunters than they have nothing to be afraid of, if the CO's talk to them they may even be able to provide more information.

Pass it on the CO's if nothing else they may be able to use the information.

DropTines
11-10-2006, 03:41 PM
allrighty thanks guys
________
FORD PRODIGY (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Prodigy)

Byson
11-10-2006, 08:01 PM
they could of been out in the bush early just like you 2hours before daylight i don't think its a crime to look at a cut block with a light, it isnt a crime intill someone pulls the trigger i would do nothing and keep going

Mckinney Creek Adventures
11-10-2006, 08:09 PM
they could of been out in the bush early just like you 2hours before daylight i don't think its a crime to look at a cut block with a light, it isnt a crime intill someone pulls the trigger i would do nothing and keep going

I believe that it is illegal to be doing that if firearms are in the vehicle. No doubt this was slob poachers out looking for an easy kill, not hunters checking things out before first light.

Will
11-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Exactly as suggested..take a Plate # and Report them.
If Innocent then No harm done...if Guilty a "Call" from a CO may be just the scare they need to smarten up:|

With the Limited # of CO's out and about they really need our Help to monitor the wrongdoers so WE can continue to enjoy our Sport8)

bsa30-06
11-10-2006, 08:39 PM
I'd let the co's now what you saw, if nothing else it might get them to put a co in the area and if they try it again they may be caught.With the limited number of co's they can use all the help they can get and i would like to think that they would atleast check the area out and see if they can catch them doing it again.

DropTines
11-10-2006, 10:15 PM
mhmm, but if they were hunters just checking things out before light, then why did they burn away at like 90 when they saw us?

30-06
11-10-2006, 10:22 PM
could havebeen pitlampers..it has been dark for about 40 min now..still drivein outta the bush just get on to the main road into tulameen..and right on the side of the road with there lights pointed into the private property farmers feilds there are these 2 guys sittin in a truck.with it running..high beams on.both covered in camo.just sitting there staring at the deer..

ryanb
11-11-2006, 12:07 AM
So just because they were looking at the deer in the field with their headlights makes them a poacher or pitt-lamper? I carry a spotlight often when hunting , mostly for if I have an animal down and darkness comes. I will also use it to have a look at a buck if I see one along the road in the dark. I'm not going to drive right by a big buck without even taking a look just because it's dark...

scoot
11-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Wow wow wow, slow down there 30-06. I would not jump to conclusion unless the signs are there. Heck, just two weeks ago, after sundown I spent probably 30 min looking at deer with the headlights in a farmers field. I still like to believe that the large majority of people are honest abiding citizens. Granted it is a pathetic way to hunt, don't get me wrong.

3kills
11-11-2006, 09:50 AM
30-06 i dont think they are pit lampers lots of time i have been comin back from hunting go past a field at a dark and see deer so i turn the head lights on to see them....animal watchin is not pitlamping...what if those two guys werent wearing camo and werent hunters at all???

Will
11-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Getting off track me thinks.....:|
Big difference headlighting a field on the way home from a trip or whatever ? There are Plenty of Local fields around town here that MANY people stop at to Look at the Deer......they are not ALL poachers, most aren't even hunters.
Driving through cutblocks with a Spotlight just before daybreak certainly may arise suspicion however.......
Innocent intentions or not why do something you know may generate suspicion ?
Like suggested take a description and or plate number of Anyone you feel may be up to no good.....let the CO's sort it out.

If you want to go out "Spotlighting" deer in the Dark.......make sure you don't have a Firearm with you....take a camera....much less to explain should someone report you:wink:

DropTines
11-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Like I said we could see where the vehicle had been turning around most of the night, with the bit of fresh snow from the night before
________
Mazda R100 History (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_R100)

30-06
11-11-2006, 03:17 PM
ya but when there wearing camo,,at night,high beams on,,on the las day of hunting seasonn..u have to be suspicious ..im not sayin there pitlampers but u would have to wonder

DropTines
11-11-2006, 06:15 PM
yea maybe not, maybe their doing some post season scouting
________
Liability Insurance Forums (http://www.insurance-forums.org/liability-insurance/)

Beaverhunter
11-11-2006, 06:41 PM
I don't think it is wrong to shine a light on an anima when it is dark unless you see them shoot something I wouldn't say anything.

30-06
11-11-2006, 06:42 PM
so jonas u doin any region 3 trips?

mrdoog
11-11-2006, 06:54 PM
I would certainly report the generalities of the situation to the COs.
Unless I was sure that the plate number I saw was the vehicle in question, I wouldn't mention it.

QnsCowboy
11-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Report it to the CO's for "Info"...give them the plate number, with the explanation you are not 100%!! This opens a report...Should further reports/complaints come to the CO's with the same L.P., then they have something to look into...my two cents worth....:)

Craig

The Hermit
11-12-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure about the law here in BC but in Ontario, if you have guns in the vehicle then it is illegal to have a spot light in the vehicle. If caught you are automatically deemed to be poaching... seems pretty obvious to me what was going on! Report it!

So how many guys unload your guns after legal shooting hour for the walk back to camp/truck? I do because I think that if your gun is loaded the CO will deem you to be hunting after legal hours!

Radar
11-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't pass along the plate # unless I was 100% sure it was the vehicle shining the light into the cut.
I would report what I was 100% sure of "Vehicle shining light into cut block"

DropTines
11-13-2006, 08:10 AM
No trips to region 3
________
Lincoln mark viii history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Lincoln_Mark_VIII)

30-06
11-13-2006, 08:16 AM
how gay...what u do for the year now

Will
11-13-2006, 09:39 AM
So how many guys unload your guns after legal shooting hour for the walk back to camp/truck? I do because I think that if your gun is loaded the CO will deem you to be hunting after legal hours!
Good point you bring up Hermit...
However I always have my "longarm" loaded till I return to my Vehicle/or camp. Nothing wrong with carrying a Loaded firearm here in BC for "Protection" purposes, during a Hunting season or not 8)

3kills
11-13-2006, 09:50 AM
agree will u never know whats waitin for u around the next tree...would suck if u come around the tree and there is a bear or a cougar and u have to reload ur gun....

Will
11-13-2006, 09:52 AM
agree will u never know whats waitin for u around the next tree...would suck if u come around the tree and there is a bear or a cougar and u have to reload ur gun....
Plenty of 2 legged Samsquatches out there too...........:lol: