PDA

View Full Version : moose call

rutskin
07-02-2012, 02:22 AM
so ive bin doin some research on moose calls, just kinda wondering when to use a cow call versus a bull call. I know im a a rook just wonderin which would be the best durin late sept beginning of oct. I have a bull draw in 7- 28. Thanks

boxhitch
07-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Tough to know the right timing
you can never go wrong with a cow call, it gets their attention. teh puzzle is how will he react ?
Depending on the mood of the day, the bulls can come in hard and fast or quiet and oh so slow.
Small bulls react different than big bullies, they don't want to run into a fight.
Bulls with cows already may just head away. These you have to be in real close to, and offer a challenge.
Then other days, grunting and raking is all that gets a response.
If the area is good, make sure you spend enough time waiting for something to show up. Have sat on a stump at a swamp and called for 3 hours, gone for breakfast and come back at noon to find a bull.

Big D
07-02-2012, 07:52 AM
use a cow call cause its like saying baby im drunk come and get me for that time period

srupp
07-02-2012, 08:01 AM
hmmm MOST bulls are looking for love...ALL their hormones...they are not firstly looking for a fight..they WILL fight for that love...use the cow call only when you can see them up on a side hill will a bull challenge sometimes work he uusually has many cows around and one will just take one at a time..

Steven

redneckmedic
07-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Hey first of 7-28 is a really good area, like others have said give a site where you want to call the time it deserves and when you do leave and continue on, swing back in later in the day and check for sign. In my experience cow calls will bring them in. When they are close give a grunt and they will turn broadside perfect shooting opportunity! Also if you run across them on the road and they start running open your door and give a grunt 9/10 they will stop! I have shot 3 in that area because they stop for a grunt, best of luck.

moosecaller
07-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Use both calls in combination about a 25% to 75% split cow to bull calls. Give a bush rake about every 3rd set of calls.

moosecaller
07-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Sorry what I mean is 25% bull calls and 75% cow calls.

GoatGuy
07-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Tough to know the right timing
you can never go wrong with a cow call, it gets their attention. teh puzzle is how will he react ?
Depending on the mood of the day, the bulls can come in hard and fast or quiet and oh so slow.
Small bulls react different than big bullies, they don't want to run into a fight.
Bulls with cows already may just head away. These you have to be in real close to, and offer a challenge.
Then other days, grunting and raking is all that gets a response.
If the area is good, make sure you spend enough time waiting for something to show up. Have sat on a stump at a swamp and called for 3 hours, gone for breakfast and come back at noon to find a bull.

This sounds about right. Seems like a lot of the time small bulls either don't come in or come in quiet if grunting.

We always call before dark - couple times had bullwinkle hanging around camp the next morning. Buddy didn't even have a chance to wipe while performing the morning ritual.

hunter1947
07-03-2012, 03:59 AM
For me I use my lungs and my throat with my hands cupped together can't get a better call doing it yourself...

bosca
07-03-2012, 07:20 AM
For me I use my lungs and my throat with my hands cupped together can't get a better call doing it yourself...
I also use this method and mostly cow call. Its much easier to vary the tone a bit and some times add a little extra 'i'm so hot' by drawing out the call a bit.
I always call at first light for a couple hours with about 15 - 20 minutes between calls. If they dont come in come back at dusk and try again. If there are moose in the area they will come. Also listen really hard and after a few successful attempts you will get really good at picking out that bull grunt sound from quite a ways off.
Some times you think you have bombed only to come first thing the next morning to find a full on moose party rockin :shock:.
Key is patience ...It pays off big time.

BiG Boar
07-03-2012, 07:30 AM
From the reading I have done on when to use what call this is what I have come up with.

Start with mainly cow calls, but you can throw in the odd bull calling sequence.

Now you have to understand why cows call. They call more often out of annoyance that a younger immature bull is bothering them. They want a really mack daddy, so they call long and hard.

If you do a bull grunt, try to be a higher pitched, younger bull grunt.

Now here is the sequence. As soon as a big bull has come to the cow, she shuts up. So when you hear a bull grunting back, stop with the cow call. Now switch only to young bull grunts. This is what would happen in nature, and the new love sick boy should come in to investigate further. Good chance he will try to wind you, so if you have some cow in heat scent feel free to apply it while calling.

Patients is key, and over calling will not help.

The key word to do a cow grunt is EARL. Just long and drawn out, like EAAAAARRRRLLLLLLL! Nasally if you can pinch your nose too. This is not coming from someone who has called in hundreds of bulls, but I have asked a lot of questions to people who know what they are doing, and have consulted with a variety of sources.

boxhitch
07-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Now you have to understand why cows call. They call more often out of annoyance that a younger immature bull is bothering them. They want a really mack daddy, so they call long and hard.Witnessed that for the first time several years ago, at 2 pm on a sunny day. Heard the commotion so paddled down the lake to check it out. The moose were in the brush but did appear on the shore line. Cow with a calf just wasn't ready for the 54"-ish bull that was chasing about. He seemed to be chasing the calf as much as the cow. The bellowing could be heard clearly across the lake and went on for a timed 22 minutes. Things finally went quiet, and the cow and calf were seen heading up the mountain away from the lake and the insistent lover. The bull came out to the water for a drink and a cool down, then a trip to the happy humping grounds.

moose2
07-03-2012, 10:27 PM
There are a lot of good comments on here. I too would stick with a cow call only , because you want a meat bull. I have chased younger bulls off by grunting. If you think you have scared one off, change your location by a km or so and start with cow calls only you may get him to come back. I have had this work on med size bulls that had been beat up, that's why the cow call only works for these ones. After I get a bull answering and heading my way, I will do a single cow call when the grunts stop. This will get him moving and grunting again. I will continue this until he can be seen. I think if you are in a open meadow or cut block a cow decoy may work very well for bringing him in to the open. 7-28 can be quite busy so try to pick a calling location that won't be easily accessed by vehicles. On a quiet day the calls can be heard easily so if you are to close to the main road you may end up with another hunter checking things out.
Good luck on your hunt.
Mike

cariboobill
07-05-2012, 07:22 AM
BOSCA has a good point. There are many cow calls and the same for bull calls. get a web site and try to learn the difference between a hot cow call and a call that a cow makes when another bull is around and she does not want him or a cow that is looking for a mate.

Timing for your hunt Oct 1st is around the rut and the bulls should respond well to the cow calls. Also get to know Bull Calls as well, as they can bring a Bull a little closer. Find a good spot where cows are seen to be munching and the bull will not be far. It takes time, try not to get discouraged.

Also call 20-30 minutes or so between calls with soft calls at first, getting louder calls as time goes on, is what I like.

good luck

CB

boxhitch
07-05-2012, 07:42 AM
soft calls at first, getting louder calls as time goes on,Works sometimes, but can be contrary if a bull has started coming in quietly, then the loud stuff can be out of place. To each his own though.