PDA

View Full Version : 5-15b For Moose ?

Big Bucks
07-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Well I finally got an LEH ,been trying for 15+years and I don't even recall how I got this zone ,I didn't get my first choice and I don't know how I got this as my second choice ,I'm sure I didn't put it in as this zone since I have no Idea of the area . After looking at the zone I'm thinking it is going to be really tuff to get an animal out of this area . Has anyone ever been up hunting in that area before for moose and how was your hunt? I'm thinking the Mitchell river is probably the best bet . I don't think I want to take a boat across that lake . If anyone has any experiences they would like to share I'm willing to listen .
Colin

Big Bucks
07-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Just my luck, I take it no one has tried hunting mitchell river before.

KB90
07-02-2012, 07:16 AM
5-15b is a tough draw. What time of year is your draw?

I know someone who has hunted from a boat on the mitchell. (you can't get very far up it)

In the summer we've put in at elysia and made the trek to the end of the lake, but you need a pretty good size boat to do it safely.

If that's not an option I also know there is (was ?) a shitty little road/trail that I've taken to get down to the lake at the end of the north arm to fish the mitchell. We we're able to take a small fishing boat on a trailer behind the truck. But we had to use the winch and chains to get in there. It was a nice little spot to camp (We slept in a canopy, it's definitely not an rv of any kind road. tents would work) I haven't been there in quite a few years but if you're interested I could see if I could figure out where that access was.

We had a few bulls right on the lakeshore outfront of our camping spot a couple mornings. And fishing at the rivermouth and in the river was awesome :D If your there at the right time you should be able to hear the grizzleys fighting on the river on a quiet day/night as the salmon will be running. You will see all the grass flatend on the banks and the trails where the bears are coming to fish.

Big D
07-02-2012, 07:49 AM
a buddy (835) and i both had draws in that area 3 years ago. we camped out at Ghost Lake. it took 5 days to tag my moose then 2 more days to tag my buddys moose. its a small portion that we hunted on the north east part of 5-15b that u can drive to just go through Likely. like i said its a small area and if you have more than 2 hunters in there it might be a little much. also take a shot gun cause there are also lot of grouse around.

srupp
07-02-2012, 07:55 AM
hmmm spent LOTS of time in there..in the fall decent moose sign..and lots of salmon seeking grizzly..its doable for moose..again whattime frame??

congrads

Steven

.330 Dakota
07-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Look up Ghost Lake on your map. There is a rec site there but you better be there 2 days before opener if you want a spot. Wall to wall hunters unless you have a late season draw, which then you must watch for snow. Grizzlies thick as thieves too. If you can get accross the north arm of Quesnel lake you have much more area to hunt,,,good luck

Big Bucks
07-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all the info guys , we got the Oct 1 time so I hope we don't have to worry about to much snow. I don't know if I'm going to take the boat up or just do the truck thing . How is it at the silver tip lodge side ?

Drillbit
07-02-2012, 10:47 PM
No road to silvertip lodge. I haven't hunted at that end, but I might go there scouting this summer.
Mitchell/penfold not worth the effort.

I would try by ghost lake.

If I head out to the roaring or wasko country this summer I'll give you an update.

srupp
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
roaring. wasco all hold moose as does the Ghost lake area..oct 1 is CALLING TIME..

cheers

Steven

dhog
07-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Had that draw last year 25 plus hunters on 15 km of road tough hunt first guy out on the first day shot the only moose lots of griz the z road will take you down to the lake by the mitchel river. If I was to do it again i would find a barge and go across Quesnel lake to get away from the masses also there might be more game

KB90
07-03-2012, 07:26 AM
If I was to do it again i would find a barge and go across Quesnel lake to get away from the masses also there might be more game

I've heard they've pulled all the culverts up the roaring.

shallowH2O
07-03-2012, 07:59 AM
roaring, penfold valleys had/has all the bridges pulled out of it. whatever was left they are going in this summer to remove the rest. this makes the road access across the lake really tough. wasco till accessible to the old mine site. out the east arm they are working on removing the bridges this summer/fall as well. the trapper was/is going in this summer to set up some crossings for his sleds for the winter. drop me a pm in sept and ill let you know if theyre crossable with a quad. good luck, will be a fun hunt

srupp
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
actually that draw has some of the highest concentrations of moose in the cariboo..just not near the Z rd..

cheers\\

Steven

Riverboatfantasy
07-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the info guys , we got the Oct 1 time so I hope we don't have to worry about to much snow. I don't know if I'm going to take the boat up or just do the truck thing . How is it at the silver tip lodge side ?

Deep snow is a huge problem in the area along with heavy rain and very thick bush. The grizzlies WILL find you and there are lots of them. Best to pray that they get a good feed of salmon. Lots of swamp and water that will find you up to your butt crack in the mire. The high winds on Quesnel Lake can make for some extremely dangerous conditions. Be vewwy careful.