PDA

View Full Version : Bear at this time

rollingrock
11-10-2006, 09:54 AM
I was going to go find a bear this week before the weekend but was tied up to work. Now it's snowing everywhere. Looks like I've got to wait till next spring. :|

todbartell
11-10-2006, 10:06 AM
well, as a positive note, it will give you 6 months to save up for a new rifle :lol:

rollingrock
11-10-2006, 10:23 AM
:o How did you read my mind?! :lol:

Amphibious
11-10-2006, 10:54 AM
a REAL rifle ;)

Steeleco
11-10-2006, 11:07 AM
a REAL rifle ;)
I know where you can get good deal on a #1 in .338, animals die of fright looking at it!!! 8-)8-) I know "my bad"

Really RR drop the SKS over the side of a boat and get on with it:lol:

As for seeing bears, doubtful but I'm still going to try tomorrow!!

rollingrock
11-10-2006, 11:24 AM
I know where you can get good deal on a #1 in .338, animals die of fright looking at it!!! I know "my bad"

Really RR drop the SKS over the side of a boat and get on with it

As for seeing bears, doubtful but I'm still going to try tomorrow!!

:lol: I just did some maths last night while enjoying my newly scoped SKS. An SKS cost me 120 bucks. I've put a couple of thousand of milsurp bullets down the pipe to practice so that's a little over 200 bucks. Bought a set of dies, some brasse and bullets for reloading my hunting ammo so that's about another 200 bucks. Just put a new scope mount and a new cheap but good compact 2-6x28 scope which cost me another 60 bucks. So altogether I've spent 600-700 bucks roughly on this SKS:eek: ! That's why I hunted with it.... to break even the cost!:twisted: Now I think I've made a little profit out of this lovely cheap semi auto and am pretty happy with it. So it's time for me to switch back to 30-06, but drop it by the side of the boat....man, no way!:lol:

Amphibious
11-10-2006, 11:29 AM
if hunting was about being cost effective we'd all be using a longbow.

rollingrock
11-10-2006, 11:32 AM
if hunting was about being cost effective we'd all be using a longbow.

That's why there're bow hunters out there I guess.:lol:

ryanb
11-10-2006, 11:41 AM
I had a close encounter of the bear kind with the largest black bear I've seen in my life, less than a week ago. They are definately not asleep quite yet. Though with all the snow coming down up in the mountains right now it will be getting to that time.

rollingrock
11-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Exactly that's why I wanted to get out before this week end.

magicarrowman
11-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey rolling rock, don't think bow hunting is cheap either!!!!!! I'd bet you that my bow set-up costs more than most guns!!! Every time you squeeze the trigger it costs you a buck or two? Try close to $20.00 for each arrow with a broadhead!!!! Now I know I can re-use my arrows, but each broadhead I use is worth $10.00 a piece!! So lay off us bowhunters with that crap!!!!!!!!!

rollingrock
11-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Easy, easy...can you have a little sense of humour? :)

Steeleco
11-10-2006, 12:12 PM
If it was about cheap meat, I'd hunt at Safeway, the animals are in the same spot all the time!!!

Good luck RR, Where you heading?

rollingrock
11-10-2006, 12:22 PM
To me wild meat and the happiness of enjoying the meat with family and friends are priceless, not counting my effort and time put in hunting. I was just joking with you. Even that cheap SKS is a priceless hunting rig to me given that it spent so much time with me in the bush.

I haven't decided yet, but most probably I would go somewhere close to LM where there're still some fish run going on and most idealy with a little bit snow on the ground. I'll be watching the weathernetwork.com closely.

magicarrowman
11-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Hey rollingrock, didn't mean to get all worked up.I just hate it when people put down bow hunting for whatever reason. It's because it takes so much skill and practice!! As for you getting a nice black bear, they will still be trying to pack on as much winter fat as possible. Try around a body of water that still has salmon running up it, they'll be around there filling up on salmon. I've shot a few B.C. book bears and I know that you'll find them chowing down on as much fish as possible. ( If you want a real rush, stalk a 400 to 500lbs. one to 15 yards and have him turn to you and roar,then stick it with an arrow!!! Now if that dosen't get the blood pumping, I don't know what does.)

Amphibious
11-10-2006, 01:09 PM
one to 15 yards and have him turn to you and roar,then stick it with an arrow!!! Now if that dosen't get the blood pumping, I don't know what does.)

I suppose you're using a traditional bow then? 8-)

rollingrock
11-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Hey rollingrock, didn't mean to get all worked up.I just hate it when people put down bow hunting for whatever reason. It's because it takes so much skill and practice!! As for you getting a nice black bear, they will still be trying to pack on as much winter fat as possible. Try around a body of water that still has salmon running up it, they'll be around there filling up on salmon. I've shot a few B.C. book bears and I know that you'll find them chowing down on as much fish as possible. ( If you want a real rush, stalk a 400 to 500lbs. one to 15 yards and have him turn to you and roar,then stick it with an arrow!!! Now if that dosen't get the blood pumping, I don't know what does.)

Of course I know how tough bowhunting is and the skills that are involved. I'd like to try it but at this stage I'm still not ready yet. I've seen some long time gun hunters switching to bowhunting after they had accumulated enough skills and knowledge.

Thanks for the advice on bear hunting at this time. I learned some years ago from a hunter in Northeastern China that the bears will still be feeding after the first coat of snow on the ground but will be speeding up the feeding activities a little more. But they'll be gone into their dens before the REAL thick snow coming down so that the snow will cover their tracks well up.

magicarrowman
11-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Amphibious.I shoot a 60-70lbs.compound bow.

Amphibious
11-10-2006, 02:33 PM
oh, a compound, ok ;)

back to rollingrock: let us know how it goes, bears all gone (for the most part) up here.

rollingrock
11-10-2006, 02:51 PM
back to rollingrock: let us know how it goes, bears all gone (for the most part) up here.

It'll all depend on weather. Actually the last two days was the best time to go out.

Joe89
11-10-2006, 06:24 PM
I was out today, for last day of Mule and seen a black bear running at full throttle across the road. I was surprised as it was blizzard conditions where I was at.

bsa30-06
11-10-2006, 08:53 PM
[quote=Steeleco]If it was about cheap meat, I'd hunt at Safeway, the animals are in the same spot all the time!!!

Thanxs for the tip!!!!

BCLongshot
11-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Bear around the FV will be out for a long time yet depending on the temp