PDA

View Full Version : Elk in White River Valley?

cvwhitetail
07-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Looking for new uncrowded horizens. Anyone know or hunted White Swan Lake area or White Swan Valley? Are there any elk in the area? Any advice would be appreciated.

goatdancer
07-01-2012, 06:50 PM
There are elk around Whiteswan. Have no idea how many but we ran into some when we were chasing my buddy's goat a few years back.

smoothbor
07-01-2012, 07:12 PM
elk are around, but as well it is a pretty busy place over the last few years for sure, lots of traffic but where isnt there in the east koots...lol

Everett
07-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Lots of Elk lots of road closures and lots of hunters,

Farmer
07-01-2012, 08:36 PM
We hunted there a lot in the 80s when there were lots of LEH draws. At that time there were lots of elk and lots of people. We did manage a few bulls. If you got off the road and hiked you could find elk. I haven't been back in a lot of years as in the nearly 90s the elk numbers seemed to drop and there was wolf sign everywhere. It was also a long drive and children came along. We would camp along the White river and you could hunt in almost any direction. There were lots of nice slides to glass. I don't know what the road closures are like now, or the deactivations or the pine beetle effect, but I would like to go back. It is a large area and I am sure you could find a spot without a crowd.

The Dude
07-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Whiteswan = Many hunters.

Deeboe
07-02-2012, 12:12 AM
If you are looking for new uncrowded horizons i wouldn't recommend white river area lol been there a few times over the last couple years and its increasingly busier each year...

cvwhitetail
07-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the info. I think we might change our mind and find somewhere else to hunt. The pictures on Google Earth looked great and it looked like a good place to go.

hunter1947
07-03-2012, 04:07 AM
If I where you I would head in up past White Swan lake find a camping spot lots are along this FSR make camp and hunt in the areas where there are no road closures there are lots of places to hunt in this area just pick a side hill that looks good head on up it and see what there is there to find ..

fearnodeer
07-03-2012, 06:03 AM
If I where you I would head in up past White Swan lake find a camping spot lots are along this FSR make camp and hunt in the areas where there are no road closures there are lots of places to hunt in this area just pick a side hill that looks good head on up it and see what there is there to find ..

This is good advise i have hunted the area back in the 80's as well, lots of game, get off the main beat and path and you will do well.

cvwhitetail
07-03-2012, 10:54 AM
That is kind of what we were thinking of. My husband is a definite off-road and way into bush kind of hunter. Thank you for the advice. Looking forward to new horizons.