PDA

View Full Version : Moose - gutless method or regular gutting and quartering

sapper
07-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Title says it all. Buddies and I are going on our first moose hunt this fall and I've been getting conflicting advice on which is the preferred method of dealing with the swamp donkeys. I thought I'd post a poll to see what the majority think.
Gutless method
Regular gutting and quartering

nolimits
07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
I am in the same situation, so needles to say I will follow this thread with great interest.

anglo-saxon
07-01-2012, 05:09 PM
shoot => gut => truck => camp => hang => skin => clean => quarter => bag => butcher => freezer => stove/BBQ

Bowzone_Mikey
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
What do you consider "regular gutting and quartering"?
to me it really dont matter ... but what really makes the decision for me is where the moose was shot .... If there is the off chance that a gut sack was hit ... ie: 1/4 away shot .... out comes the entrails ASAP.

I am not totally comfortable with the gutles method ... I can work through it ... but have to really think about what i am doing whereas pulling out the entrails is like second nature but far more difficult than the gutless method

Regardless I 1/4 the moose in the woods .. Leave the pelvis and the spine ... no sense in packing out all that extra weight

Tikka270
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
I think it depends on the situation. If the moose is right by the road within roping distance from your truck there is no need to use gutless method, if you have to pack it out quite a ways then I would use gutless.

nolimits
07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
shoot => gut => truck => camp => hang => skin => clean => quarter => bag => butcher => freezer => stove/BBQ

I know now who the man of very few words is ;) Excellent form of simplicity. Love it and will keep somewhere handy.

Ubertuber
07-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Once you do a couple of gutless, and then go back to gutting you will realize that gutting is a complete waste of time.
Gutless all the way.

bochunk2000
07-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I have done the gutless method on the two Moose I have taken part in...I really like it as it makes things a lot easier and I have learned on other animals and it goes quite quickly. Saves a lot of weight when hung at the cutting shop...

anglo-saxon
07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I know now who the man of very few words is ;) Excellent form of simplicity. Love it and will keep somewhere handy.

You obviously haven't met the Mrs!! :shock:
I think she'd disagree!! :-o

ThinAir
07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
I will never gut a moose again. Gutless all the way!:)

nolimits
07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
You obviously haven't met the Mrs!! :shock:
I think she'd disagree!! :-o

LOL No, I can't honestly say that I met the Mrs. Was I that far off?? ;)

rcar
07-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Perhaps someone can clarify this for me.....from my understanding using the gutless method you end up leaving the tenderloins behind??? If that is right it makes no sense to me. My thought would be to do the gutless method then when all the other meat is cleared away, gut it and get the tenderloins then....or is there another way on a moose?

The Dawg
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
No, you can cut into the cavity and pull the tenderloins after you have 'gutless'.

But if you go gutless, you leave Tbones out, and moose ribs!

rcar
07-01-2012, 05:56 PM
No, you can cut into the cavity and pull the tenderloins after you have 'gutless'.

Thanks for the info. I watched a you tube version a while back of the gutless method and they didn't get the loins, but it was a deer.....maybe not enough room to get in. I have to say as a solo hunter the gutless did really appeal to me but I would just feel too guilty leaving good meat behind.

Bear Chaser
07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Gutless all the way for me as well. Way easier unless there's is a tractor with front end loader handy.

Gateholio
07-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Gutless, for sure. I don't know why some guys spend a couple of hours gutting and retrieving a moose whole. Your meat is not cooling much at all. And you can get every scrap of meat with gutless. Even the organs if you want- after you've cut off the meat, you just open the back of the gutsack (you are going to anyway, to retrieve the tenderloins) and then you can get the liver, heart etc. Difference being you don't have to work in a bunch of blood and guts, and your meat is cooling already.

willyqbc
07-01-2012, 07:20 PM

Only part of the T-bone we miss out on is the bone, and we also take the ribs. T-loins and ribs are the last thing we take before filpping to work the other side. The T-loins are actually very easy to get at and the ribs are easy to cut off with a wyoming saw or any other handy little saw. The only thing left in the bush is the spine, head, and the thick bone in the brisket.

Chris

Ry151
07-01-2012, 07:41 PM
If your use the gutless, what is the proceedure to show the sex of the animal, just leave the sexual organ attached until you get home/butcher? (To stay legal)

Bowzone_Mikey
07-01-2012, 07:47 PM
If your use the gutless, what is the proceedure to show the sex of the animal, just leave the sexual organ attached until you get home/butcher? (To stay legal)
yep ... and a 4x4 (aprox.. doesnt have to be that size ) patch of hide on each quarter to show species

pescado
07-01-2012, 09:04 PM
I think you are suppose to leave the tail on the deer as well, I'll have to check that again. Learn the gutless method and you'll never go back.

Moose Guide
07-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Perhaps someone can clarify this for me.....from my understanding using the gutless method you end up leaving the tenderloins behind??? If that is right it makes no sense to me. My thought would be to do the gutless method then when all the other meat is cleared away, gut it and get the tenderloins then....or is there another way on a moose?

You take the tenderloins out by the spine, between the ribs and pelvis! Tenderloins out and gut cavity still undisturbed if you're careful!!! They are not IN the gut cavity!!!

Moose Guide
07-01-2012, 09:17 PM

shoot=>skin=>chunk=>bag=>truck=>camp=>hang=>butcher=>stove/bbq 12 steps for you, 9 for me!

325 wsm
07-01-2012, 09:18 PM
any big game , gutless saves time.

Moose Guide
07-01-2012, 09:25 PM
to me it really dont matter ... but what really makes the decision for me is where the moose was shot .... If there is the off chance that a gut sack was hit ... ie: 1/4 away shot .... out comes the entrails ASAP.

I am not totally comfortable with the gutles method ... I can work through it ... but have to really think about what i am doing whereas pulling out the entrails is like second nature but far more difficult than the gutless method

Regardless I 1/4 the moose in the woods .. Leave the pelvis and the spine ... no sense in packing out all that extra weight

Why, Why, Why would you gut it if it was gut shot? are you trying to get guts on the meat? Just leave the mess inside where it can't get on the meat, then after removing all the meat from the carcass just leave the rib and spine torpedo where it is! You only need to open the gut cavity to get the liver and the chest cavity to get the heart if you want them!

Ambush
07-01-2012, 09:41 PM
You only need to open the gut cavity to get the liver and the chest cavity to get the heart if you want them!

I really like liver, but not from a rutted up moose. The heart, though, is always good. Spice, brown in hot fat and then several hours in the slow cooker. Makes great tasting and healthy sandwich meat. Very good for snacks in your pack as well.
Gutless or not, your first priority is to get the hide off a moose, so it can start cooling. If it's going to take a few hours to get help to pack it out then get the hide peeled back, at least on the hind quarters, and then go for help. Anybody that doesn't own a knife or know how to peel hide, shouldn't hunt by themselves.

The Dude
07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Good quick primer on gutless, plus many links on the sidebar to follow. Take all you want off the animal, leave nothing but Raven snacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4PCzDRkUA

Moose Guide
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Well done Dude, it even showed taking the tenderloins without opening the gut cavity! Ambush, I also like liver and heart with heart being my favorite!

The Dude
07-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Another good one on an elk. Lots of links to the right again also. If you're not ON the road with a flatdeck, this is the way to go :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=973O44G_-Bw&feature=related

07-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Did 3rd rib back quartering for WAY to many years, taking likely hundreds of pounds to the butcher with them laughing all the way to the bank ........ till one day I was on a pack in with ponys and never looked back.

NEVER again waste money time or effort again taking in extra bone and fat to the butcher ......... even forced my hand a lot more to butcher myself ....... simple quick and waste free.

If you don't do it your stupid not to try to give it a whirl.

CT

Glenny
07-02-2012, 07:54 AM

I think I would like to try fithing it. Legs off and neck to spine in one piece. Easy for packing out and no sawing down that endless spine.

boxhitch
07-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Gutless all the way.
depending on the transport, consider leaving the hide on the legs till its home or at least hanging.
legs can be dragged a long ways with the hair side down, tougher than bags. The hide makes for easy handling , just cut slits in for hand holds.

grizzhunter64
07-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Been deboning all our animals for years, usually done in 1.5 hours, bringing out nothing but meat, so much easier!

Moose Guide
07-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Title says it all. Buddies and I are going on our first moose hunt this fall and I've been getting conflicting advice on which is the preferred method of dealing with the swamp donkeys. I thought I'd post a poll to see what the majority think.
Gutless method
Regular gutting and quartering

Maybe do another poll and see how many of those who chose regular quartering have tried the gutless method, I'll bet only one or two.

moosinaround
07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
I like to get the moose out whole if I can. My dog loves moose legs!! Ribs, T-bones, are all things I like to have in the freezer for the BBQ. If I am packing it out on the pack board it gets the gutless, bone out method, but I have been able to get my quad into most areas to get the moose out! Moosin

kennyj
07-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I've de-boned (gutless method) every moose we've shot. Its the only way to go.IMO
kenny

Sitkaspruce
07-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Been doing the gutless method for around 10 years, never gut another animal again, other than an Island deer.

One time my clients shot a moose and when I wen to do the gutless method, they got a little bent. They were old time elk hunters and has always packed out their elk by the third rib method. There was too much meat lost on the gutless method. Well I did the moose the gut less way and while I was packing out the meat, they spent over an hour cutting and hacking to get ~7 lbs of meat off the carcass.

To get the heart/liver, just whack off the ribs when done and the innards are there for your picking.

It always amazes me that hunters will shoot a moose and then pack the whole animal in the back of their truck to camp, hang it, skin it, then quarter it....all in camp. You can do the whole thing out in the bush and not to have to break your back lifting, skinning or rehanging.

Its the only way to deal with an animal.

Cheers

SS

Bow Walker
07-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Why would you leave behuind edible portions?!? Liver, and heart are some of the best eating. Moose ribs are great on the BBQ.

I can understand boning out the quarters to save weight if you've got a "pack-out", but for heaven's sake take the good stuff too!

Moose Guide
07-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Why would you leave behuind edible portions?!? Liver, and heart are some of the best eating. Moose ribs are great on the BBQ.

I can understand boning out the quarters to save weight if you've got a "pack-out", but for heaven's sake take the good stuff too!

The only edible part of the ribs left behind is that tiny strip of meat between the ribs, maybe a quarter inch thick! Not much of a BBQ if you ask me!

Gateholio
07-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Why would you leave behuind edible portions?!?

You don't need to leave any edible portions that you don't wish to leave.

Liver, and heart are some of the best eating.

And are easy to remove after you have removed the meat via gutless method

Moose ribs are great on the BBQ.

If you want to remove the ribs, just cut them off the carcass. Easily done with a saw or hatchet. You can also just cut the meat out from in between the rib bones.

GoatGuy
07-02-2012, 11:56 AM
It always amazes me that hunters will shoot a moose and then pack the whole animal in the back of their truck to camp, hang it, skin it, then quarter it....all in camp. You can do the whole thing out in the bush and not to have to break your back lifting, skinning or rehanging.

Cheers

SS

Old man does this and it is the biggest friggen' operation I've ever seen. "Gotta get it out whole" which means wrecked quads, vehicle abuse and meat with dirt in it - what an f show. Only to bring it back to camp to skin it, quarter it (which a chain saw so there's bone frags everywhere), throw it in game bags, then you have to dispose of the hide etc somewhere where nobody's gonna have a bear problem.

Last time we had a double header on bulls, their moose took 4 hours, hide covered in dirt and mud, dirt on the inside, ours took two hours, packed out to the road and ready for the butcher.

Bow Walker
07-02-2012, 11:58 AM
The only edible part of the ribs left behind is that tiny strip of meat between the ribs, maybe a quarter inch thick! Not much of a BBQ if you ask me!

All depends on how much meat you leave on the bone - meat that would normally go to burger...........

Sitkaspruce
07-02-2012, 01:13 PM
All depends on how much meat you leave on the bone - meat that would normally go to burger...........

Bow Walker

Read my last post. Over an hour of hacking and cutting produced ~7 lbs of meat, nothing bigger than 5" long (meat between the ribs). There is VERY LITTLE WASTE (less than what a butcher would throw out). Plus getting the heart/liver is easy.

Cheers

SS

Gateholio
07-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Old man does this and it is the biggest friggen' operation I've ever seen. "Gotta get it out whole" which means wrecked quads, vehicle abuse and meat with dirt in it - what an f show. Only to bring it back to camp to skin it, quarter it (which a chain saw so there's bone frags everywhere), throw it in game bags, then you have to dispose of the hide etc somewhere where nobody's gonna have a bear problem.

Last time we had a double header on bulls, their moose took 4 hours, hide covered in dirt and mud, dirt on the inside, ours took two hours, packed out to the road and ready for the butcher.

Hilarious!! :)

I always get a chuckle out of the guys that seem to take immense pride in taking most of the day to drag a whole moose out. Covered in dirt, still hot to the touch, meat festering away, broken winch cable, blood up to their shoulders and a sore back. :)

We have to cut it up anyway, so why not do it right away? :)

anglo-saxon
07-02-2012, 01:56 PM
shoot=>skin=>chunk=>bag=>truck=>camp=>hang=>butcher=>stove/bbq 12 steps for you, 9 for me!

Well, I do like to gut, clean and freeze mine. Call me crazy!

Gateholio
07-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Rib meat removed, taking a break

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/47562_462044295515_6211291_n.jpg

anglo-saxon
07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Probem is, if you search for "gutless" on YouTube, you get a bunch of hits for the NDP! Oh, well!

Goliath
07-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Gutless makes so much sense. It's so easy doing a nice clean job in 1/2 the time. There's nothing wrong with gutting the animal, but IMO, the walk ain't worth the view so to speak.

Always makes me laugh when I see macho men with a whole moose in camp, and then go about destroying it with schrapnel from their chainsaw (with veg oil to be safe). Meat covered in hair and dirt, and then I get a lecture about going gutless. Hmmm, wonder how much spice they end up using on their steaks.

Brambles
07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Normally if I have to pack it its getting the gutless bag method, if the truck is near and its just a drag show then I"m more than OK with just pulling it in whole or in half.

killin-time
07-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Do yourself a favor and read the article (Handle with care) P.14 in Julys Bowhunter magazine.Just go into your local magazine store and read it.You will be able to decide for yourself and learn a few things you might not have thought much about.I did.

SR80
07-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I tried it out on my bear this spring. And I think I'll be doing it for now on. Quick and easy! Here's a link to a Video clip on the gutless method for the people who haven't tried it.
http://elk101.com/forum/general-elk-hunting/fred-eichlers-gutless-method/

hunterdon
07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
To answer your question Sapper. Regular gut and quarter for me.

I usually hunt alone. And that includes moose and elk. During the warmer season, (the rut), which is when I prefer to hunt, I make the greatest effort at taking an animal late in the day, which happens more often than not. Taking advantage of the cooler night temperatures to quickly cool the meat.

With that in mind, I value my own hide. When in grizz country, which is probably most of BC, my thinking is to get the animal out as quickly as possible. Some here talk of guys taking up to 2 hours to field dress an animal. That's a bit much I think. It only takes me 10 to 15 minutes tops to field dress my game. A bit longer to quarter the animal. But, certainly a lot quicker than the gutless method. No time to waste cutting out back straps, strips of meat from ribs, etc. I do all my own meat processing and that can wait till I get home.

So, I guess if you feel you have the time, then you can try the gutless method, if time is important (like maybe when it'starting to get dark) then gut it out and get out. There's been more than one hunter in BC killed by grizz when dressing out their quarry.

A few tools I always carry on my person for the last several years, (remember I usually hunt alone) is a hatchet, flagging tape and some rope. Quarter inch is fine. The rope for tying the legs of a large animal to a nearby tree making it much easier to dress out. Flagging tape for after I dress the animal out and make my way back to truck/quad/boat, marking the easiest route along the way. That way when making subsequent trips it speeds things up, especially if in dark.

Good luck to you and buds on your first moose hunt!

hunter1947
07-03-2012, 03:57 AM
I take all the animal ribs ,hart ,liver I clean the gut bag out of most animals I take..

sapper
07-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Hmmm, 41% seem to favour gutless while 59% claim to favour gutting and quartering. However, when I read the responses the gutless fans seem to be more vociferous. Interesting. I'm going to need to do additional research and try to get a better handle on the gutless method. Thanks all who weighed in.

BChunter
07-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Guys, read the grizzly books by G. Sheldon. After back-slapping each other, make a camp fire to have burning to one side. Lean rifles with full mags in a safe place and get to work. The smoke will go with the blood smell. What's 5 miles down wind to a hungry griz? About 20 minutes,,,,,,,,, Good hunting this fall and don't walk back the next day to check the guts too quickly! Warn your partners where the gut pile is and other nosy hunters. Ravens in the trees says something, they should be on the ground.

bc mike
07-03-2012, 09:27 PM
I hunt mainly moose and can understand useing the gutless method when you have to pack your meat out. I have debated useing it in all cases but I still believe gutting is the best for most cases. I can gut the moose in about 20 min. Lay out cable, blocks and pull it out whole with a truck or get my quad in close. We have an efficient system developed over 35+ years that can be done in the daylight or dark. Getting a little dirt on the hide is nothing to worry about. A small powersaw with vegetable oil is quick and when used right does not ruin any meat. I like the idea of all the meat setting up in quarters. Any cuts that you make must be trimmed by the butcher. When you bring in chuncks they all must be trimmed. Not one system works in every case, that is the beauty of learning every year.

Tikka270
07-03-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm bringing a battery powered sawz-all this year. I hope it works like I imagine it to.

Sitkaspruce
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
I hunt mainly moose and can understand useing the gutless method when you have to pack your meat out. I have debated useing it in all cases but I still believe gutting is the best for most cases. I can gut the moose in about 20 min. Lay out cable, blocks and pull it out whole with a truck or get my quad in close. We have an efficient system developed over 35+ years that can be done in the daylight or dark. Getting a little dirt on the hide is nothing to worry about. A small powersaw with vegetable oil is quick and when used right does not ruin any meat. I like the idea of all the meat setting up in quarters. Any cuts that you make must be trimmed by the butcher. When you bring in chuncks they all must be trimmed. Not one system works in every case, that is the beauty of learning every year.

My BIL is a butcher and he will tell you that a quartered moose by the gut and quarter method is the easiest way to make money....... He could never understand why you would like to pay for all that bone that gets thrown away.......but he doesn't mind.....

Cheers

SS

bc mike
07-03-2012, 09:51 PM
My BIL is a butcher and he will tell you that a quartered moose by the gut and quarter method is the easiest way to make money....... He could never understand why you would like to pay for all that bone that gets thrown away.......but he doesn't mind.....

Cheers

SS

Perhaps I am lucky because I do not pay for the waste moose bone either! Butchers are businessmen. If every hunter deboned their game and the butcher had to trim all that chunk meat then they would simply adjust their price.

ohotnik
07-04-2012, 08:04 AM

Cheers

SS

Why would anybody use butcher with gutless method?! The meat is already separated -- you have your backstraps and tenderloins ready - just cut and pack them. Takes 5 minutes to do that even on regular kitchen table. Not much hussle to cut and pack hindlegs and shoulders as well. Half a day job maximum - $300 - $500 savings!
On the other hand reqular moose quaters may be overwelming for reqular kitchen and butcher can be considered...

ohotnik
07-04-2012, 08:19 AM
With gutlees method I would loose all the meat bones which my family uses for broth, stock, soups, borsch etc. I can not imagine my borsch without a piece of good meaty bone...
And looking how people trying to remove tenderloins, liver, heart with gutless method, I can not see any real advantages of it, as it seems as a lot of work and hussle.
Gutlees makes sence if you only removing legs and backstraps - then it is easy enough, quick and no butcher required. But you loose a lot of good staff... IMHO

Axle
07-04-2012, 08:37 AM
It is totally dependant on the situation, location, temperature, time and help available. Gutless is a good means of deboning the animal without getting blood everywhere but the more cuts and exposed meat you create the more waste there is. If you want to keep as much meat as possible keep the animal more intact. I skin with nothing on the hide and the last two years it has only taken two hours to gut, skin my elk and have ready for packing. I was able to cart out in halves which is the biggest pieces I could manage.
When breaking down the animal you will leave very little meat on the carcass but the many pieces you cut will crust up and will all sustain much more meat loss than if taken out in larger pieces. I believe it is best to take the animal out in as big of pieces as possible for the situation.

Axle

07-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I am very surprised to see how many still quarter with ribs and spine in, what a waste of EFFORT TIME AND MONEY ........ try the gutless, learn it properly .... you will never look back.

Also, I never leave a heart, liver and Tender loins behind.......... no waste when done properly, you just need to learn it.

CT

Philcott
07-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Some guys are talking about loosing more meat to trimming by using the gutless method. When using that method do you guys still hang the meat and do you loose meat to trimming? I do my own butchering unless I'm caught in a place where the heat of the day forces me to take the meat in for processing and in that case, I can see the advantage of not paying for a bunch of bone to just be thrown out.

I too like to bring my meat out intact to quarter, clean and hang at camp but I'll probably try the gutless method on a deer this year if I'm a ways back in the bush when I get it. If it's near the road it'll come to camp whole.

budismyhorse
07-04-2012, 10:01 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2010_moose2_resize.JPG
Ive done a few now and I'll NEVER gut a moose again. Why would you fight with those heavy buggers!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2010_moose_resize.JPG

07-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Quarter them.

Mishka
07-04-2012, 10:27 AM
The video that was posted earlier from the Alaskan Dept of fish and game showed them using the gutless method first and then gutting the moose at the end to get to the tenderloins, heart and liver. What do people think of this? It looked a lot cleaner to me. I've only harvested two deer and used the traditional approach. But I'm considering the gutless methods now.

budismyhorse
07-04-2012, 10:45 AM
you can get to all those goodies using the gutless as well. In the pics above we packed out the tenderloins and heart.....liver was shot. Just have to know where to cut and where NOT to....lol

Elkhound
07-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Ive done both methods. I do like the gutless method. Especially for the extra large animals lol However....would really like to get more practice doing it so speed up time

Ron.C
07-04-2012, 11:31 AM
With gutlees method I would loose all the meat bones which my family uses for broth, stock, soups, borsch etc. I can not imagine my borsch without a piece of good meaty bone...
And looking how people trying to remove tenderloins, liver, heart with gutless method, I can not see any real advantages of it, as it seems as a lot of work and hussle.
Gutlees makes sence if you only removing legs and backstraps - then it is easy enough, quick and no butcher required. But you loose a lot of good staff... IMHO

Unless I could back a truck/quad right up to the kill with the intention of hanging a deer/elk in camp, I'm using the gutless method. You don't loose any of the good stuff, or anything else. You can de-bone the quarters right off the carcass or quarter it and bone it out after the quarters are off. With two people, this is what I find the easiest. One person gutless quarters, then the second starts boning the quarters as they come off. Once that last two quarters are gone, moving the gut bag to get at the tenderlons/organs is really no problem at all. Very quick, clean and efficient. Especially if you are packing the meat out on your back.
I tried the gutless method first on a deer, just to try it. It is definitely easier on larger game and when I did it on an elk, it was too easy. There was no more waste then any conventional quarteing method. If edible meat is left, its left by choice, not because it's too hard to get at or remove.

07-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I think a huge point is being missed here, although called a gutless method if you eat guts, (liver and heart, tenderloin of coarse), you still have to go after it big deal, but the main point of gutless, or what our group calls indian 1/4 or short 1/4, is that you leave the SPINE and Ribs that have virtually Zippidy do da for meat on them any way, if you are a collector of the crap meat that is between ribs lined with strong tasting fat fill your boots, or the butchers wallet, your really wasting your money.

CT

Sitkaspruce
07-04-2012, 01:55 PM

The only bones left are the ribs and neck/spine/hip. The rest are still in the legs. I use the leg bones for my dog or as soup stock, never had much use for the spine/neck/hip for stock and the ribs are not my favorite.

It is totally dependant on the situation, location, temperature, time and help available. Gutless is a good means of deboning the animal without getting blood everywhere but the more cuts and exposed meat you create the more waste there is. If you want to keep as much meat as possible keep the animal more intact. I skin with nothing on the hide and the last two years it has only taken two hours to gut, skin my elk and have ready for packing. I was able to cart out in halves which is the biggest pieces I could manage.
When breaking down the animal you will leave very little meat on the carcass but the many pieces you cut will crust up and will all sustain much more meat loss than if taken out in larger pieces. I believe it is best to take the animal out in as big of pieces as possible for the situation.

Axle

It is not deboning as some folks are lead to believe. You basically do not gut and you leave the spine, neck, hip and ribs in the bush. The leg bones are still there until ready to cut up. Yes if you a long way from the road, then removing that bone will make it easier, but I kind of like those bones as they add stability to my load and make it easier to handle. But that just my way, there is others I am sure.

Here is how I do it, it's a little different from some others;

Cut from jaw to a$$ along the belly using a Wyoming or other like knife. Go with the hair so you do not cut a bunch of it off, it amazing how that stuff will find its way into your meat.
Skin from belly to spine and along each leg (leaving a patch just above each knee joint). Do not cut the guts, using the Wyoming knife allows you to skin with out puncturing. Skin around the nut sack and "Pop" it out to ensure it is attached to the hind (no hair)
Lay out the hide so hair is down.
Cut of the front shoulder, following the muscles. lay on the skin up hide (keeps it clean)
Cut off the hind by following the muscles/bone along the spine until you get about 4-6" deep (depends on animal etc.), next cut along the inside of the groin until you get to the ball joint, expose it by lifting up to cut the tendon. Once the tendon is cut, it is a matter of following the bone until you meet the cut down from the spine. Place hind on the hide.
Now from this cut, take off the backstrap. I like to go as far up the spine as I can, usually stopping at the neck. Place on top of the front quarters.
Bone out the neck on one side, place with the others.
Bone out the ribs, taking the meat off the bone in one big slab is easier than little chunks. I leave the meat between the bones as it is a lot of work for little return.
Make a small hole between the hip and ribs and take out the tenderloin by using a small knife and your hand. The tenderloin is connected by soft layers of tissue, which you can pull away with your fingers, then a cut with the knife and it comes.
Once side one is completed, I transfer the meat to a small 10x8 tarp I carry (can do that at any time) and roll the animal over and repeat for side 2.
Once you are finished with side two, if you want the heart/liver, cut off one side of the ribs with a small saw or hatchet and expose the insides. Remove what you want.
Remove the legs below the ankle joint. Leaving them makes it easier to handle/pack until ready to move from scene.

Things I carry are;
small tarp
2-3 knives, all sharp
100' of parachute cord
small hatchet
bone saw for the antlers
baby wipes
game bags (pillow cases are easy and reusable)

There is other ways, but over 10 years of using this method, I have perfected it to my way and so far it has not let me down. I have bad knees and a bad back and this method has saved me many times over the years......

And yes I am a huge proponent of this method, can't you tell:smile::wink:

Cheers

SS

ohotnik
07-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Thank you for the great write-up, Ken. I will try this method some day, especially when I will need to pack the animal out on my back and shoulders.

Moose Guide
07-04-2012, 04:44 PM
The only bones left are the ribs and neck/spine/hip. The rest are still in the legs. I use the leg bones for my dog or as soup stock, never had much use for the spine/neck/hip for stock and the ribs are not my favorite.

It is not deboning as some folks are lead to believe. You basically do not gut and you leave the spine, neck, hip and ribs in the bush. The leg bones are still there until ready to cut up. Yes if you a long way from the road, then removing that bone will make it easier, but I kind of like those bones as they add stability to my load and make it easier to handle. But that just my way, there is others I am sure.

Cut from jaw to a$$ along the belly using a Wyoming or other like knife. Go with the hair so you do not cut a bunch of it off, it amazing how that stuff will find its way into your meat.
Skin from belly to spine and along each leg (leaving a patch just above each knee joint). Do not cut the guts, using the Wyoming knife allows you to skin with out puncturing. Skin around the nut sack and "Pop" it out to ensure it is attached to the hind (no hair)
Cut of the front shoulder, following the muscles. lay on the skin up hide (keeps it clean)
Cut off the hind by following the muscles/bone along the spine until you get about 4-6" deep (depends on animal etc.), next cut along the inside of the groin until you get to the ball joint, expose it by lifting up to cut the tendon. Once the tendon is cut, it is a matter of following the bone until you meet the cut down from the spine. Place hind on the hide.
Now from this cut, take off the backstrap. I like to go as far up the spine as I can, usually stopping at the neck. Place on top of the front quarters.
Bone out the ribs, taking the meat off the bone in one big slab is easier than little chunks. I leave the meat between the bones as it is a lot of work for little return.
Make a small hole between the hip and ribs and take out the tenderloin by using a small knife and your hand. The tenderloin is connected by soft layers of tissue, which you can pull away with your fingers, then a cut with the knife and it comes.
Once side one is completed, I transfer the meat to a small 10x8 tarp I carry (can do that at any time) and roll the animal over and repeat for side 2.
Once you are finished with side two, if you want the heart/liver, cut off one side of the ribs with a small saw or hatchet and expose the insides. Remove what you want.
Remove the legs below the ankle joint. Leaving them makes it easier to handle/pack until ready to move from scene.

Things I carry are;
small tarp
2-3 knives, all sharp
100' of parachute cord
small hatchet
bone saw for the antlers
baby wipes

There is other ways, but over 10 years of using this method, I have perfected it to my way and so far it has not let me down. I have bad knees and a bad back and this method has saved me many times over the years......

Cheers

SS

The only thing you didn't mention was the neck meat which I assume was just an oversight, otherwise it sounds almost identical to my method!

lostindian
07-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks Sitkaspruce for your write-up I'm going to give it a try this season. I'm also going to watch some of the vids on utube.

broncoo
07-04-2012, 05:06 PM
You guys just leave the tenderloin?

lostindian
07-04-2012, 05:11 PM

No just watch the vids you can take them out with ease!

Sitkaspruce
07-04-2012, 08:04 PM

Things I carry are;
small tarp
2-3 knives, all sharp
100' of parachute cord
small hatchet
bone saw for the antlers
baby wipes

Cheers

SS

The only thing you didn't mention was the neck meat which I assume was just an oversight, otherwise it sounds almost identical to my method!

See above

See above

Cheers

SS

dana
07-04-2012, 08:45 PM
I do the gutless method on practically every critter, regardless of location. I'll even do it on the road when we have the vehicle right beside us. Way easier to carry an animal home in a jeep. ;) And guess what, I don't have to dick around skinning when I get home. I was raised on gutting and dragging and hanging and skinning. I don't do it that way anymore because I learned the meaning behind a simple saying, "Work smarter, not harder."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/PC100029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/PC100030.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/PC040061.jpg

Bear Chaser
07-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Sitka your description is very close to the way we do it except we don't bother with the Wyoming knife or the tarp. Before we roll the animal over we pick the clean quarters up off the meat side of the hide as you describe and drop them straight into game bags; no need to place them onto a tarp and then pick them up again to put in game bags.
Two guys working together can easily have an elk skinned, broken down and in meat sacks in 40-45 minutes. No slipping around dragging a dead weight and risking personal injury in the process.
As Dana says why work hard when you can work smarter?
It's supposed to be fun out there folks.:smile:

Moose63
07-04-2012, 09:01 PM

shoot > gut > skin > quarter > truck > camp > clean > bag > hang > butcher > freezer > BBQ

Moose Guide
07-04-2012, 10:01 PM
See above

See above

Cheers

SS

Sorry, I didn't read closely enough!

The Dude
07-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Lick > Shoot > Suck > Repeat

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q34/vazquez00/Cuervo.jpg

Sitkaspruce
07-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Lick > Shoot > Suck > Repeat

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q34/vazquez00/Cuervo.jpg

Yea but that sh*t will give you a reason to gut......

Cheers

SS

boxhitch
07-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Good info here on the gutless method
Good write up SS

An alternative method is to leave the hide on the legs.
Works better if using pack boxes or quad, bag it when it is hanging in camp or home.
Leaving the hide on also reduces the air dried layer that some worry about trimming off.

Which ever method, keep an eye out for the damned blow flies. They can put eggs in through the mesh bags too. Another reason pillow cases work good.

kennyg826
09-04-2013, 10:47 AM
We use bed sheets sewed up into game bags. Works very well. Have a draw string sewed into the open end of the bag. No flies. Meat can still cool.

250 sav
09-04-2013, 01:54 PM
I,ve yet to try the gutless method because its out of my comfort zone but plan to try it I ever get a moose in a tough spot.

David
09-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Never heard of the gutless method before, but I doubt I will use it:

1) Whenever I shoot my moose, my quad is within a 20 minute walk and the moose in shot in an area that once I get to the quad I can drive right up to the moose.
2) Using a chainsaw on the head, lower legs, etc. I can have the moose gutted and loaded in 20 minutes (I have a small ATV trailer).
3) Back to camp where it is hung, skinned, quartered (using a sawzall with a meat blade - which is what butchers use) and put in a cooler.
4) Skin is driven out of camp and dumped in a creek or something similar.
5) Back home to hang and then I butcher it myself.

I don't see how the gutless method is any faster or easier for someone who is hunting with ATVs. Even when I hike in for deer, I'm with a buddy and we quarter.

I also don't see why people take things to the butcher. At that point you're back home with all the time in the world to read a book on the subject and slowly do things right.

Ubertuber
09-06-2013, 06:54 AM
We hunt with quads too.
1. Drive up to moose if possible.
2. Using a knife, we can have one side skinned and de-meated in about 20 mins. flip over, do the other side.
3. Back at camp it is hung in cooler. Nothing to clean, cut or dump.
4. Have a drink and talk about the hunt.

People don't realize how much better/faster it is because they don't try it.

Sitkaspruce
09-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Never heard of the gutless method before, but I doubt I will use it:

1) Whenever I shoot my moose, my quad is within a 20 minute walk and the moose in shot in an area that once I get to the quad I can drive right up to the moose.
2) Using a chainsaw on the head, lower legs, etc. I can have the moose gutted and loaded in 20 minutes (I have a small ATV trailer).
3) Back to camp where it is hung, skinned, quartered (using a sawzall with a meat blade - which is what butchers use) and put in a cooler.
4) Skin is driven out of camp and dumped in a creek or something similar. I hope not!!! You do realize that it will poison the water.......just leave it where the critters can clean it up.
5) Back home to hang and then I butcher it myself.

I don't see how the gutless method is any faster or easier for someone who is hunting with ATVs. Even when I hike in for deer, I'm with a buddy and we quarter. I hunt with ATV's but unless they are standing on the road, it is a pack to the ATV. Going off road on non designater trails, cutting trees etc to get to the moose in a no no......I have seen guys fall trees, drive across wetlands and creeks and basically make a trail to get their moose because they are too damn lazy to pack it.

I also don't see why people take things to the butcher. At that point you're back home with all the time in the world to read a book on the subject and slowly do things right.

The gutless method will also keep the bears off you and keep you clean, but there is many different wast to skin a cat and the gutless works for me.

Cheers

SS

David
09-06-2013, 10:02 AM
I didn't know about poisoning the creek - will use my other spots.

I hunt cut lines for the most part - never had to chainsaw out any animal or do anything special to get a quad there. One went for a bit of a walk once - ended up stuck between two trees - winched him out as I didn't want to fall a tree.

It just seems like so many hunters are taking advantage of $$$ they have or technology, seems a shame not to use it. "Everyone" has a generator in camp, battery powered sawzalls are cheap, existing hangs are everywhere and/or people hav a ladder to easily make a new hang, I could go on and on.

In my personal circumstances the only benefit to the gutless method is when you're packing out or cost savings going to the butcher - but as mentioned neither really apply to me.

Kalum
09-06-2013, 09:29 PM
I go both ways . Still seem to like the quartering if its going to hang in camp awhile but if its a pack out then yeah it's gutless.

the bear
09-07-2013, 06:45 AM
watched someone do gutless method 100 meters from road huge waste of time and meat be a man pack the damn thing out

luckofthedraw
09-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Maybe do another poll and see how many of those who chose regular quartering have tried the gutless method, I'll bet only one or two.

<---- Guilty. Don't knock it until you've tried it. After reading the thread I plan on giving it a go.

sapper
09-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Sigh! Thanks for reviving my thread and reminding me of our lack of success on cutting our moose tags last year. Of course this year we didn't get any tags so will be hunting deer only and so will have no need for gutless.

Ron.C
09-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Like allot of guys, I let the situation dictate which method I use and have used traditional and gutless methods. Kind of makes me laugh when some respond saying one method is better then another, or one method is the only way to go when each situation can be so different. As far as wasting meat, I've seen guys waste or leave a hell of allot of meat using traditional methods. This is just laziness regardless of the method used. I've also seen animals that had spoiled because the hunters were too close minded and insisted on getting their animal out whole instead of trying something different resulting in them taking way to long to get their animal broke down and cooling.

Sitkaspruce
09-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Sigh! Thanks for reviving my thread and reminding me of our lack of success on cutting our moose tags last year. Of course this year we didn't get any tags so will be hunting deer only and so will have no need for gutless.

Best way to learn the gutless method is practice and a deer is nice and easy way to practice.

Cheers

SS

The Silent Stalker
09-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Gutless all the way. Learn on a deer or two, gutless is way easier, less mess to deal with at camp or home. Can't see myself gutting a deer, moose or elk now I've done it this way.

Rackem
09-07-2013, 11:52 AM
I have not tried the "gutless" method, but I essentially do the same process for deboning the animal...when I have it home.

Deer are not heavy, and I have not shot one in a terribly hard or far away place before, so, I gut, drag to the truck, put it in the back, drive home and hang it, then skin it, let it hang in the cooler for a week or two, then debone it...I don't get any dirt and very little hair on my meat.

I do the same thing with moose but have had a winch to get it into the truck, and I quarter it...I have tarps to put the quarters on and drag...again, lucky that I had a four by four truck that could get into the area...

If I had to pack it out, of course I would debone it in the field...but my dogs would be mad at not getting the bones..

Moose Guide
09-07-2013, 07:30 PM
watched someone do gutless method 100 meters from road huge waste of time and meat be a man pack the damn thing out

I don't gut the animal=20 min saved- I don't split it down the back bone=5-10 min. saved- I don't have to try and load it whole or hang it whole=more time saved! Where is the waste of time? If meat was wasted it was done wrong!!!!!! I only lose the soup bones and that thin strip between the ribs, on a moose when I'm done taking the belly meat you can see the guts through the membrane!!!

sheepsheen
09-07-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't gut the animal=20 min saved- I don't split it down the back bone=5-10 min. saved- I don't have to try and load it whole or hang it whole=more time saved! Where is the waste of time? If meat was wasted it was done wrong!!!!!! I only lose the soup bones and that thin strip between the ribs, on a moose when I'm done taking the belly meat you can see the guts through the membrane!!!

Can you take the ribs in the gutless method?

Moose Guide
09-07-2013, 07:48 PM

I only eat pork ribs so I don't take them but if you want to you can chop them loose with an axe after the rest is done.

ROY-alty33
09-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Tried and true regular gutting for this guy. Watched a ton of youtube videos trying to figure out gutless method, and I think until i see it done in real life not going to get it. The biggest problem I cant figure out is how to keep proof of sex and trying to get at the tenderloin.

Sitkaspruce
09-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Tried and true regular gutting for this guy. Watched a ton of youtube videos trying to figure out gutless method, and I think until i see it done in real life not going to get it. The biggest problem I cant figure out is how to keep proof of sex and trying to get at the tenderloin.

See my post #71.

Evidence of sex is easy, just skin out each nut sack or teat and leave it attached by conective tissue. Getting the tenderloin is easy as well, cut the tissue between the hip and ribs, reach in and feel for the tenderloin. Cut the back end (hip and just slip your fingers/hand in between the spine and the tenderloin and start pulling it away from the spine, cut off at the rib end and remove.

I cannot recomend practicing on deer enough. Easy to deal with and once you get the idea, you can move up to bigger game.

Either way works for hunters, and the results are the same, meat in the freezer.

Cheers

SS

Sniperdan
09-16-2014, 10:51 AM
I only recently came across guys talking about the gutless method and I am intrigued! Wish I had seen this prior to last years Elk hunt when we had 3 on the ground at last light. Took us all night to get them out and skinned. Would have totally loved the gutless method at that point. Going to give it a go on this years hunt which starts this Thursday. Sorry to revive this old thread again. lol

adriaticum
09-16-2014, 11:00 AM

Last year I took the BCWF new hunter course and we did a gutless on a calf.
They were going to leave the tenderloins but I took them out and I had never gutted a calf before.
I watched this video several times and I felt I knew what to do.
They gave me the tenderloins to freeze and take home and I, of course, forgot them in the freezer :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGCAY5Amvn4

Gateholio
09-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Yes- 2 ways. Cut rib bones with saw or hatchet to take out slabs of ribs, or cut meat out between the ribs with a knife.

Gateholio
09-16-2014, 12:48 PM

last moose we got had the decency to drop right beside the road!

Doing the gutless method got our meat into the back of the truck and cooling within an hour, leading to great quality meat. None wasted ! And as a bonus no mess to deal with in camp!

smiley846
09-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Gutless method all the way. Shouldn't even be a question. Faster, cleaner, and more efficient. Anyone suggesting otherwise is stubborn and hasn't tried the gutless method

Avalanche123
09-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Gutless all the way.

MikeH
09-17-2014, 07:46 PM
I do gutless, quarter, back straps and go.Only time I bring whole animal out is a deer.

kendoo
09-17-2014, 08:47 PM
I like to gut, quarter & pack. Never ever saw the people at the slaughter plants do the guttless method & they do hundreds a day. I bet they have zero waste. 2 years ago I came across a bison that was done gutless & there was lots of good meat left behind. Ribs alone would have made a dozen bbq meals for my family. If I had to pack 2 or 3 miles then I would debone. I like to hang my quarters in a cooler for 10 days if possable & then I cut my own meat up.

Gateholio
09-17-2014, 09:22 PM
]
I like to gut, quarter & pack. Never ever saw the people at the slaughter plants do the guttless method & they do hundreds a day. I bet they have zero waste.

They have the luxury of a conveyor and many people doing individual jobs. :)

There is zero waste when doing gutless, if done correctly.

2 years ago I came across a bison that was done gutless & there was lots of good meat left behind. Ribs alone would have made a dozen bbq meals for my family.

That is the result of the person choosing to leave the ribs, not the gutless method. It's easy to remove the ribs via gutless.

. I like to hang my quarters in a cooler for 10 days if possable & then I cut my own meat up.

You can still do that with gutless. Just leave the leg bones in.

Scobo
09-18-2014, 02:03 PM
If I have to pack gutless, no brainer. If I can get to with a truck or quad I quarter (preference is a chainsaw with cooking oil or a good bone saw or axe). I get lots of sausage meat off the ribs and neck that I prefer to take make use of...and you gotta get through the guts to get to the best part regardless (the tenderloin). I also find that it seems to hang better in quarters with not so many spots for fly's to get into.

E.B.
09-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Once you do a couple of gutless, and then go back to gutting you will realize that gutting is a complete waste of time.
Gutless all the way.

Exactly, been doing it gutless for 15 years. Unless you enjoy gutting and hauling lots of unnecessary weight around there is no reason for it.

Ubertuber
09-19-2014, 11:06 AM
You don't have to go through the guts to get the Tenderloin. They sit in a pocket with easy access once the rear leg is removed. Just reach in, twist a bit and remove. No touching guts required.
We always take the ribs, liver, and heart last. I use pruning snips to cut the ribs for removal.
Guys that think the gutless is a waste of meat probably don't butcher their own meat. At first glance the small amount left behind on the bones may appear like a waste of meat, but it's no more than a butcher leaves on the bones back at the shop.
If you want to do it the hard way, keep gutting and quartering...each to their own.