PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Chick survival this year across B.C.

switchback
07-01-2012, 03:26 PM
It has been a wet spring on the lower Coast the constant rain is said to be hard on grouse chicks. I have not seen any grouse chicks, only mature birds. I was wondering how the grouse chick survival is this year in other parts of B.C. so far.:?:

Ourea
07-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Always have seen the quail chicks out first week of June here........have yet to see the first clutch of the year so far!?
It is obviously going to be a tough year for game birds with all this precipitation.

switchback
07-02-2012, 05:36 PM
I just saw a pair of Quail with about 16 fussy wallnuts running around them. Duncan B.C. It has been raining off and on the last few days. They were on the edge of an open gravel road so they could move around and feed without getting soaked.

"A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such". ~John Holmes

Blair
07-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Two cold wet springs in a row. Could be hard on the overall populations. I hardly saw any grouse where I hunted last fall. This could be a lot worse.

coach
07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Always have seen the quail chicks out first week of June here........have yet to see the first clutch of the year so far!?
It is obviously going to be a tough year for game birds with all this precipitation.

I saw some freshly hatched quail a few weeks ago running around my neighborhood. Haven't seen them, or any others, since.

Gunner
07-03-2012, 08:41 PM
I do not expect a good year for grouse,pheasants or quail in the North Okanagan.I have not seen a single grouse chick and most years we have 3 or 4 broods around our place. Gunner

switchback
07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I do not expect a good year for grouse,pheasants or quail in the North Okanagan.I have not seen a single grouse chick and most years we have 3 or 4 broods around our place. Gunner

My neighbor works as a logger drives a long distance on bush roads every day (almost across vancouver Island) and back.
He starts at 4.00 am and gets back at 4.00 Pm. He says he is seeing hens with only one chick in their brood.

Marlin375
07-05-2012, 12:18 PM
I was up around Sicamous last weekend (might be the wettest place in BC) and I ran into 2 hens with full broods of little Bear McNuggets, the only thing I thought was that they should have been bigger by now, may be the wet has delayed the first hatch?

finngun
07-05-2012, 12:23 PM
marlin--may be the wet has delayed the first hatch?///can that be 2nd hatch allready?:?:

Summit 512
07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Last weak end I went morrel hunting south of Vanderhoof and saw three groups of grouse. One hen only had one chick and the other two had three each. None were very old

field marshal
07-05-2012, 01:07 PM
marlin--may be the wet has delayed the first hatch?///can that be 2nd hatch allready?:?:

If a grouse hatches 2 broods of chicks in 1 nesting season it means she lost ALL of her 1st hatchlings!!!!
If even 1 chick survives, she will not nest again that season!!! It is an old wives tale to suggest grouse raise 2 broods to fledge in 1 Spring and Summer season!! Cheers----Field Marshal.

one-shot-wonder
07-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Tons of quail hatching at low elevation, run into broods with many chicks every day.......higher elevation for grouse, not sure the same can be said.

Marlin375
07-05-2012, 02:52 PM
If a grouse hatches 2 broods of chicks in 1 nesting season it means she lost ALL of her 1st hatchlings!!!!

That explains the wifes tale. I have seen a hen tending fledglings right into September, I remember wondering if they would be strong/smart enough to make it through the winter, and why the hen would hatch a brood so late

springpin
07-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I've seen lots of grouse and chicks this spring. And last spring was a wet one also. Last year was a great season for blues and ruffed.

curly_fishr
07-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Saw a hen with one chick on the way up the west side of Harrison .

bc kid
07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
went for a tour on the side by side with my son .saw lots of hens no chics

SavageShooter
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Just got off the mountain scouting for Mulies and saw a nice big Blue hen with 3 chicks, they were tiny, I would only guess about a week old, still a little fluffy.
SS

popsy
07-05-2012, 08:08 PM
A little slow on the quail around Vernon, but saw first pheasant chicks JUNE 28 and some today. 7 in first bunch and 10 today. All about 4-5 inches tall

new trigger
07-16-2012, 11:31 AM
At Quesnel Forks July 4 and saw only one hen with 5 chicks all week. Aggressive little thing charged me from behind and spooked me a bit, never saw chicks before then, and what a show she put on.

new trigger
09-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Sept 1st in 6-1 with my dad saw 3 coveys of 4 to 7 birds in each and came home with 6 in the bag.Wasn't expecting to see as many as we did, lots of younger ones still growing their feathers under wing and neck.
Anyone ever made jerky?

Mik
09-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Tons of quails around here, but I have yet to see any grouse.

nwalter
09-05-2012, 09:24 PM
up north of FSJ saw 2 mature ruffies and 6 possibly 8 rustlling babies in the bush and on the other side several spots with that distinctive cooing. This was about 2 weeks ago.