PDA

View Full Version : Canada In The Rough

Big Lew
07-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Just watched the 'Canada In The Rough' episode filmed in Keremeos and am pretty sure I've hiked into part of the same area....anyone else think they have been up there as well? I also saw sheep, and a lot of blue grouse, but no big bucks. It wasn't a very compatible area for my preferred style of bow hunting.

HuntNmemories
07-01-2012, 09:08 AM
No have not hunted this area, but we stopped for fresh fruit last September while on a tour of the lower interior area. Beautiful country and it looked more like long range rifle area. Enjoyed the episode on Canada in the Rough this am too.

cliff
07-01-2012, 11:28 AM
No have not hunted this area, but we stopped for fresh fruit last September while on a tour of the lower interior area. Beautiful country and it looked more like long range rifle area. Enjoyed the episode on Canada in the Rough this am too.

A few years back seen a few good bucks under the rocks on top of crater

dino
07-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I keep missing the episode, anyone know how I can get a copy?

dino
07-01-2012, 12:02 PM
A few years back seen a few good bucks under the rocks on top of crater

Like this one
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/DSCF2065.jpg

houndogger
07-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Pretty interested to know how all these BC fellas know the boys from the rough? Sounds alittle sketchy to me...

Ambush
07-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Pretty interested to know how all these BC fellas know the boys from the rough? Sounds alittle sketchy to me...
"Sketchy" is in how?

coach
07-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Are you calling out some of HBC's most popular members?? I thought the Keremeos episode was exceptional -
as was the two part goat/sheep episode.

Big Lew
07-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Did I miss something "houndogger"? I didn't read anywhere in this thread where anyone suggested knowing anyone associated with the "Canada In The Rough" show.

pnbrock
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
i have shared email and spoken with the biesleys at various events ,does this make me shady?

tracker
07-02-2012, 06:46 AM
alittle sketchy !!! good one , Shaker is more than that !!!

Bc Deer Hunter
07-02-2012, 07:34 AM
I keep missing the episode, anyone know how I can get a copy?
X2 would love to check it out! Anybody?

Brambles
07-02-2012, 09:31 AM

I'm interested why you think its sketchy that BC residents made friends with someone from out of province? In fact lots of people all across Canada have the same relationship with the brothers. Whats the sketchy part?

alittle sketchy !!! good one , Shaker is more than that !!!

I believe that is libel

houndogger
07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Would like to know how many years these fellas were friends before the hunts? Or was it hey I will trade you this for that and we are friends??? Surprised the CO's haven't been knocking....

r106
07-02-2012, 10:25 AM
houndogger - You should have some facts or some kinda proof before you start accusing people. Uneducated accusations make you look foolish

I met Kieth Besly at huntfest. He was hanging out with the guy's from the Keremeos hunt. They seemed like friends.

bigwhiteys
07-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Whats the sketchy part?

Commercial Use of the resource, which requires use of a guide? TV shows are on the radar and there is pressure from certain organizations to scrutinize some of these permits a little harder.

GoatGuy
07-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Guys like houndogger have been turning up the heat on the permits to accompany. Latest is there are too many hunters in BC....

I'm sure it will hit an official agenda pretty quick.

deer nut
07-02-2012, 11:54 AM
i have shared email and spoken with the biesleys at various events ,does this make me shady?

No...but being on this site does! Welcome to the club! :smile:

bigwhiteys
07-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Guys like houndogger have been turning up the heat on the permits to accompany.

It's pressure from GO's as last year alone there were 21 permits to accompany that had a TV show based on the hunt. These TV shows are commercial business ventures or are they not?

Rubicon500
07-02-2012, 12:30 PM
I kind of have to agree , If you are hunter hosting someone and they are a commerical bussiness venture like a TV show it shouldnt be allowed.

Big Lew
07-02-2012, 01:15 PM
I kind of have to agree , If you are hunter hosting someone and they are a commerical bussiness venture like a TV show it shouldnt be allowed.

We're getting off topic, but I agree as well.
"houndogger"s post, 'Pretty interested to know how all these BC fellas know the boys from the rough? Sounds alittle sketchy to me...' was miss-interpreted by some of us, including myself. If he was referring to the hunting hosts using the excuse of 'just hunting with friends' in order to circumvent having to hire guides, then I can see it being a concerning issue like "bigwhiteys", "Rubicon500", and "houndogger" suggest.

Gr8 white hunter
07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
I would like to see these so called hunters come over to the island and do some real hunting no farms, game ranches. do the homework and see how good they think they are GOOD LUCK!

SHAKER
07-02-2012, 02:19 PM
In case your wondering, I've known the boys for a few years now and they appoched us about it. We recieved no $$$, gifts, meals or fuel from them. We did this as an experience to do somthing fun with our friends nothing more. We talk on a weekly baises and shared some great time on the mountains together and will continue to do so in the future. Just because they filmed a couple lonely "residents" sharing the mountains they call home shouldn't get everyone's feathers in a ruffle. Real hunting with real people... what a refreshing change! JMO. Oh yeah, we contacted the CO's about this before any kind of aplications were put forward and they thought it was a wonderful idea. Glad some of you enjoyed it and yes it's great to have friends from other parts of the country...... I'm probably going to try for my Eastern Turkey next spring.

pnbrock
07-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh ya I met shaker at huntfest ,crap now I'm super shady!! I say keep up the filming nice to see locals spotlighted on my favorite cable show !!

TheProvider
07-02-2012, 02:37 PM
I havent seen the episode myself but have no problems with it. Good for you Shaker for taking out your friends hunting. As for the GO's not liking it well why wouldn't they? Thousands of people watch the show and thousands of those people are non bc residents. Those non residents that now want to hunt in BC will now be googling outfitters to book a hunt here. Basically free advertisements for BC hunting abd BC GO's.

Hunting has ways for you to make great friends from all over the world. Can't discriminate what those friends do for employment.

Brambles
07-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Oh ya I met shaker at huntfest ,crap now I'm super shady!! I say keep up the filming nice to see locals spotlighted on my favorite cable show !!

Well you took me fishing so something gotta be wrong with your head... Lol

pnbrock
07-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Crap I forgot about u brambles!! I'm a bad man!!!!

pnbrock
07-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Well I gave it some thought it was ok to take famous Brambles fishing because he left his film crew at home !!

Brambles
07-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Well I gave it some thought it was ok to take famous Brambles fishing because he left his film crew at home !!

But I did take pictures.......your a baaaaad man!!!!! And you ate some sandwiches that I brought so your gonna go to hell now!!!!!

SHAKER
07-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I havent seen the episode myself but have no problems with it. Good for you Shaker for taking out your friends hunting. As for the GO's not liking it well why wouldn't they? Thousands of people watch the show and thousands of those people are non bc residents. Those non residents that now want to hunt in BC will now be googling outfitters to book a hunt here. Basically free advertisements for BC hunting abd BC GO's.

Hunting has ways for you to make great friends from all over the world. Can't discriminate what those friends do for employment.

Thanks..... your right I make a living from hunters of this country, not just B.C. We also requested that NO advertising be done in our behalf for our game karts or my taxidermy business. The local fruit stands got more of a plug then we did. LOL

I've told the guys this several times and will tell all you this... Canada in the Rough is watched and respected by hunters and non hunters alike. It's a refreshing change in hunting shows that are commonly show today thats all about the kill. I talk to lots of people who watch the show that don't hunt but now have a new outlook and respect for what we do and bottom line any non hunter that agree's with us hunting is a good thing. Paul B. had an oportunity to harvest a buck the next morning and passed on it. "We've had an awsome time and don't need to harvest every deer off these mountains, lets let'em walk." Myself knew that we made the right choice to hunt with these guys at that point. I don't need to defend what a great experience we had and have made some life long friends with Kieth,Kevin, Paul and Mike..... they even gave a happy birthday to my 4 year old boy....... need I say more. Class acts!

Big Lew
07-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks for offering such a good explanation and response "SHAKER", you've convinced me that the situation was a positive thing. I did notice that there wasn't advertising for your behalf, in fact even very little about the atv picked up at a local dealership. I have watched several 'Canada In The Rough' shows and they undoubtedly have the best and most healthy attitude amongst all the hunting shows. On several shows they weren't successful in shooting their targeted quarry while showing class in not trying 'hale mary' or low percentage shots. They seem to show their experience, good or bad, without excessive editing. As an example, they showed the fellow missing his first shot and then getting the 4-point on his second shot. They also explain to their audience why they pass on the less than mature specimens while always empathizing the experience is mainly about getting out and enjoying the wild country, not just in shooting something. I agree that they are very good ambassadors for all our hunting sports.

fowl language
07-02-2012, 08:06 PM
jez, derek you had best reconsider going back east to hunt turkeys as it might not be ethical to hunt elsewhere in canada with canadian friends....dale

SHAKER
07-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks for offering such a good explanation and response "SHAKER", you've convinced me that the situation was a positive thing. I did notice that there wasn't advertising for your behalf, in fact even very little about the atv picked up at a local dealership. I have watched several 'Canada In The Rough' shows and they undoubtedly have the best and most healthy attitude amongst all the hunting shows. On several shows they weren't successful in shooting their targeted quarry while showing class in not trying 'hale mary' or low percentage shots. They seem to show their experience, good or bad, without excessive editing. As an example, they showed the fellow missing his first shot and then getting the 4-point on his second shot. They also explain to their audience why they pass on the less than mature specimens while always empathizing the experience is mainly about getting out and enjoying the wild country, not just in shooting something. I agree that they are very good ambassadors for all our hunting sports.

When my kids pre-school teacher tells me she watches the show every week just to educate herself on what we do (and educate herself on what her student talks about), obviously they're hitting the right target audience not just use gun and bow fanatics of the world. They actually want to show the episode in the classroom for pre-schoolers to show the non- city life. Feel pretty damn proud of that guys!

bigwhiteys
07-02-2012, 08:32 PM
You guys are missing the point. It's not about feeling good and being ambassadors for hunting. That's Great. But 21 permits to accompany were issued last year with TV shows based on the hunts. This is obvious commercial use of the resource for which there are tenured areas that are supposed to provide outfitters certain protections over the commercial activity occuring in their tenure especially with respect to hunting. It will change, they are already applying pressure.

SHAKER
07-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm going to close my lip right now....... see you tomarrow.:twisted:

TheProvider
07-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Let them apply pressure, if not on this issue it'll just be about something else

houndogger
07-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Guys like houndogger have been turning up the heat on the permits to accompany. Latest is there are too many hunters in BC....

I'm sure it will hit an official agenda pretty quick.
LOL I never turned up nothing just asked a question!

GoatGuy
07-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Commercial Use of the resource, which requires use of a guide? TV shows are on the radar and there is pressure from certain organizations to scrutinize some of these permits a little harder.

Guess that means anyone who films a hunting show in BC must hire a guide. Even people who are residents.

Maybe we should regulate people who make money writing magazine articles as well.

Sounds familiar, not surprising. Personally, I'd be more worried about the apparent 50% decline in moose (and quota), but I guess shiny objects sometimes mean money. Trivial pursuit.

papaken
07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
They didn't take money, they didn't advertise their products, they did not hunt illegally or unethically. The few times I have spoken with and dealt with them I have found them to be very honest and nice guys. Thought the show was very good and showed hunting and BC in a favorable light. Lighten up!

scoutlt1
07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
I must be missing something...
Isn't it a good thing, especially for a GO, for there to be as much "exposure" as possible? Doesn't that attract more potential customers for them?
Maybe every GO should pay a small royalty to every TV hunting show that is filmed in B.C..... :-)

bigwhiteys
07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Guess that means anyone who films a hunting show in BC must hire a guide. Even people who are residents.

Sounds familiar, not surprising. Personally, I'd be more worried about the apparent 50% decline in moose (and quota), but I guess shiny objects sometimes mean money. Trivial pursuit.

You are twisting statements. Some were confused by posts made earlier in the thread... I only commented to clarify a little. If someone was a resident of BC filming the hunts and doing the killing then there wouldn't be much of a case, we don't require GO services for any of our hunting activity. Non-Residents do.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-03-2012, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=SHAKER;1173549] Oh yeah, we contacted the CO's about this before any kind of aplications were put forward and they thought it was a wonderful idea. QUOTE]

Same here. BCrams emailed the head CO for clearance before any plans were set in place.

If they change the rules and require Canadian based TV shows to hire a GO in BC, then I doubt we'll see much of BC in the future as most shows don't make enough profit to pay that kind of coin. The exceptions will be the guys who started with money and then added a TV show later....eg HuntTV.

SSS

BCrams
07-03-2012, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=SHAKER;1173549] Oh yeah, we contacted the CO's about this before any kind of aplications were put forward and they thought it was a wonderful idea. QUOTE]

Same here. BCrams emailed the head CO for clearance before any plans were set in place.

If they change the rules and require Canadian based TV shows to hire a GO in BC, then I doubt we'll see much of BC in the future and most shows don't make enough profit to pay that kind of coin. The exceptions will be the guys who started with money and then added a TV show later....eg HuntTV.

SSS

Correct. Actually followed up with a couple and met face to face with one of them. The 2nd expressed at the end of the conversation with a grin that the provincial government loves the television exposure the shows bring to "beautiful BC"

07-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Both shows have been well done and with those involved putting their reputation on the line ........ that said, many get jealous and try to read between the lines ........

there will always be the ( bitchers and complainers, the wish it were me guys ), to SSS , BC Rams etc ...... this most recent Mule Hunt, well done guys. I enjoyed your shows,
and thanks.

CT

Ambush
07-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Well done hunting TV may well do more for the case of hunting than all other avenues open to us. People get to see hunters enjoying the beauty that wild places offer and most importantly they see hunters respecting the land and the game. Free, great publicity. Many non or anti-hunters see us as beer bellied, hairy, dirty, dumb, knuckle draggers out blasting at everything in sight in hopes of wounding something enough to skin it alive.
You may never sway an anti hunter, but you can put non-hunters on our side.

Some hunt TV is just dumb, some are little more than advertising, info-mercials, and some are offensive.

Canada in the Rough is a class show, particularly since the Beasly Bros have taken it over. The GO's should be paying them for every BC show that they air. Nothing but good can come from it. 21 permits!!?? Wow, that will sure cut into the GO's budget. Especialy since most would not have bought guided hunts anyway.
I have always supported a viable guide industry in BC, because it helps to convince the government of the financial benifits to keeping hunting going strong. But if they are going to bitch about this free advertising, that benifits them, then I'm done. I'll have to go "Devil Bear" on the GO's.

I wonder if the B Bros would be interested in doing an archery moose hunt on film?

Big Lew
07-03-2012, 08:43 AM
As usual, there are 2 sides to most stories and now that this filmed episode has been discussed and all the preparation explained, including thoroughly checking with COs and getting their unanimous approval as well as all the appropriate permits etc. I can't see where there is any problem at all. I also commend "SHAKER" and his Dad for stepping forward to make this happen with such a class act as the "Canada In The Rough" boys. Done properly, as both B.C. shows were, it is the best advertisement possible for hunting and exploring 'Beautiful B.C.' we could ask for, and it didn't cost the taxpayer as well.

coach
07-03-2012, 08:46 AM
I have always supported a viable guide industry in BC, because it helps to convince the government of the financial benifits to keeping hunting going strong. But if they are going to bitch about this free advertising, that benifits them, then I'm done. I'll have to go "Devil Bear" on the GO's.

Well said, Ambush!

The Hermit
07-03-2012, 09:07 AM
If I was a GO I might be willing to provide a free hunt in exchange for plugs on the show, which I'm sure most of them do when the opportunity is there.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Very well said Ambush!!

Since CITR airs country-wide on Global, it has a chance for mass appeal to most regular canadians who might not get any exposure to hunting.

SSS

houndogger
07-03-2012, 10:38 AM
If I was a GO I might be willing to provide a free hunt in exchange for plugs on the show, which I'm sure most of them do when the opportunity is there.
That's what they do if they want to get exposure.

07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Gotta give another "Shout out" To you Shaker, i saw that episode again. I walked in every step those guys took, it flashed me back to some hunts i loved. Where they shot that buck i put the EXACT SAME stalk on the biggest Three i have ever seen..... too bad fer me it wasnt a 4! The show is very enjoyable as a whole Canada in the rough is 1 of 2 hunting shows now aired on Regular TV, that in itself has to say something. Good on you all.

All you guys worrying about 21 shows coming to BC, Really. 21 animals shot,,, you are worrying about that? People bringing our sport into the public?
Talk about greed..... really. The things some people have said here about the guide industry here really makes me think to never support them. Good thing there is more good out there.

Rubicon500
07-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Good for the sport or not , I think thats abusing the Hunter Host permit. I belive the hunter host permit was set up mainly for family or close friends , not a Televisoin show trying to save a few dollar on production costs. If they are such good friends , why wouldnt they just come tag along on a hunt and film it for there show ? I dont know , I know no harm was intended by the whole thing , I just dont thinks its right.

coach
07-03-2012, 01:00 PM
I saw a whole lot of positive in all three episodes. For those of you that have issues with this - how are you being negatively affected?? What's the point of your bitching and complaining? Hunters should be working together to grow and continue our sport. CIR and the BC residents who participated in the episodes did everything by the book. No rules were broken. CO's were consulted. What's the point of stirring the pot??

bigwhiteys
07-03-2012, 01:05 PM
All you guys worrying about 21 shows coming to BC, Really. 21 animals shot,,, you are worrying about that? People bringing our sport into the public?

I am not worried nor does it affect me. I don't even have cable :) It's 21 permits to accompany with a TV show based on the hunt not necessarily animals killed. GO's see that as money being taken out of their pocket by non-residents who are using a loophole in the system to hunt in BC and film it for TV shows. All I did was add some perspective to this thread because nobody seemed to understand why anyone would refer to it as "shady".

07-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Bigwhitey,

I get your perspective for sure, But how many of those permits to accompany were Guides taking them out? making deals for free hunts to get the advertising? I know that is not wrong or illegal but im sire it takes that number down some.

Either way, i see nothing wrong with it. I think guides who have a problem with it shouldnt either. 21 animals to me is way smaller then road kill

bigwhiteys
07-03-2012, 03:15 PM
But how many of those permits to accompany were Guides taking them out?

None...

making deals for free hunts to get the advertising?

Doubtful... Some do I am sure but it's not like a scramble to see who can give away free hunts to get on TV. They book hunters where the money hangs out... Typically that's not the couch.

huntcoop
07-03-2012, 03:17 PM
... 21 animals to me is way smaller then road kill

In BC I bet 21 are road killed each day.

Good2bCanadian
07-03-2012, 03:40 PM
I emailed the show when I first saw it.
They took the time to respond.
We chatted about how the show is about the hunt and not the kill.

I like these guys, good respectful Canadian guys.
Lets be proud.

blueboy
07-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Good for you and your dad Shaker, as i enjoyed the show.

GoatGuy
07-03-2012, 04:00 PM
You are twisting statements. Some were confused by posts made earlier in the thread... I only commented to clarify a little. If someone was a resident of BC filming the hunts and doing the killing then there wouldn't be much of a case, we don't require GO services for any of our hunting activity. Non-Residents do.

Not singling you out, just find it funny how this suddenly
becomes a problem.

Between this, all the pressure on houndsman, and guys like Stan renting horses it's pretty pathetic.

Sign of the times.

boxhitch
07-03-2012, 05:21 PM
GO's see that as money being taken out of their pocket by non-residents who are using a loophole in the system to hunt in BC and film it for TV shows.GOABC point of view or someone elses narrow outlook ?

Balance those 21 animals with all the BC animals donated by G/O to out-of-country organizations as promotional or fundraiser items, of which a fraction of value comes back into BC, and the argument could be called a wash.

houndogger
07-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Good for the sport or not , I think thats abusing the Hunter Host permit. I belive the hunter host permit was set up mainly for family or close friends , not a Televisoin show trying to save a few dollar on production costs. If they are such good friends , why wouldnt they just come tag along on a hunt and film it for there show ? I dont know , I know no harm was intended by the whole thing , I just dont thinks its right.
At least someone understands and is not trying to turn this into a guide bashing. I for one am all for hunter host. Still don't think a few face to face meetings to become friends or what ever to try and make it legit counts????

Stone Sheep Steve
07-03-2012, 07:46 PM
I wonder how many black bears were in those 21 tv shows?
I know at least 3 in 2011 were goats...Beasly plus 2 Melons.

SSS

Vanguard
07-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Ok putting all that aside, is there any way we can watch the episode for all the ones who missed it like myself? I was excited to see it because I too hunt in that area once in a while, its cool to see it on tv.

TheProvider
07-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Does anyone know when the new regs come out? I need to look up the definition of "Friend."

Ambush
07-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Does anyone know when the new regs come out? I need to look up the definition of "Friend."

The rules don't stipulate "friendship". You can legaly host someone that you even hate.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-04-2012, 06:22 AM
You can legaly host someone that you even hate.

I guess that includes inlaws too.

SSS

The Dude
07-04-2012, 06:42 AM
Gotta give another "Shout out" To you Shaker, i saw that episode again. I walked in every step those guys took, it flashed me back to some hunts i loved. Where they shot that buck i put the EXACT SAME stalk on the biggest Three i have ever seen..... too bad fer me it wasnt a 4! The show is very enjoyable as a whole Canada in the rough is 1 of 2 hunting shows now aired on Regular TV, that in itself has to say something. Good on you all.

Talk about greed..... really. The things some people have said here about the guide industry here really makes me think to never support them. Good thing there is more good out there.

The Land of the Mutant Three Points.
That place is ridiculous. And you only see 'em in 4-point season, cuz they're 4 years old and more.

SHAKER
07-04-2012, 08:55 AM
At least someone understands and is not trying to turn this into a guide bashing. I for one am all for hunter host. Still don't think a few face to face meetings to become friends or what ever to try and make it legit counts????

Hope your not referring to me with that?

Stone Sheep Steve
07-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Here are the eligibility requiements for the person who is to be accompanied. Pretty straight forward. For those of you who think that the applicants had to be friends first, it is obvious that you've never read this section?
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/accompany_hunt.html#eligibility

Applicants may accompany either or both:

A non-resident - a person who is not a resident of British Columbia but who

is a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident of Canada; or,
Has his/her sole or permanent residence in Canada and has resided in Canada for the 12 month period immediately prior to the date of this application.

A non resident alien (a person who is neither a resident nor a non resident) whose relationship to the applicant falls within the following categories:

Father;
Mother;
Spouse;

Brother;
Sister;
Father-in-law;

Son;
Daughter;
Mother-in-law;

Uncle;
Aunt;
Son-in-law;

Nephew;
Niece;
Daughter-in-law;

Grandson;
Granddaughter;
Brother-in-law;

Grandfather;
Grandmother;
Sister-in-law.

NOTE: “COUSIN” is NOT an accepted relationship

Restriction of hunt area:

Applicants are restricted to hunt within ONE Region with a choice of three Management Units (M.U.s) within that Region.

GoatGuy
07-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Pretty straightforward stuff, the trick is all the panhandlers looking for their cut.

Same thing went on a couple years ago with the premier's permit for sheep. The ram was consistently coming out of an unallocated area (no outfitter) and a few of the neighboring outfitters still wanted $$ because it came out of their region..... and of course they weren't asked to guide and knew how much the hunters were paying.

riflebuilder
07-04-2012, 06:22 PM
I have known the Biesleys for a couple of years they are stand up guys.

BCrams
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
wonder when enough will be enough.....not like the go's don't get more quota than any other group in north america already.. then on top these shows only highlight their products....unfortunate that some are so short sighted, a large number of go's get the bigger pic, only a few squeakly wheels seem to cause the problems , perhaps that is why goabc is imploding????

Grin - you just have to ignore the folks who are crying fowl over those hunts. They're in the minority. It was a great time and great experience!

GRIZZEZE
07-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Personally I don't think that production costs are the only reasons why TV shows want to hunt with locals instead of guides. I would much rather watch a show that has the crew hunting with locals instead of guides, because that is what most people that hunt do. Very few of us can afford to go on a guided hunt or for that matter would even want to. There is much more pride in getting the animal that you are after on your own than with the help of a professional, and the same goes for TV shows, and the ratings show.
Even hunts like Africa, or anywhere else in the world, do not apeal to me because I have to hire someone to take me out. If I ever go on a exotic hunt, I would be very tempted to ask the "guide" if he could just simply follow me around, while I hunt for my intended game. I think that there would be much more satisfaction, at least for myself.

You always see on this site, at the end of the guiding season, the guides bragging about all the animals that they got for the clients, yes the pics are impressive, and the hunters seem happy, but is it really the achievement that they were after? Mabey, mabey not. Noth something that I am interested in, at least at this point in my life.

And why is it that 21 permits were given out to TV shows is a big deal, when thousands of permits are given (may be purchased, I don't know) to guides and outfitters to sell wildlife (that do not belong to them) every year is not?
That seems a little shady to me.

coach
07-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Grin - you just have to ignore the folks who are crying fowl over those hunts. They're in the minority. It was a great time and great experience!

Exceptional episodes - capturing the true spirit of hunting in British Columbia. Thanks, BC Rams, SSS and Shaker. I've pvr'd all three episodes and love to show them to my hunting and non-hunting friends. All who have seen them are equally impressed. Kudos!

SHAKER
07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Exceptional episodes - capturing the true spirit of hunting in British Columbia. Thanks, BC Rams, SSS and Shaker. I've pvr'd all three episodes and love to show them to my hunting and non-hunting friends. All who have seen them are equally impressed. Kudos!

Well thank you! just try'd to have some fun with friends showing my back yard doing what I do for fun. Nothing more nothing less.

Believe me I really don't need to be getting out of bed a 4a.m to go hike mountains in Novermber but I'd do it anyways...... I did the same tour solo without a rifle (tagged out) for four days strait a few years ago, the wife (now ex) though I was nuts but we all knew that!

SR80
07-05-2012, 06:57 AM
I thought both shows were great also, I saved the sheep/goat hunt episodes and have watched them a few times now.

thehammer
07-05-2012, 07:37 AM
I have been out hunting and fishing since I was small enough for my dad to take me Pheasant hunting with me on his shoulders. I live for hunting and fishing but watching it on TV is a real snooozer, IMO! Anyway just my thoughts and back to the regular scheduled programming.

rem338win
07-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Whiny sniveling tits is what I hear. Glad you all had fun hunting, and I am sure it was a hunt amongst friends with a camera along. If the GO's and the other snivelers dont like it they can PUFO.
Abuse of the system hey.....I am sure all of those whining make sure they pay every red cent of tax they should according to the rules as well......

07-05-2012, 03:36 PM
ibtl,,,,,,,,,,

Elkhound
07-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I just recently learned Pigeon was off the show. Now I have to watch again. He was the reason I stopped tuning in.

d6dan
07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I just recently learned Pigeon was off the show. Now I have to watch again. He was the reason I stopped tuning in.

He's still the main host and the BB boys are co-hosts. He just doesn't show himself anymore.:lol:

Elk-Aholic
07-05-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm just throwing this out here as the devils advocate but I find it funny how some people hack GO's for guiding non-residents (therefore taking away from resident opportunity) and then flip a switch and support others who 'guide' non-residents of BC and say that's ok. A little hypocritical if you ask me. No matter how you look at it, it's a non-resident of BC harvesting an animal in BC. Some of you have gotten your feathers quite ruffled in previous threads about GO's and non-resident harvests. Time to start the popcorn!

On a side note, I have no issues with the CITR crew and am not singling them out or hacking them. Sure they are good guys though.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-06-2012, 07:37 AM
I'm just throwing this out here as the devils advocate but I find it funny how some people hack GO's for guiding non-residents (therefore taking away from resident opportunity) and then flip a switch and support others who 'guide' non-residents of BC and say that's ok. A little hypocritical if you ask me. No matter how you look at it, it's a non-resident of BC harvesting an animal in BC. Some of you have gotten your feathers quite ruffled in previous threads about GO's and non-resident harvests. Time to start the popcorn!

From my experience here on HBC people complain about GO's when....
1)- quotas are too high on a limited species..eg sheep all over the province
2) quotas are too high when residents are on LEH...eg Reg 4/8 moose
3)-when GO's go out of their way to give residents a hard time or restrict access.

Most resident hunters don't have an issue with GOs going about their business, minding their own business on a species that is not "limited".

Permits to accompany are not given out for sheep anywhere in the province or for any species where residents are on LEH in that area.

SSS

urbanhermit
07-06-2012, 12:26 PM
it was refreshing to see a hunt where i have hunted, not a bad episode at all. thanks shaker.
my favourite hunting show would be watching someone strangle Stan Potts with Tiffany Lakoskys Bra and underwear.......

Elk-Aholic
07-06-2012, 11:03 PM
From my experience here on HBC people complain about GO's when....
1)- quotas are too high on a limited species..eg sheep all over the province
2) quotas are too high when residents are on LEH...eg Reg 4/8 moose
3)-when GO's go out of their way to give residents a hard time or restrict access.

Most resident hunters don't have an issue with GOs going about their business, minding their own business on a species that is not "limited".
SSS

I won't bother getting into quotas and really take this thread off topic. I also know residents who give other hunters a tough time and try to restrict access so I guess that street is two ways, either way it's wrong. There's always a few bad apples in every group and it sucks, takes attention away from the good people out there. And I guess in a GO's mind, every species is "limited" to them due to their quota's and restrictions. I find it puzzling how they can't stay political and be a voice as they are fighting for their livelihoods due to constant cutbacks. I'm just putting myself in their shoes and if the rumour and likelihood of cutbacks (ex/ your wages, co-workers, permits, etc) started at the place you work at, would you just sit there and take it and possibly loose your job? I know I wouldn't. Now back to the topic:

I have watched and read on this site how people complain that GO's "take away resident opportunity". Also seen it said first hand in meetings by people from this website. And I won't name bash, but I'm sure you know who they are. Yet these same people have given props to these type of hunts. I was giggling to myself how some people view things 'differently' when it affects them or the people they know. Almost two faced hypocrites if you asked me. Just making it apparent to them is all.

For the record, I'm not singling or calling you out SSS or knocking the CITR crew and their hunts. I'm just merely calling those people out who whine and complain about GO's taking away animals from residents and then those same people flip a switch and support a non British Columbian resident harvesting an animal in BC. Doesn't matter if we are talking deer, bear, elk, moose, goat, sheep, etc. No matter how you look at it, it is a possible resident opportunity being taken away. An apple for an apple, orange for an orange. Knowing that those hunts were done under the law and the lawful rules of fair chase were followed, I have no issues what so ever with the hunts. Enjoyed watching both eposides. However, things are getting interesting as they are marketing and selling these hunts for a profit, but that's a whole different story all together......

SHAKER
07-07-2012, 09:26 AM
I won't bother getting into quotas and really take this thread off topic. I also know residents who give other hunters a tough time and try to restrict access so I guess that street is two ways, either way it's wrong. There's always a few bad apples in every group and it sucks, takes attention away from the good people out there. And I guess in a GO's mind, every species is "limited" to them due to their quota's and restrictions. I find it puzzling how they can't stay political and be a voice as they are fighting for their livelihoods due to constant cutbacks. I'm just putting myself in their shoes and if the rumour and likelihood of cutbacks (ex/ your wages, co-workers, permits, etc) started at the place you work at, would you just sit there and take it and possibly loose your job? I know I wouldn't. Now back to the topic:

{I make a living from "resident" hunters and anglers of this province so I guess thats why they sell shoes in pairs???? but back to topic discussion.}

I have watched and read on this site how people complain that GO's "take away resident opportunity". Also seen it said first hand in meetings by people from this website. And I won't name bash, but I'm sure you know who they are. Yet these same people have given props to these type of hunts. I was giggling to myself how some people view things 'differently' when it affects them or the people they know. Almost two faced hypocrites if you asked me.
Just making it apparent to them is all.

{??? not even sure how to respond to this?..... So did I take away G\O opportunity??? not sure what your getting at here... I the boys wanted another guided hunt with some fancy outfit they would have but they didn't and wanted to hunt with some regular guys, doing what regular guys do!}

For the record, I'm not singling or calling you out SSS or knocking the CITR crew and their hunts. I'm just merely calling those people out who whine and complain about GO's taking away animals from residents and then those same people flip a switch and support a non British Columbian resident harvesting an animal in BC. Doesn't matter if we are talking deer, bear, elk, moose, goat, sheep, etc. No matter how you look at it, it is a possible resident opportunity being taken away. An apple for an apple, orange for an orange. Knowing that those hunts were done under the law and the lawful rules of fair chase were followed, I have no issues what so ever with the hunts. Enjoyed watching both eposides. However, things are getting interesting as they are marketing and selling these hunts for a profit, but that's a whole different story all together......

{Actually everyone had the opportunity to harvest that Deer if they wanted... GOS. People get pissy when those with the big $$$$ can play but poor o'l trailer trash like me have to put my name in a hat. So just a thought here but IF a hunt was filmed with a G\O it would be perfectly acceptable for them to make profit on it?}

dutchie
07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
I must be missing something...

nope... this is called the off season blues! happeneds every year around this time... just wait till the sheep hunting starts!

Dutchie

Elk-Aholic
07-08-2012, 11:13 PM
{Actually everyone had the opportunity to harvest that Deer if they wanted... GOS. People get pissy when those with the big $$$$ can play but poor o'l trailer trash like me have to put my name in a hat. So just a thought here but IF a hunt was filmed with a G\O it would be perfectly acceptable for them to make profit on it?}

Yupp, every resident had an opportunity to harvest that deer and any others out there pending a season warrants it. Same goes for many other species in this wonderful province. The people who have made the big $$$, first off, good for them as I'm sure most of them have worked their butts off and that they're willing to spend it in the hunting industry. I think it's great that people are willing to spend their dollars hunting doing what they love, opposed to keeping it locked up in a bank account. However, we also have the same opportunity to make big $$$ too and also buy a hunt or go on a vacation, just boils down to how hard one wants to work and how many sacrifices you need to make to get there. I'm no different than you, another trailer trash boy trying to survive, name also goes into a big hat and never comes out....still waiting for the day I get drawn. But with all the GOS season's in BC, you can hunt any species with an over the counter tag in this province......I'm spoiled as a BC resident. Sure I'd love to hunt Kamploops Sheep, but the reason Kamploops sheep has the "hype" about it is because of LEH. If it were GOS, the hype would be gone in a year or two due to harvest. So one just has to adapt and go hunt a GOS area for sheep or whatever speices one wants to hunt.

{So just a thought here but IF a hunt was filmed with a G\O?} Glad you asked it. So if this hunt happened with a GO, would you view it differently with a non-resident harvesting that animal through an outfitter? Would others have the same support and praise if it were through a GO opposed to a resident guiding the Beasley Boys..................just saying and putting things into perspective for those GO bashers out there who live quite the two-faced life.

SHAKER
07-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Don't be knock'n on my work ethics cause I won't spend $50K to shoot a Mutton behind my house their Elk your gett'n way off topic and not make'n me happy this morning.

and your right the show probably would have been viewed differently done with an outfitter. "Another, everyday, pro-guided hunt....Yawh, shut if of, time to get up and do something else."

Big Lew
07-09-2012, 08:24 AM
If the film (or show) was done in the same respectful manner as most done by the Beasley brothers, it wouldn't matter to me at all as long as everything was done legally and projected a true non-staged hunt. Despite what some might think, I don't have a problem with Guides and Outfitters in general, only with a few that are non-residents with bad attitudes against resident hunters, or those that flagrantly break the laws. If I could afford it, I would love to either go on a quality guided hunt or use an Outfitter to gain access to isolated areas. I would even enjoy using either outfit to just explore the back-country. As long as the rules and laws are followed I don't see it any different than all the other legal variables such as shooting sticks, bows, crossbows, baiting, moving decoys, etc.

houndogger
07-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Funny how the three involved in this are part of the bashing crew...lol

pnbrock
07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
This thread is gettin dumb. Leave our members alone jealousy is not good reason to dump on a few. I hope they are on more shows I liked them , I will watch them again!Don't worry bcrams , SSS,shaker I got your backs !

Blainer
07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
This thread is gettin dumb. Leave our members alone jealousy is not good reason to dump on a few. I hope they are on more shows I liked them , I will watch them again!Don't worry bcrams , SSS,shaker I got your backs !
x2
must say I agree,enjoyed the shows

coach
07-09-2012, 07:03 PM

X3. It's gotten absolutely ridiculous! Disgusting, really.

Gateholio
07-09-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't see this as any different than meeting a out of province hunter online like on HBC and hosting them to go hunting. You may not be best friends for 10 years but I don't see how it violates any rules or ethics or the spirit of any rule.

Much ado about nothing.

Rubicon500
07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
If your using a hunter host program either party shouldnt be benefiting fianically from it. The BC boys didnt receive any moneys etc , they are good guys I know that. CITR on the other hand are running a bussiness , so they should be hiring a G/O to film there hunts here. Like it or not the Outfitting world is a bussiness run like everything eles , its someones livelyhood. You guys have no problem selling our water , trees , oil , etc but holy the mighty guide outfitter is the devil. CITR took around 25-30 grand in reveune away from outfitters(Schneider sells mule deer hunts for 7500 each). Id have no problem at all if they just came here and filmed some BC boys hunting for there program , kind of do the lancaster thing , film others hunting. Its not getting disgusting its stating a point of view on the whole thing. No one has been bashed , not everyone on HBC is a big happy family , so many members on here act like they are all saints and its a giant brotherhood PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE A DIFFERNCE OF OPPINION.

SHAKER
07-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I agree this is getting dumb... they chose us, instead of you. HA HA... suck it up.

Gateholio
07-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Why should they have to hire a guide? The guides don't own the animals or the land. All they have is the right to guide hunters for money in a certain area.

Rubicon500
07-09-2012, 08:19 PM
I agree this is getting dumb... they chose us, instead of you. HA HA... suck it up.

Nah thats alright I dont need my 15 minutes of fame on TV nor do I need my ego stroked. I have no problem with the BC boys , I think its a loop hole in the hunter host program and should be changed , they should make the whole hunter host thing Family memebers only and no commerical ventures allowed.

pnbrock
07-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Getting dumber!!

SR80
07-09-2012, 08:44 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going on! So dumb!

Rubicon500
07-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Why dont you contribute something or just not post , like really saying "getting dumber" and "I cant belive this thread is still going on so dumb" is just making you look 12. I have a view on the whole situation and I have discussed it with alot of others regarding the show(S) and many feel the same way. Its not an attack to the BC boys , I know 2 of them they are great guys and they thought everything over before hand, I just dont think commericial ventures that arent BC residents should be harvesting animals without paying the piper. I dont care if you live in Ontario or California if your going to come here , shoot some animals on film you should be paying the the Guides to take you on such. And Shaker try watching some Sheep hunting videos , I have seen around 40 dvds and none are this "pro guide yawn turn it off" that you speak of , I dont watch much tv so cant judge shows on there.

pnbrock
07-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Get over it dude no laws were broken it was done for our enjoyment. Post up some of your hunts for us to bitch about!

scoutlt1
07-09-2012, 09:13 PM
This one's still going on?? :???:

Been said before, and I say the GOABC should pay a royalty for all the guided hunts that will be generated because of the show.

(Sorry...shoulda just left this alone...)

Brambles
07-09-2012, 09:43 PM
....ibtl.....

r106
07-09-2012, 09:48 PM
What sh*t thread. Isn't there a HBC rule about not slamming people for hunting in a lawful way?

They were great shows and showed our sport and province in a positive way. Great job Shaker, BCrams and SSS I really enjoyed the shows and with out you guy's it wouldn't have happened

No laws were broken.
End of story

The Hermit
07-09-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm all for having a BC resident take ANY Canadian out to enjoy a hunt in our great Province, just as I'm happy to visit other parts of OUR great Country and hunt with locals! The fact that my fellow Canadians make some coin filming their hunts and in so doing promote the Province is good for tourism and the guiding industry in particular when aliens are willing to pay to play!

Elk-Aholic
07-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Don't be knock'n on my work ethics cause I won't spend $50K to shoot a Mutton behind my house their Elk your gett'n way off topic and not make'n me happy this morning.

and your right the show probably would have been viewed differently done with an outfitter. "Another, everyday, pro-guided hunt....Yawh, shut if of, time to get up and do something else."

Not knocking your work ethics at all, read it wrong. Just merely pointing out that those people willing to save and spend $$$$$ on hunts, good for them. Everyone has different morals and views on how they want to save and spend their money. Sure who doesn't want to go to Mexico or wants to get a new pickup truck, others would rather save every penny for hunting. I won't spend 50K either for sheep either, I'll keep applying thru LEH but at least the option is there for me to hunt mutton elsewhere. You're right, back to topic.

I'm just pointing out those who hack GO's and their guided hunts should be very careful on how they can flip a switch to judge similiar hunts (yours and the goat/sheep hunt). It's a guided hunt no matter how you look at it, no different. [And in my previous posts, I enjoyed watching both episodes with the CITR crew's]. And obviously I threw salt on an open wound with a few people in this site. Maybe some saw the light and figured it out, however I wont hold my breath they got the point. -E-A out!

Elk-Aholic
07-09-2012, 11:02 PM

hahahahhahahhhhhhahahaha nice with the jealously but obviously you haven't read thru the posts or this thread as no one is jeaslous about the hunts. I'll say it again, good for the HBC guys hunting with the CITR crew. Read the reply above in the previous post as I am done with this thread. -EA out

GoatGuy
07-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Deal with a couple of the issues.

First, most of these shows don't have the $ to pay outfitters. Most of the shows don't make money; other than expenses a lot of the hosts are not paid. There are a handful of shows that have the $ to do these hunts and pay the hosts. Second, outfitters all over the province donate hunts all the time, so the 'loss of revenue' is kinda funny. Most of the shows that are filmed with g/os are either freebies or on a significant discount. Some of these hunts were in resident only areas and the harvest only comes from areas where it is sustainable and generally what are unallocated species.

The funniest part about this, is that these shows are huge promoters for hunting in BC. Showcasing hunts in BC definitely benefits outfitters in BC as there are residents of Canada that book in BC and a few of these shows are pretty close to breaking onto the sportsmen channel in the US.

If anything it's a net gain for hunting in BC, hunting in general and even outfitters.

Lastly, there are very few who are anti-outfitter. To sum it up, the 'issue' is that over the last 30 years some outfitters have continually accessed more and more of resident allocation. When conservation dictated a reduced harvest that came out of resident hunters pockets. That is the 'problem'. The follow-up problem is that the integrity to stick to a handshake and move on with creating more wildlife has been abandoned. Although the industry is changing from hunters with outfits to 'wannabe outfitters' that are still plenty of folks who are in it for all the right reasons. The issue is the hunters who run outfits aren't being heard when it comes to these issues that result in resident-outfitter conflict.

Anyone who's in the loop will notice outfitters in Regions 1 and 2 (who were at the allocation table and agreed to the policy in 2007) have essentially walked away from the association and are out on their own. Some great outfitters like Stan Lancaster have cashed in their membership and other long-standing outfitters have walked away from being actively involved in the last year for all the same reasons.

One other irony is the 'commercialization of wildlife' has always been about the guide or outfitter getting paid to provide a service. It's funny when it's the hunter that might make a buck off of it (and the outfitter doesn't). Does that mean residents can't make a buck off selling a hide or cape anymore? Writting articles in a magazine? Or only to canadians? So the guy that comes on the permit to accompany can never make a dime writing his story in a magazine, selling the pictures or selling antlers, hide? Guess it isn't much different then when a couple outfitters threw BC trappers under the bus for the 'commercialization of wildlife' as well.

There's other ironies wrapped up in this thread but it's probably not worth getting into that debate. Guess the bottom line is whenever there's a buck to be made there's always someone shaking an empty cup looking for a free ride.

A couple black bears, goats and deer definitely seems far more important than a 50% decline in moose..............................

bigwhiteys
07-11-2012, 08:05 AM
First, most of these shows don't have the $ to pay outfitters. Most of the shows don't make money; other than expenses a lot of the hosts are not paid.

And that's the rest of the worlds problem? lol... Lots of businesses don't make money... Then.... They go bankrupt and dissapear...

Second, outfitters all over the province donate hunts all the time, so the 'loss of revenue' is kinda funny.

The revenue generated from donated hunts is pretty large and benefits conservation as a whole.. that shouldn't even be a comparison. These donated hunts are rarely FREE they are auctioned off to the highest bidder or the occasional hunt is won through a raffle. They can also get tax benefits for any actual outlay of cash from their donation (expenses incurred to provide the donation).

Guess the bottom line is whenever there's a buck to be made there's always someone shaking an empty cup looking for a free ride.

Yep... That pretty much sums it up right there.

In case your wondering, I've known the boys for a few years now and they appoched us about it.

Sounds like shaking that empty cup to me.

pnbrock
07-11-2012, 09:05 AM
boy i wish this kind of enthusiasm could go towards the stopping the over harvesting of animals with the special groups.this is over a mere 20 permits.seems like a small issue if i was asked .

rocksteady
07-11-2012, 09:07 AM
IBTL,,,,

Amazing how such a simple post (original) can spiral down hill into a such a terrible slag fest....

Flush the handle and move on til the next turd shows up....

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2012, 09:17 AM
And that's the rest of the worlds problem? lol... Lots of businesses don't make money... Then.... They go bankrupt and dissapear...

These shows aren't standing there holding the cup. Adding a large "unecessary" expense to any business is not a good business plan.

In reality it's the hunters who enjoy watching these shows that will pay the biggest price for these shows going bankrupt.

The only ones left will be those shows whose hosts started with deep pockets.

SSS

Big Lew
07-11-2012, 02:00 PM
IBTL,,,,

Amazing how such a simple post (original) can spiral down hill into a such a terrible slag fest....

Flush the handle and move on til the next turd shows up....

Does anyone remember my original post?.....Just watched the 'Canada In The Rough' episode filmed in Keremeos and am pretty sure I've hiked into part of the same area....anyone else think they have been up there as well? I also saw sheep, and a lot of blue grouse, but no big bucks. It wasn't a very compatible area for my preferred style of bow hunting. A few posters actually answered that they had...:smile:

GoatGuy
07-11-2012, 02:13 PM

The revenue generated from donated hunts is pretty large and benefits conservation as a whole.. that shouldn't even be a comparison. These donated hunts are rarely FREE they are auctioned off to the highest bidder or the occasional hunt is won through a raffle. They can also get tax benefits for any actual outlay of cash from their donation (expenses incurred to provide the donation).

Yep... That pretty much sums it up right there.

Sounds like shaking that empty cup to me.

Not an accurate picture of what's gone on the past couple years, but it isn't really worth going into.

Let's bring your argument to light and try to apply it.

What you're saying is these people who have hunting shows and are hunting with hosts is an adapted form of commercialization because there is some sort of financial/economic benefit to be had by the hunter..... not the host.

So, your website there are likely some benefits, free gear for product testing, click-throughs, sponsors and write-offs. Now these benefits are certainly due to the fact that you hunt in BC. According to your argument that is the commercialization of wildlife because you are benefiting from the hunt, despite the fact you are not paying someone to take you hunting.

Now are you trying to say that that is OK because you live in BC?

Or is there some other perverse argument to be made.

bigwhiteys
07-11-2012, 02:42 PM
What you're saying is these people who have hunting shows and are hunting with hosts is an adapted form of commercialization because there is some sort of financial/economic benefit to be had by the hunter..... not the host.

They don't make these shows for free, and they sure as sh!t don't do it to lose money. They found a loophole.

So, your website there are likely some benefits, free gear for product testing, click-throughs, sponsors and write-offs. Now these benefits are certainly due to the fact that you hunt in BC. According to your argument that is the commercialization of wildlife because you are benefiting from the hunt, despite the fact you are not paying someone to take you hunting.

My website does have benefits and it's upkeep costs me time and money but I don't think my blogging could be compared to non-resident guiding.

GoatGuy
07-11-2012, 02:54 PM
They don't make these shows for free, and they sure as sh!t don't do it to lose money. They found a loophole.

I know quite a few of these guys and for the most part these shows have been net losers for years, no wages paid to hosts. That is the reality. Most of the guys doing it have other 'real' jobs. It isn't a 'loophole', a permit to accompany is 100% legal. The only way it would become illegal is to change the Act.

My website does have benefits and it's upkeep costs me time and money but I don't think my blogging could be compared to non-resident guiding.

Hahahaha, it isn't guiding if you aren't getting paid to take someone out. Remember, the guide gets paid to show the client around, not the other way around. What you're suggesting is the hunter can't make any money unless they're paying a guide. If you want to call it 'commercialization' that means anyone who sells a cape, antlers, is paid for writing an article in a magazine, is a pro staffer or sponsored would be 'commercial' and should therefore require a guide.

Looks like this is a one-way street. You can make money off your hunting adventures but no one else can. Good for some entertainment... you've made my day.

bigwhiteys
07-11-2012, 03:36 PM
It isn't a 'loophole', a permit to accompany is 100% legal.

I never called it illegal. I think most business owners utilize loopholes whenever it's to their advantage. Nothing wrong with that. This one had the light shone on it from the airing of the shows months ago... Not this thread on HBC.

Looks like this is a one-way street. You can make money off your hunting adventures but no one else can.

That statement would hold a lot more water if I were shopping my filmed hunts with non-residents to TV networks. Then the comparison would at least be accurate. My content is free.

Good for some entertainment... you've made my day.

Cackle away.

huntcoop
07-11-2012, 04:02 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3529qf.jpg http://static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gif

BlacktailStalker
07-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Now the guys with shows married to Tiffany and Pam on the other hand have loyal viewers for one reason and one reason only lol

Deeboe
07-12-2012, 07:11 AM
I saw the episode and thought it was fantastic.... seemed like a classy bunch of boys.

Gateholio
07-12-2012, 11:33 AM
My apologies to the OP. When this thread started going into the ethical debate I should have deleted the comments and told them to start their own thread if they wanted to discuss how using the hunter host program to host TV shows is immoral..:roll:

Anyways, it's a little too late for that now, sorry.

Big Lew
07-12-2012, 01:26 PM
My apologies to the OP. When this thread started going into the ethical debate I should have deleted the comments and told them to start their own thread if they wanted to discuss how using the hunter host program to host TV shows is immoral..:roll:

Anyways, it's a little too late for that now, sorry.

No problems...it's been interesting and quite entertaining, although I still wonder how many others have stomped about where the filming took place,lol :smile:

07-12-2012, 01:58 PM
No problems...it's been interesting and quite entertaining, although I still wonder how many others have stomped about where the filming took place,lol :smile:

I stomped in the exact place they took thier deer many times. Once at the top of that steep bit you could follow the tree line untill you ran out of mountain.
All the views, every bit of that show was a walk in the past for me. I loved it.

GoatGuy
07-13-2012, 12:59 AM
I never called it illegal. I think most business owners utilize loopholes whenever it's to their advantage. Nothing wrong with that. This one had the light shone on it from the airing of the shows months ago... Not this thread on HBC.

That statement would hold a lot more water if I were shopping my filmed hunts with non-residents to TV networks. Then the comparison would at least be accurate. My content is free.

Cackle away.

So it depends on whether the content is free or not?

If it were available online and the compensation the show hosts received was all from sponsors, such as your website, that would be OK?

6pt_elk_wannabe
04-15-2013, 10:35 AM
that was an amazing episode, its always good to see some bigger deer being pulled out of the areas we all know and love
cheers!

40incher
04-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Too bad you and the ol'boys don't take the same stance on assisted fishing that you did on assisted hunting (packing). The packing industry helped resident hunters get in to the backcountry and harvest some game. You the rest of the good'ol'boys helped shut that access down.

When the saltwater fishing-lodge industry kills 70% of the halibut allocation and not a word is said that's OK, even when BC residents lose their access to harvest a halibut for half of their original season because of that.

Time to stop pissin' in your own cornflakes.

aggiehunter
04-15-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm quite sure most of you would be overjoyed at having some newbies take everybody and their dog to what was once a great hunting spot and then film a show there....