PDA

View Full Version : Wife's First Mulie Story...

brotherjack
11-09-2006, 11:28 PM
So, early early this morning, long before all the lazy road hunters were up and around, The Wife and I head up into the mountains in search of mulies. Hiking in before daylight, legs burning, we get positioned way up the mountainside looking down on an area we're almost 100% certain will hold some bucks come daylight. Get comfy, setup spotting scope, let heart rate slow down and sweat evaporate, etc.

About 10 minutes after my GPS says we're into legal hunting time (but still pretty darn dark if you ask me), we watch a truck drive up and park about half a klick down the hill from us (where I had parked the day before when I had the hillside to myself, actually). Doors slam. 30 seconds... Ka-BOOM ... slight pause ... zoooowwwweeeeeeeee..Ka-BOOM.... kind of spooky, as we heard the ricochet well before we heard the shot. Dang it, I think - so much for todays hunting...

But, as we've already hiked clear up the dang mountain in the dark, there's no sense in going home just yet. We sit and watch as the pre-dawn light slowly illuminates the mountainside until we can see more clearly the whole herd of mule deer down below our position. Oh, sweet - doe in heat, right there. Must be half a dozen bucks down there. Through the spotting scope I start checking them out. Three or four 3 point's, several 2 points, and ... hey, that guy there looks bigger than the rest. Oh yes, 4 points I see!

By this time, the hunter from down the hill is looking up at the deer with the glass, as is another hunter who's pulled up about half a click to our right and somewhat down-hill. As the next truck comes pulling up onto the hill, my wife says "to heck with this, I'm gonna go kill that deer."

The second she stands up, big boy gets a little spooky, and slowly heads off into a draw away from my wife. As I'm watching through the spotting scope, I figure out why - someone's blown a headshot on this fellow. One ear is hanging free and flopping in the breeze. He knows camo and guns spells trouble for him.

But, he no sooner gets a tree between himself and my wife, and he stops and goes back to looking longingly after the doe that's got all the bucks drawn into the area to begin with. Using the tree for a visual shield, my wife makes her way down to around two or three hundred yards away from the deer. As close as she's going to get without trying to cover open ground. Since that's going to take a while as spooky as he is, I put down the binoculars, and go back to the spotting scope watching the deer. Yep, definitely got a free hanging ear.

Without warning, well ahead of my expected timetable, a gunshot. The deer looks up. Second gunshot a few seconds later, and the deer does that classic 'heart-shot kick' and bolts out of view of the spotting scope. Yikes - I'm supposed to be making any possible tracking job easier by watching him in the binoculars to see where he goes in case he gets out of sight of my wife! A quick scramble later, I find him in the glass just in time to watch him tip over, mabye 25 yards from where he was standing when my wife shot him. The whole herd of mule deer with him just stand around looking stupid till my wife chases them off.

Well well well, sometimes it does pay to wake up earlier than the next guy! Three different hunters come out of the woodwork and come over to chat, and happily none of them were upset - they were all either looking for bigger deer, or in one case was our downhill shooter checking to see if we had shot the same buck he had shot (at?) earlier (nope, different deer - no doubts).

And that, as they say, was that. First mule deer my wife ever got - not a super-monster, but easily big enough for the likes of us meat hunters. I paced off the shot at approximately 190 yards. She said she only missed the first shot because she thought she was more like 300 yards (we need a rangefinder!), and had held the point of aim too high - second shot was textbook perfect placement. She's batting two for two now - last two times I took her hunting, she's shot a deer. Not bad for a girl with an old .303 British, eh?

Anyway, stories without pics are bad, so here's a pic:

http://xjack.org/hunting/md1-06.jpg

Bigbuckadams
11-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Good story and nice buck! Congrats to your wife !

huntwriter
11-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Congrats to your wife on a nice mule deer and a great story.

WoodOx
11-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Nice buck, and good story. Shes had a great season!

besides the apparent infestation of hunters, looks like pretty nice area in the photo!

Dieseldog6
11-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Way to go! Looks like he's a 4x3 . . ?

Also looks like you had the warm air left over from the pineapple express that passed over us yesterday.

Mr. Dean
11-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Having 20 billion men goggling over a pic of your wives rack on the world wide web...........PRICELESS!

Cheers!

WhitetailKilla
11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
congrats to your wife enjoyed the story

Robert_G
11-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Didn't she just shoot a whitetail a few days ago?

WoodOx
11-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Having 20 billion men goggling over a pic of your wives rack on the world wide web...........PRICELESS!

Cheers!

***** that was well said.

rocksteady
11-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Congrats to the wife..I think it's time she got her own handle on here and told her side of the hunting stories......

She's a killin' machine....What critter is next on her to-do list????

sawmill
11-10-2006, 05:02 PM
You realize if you piss her off,you can`t get over the hill before she knocks you down:eek: Great deer and great season!

brotherjack
11-10-2006, 06:32 PM
LOL - yup; I'd never make it out of sight if I got her mad - she's an awesome shooter with any sembalance of a rest. I wouldn't put a 500+ yard shot past her, if she had a range finder so as to know exactly what the hold-over should be.

Yeah, she killed a whitetail last time I took her out hunting (less than a week ago). Except for a bear or driving to a region with a greater than 2 deer agregate limit (neither of which we're likely to bother with at this point), she's all tagged out for the year - elk, whitetail, and mulie all three. Nobody in our house is going hungry this winter. :)

The area is goregous - it does get hunted pretty hard on the weekend (when I usually avoid it like the plague), but during the week I can usually have the area more/less to myself - always the odd road hunter well after first light, but very rare to see anyone foot during the week. I was really shocked to see all the hunters that day.

And my wife actually has her own computer, but she rarely boots it up more than once a month to pay bills and delete her e-mails without reading them. So you guys are probably stuck with reading my ramblings instead of hers.

sawmill
11-10-2006, 06:39 PM
You are a Cranbrook man?I believe we may have met.What do you do for a living?I`m working at Orchard Park,building houses for Liemans.

Will
11-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Great Smile...Great Deer !
Can't beat that, Congrats :smile: