PDA

View Full Version : Spike Fork Moose GOS

wonshot
06-30-2012, 07:01 PM
As one of the many that put in for LEH's this year and have drawn nada, I have been scouting new areas around the Merritt, Kamloops and Clearwater areas... But as the price of gas doesn't really support driving to do endless amounts of scouting in the pre season I am reaching out in the chance that fellow hunters of HBC might point a fairly new moose hunter into an area in either Region 5 or 3..... I'm not looking for anyones honey hole but any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Last year I went with my Dad to Mile 135 of the Alaska highway on some advice from a friend of my dad's but he said he hadn't hunted the area in 5 years and the oil and gas exploration up there had exploded. So after many days of heavy rain mixed with heavy traffice from the O&G workers we had no luck in the GOS for moose. So i have decided to try and hunt a little closer to home and see some of the beautiful countryside that we have in this province.

Thanks for your time ,

Wonshot

Glenny
06-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Region five is all LEH only. Merritt and Kamloops best option for you I would think.

lorneparker1
06-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Last time i saw a spike fork moose i saw this guy on the same trip

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/OgoPogo_crop.jpg/300px-OgoPogo_crop.jpg

wonshot
06-30-2012, 07:36 PM
right region 5 is all LEH my bad

palmer
06-30-2012, 07:43 PM
region 8 has some good moose spots as well....and I have killed two immys since 2001....

Slinky Pickle
06-30-2012, 07:45 PM
region 8 has some good moose spots as well....and I have killed two immys since 2001....

Nope, that's a lie. There are no spike forks in 8. Move along, nothing to see here! :)

But seriously, region 8 has some good spots and so does 3. Just pick a spot with trees, water and cut blocks, then start scouting.

Jelvis
06-30-2012, 09:29 PM
As long as you have pavement to drive on from home all the way up to region 3 there is a route to try for spike/fork bull moose.
The Coquihalla number 5. and the Number 1 to 97 @ Cache Creek. Either way is awesome.
We can go along way on pavement and pretty fast. All the way to MU 3-30 at Scottie Creek.
Or up the Coq to Logan Lake turnoff and Face/Paska .. Chuwells, Lodgepole.
Those are my picks.
Jel .. Good luck lookin large in BC Back Roads Maps are great also.

wonshot
07-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Time to do more scouting!!
Thanks for the help... Appreciated