11-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Mntman is getting ready to go cougar hunting by walking with no hounds:
1- he doesn't stand a chance
2- he'll spot one
3-he'll tag one out before it gets him
4- he gets tagged

mcrae
11-10-2006, 08:29 AM
I have shot two cougars in four years without dogs. I was mulie hunting and just happened across them. The spot I like to go is a vechicle road closure and there is lots of kitties up there. It was of course a complete fluke both times. I shot one crossing a road on the way in and the other one in some timber along a cut. I am one of those guys that buys tags for everything just in case:) I usually eat allot of tag soup at the end of the season.

Amphibious
11-10-2006, 02:36 PM
if he gets one sans-chien it will be quite the trophy. far more so then shooting something out of a tree.

ramcam
11-10-2006, 03:51 PM
I myself hope he connects, I shot an average size Tom two years ago. The cat and I were after the same deer.Yes a lot more thrilling than killing one out of a tree. GOOD LUCK.

Barracuda
11-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Amphibious---if he gets one sans-chien it will be quite the trophy. far more so then shooting something out of a tree

ramcam--I myself hope he connects, I shot an average size Tom two years ago. The cat and I were after the same deer.Yes a lot more thrilling than killing one out of a tree. GOOD LUCK

how so?

I am assuming you have invested several years into a dog (be it birddog,retriever, or hound for small or large game) and then hunted with it and felt dissatisfied with the endeavear.

Or is it because you perceive hunting with dogs to be less work?

Then the logic that anyone that uses a guide instead of doing all the research fieldwork and hours scouting does not have a real trophy because they paid someone to do those things, must hold true.

I happen to enjoy hunting with dogs (mine and other peoples)and find it very rewarding as do alot of waterfowlers,upland hunters and hounds people . I wouldnt say one was better then the other or more or less of a trophy then the other just simply different .

I personnally think that Mntman could locate a kitty and call it in or at least get its interest and find footprints just ouside his calling location.

mainland hunter
11-10-2006, 04:36 PM
i hope he does get one. i myself will use dogs hopefully this year. might get a chance with a friend of a friend's dogs but dont know for sure. from what ive heard chasing those dogs aint easy for cats. i went once for bear with dogs and it was quite a different hunting experience and alot of fun

Will
11-10-2006, 08:28 PM
I know a Few Fellas that have taken Cats without Doggies....mostly as Chance encounters while Late season deer hunting so I have to say YES it's doable and wish him Luck.

Just getting out there with the slight chance of success beats the hell out of sitting at home debating on whether it's possible or not, anyday :wink:

bsa30-06
11-10-2006, 08:42 PM
I know a Few Fellas that have taken Cats without Doggies....mostly as Chance encounters while Late season deer hunting so I have to say YES it's doable and wish him Luck.

Just getting out there with the slight chance of success beats the hell out of sitting at home debating on whether it's possible or not, anyday :wink:

This is exactly what i was going to say, thanxs for saving me the typing, and best of luck mntman.

BCLongshot
11-10-2006, 09:04 PM
I hope you get a big cat !

Amphibious
11-10-2006, 09:19 PM
how so?

dogs for big game do nothing for me. it is legal so I accept it as a useable hunting practice. a critter you get by your self is much more of a trophy to me then any chased up a tree by a pack of hounds. but to each their own.

black 'n blue
11-10-2006, 10:09 PM
To each his own for sure, but have you ever tried hunting cats with dogs? You may just like it if you try it.

ramcam
11-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Barracuda, I have hunted with a buddy numerous times and it is a lot of work but once we treed the cats I found it not that big of a deal to shoot them out of a tree. Every one has an opinion. a lot more luck is involved to get a cat with out dogs , for sure.

bayou
11-11-2006, 11:46 AM
I have seen cats all 3 ways tracking with dogs, tracking without dogs and well out driving or foot hunting other animals. The main fault I see with taking a cat with out dogs is not being able to identify what you are shooting way to easy to shoot a pregnant female or one with kittens. Now I no this happens with some people with hounds as well who must shoot what ever goes up, but at least in a tree you can identify the cat.

houndogger
11-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Who says you have to shoot them out of the trees????? Myself it is mostly just catch and release.8-)

bayou
11-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Im with you houndogger thats why I said " some people" you cant run them if there not there.

LeverActionJunkie
11-12-2006, 10:22 PM
I for one believe hunting with dog's no matter what the quarry, adds to the experience. Anyone who thinks it turns hunting into a shure thing or somehow makes it easier obviously hasn't tried it.

browningboy
11-13-2006, 05:38 PM
It sounds like a tough hunt, the odds are defineatly against you but if you can get some fresh sign, you never know, well what else does someone do that likes to hunt during the winter dulldromes, try cats I guess, but what do they taste like? Just the thought of it makes you wonder "bad chinese food?", no offense to anyone, just would have to get past that.8-)

mark
11-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Back to the original quo. My money is on NO. Ive been hunting deer country for 20 years. Seen 1, never had one in the crosshairs!

alremkin
11-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Well without dogs it's too tough. I say mntman comes back with a goose egg. Now if he actually gets one then I gues he really is Mountainman.

browningboy
11-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Well mntman, its almost the 15th, time to show your stuff, it'll be the toughest hunt you'll have as well as the most discouraging, if you go with the tom cat spray attractant and spray yourself good, hike with spike camps well like the others say, you'd be the MNTMAN!:lol:

The Hermit
11-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Unless he knows something I don't know then my guess is that he comes back empty handed. I'll be the first to say big congrats to a cat without dogs! I tried cougar once... its not too bad to eat!

GoatGuy
11-15-2006, 09:51 AM
I he puts in the time he might. Can't remember where but I think it was in Washington state where the shut it down with dogs. There were more cats shot after; all a hunter needs to do is pound bush until you run into a kill and sit on it. Apparently it works like a charm.

Buddy of mine has treed a couple just by tracking them on foot. Need the legs and some time to do it is all. Heck there's a guy in the EK who tracks wolves down on foot and does a hell of a good job in the winter.

Bayou's right about not being able to identify them. IMO that's the real danger.

browningboy
11-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, if the MNTMAN can track a cougar from a zero point, and make a kill, then yes, he will be a true mntman, all shall bow!:lol:

longhairmtnman
11-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Where does he plan to hunt? Has he hunted cougar before? If you put in the time, anyone can get a cougar.

browningboy
11-22-2006, 08:24 PM
I think the Mntman is planning on hunting the Merrit area (by pemainus lake), the dedication and determination is there, just a matter of getting out there, he also has the "special attractant" in which enables him to go around without being winded of human scent, got some real cool tricks up his sleeve, wait for the pics, or the mntman may be the pussy!:lol:

3kills
11-22-2006, 09:01 PM
there is some big cats up that way....