PDA

View Full Version : LEH moose 319 a .

308 win
06-29-2012, 11:49 AM
hey guys got a moose leh in 319 a . hunted there before but just muley and whiteys , any tips or advice would be great .!

Philcott
06-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Plan on two weeks and get your calling down.

Also plan to meet up with lots of Island boys. We're everywhere in the woods in the fall.

swampdonkey
06-29-2012, 12:20 PM
where do you plan on staying any idea oct or nov

308 win
06-29-2012, 07:09 PM
we are stayin at tunkwa lake resort , gona be there oct 5th i believe . 7 day hunt. one of my hunting partners has called in 2 big bulls before so my hopes are high. just no the area from a 4 day hunt last year but was thinkin greenstone mountain area just lower in the small lakes around there,?

cameron0518
06-29-2012, 08:58 PM
I prefer the tunkwa area personally. We saw 3 bulls in there on a 7 day hunt. Not too bad i thought. ( i only actually saw 2 of them)

Caveman
06-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Lots of good slashes and swamps on the east side of Chewells mountain. Lodgepole lake and south of there. I've had lots of success over the years through here

308 win
06-30-2012, 03:43 PM
well we plan on covering a bit of ground maybe the first 2 or 3 days or so try to find some sign or tracks . if we do prob stay in that area and call a bunch and see what we can bring in. any info any of you guys have would be great help. thanks cameron0518 and caveman

Darksith
06-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I'd try and be there oct 1, thats usually the best time to call. I wouldn't do the cover lots of ground thing, I would get into a swampy area, setup and call. Spend the morning there, if nothing talks to ya then find a new spot for the evening. Do this 3 or 4 days you should have your moose.

308 win
07-01-2012, 06:08 PM
well we kinda have the dates set and cabin booked gona be oct 5 , there for 7 days cant really change that. thanks for the tip darksith that sounds like a good idea. ill def try that. was gona be just a deer trip to start but now that i got the leh moose is gona be the target. any deer seen is just a bonus. thanks

308 win
07-01-2012, 06:10 PM
was wondering cameron 0518 what you ment buy the tunkwa area,? i travelled thoes roads a bit didnt really see much country that was moose country seemed a bit higher and dryer.!

308 win
07-02-2012, 03:49 PM
sorry guys made a mistake the cabin is booked for oct13 till 21st that is my hunt date in tunkwa ,

Jelvis
07-02-2012, 05:21 PM
October 13th and beyond eh. Any bull moose? They rut from Sept 23rd to October 4th then drops off a bit tapering down to mid October then out so you will miss the moose rut peak frenzy from September 23rd to October 4th.
Find some heavy bush and see the bull laying down trying to get some energy back after the fights and love makin he's cooked his bacon.
Some people will come on and say oh man I called moose in at the end of October. Whoopie do.
It's more like maybe lol.
Moose start stripping velvet in August and ready to rumble bone on bone by September 23rd and til mid Oct.
MU 3-19 is on the east of Duran Creek, Tunkwa is on the west side in 3-18. Right or wrong? Bang a Gong.
Duffy, Dairy and Wyse, Chartrand Meadows, Chuwells, Dominic, Greenstone, Cherry Creek, Face/Paska.
.Moose behind every spruce and monster muley bucks with huge thick necks. Habitat like no other place

308 win
07-02-2012, 08:16 PM
thanks jelvis, haha you make it sound easy. ya i figured the moose rut would be almost done at that point . but hopes are high, last year when we were at tunkwa in late nov we bumped into 2 different trucks with bull moose in the back just locals with a leh . so i figure if there still shootin then i got a good chance in mid oct. thanks for the areas.!

finngun
07-02-2012, 08:56 PM
LEH is not exactly same as meat in the freeser....:redface:!

Jelvis
07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
MU 3-19 leh is sought after by the moose meat lovers. Not only tons of habitat that looks better the more you see, you can see moose and some very skookum mule deer bucks in this MU.
No snow that early but hey the moose and deer are around, most of the leh'er's drive at first light what is called the circuit. Drive by Duffy Lake to or from the Durand Creek and around and up Dairy and up by Dominic then over to Wyse.
Some guys like driving around to see a moose. Some great looking hunting country all through here.
Never know when a deer or moose will show up on the side of the fsr.
Good Luck
Jel

6.5x55mm
07-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Make it easy for you. Very end of indian gardens road close to the power lines:razz:

Jelvis
07-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Make sure you know exactly where the MU boundary is where MU 3-19 Bucks up to MU 3-18.
See the defining boundary and find it then you won't make a mistake being so close to the boundary at Tunkwa.
Also one question if you would. What makes 3-19 A different then 3-19 B ..?
Please explain thanks, something to do with Highway. Which one?
Jel .. We're in Moose and deer hunting country supreme .. Wild County .. A Km from the Highway .. Savvy Naw SE/W

308 win
07-03-2012, 08:12 PM
319 a is tunkwa lake road to the coquihalla . east of coquihalla is 319 b. thanks jelvis thats great help , wondering also if we should bring maybbe a small alluminum boat just in case we see one in a spot only to haul out buy boat.?

Caveman
07-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Never hurts to be over prepared, but I doubt you'll use it

cameron0518
07-03-2012, 08:57 PM
well honestly, i won't give out many honey holes unless it is in an area i won't go back to. From the sounds of it, he knows where i am talking about if he saw a couple of bulls taken. who knows, maybe one of the trucks was me??
was wondering cameron 0518 what you ment buy the tunkwa area,? i travelled thoes roads a bit didnt really see much country that was moose country seemed a bit higher and dryer.!

308 win
07-04-2012, 06:38 AM
indian gardens is in region 318 , my region is anyhing east off tunkwa road. good muley area tho.!

Jelvis
07-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Great muley area for sure up from Cherry Creek on the Greenstone Mtn road. Go either way at the split corner a km up.
One way to Duffy and Dairy west or stay east and go up Chuwells way. Up over Greenstone by the tower and down to Dominic or on one of the splits. One goes down to Duran valley the other towards Chartrand Meadows.
Use to be old hunting club cabins up thar Matey. What does that suggest?
Jel .. This was burnt over country and has a few short road closures which have little signs saying so.

308 win
07-04-2012, 07:42 PM
thanks jelvis ,!you are throwin out alot of info but, ill print it off and make sure i no where i am whaen i get there . !

johnk
07-06-2012, 08:58 PM
If you can get a good look at Chartrand Meadows before the Immys open then you have a good chance of seeing a couple mature bulls and, if not, there is a landing 2k west of the meadows where you can access the drainage which the bulls usually get spooked into during heavy traffic.

A few other spots that need specific directions so PM me if you don't have a hundred options already.