PDA

View Full Version : reg. 8 scramble!!!

mark
11-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Well tomorrow is the last day for gunning a mulie! Ive been hunting my ass off lately, seeing 10 -30 deer a day. Out of that about 2-5 shitbucks a day! Usually by this time of year ive passed on 20 bucks or more, but ive only seen 1 big buck all year and had no shot :x . Ive been hunting kelownas westside and its been a gong show out there, so many guys racing around trying to slam one by tomorrow! Anyone else seeing similar situations out there? P.S. its been the slowest year for deer ive ever seen around here!!!

WoodOx
11-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Too bad I cut my region 3 tag so early! lol

Nooker77
11-09-2006, 10:36 PM
:roll: Cut my reg.8 tag yesterday....yippeeee!! It was the slowest season for me as well.....although these past 10 days have been awsome!! I passed on atleast 10 4pters last week!! Nothin bigger than 150! Tried to be patient after being so inspired by the"wanna shoot abig mulley thread!! lol :lol: Well Wed. I seen 4 or 5 different groups of does and they all had a buck with them!! I was on the way home down my little skid trail and out pops my 4pter!!:lol: Hes my best mulley....27 inch widest spread!! I'll have pics up next week!! Takin a buddy out to another hot spot to see if we can get the last minute buck....sure its going to be crazy out there!!! Good luck everyone else!!
Cheers:redface:

jjensen20
11-10-2006, 12:51 AM
Ive been hunting kelownas westside and its been a gong show out there, so many guys racing around trying to slam one by tomorrow! Anyone else seeing similar situations out there? P.S. its been the slowest year for deer ive ever seen around here!!!

Totally agree with you. i hunt the westide pretty extensivly as well and all i see are other hunters it's been like that since the second week of september. Latly i have been trying different areas of 8 but to no avail. I wont get out again this year in 8 except i might try to poke a small buck in the late season with the bow.

BCrams
11-10-2006, 01:09 AM
It doesn't matter if the crowds are out. You need to adapt your own hunting methods in order to have a chance at the larger bucks that have altered their own behaviour in response to hunting pressure.

Learning to know what to do under the circumstances can be your ace and you will score on a big buck.

valleycowboy
11-10-2006, 05:36 AM
lmao.mark,i have been out all week as well.where we normally see decent bucks,nothing!!!!!! i seen one tall narrow 4x4 on monday(i think he was lost,lol)passed on him.personal opinion,the weather.warm,not much snow.ohhhhhh welllllllll,one last kick today,if nothin,bow season should be real good!!!!! as for guys roaring around,i use them to my advantage.usually letting them run things around,that isn't even workin,lol.

mark
11-10-2006, 06:49 AM
5:45 am, im heading out for last day here. Have to admit my min. standards have lowered!

Marc
11-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Good luck mark! It's blowing a gale over here on the Island, I'm kind of glad I'm holding off to go until tomorrow.

dave_fras
11-10-2006, 06:57 AM
good luck to all you guys..... its 6am.... and im heading out to look for the one i nailed last nite...

Marc
11-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Good luck Dave, hope you find him.

sparkymacker
11-10-2006, 08:11 AM
I was going to go out today but the weather is really crappy, looks like fog again up in the mountains. We were out in that last weekend and it was a waste of time as you could not see 50'. I might go for a whitetail this weekend if the weather improves. I still have to go to Cranbrook this month on business, so I might give it another try for whitetail there.

bigelow
11-10-2006, 05:11 PM
It sucks, sat amidst 7 does this morning for 20 minutes on the watch all less than 80 yards no bucks. Only bucks I've seen were a 4 point less than ear width and several 2 pointers chasing does vigorously. Guess I'm not much of a hunter ( don't own a quad) maybe the biologists hit the rut on the head this year. C'est la vie!!! Maybe next year will be the year unless I travel or chase some whiteys.

Rainwater
11-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Yah everybodies rushin here and rushin there trying to get a big stinky old buck. Hope everyone had a good season, phew, now we can get ready for the bowseason.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Well, I looked at the weather channel before I left this morning at 5:15 and it said -1C and clear with afternoon rain and a high of 6C. I decided to take the TW200 as the area I wanted to get into is overgrown pretty bad. Just as I arrived it started to snow(HARD)! Oh well, I was already there:roll: . Hunted all morning and only saw does and fawns.
Finally, in the afternoon with the snow dripping hard out of the trees and the wind howling I decided to walk down an old road. A few hundred yards later and I was staring a nice juicy 4 pt muley(last day standards) just below the road. His a$$ was towards me and he was looking downhill. He then started to walk into the thick stuff so I let out a quick grunt to get him to stop. He stopped and continued to look downhill and I took a bead on the base of his neck. Just as I squeezzed he decided to trot away. A clean miss from 50 yds:redface: :mad: !!! Freezer's still empty so it's whities tomorrow.
Interesting ride home in that greasy snow:roll: ! (truck tomorrow)

It's been one of the slowest years for my taxidermist in many years so it's not just us. Full moon and warm temps during the last 10 days of muley season equals not many deer during daylight hours. I had a chance at a hawg a couple evenings ago but he stayed bedded behind some big alders until I ran out of daylight. Normally you would expect them to be up and moving in the last half hour of daylight.

At least I have a muley tag for bow season. Should be some entertainment.

SSS

sawmill
11-10-2006, 06:49 PM
God,I`m glad to hear I`m not the only one who`s noticed.My excellent spot(Private land and 5 good mulies in 5 years )is terrible this year.The does are scattered in little groups and only bucks are 2 pnt. dinks.!!!!It wasn`t winter kill or hunting pressure.Last fall I was pickin and chooseing from 9 bucks,4 legal and I took the biggest,this year there I haven`t seen a 4 pnt.It`s snowing hard tonite so maybe I get lucky tomorrow.

30-06
11-10-2006, 06:50 PM
well i went out today for the last night hunt..we got right to the back of the cut block.we were just going down this little gully we just looked up and there it was a nice 4-point.and 3 does. the buck ran down this little quad trail,,he told me to sit in this cut block and he was gunna walk down the trail..well he called me over to walk down with him..i should have just sat there becuase the buck walk back out into the cut block about 200 yards back down the road..we hiked back into the cutblock with it and it was about 200-250 yards away ..had it in the cross hairs walking away.the guy i was with did this little whistle and the thing stoped right in its tracks..i didnt have a good shot but he said he did so i said shoot,but i guess he didnt hear me,,so we tried to get a bit closer but no such lucky we sat and watched the does for a little bit to see if it would come back for them.but we left and took a walk somewhere else,,we where gunna go back there and lok to see if he came back but it was to take..but it was a good and exiting hunting...anyone else have a close chance or even get one today?

sawmill
11-10-2006, 06:52 PM
good luck to all you guys..... its 6am.... and im heading out to look for the one i nailed last nite...
It`s snowing hard here right now,I hope that doesn`t hit you till you find him.Good luck.

dave_fras
11-10-2006, 07:47 PM
well guys.... i got him!.... it was one hell of a drag to get him out tho... ill post the pics after i get outta the shower..... he stunk so bad like pissed i can taste it lol

30-06
11-10-2006, 09:23 PM
well good thing u found it..congrates cant wait for pics

mark
11-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Well guys my scrambling paid off big time, as i got a beauty as well! Ill start another thread here but heres a lil teaser!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0647.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3595&size=big&cat=500)

30-06
11-10-2006, 09:50 PM
nice lookin buck there mark..one of the lucky last day getters out there.

dave_fras
11-11-2006, 08:27 AM
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Compaq_Owner/Desktop/new%20pictures/new%20014.jpgwell i have the pics of my deer posted in my gallery....now im off to help ym buddy fill bis bull draw..... it never ends haha:D

mark
11-11-2006, 09:32 AM
here ya go dave! nice buck man!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/new_012.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3601&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

30-06
11-11-2006, 09:33 AM
nice buck there dave congrates

WoodOx
11-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Again great buck Mark.

Real nice buck with the bow there too Dave. How far was the shot, and how far did you find him away?

300H&H
11-11-2006, 11:25 AM
AH POOP !!! Yet another year without gettig my mully in reg.8. This year has been the slowest year for seeing deer. The weather was a big factor. My wife loved it because see got me to do more yard work.Ya...I know Im p_ssy whipped. But on the up side the snow here in Kelowna brought on the rut hard. Dad & I went out yesterday. I saw 2 white tail bucks. The biggest had his nose up the does ass & was running her hard. He gave me only running & ass shots so I shot the smaller buck so weve got meat in the freezer. Just a small guy but no stink to him. Trying to get out was near imposible. Ill post that story later today.

rocksteady
11-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Good on you Dave for going back and searching til you found him..Good ethics and a nice buck..

dave_fras
11-11-2006, 07:56 PM
he ended up goin about 300 yards..... it was damn thick bush tho!....i wouldnt believe he went that far tho... it was a clean pass... and took out one lung.......the shot was about 50 or 50 yards... i think?,,, hahaha its hard to remember lol

dave_fras
11-11-2006, 08:10 PM
well my cousin got a nice 5x5 whitey today..... i rattled all morning and didnt even get a snort back.... so we moved 5 ks up the road and walked in.... i waited about 20 min before i put the horns to work... then within 10 min i had the big boy come in on a trot..... he dropped it at 150yards......ill post some pics tomrrow when i get his cam