PDA

View Full Version : How many of you

chevy
11-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Question is your out there in your favourite deer hunting patch sitting and waiting all of a sudden out of the corner of your eye you see that big buck running as fast as he can about 200 yards away, your only shot is off hand 200 yards full run
Q: Do you take the shot,
Q: do you leave it and go back another day???
Q: Are you good enough of a shot to hit it off hand???and take the chance of maybe wounding it

the reason i ask is that 2 days ago we watched a guy do that but the deer was atleast 300 yards away, the guy shot the deer stumbled a little bit(we were also about 800 yards from this guy who we know who he is) and he never made any attempt to go see if he had a good hit on the deer so after we watched him get into his truck and drive away i went down to the spot where the deer was and my buddy called the gamewardens,turns out they found the deer yesterday morning thanks to the crows, the guy was then caught what happened then i do not know?

Blacktail
11-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Although I have shot a few deer offhand I would opt for leaving it for another day.
Just to risky to wound and not recover the animal

JMac
11-09-2006, 04:59 PM
I've used calls for years and more often than not those deer will stop in their tracks. It's unreal!

Marc
11-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Hard enough to shoot one standing still at that range let alone on a full run. Not a shot for me. Better off to let him go and try him another day. Just nice to see what's in the area to get you excited about going back.

JMac
11-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Good point Marc. However if you stop him....you usually can get a rest if you need it. If he's rutted up and he hears a deer calling at him he'll stop for a lot longer than you think. I realize I'm not living within Chevys guidelines/questions but hey it's just a tactic people may want to try. Not talking trash but I know it works!

Gateholio
11-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Everyone has different skilllevels, but I'd say that a 300 yard running deeris a low percentage shot for 99% of the hunters.

todbartell
11-09-2006, 05:15 PM
pull my E.L.K. deer stopper out of my pocket and wail a couple fawn distress calls at him. if he stops, I'll be ready to take the shot. if he doesnt stop, Id rather come back to hunt him another day than risk the chance of wounding him on the run at 200+ yards. a 400 yard shot at a standing deer is a MUCH higher % shot than a running at 200y

.02$

mtnmax
11-09-2006, 06:23 PM
For me it would be wait another day.

bsa30-06
11-09-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm with most of the guys here, i'd wait and try again another day.

jjensen20
11-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I'd take the shot, if your not confident in your shooting abilities then dont take the shot im confident enough and shot enough deer to know that if you can get the gun up and infront of the running deer you will see the boiler room come through those crosshairs and if you pull the trigger that bullet sure travels faster than the deer. Another note is that as soon as you pull the trigger you have made a comitment to go find that deer, most of the time they dont drop on the spot. Even if it means spending the rest of the day looking for hair and blood. I have almost given up and told myself that i missed and have walked 50 more yds and found it laying there. If your not mentally strong enough to do that you shouldnt be hunting!!

P.S. how big was the buck and was it a whitey or a muley?

nykoma
11-09-2006, 06:57 PM
been there and tryed to call it in. i never take that kind of shot.

000buck
11-09-2006, 07:02 PM
since i figure i couldn't shoot my self in the foot thats way out of line for me. see ya next time big fella

Rod
11-09-2006, 07:09 PM
When I was a kid we would put a target inside an old tire, roll it down a hill and try to tag it. we used everything from bows at close range, shotgun with slugs and buckshot at about 50 yards and rifles out to 100. Even with lots of practice it was pretty easy to make a clean miss on the target (that's a 15" circle).

Personally I wouldn't take the shot at half that distance but it's a judgement call and once you pull the trigger you have the result to live with.

My $0.02

Fisher-Dude
11-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Everyone has different skilllevels, but I'd say that a 300 yard running deeris a low percentage shot for 99% of the hunters.

Gate you missed the .9%...it's supposed to be 99.9%...ask dana! :lol:

I'd much rather have a story about the big buck I saw running away than feel like a bag of crap because I blew a leg off and lost him. Respect the animal you hunt. Don't take stupid shots on the chance you might hit him so you can post a pic on HBC.

eastkoot
11-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Congrats to jjensen, you just hit the deer in the guts or ass if at all.... If its in the cross hairs and moving, you missed..This is probably why Chevy posted this.. Good on everyone else for not taking the shot.

chevy
11-09-2006, 07:36 PM
P.S. how big was the buck and was it a whitey or a muley?

It was a whity a nice 4x5 at that but he got caught so good for that guy

chevy
11-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Before you all accuse me of doing it... No i would not do it at all I am a pretty good shot not bragging but im quite sure i would rather let it go and keep hunting the rest of the day rather than look for a deer that a stupid shot was taken at!!!!!!!!!

Ronforca
11-09-2006, 07:48 PM
I don't think that you should take a shot at a running Deer at that range no matter how good that you think you are.Seen too many hot shots out there in my life time to know that they wound or miss more than they kill.Good range if you can stop the Deer but not at a running Deer.My not so humble opinion.

Islandeer
11-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Never take the shot,not worth it.

30-06
11-09-2006, 07:53 PM
JMac those deer stopper calls work like magic

BCLongshot
11-09-2006, 08:00 PM
How about this ? Anybody who does this is a bloody HUGE LOSER !!!!!!

BCLongshot
11-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Obviously you don't take the shot !

chevy I'm not saying you'd do it

Will
11-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Anybody who does this is a bloody HUGE LOSER !!!!!!
........X2

Nimrod
11-09-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm a shooter, I've been reloading for 22years, before the season I would normally shoot 60 to 100 rounds in the summer finishing off with water filled 4 litre milk jugs out to 300 meters from various positions.
there is no way I would take a shot like that!!!!!!!!!!

Husky7mm
11-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Jiminy Christmas Roger Raglin wood take the shot, Mayby not at 300yrds but 200 for sure.

fozzy
11-09-2006, 10:11 PM
I'd let it go. I let a nice one Mulie go that was going straight away from me earlier this year and it was alot closer than that, maybe 75yards. I way rather know for dam sure that x marks the spot and they fall down. The same cut block that I let it pass was the same block that I found the unrecovered buck a couple weeks later. Same buck maybe?

I'm glad to hear that you reported it. It's one thing to lose an animal but to not even go and look that's criminal.

As an aside I have had great luck just whistleing at a running Mule deer they sometimes stop for a fatal look :)

Hal
11-09-2006, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE]"I'd take the shot, if your not confident in your shooting abilities then dont take the shot im confident enough and shot enough deer to know that if you can get the gun up and infront of the running deer you will see the boiler room come through those crosshairs and if you pull the trigger that bullet sure travels faster than the deer."

JJensen, I would be courious what you can shoot at the range at 200 yrds free hand at a target. What kind of grouping? Now send that target flying across the range at 200 yrds. What kind of consistancy? You wouldn't have a hope in hell of consistantly hitting the kill area on a deer.

I'm a good shot and would be tempted to take it..........but I wouldn't. I would sooner take a long distance shot because I know what distance I can make the shot, time after time. How do you practice a moving shot with a rifle?

Mr. Dean
11-10-2006, 12:53 AM
I have yet to be able to practise a shot such as this. I would be content on just sitting back and watching him goooooooooooooooooooooo.

I know my limitations.

Taking an all the time in the world, free-hand shot at a stationary target at that range (consistantly) is a challenge for many.

Raising the rifle and going BOOM (snap-shot) at the same target is very tough for a seasoned shooter.

Having that target cross your path at about 30 mph......I've got a $100 bill for the guy who can do it three times in a row (FREE-HAND on a pie plate).

I'm not kidding.....It would be worth it to actually see it. I'm sure someone can (I reserve to limit this offer for the next 15 day's).

Not looking for the animal.........SAD.

jjensen20
11-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Hal i shoot a .270 win.
Chevy just asked everyone if they would've taken the shot and i said i would, is it illegal?....no, is it unethical?......maybe if you dont go looking for the animal if you dont see it drop, but other than that, no, because its dead or you know its a clean miss. Basically what i am saying is, that i shouldnt have to defend myself on here for answering the question, i dont go through the bush shooting everything i possibly can and i have passed on shot oppertunities in the past because i didnt feel confident or it didnt present itself. I consider myself a pretty good hunter and an ethical one at that. I am just being dead honest its pretty easy to sit on the computer and think about what you would do but when, it comes down to it and the adreniline is pumping im sure alot of you would have different answers. that just my 2 cents and i appoligize if i have offended anyone.

BCrams
11-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Having that target cross your path at about 30 mph......I've got a $100 bill for the guy who can do it three times in a row (FREE-HAND on a pie plate).

I'm not kidding.....It would be worth it to actually see it. I'm sure someone can (I reserve to limit this offer for the next 15 day's).

I did it and will send you the bullet holes in the pie plates it to you ....... pm me and I will tell you where to send the $100 dollar check or cash or money order.:D

Mr. Dean
11-10-2006, 01:20 AM
I did it and will send you the bullet holes in the pie plates it to you ....... pm me and I will tell you where to send the $100 dollar check or cash or money order.:D
Hey.......I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression with my previous post.

I'm not trying to stir the pot.
If someone here can do it, I wanna see it. Nothing is impossible.

I'd love to practise it myself, but how would you even set it up...Or WHERE?

Maybe mount a cut-out on a train????

BCrams
11-10-2006, 01:31 AM
I honestly have never tried !! I did however, get my first ram while it was rapidly moving out of the basin across from me at around 250 yards with one shot. Fluke?? Maybe......but I'm pretty confident with my shooting ability when I do pull the trigger............some of that experience comes from alot of trap shooting ....... the only difference is that a rifle fires a single projectile......

Now with the case of the deer example - I'd try to stop him with a deer call and if he doesn't stop - let him go and try to get him later.

I am sure some guys can do it. I understand in Europe, that to qualify for a hunting licence of sorts, a person needs to be able to hit a moving target broadside to them as part of a shooting test in order to obtain a licence to hunt. Perhaps someone on here can fill us in.......maybe huntwriter??

NightOwl74
11-10-2006, 02:07 AM
Whitetails "bound" when they run, making a leg shot likely. Anyone who has gone over to the impact point of a running shot only to see sparse blood, bone chips and a peetering-off blood trail will only make this mistake once! Instinct will send the wounded buck to heavy cover and a water source. Can you say, "bye bye"? :mad: I hope the loser that took that shot and left the deer get's what's comin' to him.

Fisher-Dude
11-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Hal i shoot a .270 win.
Chevy just asked everyone if they would've taken the shot and i said i would, is it illegal?....no, is it unethical?......maybe if you dont go looking for the animal if you dont see it drop, but other than that, no, because its dead or you know its a clean miss.

It's dead or you know it's a clean miss? What if you hit it in the ass? Then it's neither. And a running shot at that distance, offhand, could easily wound the animal.

If you, as you have said, take a shot when the crosshairs are on the boiler room at a running deer, you will not hit it in the vitals. That deer travelling at 30 mph will cover 528 inches per second. Your bullet from a 270 will average about 2700ft/sec over 200 yards. It will take .222 seconds for your bullet to TRAVEL (not including human reaction time to pull the trigger) from the muzzle to the deer. During that time the deer travelled 117 inches. Where did your bullet hit? How fast is that deer really running? What is your reaction time between the time you decide to squeeze the trigger and the time the bullet leaves the muzzle?

I am just being dead honest its pretty easy to sit on the computer and think about what you would do but when, it comes down to it and the adreniline is pumping im sure alot of you would have different answers.

It's a hunter's responsibility when the adreniline is pumping not to do a dumbass thing that will injure an animal. If you don't have enough self control to put aside fullfilling your own desires at all costs, then you better hang the gun up and take up some other sport. You're dealing with the life of an animal here, and have been given the responsibility to be humane.

Marc
11-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Fisher-Dude calm down, everyone has their opinion but people don't like to be preached to either. It's a decision that every hunter has to make to take the shot or not. It's easy enought to say I wouldn't take the shot but like others have said it's a different situation when it's actually happening. Everyone has a different amount of Buck fever and someone who's only seen one deer all season may take a low percentage shot hoping to fill the freezer. It falls into the same catagory of taking head shots. Some people are for and others are against. It's a personal choice that everyone has to make. I'm not saying it's write or wrong but it's something that each hunter has to decide. Every situation is different and everyones shooting abilities are different as well. I myself wouldn't take the shot but that's because I'm not comfortable taking that kind of shot at that range.

I've taken follow up shots at two different bears that I hit and managed to hit them both on the run at a range of around 100 yrds. So it can be done, but I personaly wouldn't push that limit on a healthy animal out at 200 yards +.

Marc.

Walksalot
11-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Let it go, to much information to crunch to make the shot.
Alot of the time,when an animal is gutshot, the gut pushes against the rib cage and for all intents and purposes seals the hole. The animal may give no tell that it has been hit and the only time rumen is discharged is when then the holes line up and this can be very infrquently and mabe just a few drops. The hunter concludes a miss but a good try while the animal has to try to function with it's guts blown all to hell.

Awishanew
11-10-2006, 09:29 AM
To tell the truth I would'nt take the shot if it was standing still unless I had a rock solid rest. I don't mean just leaning against a tree. Its not that important to me to chance a miss. I like to get close.

FLHTCUI
11-10-2006, 09:57 AM
To quote a member on the site ...
"Hunting isnt a matter of life and death.It's more important than that"

I was going to go on a rant about 300yrd shots on moving targets consistantly and those who claim they can do it, but I'll I'll just call it Bravo Sierra for now.
In one fine European country you must pass a shooting test on a life size moving target at 100 M or more. There has to be a predeterminded number of rounds in the kill zone before you can go hunt large game.

Just my .02 worth on this Topic and guys if you can make the shot consistantly, then my hats off to you.
Rob

J_T
11-10-2006, 11:09 AM
If you are standing anywhere and a deer comes running through at 2 or 300 yards, help me understand where the hunt is?

A lot of us talk about practising and that's great. You should test your limits with practise. And consider those limits when an animals life is at stake.

I'm not judging others, but I wouldn't take the shot. Nice to see though.

JT

Onesock
11-10-2006, 11:12 AM
I bet the average shooter couldn't put 3 shots into a 8 inch circle at 100 yards free hand. That should answer your question!!!!!

WoodOx
11-10-2006, 02:47 PM
this entire conversation is getting out of hand.

The personal attacks are unnecessary - and like others have said I am sure that people who have said they would not take this shot would, under certain circumstances.

I am pretty sure the first shot on the hansen buck was a running shot pushed from a hedge row. second shot finished the buck off as he stopped after being shot at.

Have any of you naysayers hunted muchon the prairie? ALOT of shots there are on the run, and alot of hunters who hunt whitetails in sask. can hit running deer very accuratly.

One shouldnt take this shot without practice or confidence, but one shouldnt rule it out either becasue of peoples opinion. Ive seen videos of people shooting running coyotes at 400+ yards, and they hit them all the time. Explain that?

This argument is a vicious cycle - just as all ethical arguments are its ENTIRELY percieved and therefore there is no right or wrong answer.

sawmill
11-10-2006, 05:16 PM
I took a mulie running acroos me at 35-45 yards offhand and even though I aimed at his brisket the bullet hit an inch from gut shooting him,and I shoot skeet so I get leads.Never could I hope to hit a flat out runner at 2-300 hundred yards.Hell ,Quigly Down Under couldn`t.You`d have to lead him by 50+ feet or more,totally wrong and I hope his Karma is f#cked forever.:mad:

Walksalot
11-10-2006, 05:32 PM
this entire conversation is getting out of hand.

The personal attacks are unnecessary - and like others have said I am sure that people who have said they would not take this shot would, under certain circumstances.

I am pretty sure the first shot on the hansen buck was a running shot pushed from a hedge row. second shot finished the buck off as he stopped after being shot at.

Have any of you naysayers hunted muchon the prairie? ALOT of shots there are on the run, and alot of hunters who hunt whitetails in sask. can hit running deer very accuratly.

One shouldnt take this shot without practice or confidence, but one shouldnt rule it out either becasue of peoples opinion. Ive seen videos of people shooting running coyotes at 400+ yards, and they hit them all the time. Explain that?

This argument is a vicious cycle - just as all ethical arguments are its ENTIRELY percieved and therefore there is no right or wrong answer.

I have been invited to go on a Sask. hunt and declined the offer because they mostly push bush and alot of the animals are being shot at on the run. By far the biggest mule deer buck I ever seen I let go as it was on the dead run at less than 100 yds. To me I would rather let it go than risk wounding it.

Rainwater
11-10-2006, 05:56 PM
We built a running target at our range and no one hit it at 100 yards, pardon me one guy shot the ear with a .45 ACP.

jjensen20
11-10-2006, 06:12 PM
I go on an alberta or saskatchewan hunt every year and its an absolute blast, last year i shot a whitetail buck standing still at 300 yrds and i had a muley draw and shot it at 250 yards, it was in the process of taking off hadnt got to full speed yet, all i am saying is you can go on these types of hunts without shooting running animals, although 80% of the time the animal is at full speed. I am from the praries and happen to know that most of the hunters you talk to will tell you they practice long shots and running shots at coyotes and gophers. its pretty much impossible to execute a decent stalk on an animal on the bald prarie. so long running shots are just the way it is. And anyone who hunts there would not second guess taking the shot.

NEEHAMA
11-10-2006, 06:21 PM
one question!-- at 200 yards plus - how does anyone aim at the vitals of a running animal?

it would just be a shot to see if you could hit the damn thing. that is were a person makes the switch from being a hunter to a zero.

J_T
11-10-2006, 06:27 PM
At 200 yards where is the hunt?

Will
11-10-2006, 08:23 PM
I shot at alot of Competitions where Moving Reactive steel targets were engaged on occasion........It was not surprizing to see how many Folks cannot hit a Moving target at close range with a rifle........never Mind an animal running away at 200 plus Meters :roll:
99.9% of Hunters would be seriously outmatched.......:lol:

I've taken running shots on Previously "hit" animals on a rare occasion......doable ?
Yes, but Never as a 1st Shot and only as a desperate attempt to end something faster.....

If that Buck is already running, consider yourself "Outplayed" that day and Look for another opportunity, you'll be doing the Animal and yourself a big Favour IMO.

NightOwl74
11-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Nuf said
:|

pmj
11-11-2006, 12:47 AM
I believe this is the formula: Leed (feet)=
distance (yds) x animal speed x 4.4
projectile velocity (feet per. second)

As was said: in a fine European country to qualify for a hunting licence every 3 years you must be able to hit a "running" moose target . I believe the distance is 75 M. I was advised that you aim at the bell under the chin and you should hit the mark in the vitals. The permits for moose are given to clubs which consist of about 20 members depending on the area. The hunting is done by having shooters posted in stands with shoooting lanes cut in the forest by the club in the off season. The remainder of the group walk the bush driving the moose to the shooters. Most shots are at a moving animal. If some one wants more details send me a pm.

WoodOx
11-11-2006, 01:56 AM
it would just be a shot to see if you could hit the damn thing. that is were a person makes the switch from being a hunter to a zero.

That comment is seriously narrow minded. glad you consider all those are are confident enough, or well practiced enough to take these shots in consideration.

As Marc commented, this is a question to be left upto a hunter himself, no one else. To me this question goes hand in hand with questions like "is child slavery wrong" and those ethically loaded questions like it. Are head shots ethical? Maybe not in some peoples opinion, but people still do them. Professional hunters, professional shooters, and traditional hunters have and will continue to take running shots. If you think that all running shots are unethical, unrealistic, or are just plain stupid, get off your high seat.

my .02 cents. Done on this argument.

sawmill
11-11-2006, 06:25 AM
That comment is seriously narrow minded. glad you consider all those are are confident enough, or well practiced enough to take these shots in consideration.

As Marc commented, this is a question to be left upto a hunter himself, no one else. To me this question goes hand in hand with questions like "is child slavery wrong" and those ethically loaded questions like it. Are head shots ethical? Maybe not in some peoples opinion, but people still do them. Professional hunters, professional shooters, and traditional hunters have and will continue to take running shots. If you think that all running shots are unethical, unrealistic, or are just plain stupid, get off your high seat.

my .02 cents. Done on this argument.

Not all running shots,just the ones you have to lead by 50 feet and use Kentucky Windage on.By the way,what the hell is an Agautcher?Think I`ll Google that right now.Cheers:lol:

sawmill
11-11-2006, 06:29 AM
Oh shit,I just did,If you have that I am sorry,didn`t mean to offend.Sounds like a damn hard road to walk,again,my apoligies.:cry:

WoodOx
11-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I guess im an agaucher, like your a sawmill. Its my last name bud. No need for apoligies, as I dont have gaucher's disease.

eagleye
11-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Running shots at game are doable, even out to 200 yards.....with lots of practice at moving targets first. I am not saying I would take a running shot at 200 at unwounded game, but I have shot several animals on the run out to 150+ and killed them with one shot, or two at most. I once nailed a running wounded muley doe at 225 yards with my 270. My buddy had flubbed the first shot at 140 yards, and she humped up and took off. I feel my shot was a bit lucky, but it hit and dropped her like a stone. WE played a game for years known as Rifleman's rodeo. It involved still and running targets out to 300 yards. [3 popups & two runners] It is a humbling experience at first, but with practice, one does improve, and out of 5 targets I got so I could hit them all with high scores. Stangely enough, I more often dropped the points on the stationary targets than the runners, once I got it figured out. It is amazing how far one has to lead a running animal at ranges over 100 yards. As has been stated, each must make his own decision when taking running shots. If you do not have the confidence that you can make a lethal shot, you are better off to pass, and come back another day. Regards, Eagleye.

WoodOx
11-11-2006, 04:07 PM
All I am trying to get at is people shouldnt jump to conclusions - ive shot twice at running game and CLEANLY killed them. One was with a buddy in CV - last day of whitetail season and a 4x3 was running broadside at about 150 yards - he dissapeared half behind a little hill - and this will REALLY get a couple of you guys going, and I apoligize n advance, but I shot it in the head, while it was moving right to left. One shot, in one ear out the other. Probably luck involved inthat one - if noone believes me I can scan and post the pic.

The other running shot was last year in Sask. I jumped a whitetail buck bedded with a number of mule does - he sprang and ran almost directly away from me. Sholdering my rifle I aimed JUST infront of his head and right on the height - needless to say he did about 3 frontflips but was entirely dead. I have pics of this if anyone doesnt believe me either.

Two running shots, and head shots neverthe less, but I made them and didnt blow the jaw off either. You can argue that I should have never shot either buck, am "zero" and not a hunter, or whatever you want, but like eagleeye above me, running shots ARE possible without shooting the animal inthe rear end and just inuring it.

Standing broadside shots are the BEST shots for anyone, and I am definatly not saying I am a marksman, but hunters are not always afforded a static target. Animals I hunt tend to be alive, they DO move!

jjensen20
11-11-2006, 04:21 PM
The animals I hunt tend to be alive, and they DO move!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEEHAMA
11-13-2006, 10:11 AM
running at 200 YARDS! just think about 200 yards for a second. think about what your saying. 200 yards is a long damn way!!!!!! now if an animal is running????? how many ducks have you missed with a damn shot gun at 25 yards flying?!! you probably lost count. now go back and try and make the ethical shot!! -VITALS- at 200 yards while it's running.
just think about it. we have all put game down while it's moving a bit or hopping along at 70 yards etc. but at 200 yards while running??

NFW.

Elkhound
11-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Well I know my limitations and that is a shot "I" would note take.

Farmer
11-14-2006, 08:15 PM
It is not a shot I would take. I would be disappointed, but I would not even take a freehand shot of 200 yards at a standing deer. At under 50 yards, I might try a freehand shot but visibilty and cover would have to be good. I tend to look for a rest or pop the bipod before trying freehand. These would be my first choices after trying to whistle the deer to a stop. I probably wouldn't try a shot at a running deer at 200yds if I had a solid rest. That is the way I hunt. My shooting confidence requires a rest.
Others are probably more accustomed to shooting freehand and that is up to them.

Gord

SAVAGE300
11-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Chances are he will return to the same same area, I would sit waiting many more days, if this was the buck i really wanted, you gotta have buck fever pretty bad for a shot offhand like that. not a hope