PDA

View Full Version : buffalo draw, 7-57b

j270wsm
06-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Just looking for some general help with my buffalo draw, Oct 16-31, Im not sure what to expect of the area, the weather or buffalo in general. Keep in mind that Im not asking for specific hunting spots. Mostly looking for advise on the little things, like things I should consider taking, stuff you thought would have been helpful if you had taken it, could even be things you learned from your hunts. Any info is appreciated, thanks

fearnodeer
06-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Ask for spots, I hunted 7-57a and help from this site was great. Its not a honey hole for as often as you may get a draw if you are lucky, Big Boar was there pm him and it will do you a world of good. Damm they are BIG.

Bisonfirst
06-27-2012, 07:21 PM
What is your tag dates?

kako99
06-27-2012, 08:45 PM
If I was you I would bring a reciprocating saw or chain saw with some kind of non toxic oil to quarter them up. Your not gonna move it whole. A quad is nice if the roads are clear.

ncurrie
06-28-2012, 06:35 AM
I got the same draw as you! My dates are OCt1-15, yours?

j270wsm
06-28-2012, 12:57 PM
My draw is from october 16-31. I am headed north on oct 12, stopping at my cousins in FSJ for the night. If everything goes as planned I should be set up and out spotting by 3pm on the 13th

BiG Boar
06-28-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't know how much help I can be, but one thing I would suggest is going about a week into the start of the hunt. There are a lot of bison there. There are also a whack of hunters that show up on the open. Hunters everywhere are scaring the crap out of the herds. Wait a week and most people will have given up and you'll have the entire place to yourself and the buffalo will be back in their usual places. Number 1 piece of advice I can give out.

curt
06-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Ive done this hunt we managed 2 bison a few yrs ago if you want pm me i will give you the exact gps coordinates to punch into your gps!! you will find herds of them, if they havent been shot to sh*t and spooked across the river....however it is loads of work we had 6 guys with us and thank christ we did! take a few buddies there is plenty of meat to go around trust me you will need the help!! :)

Clouddog
06-28-2012, 05:39 PM
yeah!!! I also got a Bison draw for 7-57a for Nov 16-30.. Brrrr . Any advise for winter hunting other that a snowmobile, which I do no own.

I can hardly believe it..

Rock Doctor
06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
If I was you I would bring a reciprocating saw or chain saw with some kind of non toxic oil to quarter them up. Your not gonna move it whole. A quad is nice if the roads are clear.

WAY WAY WAY easier to do it the Gutless Method.

Oh, and take everything from Bugspray to Long Underwear:shock:

RD

waistdeep
06-28-2012, 08:05 PM
B - is there not a vehicle restriction in that zone? We're therea couple years ago and I thought it was closed?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-28-2012, 08:57 PM
B - is there not a vehicle restriction in that zone? We're therea couple years ago and I thought it was closed?

never been closed to snow machines..weight max of 500kg with quads

j270wsm
06-29-2012, 12:13 AM
I didn't even think about vehicle closures! I was told about vehicle closures above certain elevations. So far there is 4 of us going, hoping for 1 or 2 more will be able to make it. We are planning on using quads.

killin-time
06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
buffalo 7-57A
my son has a draw for Jan.16-31 and we could use help.We have snow machines,but we don't know the area and info. about accomodations or access.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tomahawk
06-29-2012, 09:28 AM

Chain saw dedicated to meat cutting is a great idea, however the oil is not needed. There is so much natural lube in a bison or any other large big game it is absolutely not necessary.

tomahawk
06-29-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't know how much help I can be, but one thing I would suggest is going about a week into the start of the hunt. There are a lot of bison there. There are also a whack of hunters that show up on the open. Hunters everywhere are scaring the crap out of the herds. Wait a week and most people will have given up and you'll have the entire place to yourself and the buffalo will be back in their usual places. Number 1 piece of advice I can give out.

Good advice most of the time. Expect to be in competition with several other hunters at the beginning of your hunt unless you go advance scouting like you say on Oct 13th and are able to find an off the beaten trail area that holds a herd or a big bull if thats what you want and you get out there opening morning without any others in tow. Your hunt is second up I believe so hopefully the herds haven't made a permanent move across the river and towards the mountains into the back woods.

tomahawk
06-29-2012, 09:47 AM
yeah!!! I also got a Bison draw for 7-57a for Nov 16-30.. Brrrr . Any advise for winter hunting other that a snowmobile, which I do no own.

I can hardly believe it..

A snowmobile may not able to run at that time you have a draw, you may need quads. Best to line up both and monitor the weather in the weeks prior to leaving and not on the weather network but from locals who live there. Snow may be on the ground but may not, its not a guarantee by any means. We have had 5 bull draws at the end of Nov and beginning of Dec in the last 15 yrs, 3 times snowmoblies were usable (last yr lots of rocks scrapping the track and ski's) but quads would have worked and 2 times only quads would work. There is no given to this hunt, it can be the most logistically challenging hunt you will ever be a part of.

tomahawk
06-29-2012, 09:56 AM
I didn't even think about vehicle closures! I was told about vehicle closures above certain elevations. So far there is 4 of us going, hoping for 1 or 2 more will be able to make it. We are planning on using quads.

The info on elevation closures you have been given is not entirely correct unless it changes this year which is not likely. There are restrictions. Trucks are good till the airstrip and not any further. A large gate makes sure that happens. From there both quads and snowmobiles are usable however quads are far more restricted then snowmobiles. As Jamie says snow machines can go anywhere. Quads are restricted to certain main trails and roads only, and 400 m from them. You will get a package in the mail, which leaves a lot to be desired mind you, that will detail this info. PM me if you need any clarity or info.