PDA

View Full Version : 5-15 / 7-05 Goats

Jerlynn
06-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

First of all, as a relatively new member I want to say thank-you to everyone on this site. I have found it to be an extremely useful wealth of knowledge as a young hunter eager to get out and see the province.

I'll start this by saying I'm looking for some general information about an area. Last year, I tried my luck at goat hunting with a draw in 6-2 (Tweedsmuir Park area) and loved the experience. We boated across Ootsa Lake (Little Andrews Bay), hiked up the ridge and started exploring the nearby peaks in search of goats. It was a great way to spend the labour day long weekend but unfortunetely we never saw hide nor hair of a goat (the caribou herd was awesome though!). Seems LEHs are out and I won't be going back into that area so I've been looking at the GOS's around Prince George. I've spent a few weekends so far this summer hiking the hills nearby (Sugarbowl, Raven Lake, Vineyards etc..) and I love the area. I want to push farther towards McBride and explore the mountains south of the highway more, but I have a limited amount of weekends before the season this fall. This long weekend we are going to tackle Kristi Glacier and I'll bring my spotting scope along to get a feel for the area (hopefully venture down into 5-15 below Hook Peak).

Does anyone have any experience they would be willing to share about seeing goats in these areas? Am I chasing up an empty tree ;p

Thanks in advance if you do have insight!

Oh and I want to share this photo from the Vineyards last weekend
Vineyards Looking North (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/qzhcx)

BCrams
06-27-2012, 07:34 PM
A heads up - As of a few days ago, the Dore River road was washed out so you won't be getting up the Kristi Glacier area. Its a nice hike in there. Some good goat hunting in portions of 7-05!

Jerlynn
06-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Washed out? Thanks a bunch for that heads up. Saves me and some friends a two hour drive from PG just to find that out. Is the washout far down the road? as I could always bring a quad.

kitnayakwa77
06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
There's decent access into goat terrain off the 3100 (Cunningham Pass) road near the Cariboo River crossing and Ghost Lake, have a search around on Google Earth and you'll see what I'm talking about. Have seen some good goats around there about 10 years ago. Might be an idea to bring a quad and a saw to get up the spur roads for shorter access to alpine.

hazardiz
06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
hello fellow local...I saw some goats in there last fall when I had my grizz draw in there...nice area...there is a guide in that area...the further back you go the more luck you will have to get away from the PG day hunters...

XPEIer
06-29-2012, 03:00 PM
There's decent access into goat terrain off the 3100 (Cunningham Pass) road near the Cariboo River crossing and Ghost Lake, have a search around on Google Earth and you'll see what I'm talking about. Have seen some good goats around there about 10 years ago. Might be an idea to bring a quad and a saw to get up the spur roads for shorter access to alpine.

The 3100 road is currently closed due to washouts from last year, they are blasting at about 3129 for the next while. You can access Ghost Lake area from Likely but you cannot get all the way through yet.

xpeier

Jerlynn
06-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up, washouts seem to be a fairly common problem on these mountain roads, guess I'm too used to full access when moose hunting south of vanderhoof. I will definetely pour over Google Earth a bit more after this weekend and look at 5-15 harder. We have decided to take this long weekend and spend it trying to access some nice looking mountains on the top side of the range for a first scouting attempt (off the Yellowhead). I'm hoping there isn't too much snow and that we get a good feel for the place. Either way its good excercise and to be honest, pulling the pack out and getting ready is making me wish it was hunting season already.

Hope ya got your grizzly at least on that trip!