PDA

View Full Version : hunting rig homemade roof rack attachment??

willyqbc
06-27-2012, 01:07 PM
So I picked up a 98 tracker for the bush and back and forth to work. looking to build a roof box for it and have been thinking of how to attach it as it didn't have any factory rails installed on the roof, don't really want to pay for aftermarket stuff I can build my self anyway. So heres the question ..... anyone see any problems mounting the brackets as shown in the picture to use as a base for the rack/box?? Was thinking of using some hefty self tapping screws, drill some small pilot holes, coat the screws with green loctite, coat the back of the plates with silicone and screw em on. There is about 2" of dead space from the outside tin until any fasteners would come through into the cabin of the rig. Was looking to put 40 litres of fuel and the spare tire up top...maybe 100-110 lbs. hoping to find or fab a good lock-box to mount off the spare tire carrier, thus the tire up onto the roof.

Anyone done a similiar style of attachment??
Any thoughts???
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/tracker_side.JPG (javascript:;)

Chris

SimilkameenSlayer
06-27-2012, 01:15 PM
depending on how much you care about the paint job, i would weld on the mounting brackets for the roof rack. sheet metal screws have a habit of rattling loose.

BigfishCanada
06-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Chris I have a 4x4 which I traded my ATV for (i have kids now and a ATV wasnt working)

I built a wooden roof. I bought a really well made roof rack, then got a 3/4 treated plywood that I built with a 2x4 treated rim around it. I can put a moose on the roof without worrying it will break. I love standing or sitting on top to get a good view also! It works real well for me.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296310_10150333494746523_1045486015_n.jpg

willyqbc
06-27-2012, 01:35 PM
sheet metal screws have a habit of rattling loose.

thats where I'm hoping the green loctite will help....we use it at the mill to "glue" bearings and things in place where there is no room for locking set screws etc....stuff dries like it was welded!!!

BigFish...rack looks good.....but how is it attached to your roof??? Thats my biggest concern right now, if I can attach some bases to weld support rails to, I can weld up any box configuration I want. Just trying to figure out a good way to attach base bracketts that will be strong and not cause any leakage into the body of the rig.

Thanks guys!
Chris

ThinAir
06-27-2012, 01:40 PM
I have a roof rack on mine and I bought a cargo carrier at princess auto. They go on sale every once and awhile for 99$. Ive loaded more than a few dead critters on it:)

SimilkameenSlayer
06-27-2012, 01:53 PM
thats where I'm hoping the green loctite will help....we use it at the mill to "glue" bearings and things in place where there is no room for locking set screws etc....stuff dries like it was welded!!!

BigFish...rack looks good.....but how is it attached to your roof??? Thats my biggest concern right now, if I can attach some bases to weld support rails to, I can weld up any box configuration I want. Just trying to figure out a good way to attach base bracketts that will be strong and not cause any leakage into the body of the rig.

Thanks guys!
Chris

loctite 380 is also good stuff ... but a little $pendy.

willyqbc
06-27-2012, 02:09 PM
loctite 380 is also good stuff ... but a little $pendy.

Yeah was thinking of that too as i have some on hand.....I use it to glue inserts in my arrows!!:-P

Drillbit
06-27-2012, 02:14 PM
You can get rivets that have threaded insides, 1/4 coarse.

They use them for installing mirrors onto semis.

Drill the right size hole, silicone the rivet (aluminum) outside (prevent rust/water getting in) and squeeze it in place, bolt rack to the rivet using your loctite & stainless bolts. I would put 2 or 4 per mount. You need a special rivet gun for the rivet. Quesnel Hiab had one I used about 6-7 years ago, and he has since sold out, but one of the truck shops in Quesnel should have a set to lend out, maybe even your mill.

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet-nuts-threaded-inserts.html

rocksteady
06-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Does the new rig have a reciever hitch on the arse end??? You could always look at welding up a slide in cargo basket for the hitch...Then you don't need to worry about hefting stuff onto the roof.....

I have seen that they are becoming more common on vehicles...

http://www.discountramps.com/receiver-hitch-basket.htm

rocksteady
06-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Duh... did not read the original post close enough...

"want to move the spare tire onto the roof......"

Disregard my suggestion about a reciever tray, unless you think you can amend one to hold the spare tire too....

Geo.338
06-27-2012, 02:46 PM
I have a samurai and I am doing the same thing . Convertible though poses a different challenge .Look on some of the 4x4 sites there are lots of good ideas .The manufactured ones use the roof channel to attach to .I would try and fab something to mate to the channel and then build from that .Good luck .

CCB
06-27-2012, 04:30 PM
As said above use nutserts at least two per mount and your good to go, self tappers and thin sheet metal will always loosen off no matter on the amount of loctite you use, and if you want to take it off just put a nice stainless bolt in the holes with some silicone and it still looks good.

boxhitch
06-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Threaded inserts and tool are available at Princess Auto.

Looks like Big Fish is using roof racks, maybe Thule or Yakima. 3 or 4 of those, you could heli lift it in.

Or be real red neck and where you were going to use sheet metal screws, just run the bit in deeper and use through bolts and nylock nuts

rocket
06-27-2012, 08:55 PM
you could remove headliner and nut and bolt through, just remember to silicone around bolts. I know its a lot more work, but that or nutserts is way to go. Trust me self tapers have there place, but in this situation as mentioned previously your just asking for trouble and will have to do it right later, and murphy's law usually shows up at the least favourable time. just picture it monster buck on roof going down the road coming off. Just remember to have camcorder going and you'll be youtube famous. lol

f350ps
06-27-2012, 09:01 PM
DrillBit has it right, I would either do as he said or remove the inside panels and bolt it through using back-up plates on the inside. The problem with welding it solid is the body sheet metal will flex and crack over time, jmho K

BromBones
06-27-2012, 09:20 PM
What would Red Green do?

Lay a chunk of plywood on top, and roll down those back windows enough to get a roll of duct tape through so you can tape it to the roof. 7 or 8 wraps should do.

willyqbc
06-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Lay a chunk of plywood on top, and roll down those back windows enough to get a roll of duct tape through so you can tape it to the roof. 7 or 8 wraps should do.

There we go...problem solved!!! HAHA!!

Gonna have alook at how easily the liner can be removed and replaced.... being a millwright a bolt and Nyloc is always my preffered go to fastening method!!! Plus I know where there bins and bins full of those!! HAHA!!!

Thanks for all the input guys, really helpful!
Chris

wos
06-27-2012, 09:36 PM
If you remoove that large rubber molding that runs the length of eather side of the roof you will find a sturdy pinch weld that you can bolt screw or weld your rack to then trim and reinstall the molding for a clean professional look.

burger
06-27-2012, 11:53 PM
I agree with the nutsert idea. Puts threads there for a bolt

500grhollowpoint
06-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Subscribing thought of doing this myself...

quaywe
06-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Hey Chris,
I have a "nutsert" tool and the inserts
Give me a call
Geoff

willyqbc
06-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Hey Chris,
I have a "nutsert" tool and the inserts
Give me a call
Geoff

HAHA!!! Don't know what I was thinking......all the crap you attach to your vehicles, of course you have all the tools for this!!!! I'll give you a call!!

Chris

Stone Sheep Steve
06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
I just picked up a tracker for the same reasons myself and have been looking at what's out there for roof racks.

Most of the one's I've seen attach lower down on the rear end like this 2dr....edit note..I just realized the low mounts are for removable tops.

http://lgcdn.jeep4x4center.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/e/heavy-duty-cargo-roof-rack-cal-sk3802_7369.jpg

willyqbc
07-11-2012, 03:21 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Decided to try and use the pinch weld above the doors. Took some 3/8 X 3" flat bar for feet and bolted it through the pinch weld with 1/4 X 1" stainless bolts. Took some grinding to get the angle right to compensate for the curve of the roof so the square tubing rails would sit level. Cut the trim to fit around the mounts and went ahead and built the box from there. You'll have to excuse the poor fabricating and my welder is about 100 years old and very frustratingly inconsistant so the end result isn't pretty but seems to be VERY solid. I would feel confident throwing 4 moose quarters up there....will test that this fall hopefully. I found a fellow on the wonderful worldwide web who mounted his box this way and has had 3 adults up on his rack so should work out okay.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/rack.JPG (javascript:;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/rack_mount.JPG (javascript:;)

nature girl
07-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Very nice. Hope you get yourself a moose this year to try it out.

wos
07-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Yep lots of strength in pinch welds. And a nice clean install. Looks great.

dino
07-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Hard to tell in the pic but I used 1" emt, a pipe bender,cheap grinder, and a small Lincoln welder.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/SUNP0012.jpg

willyqbc
07-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Very Nice Dino! Where did you attach the hood rack? Is it attached to the body or does it go up when you raise the hood? Thats a great idea!

Chris

dino
07-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Very Nice Dino! Where did you attach the hood rack? Is it attached to the body or does it go up when you raise the hood? Thats a great idea!

Chris

you can see the outer frame rail bends down and bolts to the front bumper. The rack itself I lift off easily by hand if I have to open the hood, It sits on the outer frame rails and is strong enough to handle two quarters of a good size moose , the other two can easily fit on the roof rack. The pic is of an elk quartered and strapped down.