PDA

View Full Version : I drew Goat 4-22, now what do I do?

JIL_24/7
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Hello everyone,
I would like to say thank you in advance for everyone's help. I have gained so much information from this site in the last year. This will be my second full season of hunting and I was blessed by getting a moose draw in region 5 and a goat draw in 4-22 zone G. I don't even know where to start with goat hunting. I didn't really expect to get the draw, but I did now so I want to take advantage of it. Can anyone tell me how/where I should start on this one. I don't even know anyone who has hunted the area before, and none of the people I have gone hunting with have ever even hunted for goat. It seems a daunting task at this point, but I don't want to let his opportunity pass me by. I was hoping I could go October 7-15 and do some elk hunting while I'm out that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

markt308
06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
what up Big nugz. Cant help you with the territory but a great thing get practicing on is mountain goat I.D. There are tons of websites if you just google that will help you get better at spotting a billy, and avoiding shooting a nanny/kid. Here is some info to get you started. you have a lot to learn, but good luck to you and it can be done if you want it bad enough! cheers

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/docs/goat_orientation_08Utah.pdf

Bow Walker
06-27-2012, 11:21 AM
It might have been prudent to research all this prior to submitting you LEH...............

ryanb
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Find roads that get you close or into the mountains, hike if required. Glass miserable cliffy spots on those mountains, try to shoot billy when located. Goat hunting isn't really complicated, but it is hard work. Two things to keep in mind:
1. Try not to kill yourself by getting into a tricky spot, remember, climbing up is always easier than climbing back down.
2. Try to be mindful of where the goat might die when you shoot, it's really unfortunate when a goat dies in a spot you can't retrieve it or falls 2000' off a cliff into a bloody pulp. This is an important one that I think a lot of people overlook in the heat of the moment. Trust me, you will be glad to look back at an opportunity that got away rather than at wasting an animals life.

JIL_24/7
06-27-2012, 11:23 AM
It might have been prudent to research all this prior to submitting you LEH...............

You're absolutely right. I agree. However, now I'm in this position and it is still only June, so I'm hoping I can put something together. Thanks.

JIL_24/7
06-27-2012, 11:26 AM
what up Big nugz. Cant help you with the territory but a great thing get practicing on is mountain goat I.D. There are tons of websites if you just google that will help you get better at spotting a billy, and avoiding shooting a nanny/kid. Here is some info to get you started. you have a lot to learn, but good luck to you and it can be done if you want it bad enough! cheers

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/docs/goat_orientation_08Utah.pdf

I guess I should have stated that I have done the identification homework and do know it is very hard work. What I don't know is how to access the area and where. I am not afraid of the work. I also am trying to find someone who might be crazy enough to want to go. I'm a bit behind, but I'm going to give it my best to try and go.

JIL_24/7
06-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Find roads that get you close or into the mountains, hike if required. Glass miserable cliffy spots on those mountains, try to shoot billy when located. Goat hunting isn't really complicated, but it is hard work. Two things to keep in mind:
1. Try not to kill yourself by getting into a tricky spot, remember, climbing up is always easier than climbing back down.
2. Try to be mindful of where the goat might die when you shoot, it's really unfortunate when a goat dies in a spot you can't retrieve it or falls 2000' off a cliff into a bloody pulp. This is an important one that I think a lot of people overlook in the heat of the moment. Trust me, you will be glad to look back at an opportunity that got away rather than at wasting an animals life.

Thank you for the info, and I totally agree on making sure you can retrieve an animal/not waste it. Not my style either.

Tenacious Billy
06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
If you're not in shape.....you'd best be workin' on your fitness. Goats live in gnarly country that's tough to get to and can be tough to move around in.

If you live relatively close to where you'll be hunting, try and get out as much as possible to get to know the country and spend some time glassing the mountain for goats. If you don't live close by, I'd suggest trying to get out their at least once to do some scouting before you head up for your hunt. Try and find logging roads that will get you close to the alpine and get bushwhacking!! Good luck.

MB_Boy
06-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Hey Nuggz...

Try using the advanced search functionality on the site......I would bet that there are threads in the past about 4-22 and goat hunting that have sprung up.

Try putting 4-22 in the search and look for "Titles Only" with respect to the threads.

markt308
06-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Right on thats sweet. ID can be tough so if your already all over that then great! I'm sure some guys will eventually point you in the right direction. Also, don't be afraid to put a call into the C.O of that area and ask for any info. They can be helpful.

koothunter
06-27-2012, 11:52 AM
The whole zone is road closure. Not an easy area! I totally agree with the previous comment. Why put in for an area you know nothing about and have never seen! Just wasting everyone's time!

Everett
06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
You can see goats in 4-22g off the highway so you shoudn't have to much trouble as long as your fit, lots of road closures in that area though.

coach
06-27-2012, 11:56 AM

He asked a legit question and deserves respectful answers. Lots of time to prepare between now and September. Should I shy away from asking help with my Bison draw? It's in an area I haven't hunted either.

Congrats on getting drawn. Best of luck filling your tag. Looking forward to the story and pictures.

rocksteady
06-27-2012, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=coach;1171066]He asked a legit question and deserves respectful answers. Lots of time to prepare between now and September. Should I shy away from asking help with my Bison draw? It's in an area I haven't hunted either.

QUOTE]

Agreed... Isn't that the whole point of having HBC??? Supporting the hunting community?? Will be digging up some advice for him in the next couple days..

Tenacious Billy
06-27-2012, 12:30 PM
The whole zone is road closure. Not an easy area! I totally agree with the previous comment. Why put in for an area you know nothing about and have never seen! Just wasting everyone's time!

No better way to learn an area than to hunt it and try and pick the brains of guys who have been in there before.

I'm guessing a lot of guys on this site put in for draws in areas they've never hunted.......I've never hunted kamloops lake sheep and I put in for that draw every year!! If you don't wanna help out, don't respond - pretty simple.

silvertipp
06-27-2012, 01:21 PM
No better way to learn an area than to hunt it and try and pick the brains of guys who have been in there before.

I'm guessing a lot of guys on this site put in for draws in areas they've never hunted.......I've never hunted kamloops lake sheep and I put in for that draw every year!! If you don't wanna help out, don't respond - pretty simple.
x2 the only way to learn about areas is to get in there and try it,just like everyone has had to do somwhere along the line ,i recieved a grizzly draw this year and didnt know anything about the area,but with a little research on google,some rescent thread research and a whole lot of help from people on this site it was a great trip
i thought thats what whe are all about
good luck on your quest

JIL_24/7
06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
x2 the only way to learn about areas is to get in there and try it,just like everyone has had to do somwhere along the line ,i recieved a grizzly draw this year and didnt know anything about the area,but with a little research on google,some rescent thread research and a whole lot of help from people on this site it was a great trip
i thought thats what whe are all about
good luck on your quest

Thanks for the support guys. It isn't an area I know nothing about as I hunted Elk around Galoway last fall. It's goat hunting that I've never done before, and that's why I'm looking for advice and guidance so I don't end up being that guy you all make fun of for trying stupid things and not working hard to do it right. I am working out hard and I feel like with the right direction I will have a good chance on this hunt. Thanks.

springpin
06-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Read the book " a beast the color of winter".

I love these threads!!

grizzhunter64
06-27-2012, 02:46 PM
I killed 11 year old billy here years ago, right in behind Fernie Ski Hill and between Island Lake lodge, you'll be hunting the back side of the Lizard Range towards Sand Creek, access is hike in only from Island Lake side as from Sand Creek side is road closure and accessible by horse or foot only, extremely long this way! Good Luck!

DanBallance
06-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Get in the best shape of your life, and then start training even harder, shoot straight and carry a stiff pack board. Buy the best boots and optics you can afford now if you don't have them already, the difference between climbing 3000 feet after an okay billy versus an outstanding billy usually comes down what you are looking through.

Gateholio
06-27-2012, 02:58 PM
You should have a great adventure! DOnt know the area, but the odds for the draws in 4-22 don't seem too high so it's probably rough going. I'm sure there are a few guys here that know goats there though.

JIL_24/7
06-27-2012, 03:08 PM
You should have a great adventure! DOnt know the area, but the odds for the draws in 4-22 don't seem too high so it's probably rough going. I'm sure there are a few guys here that know goats there though.
The odds on this particular hunt were 9.0:1

JIL_24/7
06-27-2012, 03:10 PM
I killed 11 year old billy here years ago, right in behind Fernie Ski Hill and between Island Lake lodge, you'll be hunting the back side of the Lizard Range towards Sand Creek, access is hike in only from Island Lake side as from Sand Creek side is road closure and accessible by horse or foot only, extremely long this way! Good Luck!
Where did you enter from. Looking here on Google earth and seeing the range, but trying to determine where to come in from. Did you hike in and spike camp or did you go out from base camp daily. Thanks.

.330 Dakota
06-27-2012, 04:19 PM

Daja Vou buddy Daja Vou....lol

riflebuilder
06-27-2012, 09:02 PM
That is right near my house come on out and I can take you to a spot that you can shoot a goat. I see them all the time just never get drawn for the tag here. It is a great spot for goats. You should give yourself 3-4 days as the weather can be tricky in October where the goats are. send me a PM and I will tell you where to go.

06-27-2012, 09:19 PM
That is right near my house come on out and I can take you to a spot that you can shoot a goat. I see them all the time just never get drawn for the tag here. It is a great spot for goats. You should give yourself 3-4 days as the weather can be tricky in October where the goats are. send me a PM and I will tell you where to go.

way to step and help a guy out with out the "you should of planned out your hunt before"

markt308
06-27-2012, 09:21 PM
riflebuilder you are HBC member of the month easily! stand up guy

wiggy
06-27-2012, 09:30 PM
ditto; hats off to you riflebuilder; and good luck to killing a big billie

gerrygoat
06-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Good luck on your hunt and like the others said train like crazy so the hunt will be much more enjoyable. I wonder if the guys complaining are just a bit jealous of you so don't worry about it. One of the good things about HBC is helping guys out, nice to see some of you doing that. We have gotten goats on trips the first time up a mountain or valley so just go for it :)

Trophyslayer
06-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Being in good shape is a must dont be afraid of heights. X2 on footwear none of that rocky crap or Walmart stuff you need good mountain boots and a good spotting scope a 6 inch billy can look a lot bigger through poor quality glass. bring lots of water you will need it and be prepared to spend the night..... Oh and those grizzlies are EVERYWHERE in the koots

grizzlydueck
06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Make sure that you have an elk tag aswell as a mulie tag-and a whitetail for on the way up ! I have hunted it a few times there are sheep in there as well + A FAIR NUMBER OF GRIZZ ! We backpacked a full hunting camp up on the top of the mountain down from your area but had way to many grizz encounters so we all moved on to other spots. But a great goat spot- you can glass them right from tim hortins parking lot lol !-not sure if thats your exact area ! good luck and bring some thin rope and some work gloves=you will know why when your done you trip !

fozzy
06-27-2012, 11:10 PM

Right on Riflebuilder, that's the sort of thing that makes this site enjoyable, well done!

A couple years ago my wife wanted a goat. I asked some of the guys on the site where I should apply for and be darned if we didn't both get drawn for 4-22B that year. We saw some goats but didn't get one but sure had a blast. Now this year I put the two of us in as a "group" and we got drawn again and will give it a much better effort. I was and still am thankfull for the info I received and I'm sure Biggnuggets is as well.

Good luck on the hunt Biggnuggets :)

JIL_24/7
06-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the help. Even those of you who like to use negative motivation tactics :). One thing I was wondering. I've never heard anyone talk about the meat part of Mountain Goat. Any good? Another thing. I probably can't afford a full body mount. What does a head and shoulder mount cost? I've been doing more and more research on goats. Looking forward to moose hunting and goat hunting for the first time!

gerrygoat
06-29-2012, 10:32 PM
The meat is good just tougher than deer or moose usually are. We grind our up into hamburger, get sausage made and cook roasts in the slow cooker, every goat I've ever eaten has had great flavor. Shoulder mounts vary a lot in price you may also wish to consider getting the hide tanned from a later season goat and getting the skull cleaned up and bleached.

Moose63
06-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Read "Hunt High" by Duncan Gilchrist

Jelvis
06-30-2012, 05:13 PM
riflebuilder is helping out big time, this is a real treat to see another hunter who lives in a gorgeous spot and will help a guy or gal with an LEH goat tag in MU 4-22 where he lives. Hats off to the riflebuilder.
Jel .. This is the kinda help that makes a hunt memorable for life, for some one else other than just yourself..

rcar
06-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Read "Hunt High" by Duncan Gilchrist

A very good book but tough to find, contrary to several recent posts about the availability. Many sites show it available for $20-$30 but come time to order it they show it out of stock. It took me 3 months to track down a copy. If you are local (LM), I will lend you my copy for a couple of weeks. It is a signed copy so you must be gentle with it.

Also, don't take too much heed on others that slam you for "not doing your research" before applying. Just MAKE SURE you hunt your LEH. I have a much bigger problem with guys who apply and don't bother going, essentially cheating out other hunters of a great opportunity.

You have lots of time to figure things out before your hunt. As I have come to realize goats are not really that hard to find....getting to them and being prepared for the mountain is a much bigger challenge, as others have pointed out already. Also getting yourself the right gear for the hunt will be costly if you don't already have it.

I have several PDF research and census reports that will help you figure out their seasonal movements and typical elevation habitats. PM if you want a copy. You will need to be hunting in the 7500'-8000' level in your MU.

Good luck and enjoy what should be a hunt of a lifetime.

Jelvis
06-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Can you imagine how much this valid goat leh for MU 4-22 is valued at, in any goat hunters mind of this world.
This is a once in a lifetime event brought on by chance and luck, you slapped the dollars down and took your chances.
And you, my lucky man are a winner. You won! Now. It's time to dream.
Make it happen.
I hope you will not put yourself in a dangerous spot by trying to cross a steep side hill chute going down to oblivion.
Enjoy the hunt but don't overdue the precarious slides and steep walls with narrow trails.
Listen to rifelbuilder and take his advice and go from there, good luck and take mega photos.
Jel .. I know your going to get a CRACK! at a goat .. A Nice White Goat with a little yellow on the belly hairs ..

warnniklz
06-30-2012, 06:25 PM
dude... I don't know much about the area... or about hunting goats to be honest. Grew up hunting mulies, moose and bears. But I did get my goat draw. I'll be asking a lot of questions the next month here. I know some seasoned (almost say heroic... but not quite) gota hunters on HBC here are checking out regularily here. This may help a little

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?82883-Pre-hopefull-2012-goat-hunt&highlight=goat+hunt

Jelvis
06-30-2012, 08:28 PM
I tried in one place by Chilliwack Lake way back and couldn't hack the dangerous routes to cross, steep, unforgiving, merciless slope and over to space, free falling into hell.
No thanks, I try to enjoy hunting, not scare the crap outta my self. ok?
One fella that used to have some ropes strung across to hang on to, across a precarious chute top, died on the mountains he loved to hike and hunt. A few years later he slid to his death when a rope broke and he slipped to the end of the one rope in his tight fisted hand, his hand started to cramp and let go bye bye onto the sharp boulders below, never to breath again.
Jelly (Likes) Both feet on the ground and pound, hands on the plow, eye on the fence post .. 4 git dah goats Whoa!

David Heitsman
07-01-2012, 01:22 AM
I killed one in 4:22 a few years ago up past Quinn Creek. Don't recall the zone. Wish I could end the story there but alas.

Drew the tag, chartered a plane for an hour out of Cranbrook to get a feel for the terrain and perhaps verify which mountains had goats on them or not. Then looked for logging roads that could get me close to the area I wanted. This was pre Google Earth era!

Drove up the next morning only to find road closure signs about 15 K from where I wanted to take a goat. Went back to Cranbrook, rented a couple mountain bikes and went back up. Rode or should I say pushed the bikes as far as we could and then began climbing. Saw goats right away and then needed to get above to sex them. Climbed all day, mostly hand over hand and came out above a lone one on a ledge. Could see the knobs behind his horns in my spotting scope and prepped for a shot.

It was so vertical, the 100 yards or so down to the billy that I couldn't balance over the cliff. My partner had to lay on my legs to anchor me as I arched down over the edge to get a bead. The ledge was 6 or 8 feet wide and he was looking away. I set the crosshairs right between his shoulder blades to spine him and touched the .270 off. Down he went.

Up he came! What in the world? Now he's wobbling on this ledge and so I sent one into his shoulder as he had moved so he wasn't straight down by now. That was where the tragedy began, he appeared to leap into the thin air, I saw him hit and blow up like a water balloon a couple times and then disintegrate into hundreds of stringy pieces. Not having climbing gear nor the expertise to use it, I just had to sit down in silence and reverently cut my tag.

Learned a lesson that day, that I have used on the two goats for myself since and three for my friends. Always make sure there is a landing ground for them somewhere nearby or you're not going to have anything to eat or mount. We climbed back down that evening to our bikes and coasted all the way back to the truck.

The silver lining to it all was... I came cruising around the corner on my bike and a white tail buck stood nearby and watched me stop, get my gun out of my pack, chamber a shell and well let's just say that there was plenty of tender venison burritos and hamburgers on my table that winter.