PDA

View Full Version : Hobson lake (Wells gray)

recoil
06-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Has anyone ever fished Hobson lake in Wells Gray park? I am thinking of heading there in the fall to try and fill and LEH tag and want to know if i should bring a rod?

Apparently there is also an outfitter than has quads that will take in you in from Quesnel lake, does anyone know who this is? Might be an alternative to flying in.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Here's one of the all time classic lines on HBC from butcher.......

"Your best bet is to go out to your truck and slam your balls in the door 3 or 4 times. That'll be about as gratifying as a 3-46 moose hunt in October"

SSS

horshur
06-27-2012, 02:18 PM
yeh except nobody is hunting hobson.....where do you suppose the moose come from that winter in the front country of the park.

I'd bring a rod.

recoil
06-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Your best bet is to go out to your truck and slam your balls in the door 3 or 4 times. That'll be about as gratifying as a 3-46 moose hunt in October"

Well after several years of drawing "nil" for other nearby areas i figured it's worth a shot, my buddy also failed to draw a moose tag this year so we are going no matter what. Its going to be GOS for mulie bucks in Oct and the moose rut will be on. Sounds more enjoyable to me than a nut slamming but we shall see. Hobson sounds rather disapointing though it looks like it should be full of feisty rainbows but perhaps not. I guess i will try plan B and hit up some of the other lakes in the MU. Thanks for the heads up.

SUAFOYT
07-07-2012, 08:22 AM
The Clearwater and the Azure are both 2 fish limit lakes. Never understood why as they're both very large and don't get much pressure. The connector between Azure and Clearwater has some beauty rainbows but it's a no fishing section. The trail to Hobson is not maintained by Parks anymore and the contractor focuses on the main sites so as a trail it's non existent. As far as moose go I spoke to a friend last night. He got drawn again for 3-46. Easy draw when the odds are less than 1-1. He scores every year in November but he's a fanatic. Have to be willing and most of all able to do lots of tough hiking and hauling.

pmj
07-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Here's one of the all time classic lines on HBC from butcher.......

"Your best bet is to go out to your truck and slam your balls in the door 3 or 4 times. That'll be about as gratifying as a 3-46 moose hunt in October"

SSS
You beat me to it. Yes, just an absolute classic line.

butcher
07-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I actually went to Hobson last year for 4 days in October. There are some moose up at the north end but LOTS of water and very thick brush.

Very few places to walk and you are not getting to the north end without a float plane.

I would also bring a boat. I did call one bull in but he got down wind and i never got a look at him. I wouldn't bother to bring fishing gear unless you like to eat suckers.

All in all, for the effort and cost, you'd be better to go somewhere with more moose IMO.

Oh yeah, and I still believe that whole ball slammin' thing.