PDA

View Full Version : Yalokom

BigD
11-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have any info about the upper Yalokom and the road over to BIG Bar Creek?

Is there a bridge over the Fraser?
Is the road rough?
How long would it take from Lilloet?
Thanks

Phil
11-09-2006, 11:56 AM
I spoke to a freind who takes the upper Yalokom road to big bar a few times a year on his dirt bike. He said that it is mostly double track and not too rough. "passable by any 4x4". As for the China Creek turn off to the logging main, he siad that it is very rough but passable by 4x4. Logging mains were all good though. When you get to the logging main from the China creek road you turn right to head back to Lilloett or left to Big bar. As for crossing the Fraser there is a ferry. Watch out for the guy with the banjo.:lol: Hope this is of some help

BigD
11-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks alot!! Happy Hunting

sako7mm
11-09-2006, 07:46 PM
I was just looing at the Drive BC website and it looks like the Big Bar ferry is not in service due to water levels. You may want to check on it before you go and try to get across.

highcountry88
11-17-2006, 06:45 PM
We just spent a couple days up near the Big Bar ferry, it was out of the water and we got a bunch of snow. We came up on the west pavilion out of Lilloett to the big bar ferry....saw about 80 deer but the majority were collecting on remote farmers hay fields. The road down to the ferry is steep and could be really ugly in deep snow.

Stresd
11-17-2006, 09:56 PM
We were up at Schraeder Lake last weekend as well .(Pavillion Rd) We still call it the Watson Bar rd. On the way out on Monday we counted 89 deer in those same three ajoining fields that the one farmer has. Was in Ginsing last year. Others were coming up and crossing right in front of us as we took pics. There were only 18 in them on the way in. Five Californias on the mountains side just before Lillooet as well.

browningboy
11-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Did you guys know you can get up there off road from harrison lake? Go east side, take Kookipee exit until you hit nahatlatch, hang a right once you pass the bridge, turn left at keefers exit (14km mark), turns into powerline road, end up in lytton, don't take first ferry, stay on gravel travel up the side of the fraser up to next ferry then skip tracks, well its a cool trip but snowed in now.

Stresd
11-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Think you meant that it ends up in lillooet. Yes have driven it numerous times. Kind of neat that you can drive the whole west side of the Fraser from Boston Bar all the way to the Big Bar ferry. Exellent trip Cross there on the Reaction Ferry to jesmond, up to the Gang Bridge and your back on the West side.

highcountry88
11-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Hunting the west pavilion and Schraeder lake area was a first time for me and our goal was to get to the bottom of region 5 but we couldn't there. My maps showed that we could get to the bottom end of region 5 by two routes;

travelling north on the west side of the Fraser from the Big Bar Ferry (there was a north-bound road at the ferry) but there but there was a spray painted sign saying private land blocking our way.
We also tried to get to region 5 from Schraeder lake and the GPS said we were close but no cigar.Need some advise from you guys that know the area. Can we get to region 5 from either of these two points?

MichelD
11-20-2006, 01:59 PM
I think guys go up the Mud Creek FSR towards Mud Lake and Schwartz lake to get into the bottom of region 5.

Others hike up Relay Creek, but that is an early season proposition.